The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-19-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

DC's Stargirl Live-Action Series

Quote:
Geoff Johns and Greg Berlanti will exec produce the live-action series, which marks the sixth overall for DC Universe.
DC Universe is making a big splash at San Diego Comic-Con.
The forthcoming subscription video on demand platform opened the confab with a first look at its scripted originals with Titans and on Thursday afternoon unveiled its sixth overall series: a live-action Stargirl.
Geoff Johns, who revealed the news during his spotlight panel, will write and exec produce the 13-episode scripted original series via his Mad Ghost Productions banner. The drama hails from Warner Bros. Television and Greg Berlanti's studio-based Berlanti Productions, with Sarah Schechter also serving as an exec producer. The series will bow in 2019.
Stargirl follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore who inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. The series reimagines Stargirl and the very first superhero team, the Justice Society of America, in a fun, exciting and unpredictable series.

Johns and Lee Moder created the character, who was named after the former's sister, Courtney, who died in the 1996 explosion of TWA Flight 800. The character made her first appearance in July 1999's Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. #1.

All told, Stargirl is DC Universe's sixth overall series. The platform, which launches in August, previously announced live-action straight-to-series orders for Swamp Thing; Doom Patrol; Superman prequel Metropolis; Titans; and a pair of animated series from Warner Bros. Animation, Harley Quinn and Young Justice: Outsiders.
With Stargirl, Berlanti has padded his TV record to 15 live-action scripted series — all dramas. Of those, 10 are on broadcast: The CW's All American, Arrow, Black Lightning, Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash, Riverdale and Supergirl; NBC's Blindspot; CBS' God Friended Me and The Red Line; plus one at Netflix, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina; Lifetime's You; and DC Universe's Titans and Doom Patrol. Berlanti also stands to add yet another DC superhero drama next season as The CW announced plans to bring Batwoman to the small screen with the prolific producer and writer Caroline Dries.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ervice-1128481

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:27 PM   #2
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Wonder if they'll get the actress who played her in Legends of Tomorrow?
Old 07-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Johns and Lee Moder created the character, who was named after the former's sister, Courtney, who died in the 1996 explosion of TWA Flight 800.
Jesus, and Geoff "The Hackman" Johns makes sure and remind us of that each and every time Stargirl has been trotted out, ever.

Nobody cares about her. Stop trying to guilt us into liking her. If I name a new character after my dead grandmother that doesn't add some kind of prestige.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
CharmedSerenity
Mad Scientist

Finally a live-action DC series with a heroine I like, wonder who'd be cast as her family (especially Pat) though.

CharmedSerenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #5
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Jesus, and Geoff "The Hackman" Johns makes sure and remind us of that each and every time Stargirl has been trotted out, ever.
Did Geoff write that press release?

I never really got the appeal of Star Girl, though I did like her small chat with Chloe about family in Smallville. Other than that.... I just don't care. My fandom with DC has taken a serious beating over the last few years.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Did Geoff write that press release?
Whether he did or didn't, you can be damn sure he made sure it was in there. It's always in every Stargirl press release since forever, whether it was for JSA or her failed ongoing or specials. I bet there's even Smallville press releases about her with that in there, too.

*Edit: There IS! http://www.kryptonsite.com/geoff-joh...te-justice.htm
Old 07-19-2018, 05:19 PM   #7
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Haha I guess. Just seems like one of those "fun facts" that press junkets like to throw in that required the least amount of research.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Haha I guess. Just seems like one of those "fun facts" that press junkets like to throw in that required the least amount of research.
It's just super annoying. Like her whole worth as a character is boiled down and defined by "Geoff Johns named her after his dead sister." wtf is that? Why is that a thing?
Old 07-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #9
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

Another show? There are TOO MANY DC shows. I can't watch them all!!!!

"I am absolute, lower your head!"
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #10
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

*shruggs* Beats me. Like I said, I never really got her. I just figured it was like that "It really is a Homecoming" quote that was attached to every little bit of news that came out regarding Spider-Man: Homecoming because press writers are a lazy bunch.

As far as the rest of this DC service goes, I'm basically just hoping a Booster Gold/Blue and Gold series is announced. Swamp Thing I'm curious about but not holding my breath for a quality product.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:44 PM   #11
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Could be good but if it's anything like that Titans show then more then likely not.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #12
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Yolanda Montez AKA Wildcat II will make an appearance on the show: https://thegww.com/exclusive-wildcat...irl-tv-series/

Old 08-07-2018, 05:15 AM   #13
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Why not do an animated series because another CW show or netflix "too series" show does not interest me.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #14
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Brec Bassinger has been casted as Stargirl: https://ew.com/tv/2018/09/20/dc-univ...stargirl-lead/

Old 09-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Brec Bassinger has been casted as Stargirl: https://ew.com/tv/2018/09/20/dc-univ...stargirl-lead/
I like that the article again points out that Geoff Johns named her after his dead sister. It's important to mention that every time, anywhere, apparently.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #16
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Joel McHale has been casted as Sylvester Pemberton aka Golden Age Starman: https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/joe...ve-1203087415/

Old 12-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Joel McHale has been casted as Sylvester Pemberton aka Golden Age Starman: https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/joe...ve-1203087415/
Wow, ANOTHER article that makes it a point to mention that Stargirl is named after Geoff Johns' dead sister! Whoddathunkit?
Old 12-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm wondering where they have the budget to make like 5+ ongoing series at once now. Is DC just giving them unlimited funds to pump out as many live-action DC shows as possible?

What are we up to now:

Arrow
Flash
Supergirl
Black Lightning
Legends of Tomorrow
Stargirl
Batwoman

Teen Titans
Krypton

This is getting crazy.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #19
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm wondering where they have the budget to make like 5+ ongoing series at once now. Is DC just giving them unlimited funds to pump out as many live-action DC shows as possible?

What are we up to now:

Arrow
Flash
Supergirl
Black Lightning
Legends of Tomorrow
Stargirl
Batwoman

Teen Titans
Krypton

This is getting crazy.
Titans and Stargirl are on the Streaming Service while the others are on National TV IE CW and SyFy
Old 12-12-2018, 01:19 PM   #20
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter the boss View Post
Another show? There are TOO MANY DC shows. I can't watch them all!!!!
the only one that is still worth watching is flash.

Somehow, it still remains fun, and has not suffered from advanced SJW syndrome like the other shows have had.

saw a press release about elseworlds on facebook, and apparently supergirl has gotten much, much worse in that department going by the comments.

damn shame.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead sister