The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
Zachatello00
Domehead
 
Zachatello00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Down on the farm
Posts: 1,811
What Box Set should be next?

With Playmates re-releasing some of their previous figures in these new box sets (original, comic book, and movie, coming soon), which do you think should be the next set they put out? There's no shortage of turtle variant figures from over the years, so the possibilities certainly abound.

Personally, I'd love to see a set of storage shell turtles get re-released. Maybe rounded out with Casey and April, who haven't been put in a box set yet.

Thoughts?
__________________
"Maybe somebody ought to tell him that we're the good guys!"
Zachatello00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:45 PM   #2
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 25,827
I'd throw in for a Next Mutation box (the figures are pretty cool, and all of my originals are falling apart)...but who would be the 6th figure? Splinter? Dragon Lord? Shredder?
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:50 PM   #3
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
With Playmates re-releasing some of their previous figures in these new box sets (original, comic book, and movie, coming soon), which do you think should be the next set they put out? There's no shortage of turtle variant figures from over the years, so the possibilities certainly abound.

Personally, I'd love to see a set of storage shell turtles get re-released. Maybe rounded out with Casey and April, who haven't been put in a box set yet.

Thoughts?
What would the box look like for the Storage Shell turtles, Casey Jones, and April O’ Neil? Also, blue stripe April or orange pocket flap April with the animated head?

I could see a Technodrome box set with the mini Krang’s Android Body, General Traag, Chromedome, Robotic Foot Soldier , Robotic Bebop, and Robotic Rocksteady. This would be the first box set of the 2020s to encapsulate 2 soft head figures. We would finally have all of the evil mechanical creations of Shredder’s in one set.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:51 PM   #4
Zachatello00
Domehead
 
Zachatello00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Down on the farm
Posts: 1,811
Dragonlord would be cool, but I could see them doing Splinter and Shredder. Those seem to be the preferred choices, at least at the Playmates level.

I have the four turtles, and I love them. I agree that the NM would be a great set to revisit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
What would the box look like for the Storage Shell turtles, Casey Jones, and April O’ Neil? Also, blue stripe April or orange pocket flap April with the animated head?
Maybe the channel six news van? Or something like the pizza thrower? Either one would be cool. I'd imagine the April would be the blue stripe version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
I could see a Technodrome box set with the mini Krang’s Android Body, General Traag, Chromedome, Robotic Foot Soldier , Robotic Bebop, and Robotic Rocksteady. This would be the first box set of the 2020s to encapsulate 2 soft head figures. We would finally have all of the evil mechanical creations of Shredder’s in one set.
This ALL DAY long!
__________________
"Maybe somebody ought to tell him that we're the good guys!"
Zachatello00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:53 PM   #5
TMNTFanatic4Life
Hench Mutant
 
TMNTFanatic4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 396
Next Mutation

I would like to own set since this is the only line from Playmates that I don’t have any figures from. Well that and the 2007 movie.
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:08 PM   #6
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
Dragonlord would be cool, but I could see them doing Splinter and Shredder. Those seem to be the preferred choices, at least at the Playmates level.

I have the four turtles, and I love them. I agree that the NM would be a great set to revisit.
It would be even better if there was a heroes and villains set for NM. The turtles, Venus, and Splinter in a Mutant Marauder box and Shredder, Dragon Lord, Elite Guard, Rank Warrior, Bone Steel, and Silver in a box with Shredder’s Lair on it.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:17 PM   #7
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 25,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
It would be even better if there was a heroes and villains set for NM. The turtles, Venus, and Splinter in a Mutant Marauder box and Shredder, Dragon Lord, Elite Guard, Rank Warrior, Bone Steel, and Silver in a box with Shredder’s Lair on it.
I could get behind this...
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #8
sdp
Digi Goth
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 8,740
I'd be down for a Next Mutation turtles, 2k3, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'd throw in for a Next Mutation box (the figures are pretty cool, and all of my originals are falling apart)...but who would be the 6th figure? Splinter? Dragon Lord? Shredder?
Both Shredder and Dragonlord had cool figures, it'd make more sense to have Dragonlord since he was the actual villain.
__________________

PM me for an invite to the TechnoDrome Discord
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:16 PM   #9
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTFanatic4Life View Post
Next Mutation

