The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 01-21-2021, 05:53 AM   #61
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist

As someone who has never purchased reissues before...
The boxes themselves look awesome!
Glad to have an opportunity to buy reissues.
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #62
mikey0
Foot Elite

When you consider that Playmates could have re-released both the Sewer Playset and Mutant Module, the boxes don’t seem as cool anymore.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:36 PM   #63
IMJ
Emperor

This image is infinitely useful when it comes to Playmates TMNT:

I can't help but think that the people who would buy this **** instead of digging in on a true vintage collection probably look (in their own way) just like the guy in the meme.....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:19 AM   #64
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post

https://i.imgur.com/Gk1X2UMl.jpg

I can't help but think that the people who would buy this **** instead of digging in on a true vintage collection probably look (in their own way) just like the guy in the meme.....
Ha, that's great.

In defense of those buying these retro lines though, if you were never around to get them when they first came out or were cheap on the secondary market then getting a re-release CAN be a more economic solution (especially in the case of Star Wars). Or maybe you've got the figures but none of the accessories, etc. There are reasons to jump in on some of these lines.

The people I don't get are the ones buying every freaking one of these re-releases, or saying they're getting them just for the boxes. Those people are headed for a collector crash at some point.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:36 AM   #65
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I agree with last posts. This new re-releases are good for the ones who don't already have the originals and just want to have a brand new unused and complete copy/reproduction. People who are buying these again and again just for the boxes or for the small differences are just dumb.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:27 AM   #66
mikey0
Foot Elite

Slash collectors should get the Retro Rotocast Villains Mutant Module Figure for the oversized rotocast head Slash. This will be the first Slash in history with a large soft head. I imagine it will display well with the Slash variations from 1990 and 25th Anniversary Edition Slash. Getting the box set will be less costly than getting the rotocast head Slash from the aftermarket.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:39 PM   #67
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

Quote:

https://i.imgur.com/Gk1X2UMl.jpg

totally agree with this, but i wasn't old enough to experience the MOTU craze, and the new ones are better articulated, but I hate playmates so yeah haha
Old 01-22-2021, 12:48 PM   #68
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnHawk View Post
the new ones are better articulated
Yeah I mean...at least there's that. But Playmates just digs out dusty molds and pours new resin in them....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:15 PM   #69
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Yeah I mean...at least there's that. But Playmates just digs out dusty molds and pours new resin in them....
haha spot on
Old 01-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #70
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I just wish people would stop buying these reissues so Playmates will finally wake up. I've been buying the MOTU Origins figures because not only are they newly articulated but there's lots of new molding too. And the prices on them are great.

If Playmate were doing the same I'd be supporting. But I'm not supporting this.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #71
mikey0
Foot Elite

Collectors stopped purchasing the Classic Collection Retro Collection figures in 2016 and Playmates rolled out the GameStop 35th Anniversary Edition Classic 1988 Action Figure 4-Pack in ‘19 and the box sets shortly afterwards. I hate to say it, but the 21st century will have lots of TMNT repros by Playmates.

Playmates started making reissues in the 1990s and the process has been on and off ever since. Completists are going to own them and the current President of Playmates Toys knows that.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-22-2021 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:31 AM   #72
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

well gamestop had this up at 22.99 and I preorderd it at that price, it's since been changed to 89.99, lets see if I will get it for that price....don't really care for it, but for 22.99 I'll happily take it
Old 01-29-2021, 10:16 AM   #73
mikey0
Foot Elite

GameStop wants buyers to make 4 payments of $22.49 for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Retro Sewer Lair 6 Piece Action Figure Set and 4 payments of $24.99 for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Retro Villains 6 Piece Action Figure Set.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:29 AM   #74
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
GameStop wants buyers to make 4 payments of $22.49 for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Retro Sewer Lair 6 Piece Action Figure Set and 4 payments of $24.99 for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Retro Villains 6 Piece Action Figure Set.
yeah they had a price mistake on their site, probably won't get it for that price but hey who knows
Old 07-28-2021, 05:46 PM   #75
mikey0
Foot Elite

These are hitting comic book stores in the US: https://www.instagram.com/p/CR43MjAsfjO/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CR47NqDMxBc/
Old 07-28-2021, 06:07 PM   #76
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

Does Playmates have a lifelong hold on turtles? I always hear it’s playmates making Neca and others jump through these hoops for 6-7” figures.

Can’t Nintendo just look at the money lost from scalpers and tell Playmates to F off?
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:39 PM   #77
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNES View Post
Does Playmates have a lifelong hold on turtles? I always hear it’s playmates making Neca and others jump through these hoops for 6-7” figures.

Can’t Nintendo just look at the money lost from scalpers and tell Playmates to F off?
Essentially yes, as far as anyone truly knows Playmates still has a master license, but if they pass on something then others can do things. Nickelodeon can and has essentially 'put playmates in their place' and let others like NECA or Super 7 do things as well.

As far as what I have come to understand about playmates and product is this. Playmates has to put forth 'an effort'. What that means is they can show prototypes etc so they can say "See look, we can do collector stuff as well."

They did that when they showed those mirage shredder/foot protos years ago. It was to keep Neca from doing more mirage TMNT figures because Playmates could say "See! We aren't passing on this product segment, we have mirage figures too so as the master license holder we aren't passing." Then they end up not putting things out but by that time the other company, in this case neca, moved on.

The new 2 packs coming out are specifically geared to keep Neca out of the toy isle and only in the collectible section of target for example.

Considering how many companies are out there selling TMNT stuff it does seem like Nick has loosened up those rights a bit more.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:43 PM   #78
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
Playmates has to put forth 'an effort'. What that means is they can show prototypes etc so they can say "See look, we can do collector stuff as well."
Makes sense but why do that unless they genuinely think
there is a market for what Neca is doing... And if there's a market,
why not profit from it? New molds cost too much to make?
That's why they keep releasing the same figures.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:55 PM   #79
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
Makes sense but why do that unless they genuinely think
there is a market for what Neca is doing... And if there's a market,
why not profit from it? New molds cost too much to make?
That's why they keep releasing the same figures.
Look at what they release. It is minimum 'collector' effort. They just don't think it is worth actual collector lines are worth the time/effort.

But what they WILL do is release specific product, at specific scales/price points to ensure Neca/Super 7 doesn't get a larger retail presence.

They just want to keep the lights on aka keep the license active by doing small product drops until a new series or movie comes out when they can unleash a real retail presence/line and make money.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:16 PM   #80
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

Makes sense. But I would still think getting a slice of every neca sale would trump a playmates series run. Especially the last being Rise.
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote