The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #21
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I just wish it would be the Lola Bunny from The Looney Tunes Show.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
Why? the first one was horrible.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #22
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

The film is scheduled for release on July 16, 2021.

Space Jam 2 Release Date Set for 2021!
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:24 AM   #23
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

I actually liked the original as a guilty pleasure and liked it, plus Lola was fine as hell just like Minerva Mink, Cleo from Heathcliff, Mona Lisa etc, LOL.

Last edited by Egon1982; 02-22-2019 at 03:39 AM.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #24
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Just in case no one already knew, it was reported earlier that Ryan Coogler (Black Panther, Creed) has signed on to produce the film. It will also be directed by Terence Nance (Random Acts of Flyness, The Oversimplification of Her Beauty).
Old 02-23-2019, 01:19 PM   #25
Leo656
The Franchise

Lola better be in it and she better be voiced by Kath Soucie, or I'm totally not interested. I don't think I even know what Lebron James looks like.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:00 PM   #26
ZariusTwo
Overlord

This time Dan Ackroyd better be in this picture.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #27
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Lola better be in it and she better be voiced by Kath Soucie, or I'm totally not interested. I don't think I even know what Lebron James looks like.
Well it looks like Lola will be in the film based on this image from SpringHill Entertainment.

https://twitter.com/SpringHillEnt/st...63688083746816
Old 02-23-2019, 03:12 PM   #28
Prowler
Emperor

I did like Lola's character in the original Space Jam movie. As for the Looney Tunes show that aired a few years ago, only seen a couple of episodes or so. I guess she felt more like an actual Looney Tunes character there, but it was a bit odd to see Bugs all serious when talking to her and such. I feel like he had better chemistry with Lola from Space Jam, and it was also interesting to see someone Bugs couldn't one up for once.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #29
Leo656
The Franchise

I wasn't really about it. It was like a totally different character that just happened to have the same name.

I mean, she was funny, but she wasn't Lola. Otherwise the character was fine. That show had a lot of problems though.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:40 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I wasn't really about it. It was like a totally different character that just happened to have the same name.

I mean, she was funny, but she wasn't Lola. Otherwise the character was fine. That show had a lot of problems though.
From the few episodes I've seen, the show just didn't feel much like the Looney Tunes I was used to. It just felt "too normal", I guess. It was odd to me to watch the gang having normal jobs and lives instead of just seeing them at the forest and such. No idea if there's episodes where you see Bugs Bunny messing with Elmer Fudd or Coyote in Death valley trying to catch the Road Runner for the 4567th time or not, but from the few episodes I've seen of it it just seemed too different and lacked the whackiness that the original Looney Tunes had. Plus, it felt a bit too sanitised as well. It didnt' seem to have the edge Looney Tunes always had.

Maybe since the show was an attempt at getting the current generation of kids into Looney Tunes they tried to present it in a more in touch with the current times fashion, but I dunno, I grew up watching the old Looney Tunes shorts on Cartoon Network when I was a kid in the 90s and loved them, even though I knew they were quite old by then. I've always viewed the Looney Tunes as being one of those timeless things anyone can enjoy, but maybe I'm wrong.

Oh well, there's always the classics.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:51 PM   #31
Leo656
The Franchise

I kinda think that as overall "Okay, I guess" as Space Jam is, it's officially the last time anything "Looney Tunes" was relevant. Which is probably why there's been a push to revive it ever since. Literally nothing else they've done with the brand has meant anything ever since. It's a shame, but clearly the struggle to make Looney Tunes "hip" that they've been waging since 1993 is a losing battle.

All anyone cares about is the "classics". These new shows are... eh, they have their moments but they're definitely their own thing. And nobody's going to be talking about them in 50 years the way we still remember the shorts from the 40s that they used to play on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, or ABC Saturday Morning or whatever.

You can give 'em all the skateboards, backwards hats and basketball movies you want, you can't change that. "Looney Tunes" is the old stuff; everything since then is hipster parody and self-satire. Which is alright sometimes, but it's definitely not as timeless or endearing as the other stuff.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #32
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I kinda think that as overall "Okay, I guess" as Space Jam is, it's officially the last time anything "Looney Tunes" was relevant. Which is probably why there's been a push to revive it ever since. Literally nothing else they've done with the brand has meant anything ever since. It's a shame, but clearly the struggle to make Looney Tunes "hip" that they've been waging since 1993 is a losing battle.