I would like to own set since this is the only line from Playmates that I don’t have any figures from. Well that and the 2007 movie.
Both the NM (excluding Venus) and the TMNT turtles were extremely hard to find in 1997 and 2007. In fact, the first version of the NM turtles that I saw at KB Toys was the Thunder Thrashers in ‘98. I thought I saw them in a box set, but the only box set I can find online is the Special Edition Deluxe Box Set with basic Leo, basic Venus, Dragon Lord, and the Elite Guard. Perhaps, I’m not remembering the Thunder Thrashers packages correctly. It’s been over 20 years, so it’s a little hazy in my memory bank.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:19 PM   #10
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 25,827
I bought my NM figures while my family was in Italy when my dad was in the Air Force. Got the Turtles, Splinter, Shredder, Dragon Lord, a Rank, 5 Elite, Bonesteel, and the Mutant Marauder.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:21 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 20,704
Just speculation, but I'm pretty sure anytime Nick or Playmates wants to release anything of TNM (not that they necessarily would, or should want to) the rights might be a bit of a tangled web.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:24 PM   #12
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 25,827
You're probably right. I'm sure Saban has some rights.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:26 PM   #13
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,085
I mean they did throw in a NM fig in that Leo box set.
__________________
LOOKING FOR Japanese TMNT video game manuals (specifically TMNT2/3 NES, all on Game Boy, TMNT4/RoS), or just scans

Admin of Turtlepedia. If you have any questions or problems, let me know!

Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:34 PM   #14
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,724
Playmates has never re-released the TMNT movie figures from 2007. A box set with the turtles, Splinter, and Shredder would be neat. Unfortunately, the Stone Generals were the antagonists in the 2007 movie. Therefore, a box set with the turtles, Splinter, and Max Winters that came packaged in a Cowabunga Carl Party Van box would be more appropriate.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #15
frank_one
Mad Scientist
 
frank_one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern Europe
Posts: 1,309
It would be interesting to see Playmates following Super7 and re-releasing the original figures of whatever set of figures they release. Whenever Super7 announces a new Ultimate wave, Playmates could release those same vintage figures. This could even be a good move from a commercial perspective as whenever Super7 puts out an Ultimate version of an old figure, the interest for the vintage version of that figure rises a little bit. They could even work together and release a box set containing the Ultimate figure AND the original vintage figure.

Other than that, one thing I would like to see back is Giant Turtles:
https://www.tmnttoys.com/90others/giants/index.html
but this time with heads mimicking the ones from the original 1988 first wave.

Last edited by frank_one; 01-20-2021 at 05:10 PM.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:10 PM   #16
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,724
I’m sure a box set with Mutagen Man, Mondo Gecko, Metalhead, Wacky Walkin’ Mouser (or Muckman), blue stripe April O’ Neil, and Casey Jones would sell out on Big Bad Toy Store in a heartbeat.

Playmates could certainly make a Prototype Giant Size TMNT Figure Set with a box featuring one large hole in the brick wall. That would be awesome.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-20-2021 at 05:16 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:19 PM   #17
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 12,541
They should make a box set of the 2012 series. But put it out on Blu-ray. Wasn't it annoying how they released those episodes on DVD? Yet they were in HD during the broadcast.
__________________
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:26 PM   #18
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 6,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
They should make a box set of the 2012 series. But put it out on Blu-ray. Wasn't it annoying how they released those episodes on DVD? Yet they were in HD during the broadcast.
yes they should but i guess Nick doesn't want money cause id buy it in a heart beat.
__________________





I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:08 PM   #19
Coro
Mad Scientist
 
Coro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO USA
Posts: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
It would be interesting to see Playmates following Super7 and re-releasing the original figures of whatever set of figures they release. Whenever Super7 announces a new Ultimate wave, Playmates could release those same vintage figures. This could even be a good move from a commercial perspective as whenever Super7 puts out an Ultimate version of an old figure, the interest for the vintage version of that figure rises a little bit. They could even work together and release a box set containing the Ultimate figure AND the original vintage figure.

Other than that, one thing I would like to see back is Giant Turtles:
https://www.tmnttoys.com/90others/giants/index.html
but this time with heads mimicking the ones from the original 1988 first wave.



OOOOhhhhhhh! Hell yeah! Reissue the giants! BRILLIANT IDEA
__________________
SuperChadMonkey
Space Monkey Toys

Coro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:13 PM   #20
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,724
How about themed sets?

I could see Raph, the Space Cadet, General Traag, Triceraton, Zak, the Neutrino, Fugitoid, and Space Usagi in a space adventure figure set. Mike, the Sewer Surfer would fit in nicely with Merdude, Ray Filet, Leatherhead, Genghis Frog, and Napoleon Bonafrog. Playmates could throw in the new Original Comic Book Shredder or Slice ‘N Dice Shredder with Usagi Yojimbo, Leo, the Sewer Samurai, Panda Khan, Tattoo, and Creepy Crawlin’ Splinter. I imagine Don, the Undercover Turtle could be bundled with Toon April , Irma, Vernon, Burne, and Toon Shredder.

It would be even more perfect if Playmates could do box sets with the turtle variants that some of the oldtime collectors missed in the 90s like the Apollo 11 and Undercover Turtles figures.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.