All anyone cares about is the "classics". These new shows are... eh, they have their moments but they're definitely their own thing. And nobody's going to be talking about them in 50 years the way we still remember the shorts from the 40s that they used to play on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, or ABC Saturday Morning or whatever.

You can give 'em all the skateboards, backwards hats and basketball movies you want, you can't change that. "Looney Tunes" is the old stuff; everything since then is hipster parody and self-satire. Which is alright sometimes, but it's definitely not as timeless or endearing as the other stuff.
Yes, Looney Tunes Back in Action came out in 2003 and it wasn't as successful as Space Jam, at all. Rarely do I hear people talk about that movie. I went to see it at the cinema and I thought it was ok for what it was, but clearly not really worth a re-watch.

Does the same thing perhaps happen with Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, etc? Come to think of it, everyone knows the core Disney characters, but when people talk about their favourite Disney stuff they'll talk about all the Disney animated movies they grew up instead of anything they saw Donald or Mickey in. Here in Europe we grew up reading Disney comic books in the 80s/90s where the characters' personalites are more fleshed out and where characters like Scrooge McDuck really shine, but they're not that popular anymore. They came back a few years ago, but it seems like pretty much only Italians bother to draw Disney comics these days.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #33
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, basically. Some stuff is simply too "of its time" to be updated. Doesn't mean it can't still be enjoyable even today, but that mostly only counts in the sense of the original stuff that made it popular in the first place. The stuff produced past a certain point serves little purpose but to remind everyone that the older, better stuff still exists.

As for "Back In Action", Jenna Elfman is hot, but that's about all I remember aside from the fact Goldberg was in it.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #34
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Yeah, basically. Some stuff is simply too "of its time" to be updated. Doesn't mean it can't still be enjoyable even today, but that mostly only counts in the sense of the original stuff that made it popular in the first place. The stuff produced past a certain point serves little purpose but to remind everyone that the older, better stuff still exists.

As for "Back In Action", Jenna Elfman is hot, but that's about all I remember aside from the fact Goldberg was in it.
Goldberg was only in it as a background bodyguard anyway. I don't think he even had a single line in the movie.

Tom & Jerry also had an animated film in the late 90s. I liked it a lot as a kid as did other kids at my school, but I have no idea if it was successful. Also, wasn't the Tom & Jerry Kids series airing in the 90s as well? I guess that was an attempt at making T&J more appealing to kids at the time?

Without googling it, I have no idea what's going on with Tom & Jerry these days. If it's still relevant or if it's pretty much just shelved/dead. Haven't heard of anything Tom & Jerry in ages.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:06 PM   #35
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I don’t know about that release date. They’ve brought it up several times. Seems like it’s just...eventually.

I liked the first one fine. It’s entertaining. Yes Lola is hot. I’d assume she’d be in it no matter what. It’s where she was introduced to the franchise.

Have not seen Back in Action. I thought The LT Show was good. Wabbit is decent. From what I’ve seen.

I think the newest Tom and Jerry Show is still going but they moved everything to that Boomerang streaming service. It might have ended.

I thought Tom and Jerry Kids was good. They were cute.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:34 PM   #36
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I liked the first one fine. It’s entertaining. Yes Lola is hot. I’d assume she’d be in it no matter what. It’s where she was introduced to the franchise.

Have not seen Back in Action. I thought The LT Show was good. Wabbit is decent. From what I’ve seen.

I think the newest Tom and Jerry Show is still going but they moved everything to that Boomerang streaming service. It might have ended.

I thought Tom and Jerry Kids was good. They were cute.
I kinda like/have a guilty pleasure for the later Tom and Jerry cartoons as someone who adores the originals.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
From the few episodes I've seen, the show just didn't feel much like the Looney Tunes I was used to. It just felt "too normal", I guess. It was odd to me to watch the gang having normal jobs and lives instead of just seeing them at the forest and such. No idea if there's episodes where you see Bugs Bunny messing with Elmer Fudd or Coyote in Death valley trying to catch the Road Runner for the 4567th time or not, but from the few episodes I've seen of it it just seemed too different and lacked the whackiness that the original Looney Tunes had. Plus, it felt a bit too sanitised as well. It didnt' seem to have the edge Looney Tunes always had.

Maybe since the show was an attempt at getting the current generation of kids into Looney Tunes they tried to present it in a more in touch with the current times fashion, but I dunno, I grew up watching the old Looney Tunes shorts on Cartoon Network when I was a kid in the 90s and loved them, even though I knew they were quite old by then. I've always viewed the Looney Tunes as being one of those timeless things anyone can enjoy, but maybe I'm wrong.

Oh well, there's always the classics.
The Looney Tunes Show was essentially a slice-of-life cartoon. It's actually not weird to see LT attempting something like that, imo. I felt it worked even though some episodes were rather odd, even for LT. I did like Lola in Space Jam but she was...interesting in this show. The Nostalgia Critic actually preferred this take on her since I guess it gives her a personality. Me personally, I could take or leave a LT character with personality because most characters have substance.

I like shows like Duck Dodgers, Baby Looney Tunes, and The Looney Tunes Show. I couldn't get into Loonatics Unleashed though. Too weird for my tastes. I can just watch Super Rabbit or Stuuuuper Duck for my fill of LT characters as super heroes. Have not yet watched the New Looney Tunes (formerly known as Wabbit for its first season).
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:51 AM   #37
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ya I’ve liked all the Tom and Jerry eras. I never knew some were against certain versions til the internet.

Some have different art style but that doesn’t really bother me. I do prefer the traditional look though.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:14 AM   #38
Leo656
The Franchise

I always thought Space Jam Lola HAD a personality: Independent, "empowered" (before that was a buzzword), confident go-getter who keeps fit, speaks her mind, and is a team player. We learn buckets about her despite her tragically limited screen time. Like yes, she's hot, but if she wasn't also a well-developed (pun may or may not be intended) character then people wouldn't still care half as much, or notice when her personality is presented "wrong" in another medium. I thought her personality as presented in the film was fine. It's hard to create a brand new character for a long-existing franchise and not "Scrappy-Doo" 'em, but they pulled it off very well.

Contrasted with her "personality" on the Looney Tunes Show: Clingy, obsessive, bubble-headed, co-dependent pseudo-stalker. They're NOT the same character at all. If one version of a character most likely couldn't even stand to be around another version of (ostensibly) the same character, someone has messed up badly. Not only are they not the same character, they wouldn't even be friends. That's just terrible, lazy writing. It's clear to me that they wanted Bugs to have a "girlfriend" for the show with that specific, off-putting personality, but were afraid to come up with a new character since they knew everyone would ask "Where's Lola?" So they just threw out everything about Lola that was endearing and made her an empty vessel to pour a new personality into because it better fit the project.

To me, it begs the question of WHY they wanted Bugs to have a "girlfriend" he secretly could barely tolerate to begin with, but hey, I'm not Warner Bros. For all we know, if they'd left well enough alone that show might still be on the air. Probably not, but I know very few people genuinely LIKED the change, and wanted to see the character they already knew and liked rather well. So it's hard to imagine the reception would have been any worse.
--------

I kind of liked the "slice of life" stuff with that show, and after all, it's nothing new, but I generally prefer that it be in small doses. As others have said, I grew up on "Looney Tunes" shows that were about 6-minute wacky skits that were as batsh*t crazy as possible. The entire point was being off the wall and imaginative. Seeing Bugs going about mundane tasks such as paying bills and whatnot is fun sometimes, but also completely misses the point. Again, you can do it sometimes, and they always have, but I feel like making that the entire show's premise was a mistake. People want to see Wile E. try and fail to catch the Road Runner, to disastrous comedic effect and grievous self-injury; nobody wants to see them sitting around a Starbucks making idle chitchat. Not more than once in a blue moon, anyway. It's a mishandling of the characters. Not an "assassination", but it definitely doesn't use them to their fullest potential, either.

"Mundane" isn't something Looney Tunes should ever be, in my opinion. But again, it's been a long time since anyone truly cared, so they're at a loss as to how to engage a newer audience, so they try these things. I get it. And I don't envy them, either. But it shouldn't be a mystery why it doesn't ultimately work.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:38 AM   #39
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I agree Lola already had a pretty clear personality.

I didn’t mind LT Show Lola though. She was kinda funny.

I don’t think it was some blasphemy against Space Jam. It’s just a reimagining for that particular show.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:02 AM   #40
Leo656
The Franchise

She was "kinda funny", yeah, but she absolutely wasn't Lola, is my point. It was a bit farther than a "reimagining". They kept the name and practically zero else.

I don't know what they teach in writing classes nowadays, I'm almost 20 years out of school. "Back in my day", though, we called that "horse sh*t". If all you keep is a name, it's not the same character, call them something else.