The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What Do You Think Of Venus De Milo?
She's a useless and un-neccesary character 54 64.29%
She wasn't a bad character and she gets too much hate 30 35.71%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Why Do People Hate Venus So Much?

Why do most TMNT fans hate Venus de milo (from the next mutation) so much? I can understand that people don't like the idea of a 5th turtle, but Venus isn't such a bad character in my opinion. Most people focus too much on the "5th Turtle" aspect instead of Venus herself. I think that the character gets too much hate. What do you guys think?
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

It was because she was a poorly handled character on the show.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
It was because she was a poorly handled character on the show.
That may be true, but some people act like she is the worst thing that ever happened in TMNT
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
gobo
Wacky Action

She was handled better than the other characters. IMO, she's given a bum rap because she's the poster child of the TMNT franchise's time 'sleeping with the enemy' (Saban).

EDIT: Don't you DARE accuse me of defending her.

Last edited by gobo; 08-25-2012 at 05:04 PM.
gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
Gyt Kaliba
Stone Warrior

I'd agree that the hate goes too far probably - I've seen some people play the 'ruined forever' card, and really, if an additional character that exists in only ONE incarnation ruins the rest of something you love, you're taking it far too seriously.

That said though, she's definitely not handled very well at all in the series from what I remember. I would not be against a new take on the character that tried something new with her though.

Also, the whole 'shinobi and ninja are two different things' bit always irked me.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
mikey22
Stone Warrior

she had horrible jokes and dialogue

no one really was interested in the shinobi

it made her stronger than all 4 original ninja turtles

it was cool for a twist and fresh idea but poorly utilized.. then again that whole show stunk anyways lol
mikey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
psych23232323
Foot Soldier

I didn't particularly hate Venus really.

I guess the dialogue and how she was handled cause they did the gimmick of "I'm a foreigner and don't know certain customs." cause I think she lived in a temple her whole life or something like that.

But I didn't like the show really.

One in particular is when Donatello was brainwashed to doing crime. What the heck does wearing a black eye mask over a purple one accomplish?!
psych23232323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Victorsaurus
Foot Soldier

She's my second favorite TMNT character.
(please respect this, no questions please)

Anyways, like the other members said
5th turtle shows up, because of her for some reasons they are not related (how did they even figure it out? DNA test?), shinobi, to me she always had a clueless voice.
She's was new there, but maybe in a second season she could have developed more.

http://sot.ag/gk6B/
Victorsaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I think for me it was the whole "Oh, we're not brothers!" bit that did it for me. it was a ploy to take Venus from sister to potential love interest. That's icky. That and she took out Shredder (not to mention the boys themselves) singlehandedly. Then there's the forced culture shock/misinterpretation of American slang/metaphors. That and adding the "Oh, where were 5 turtles, Splinter just missed one..." to the origin seems off.

Sorry, Victorsaurus, but I've gotta ask: Why is Venus your 2nd favorite?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
Powder
So tired of this place

She's a Mary-Sue sh*tty deviantart tier character. I don't hate her conceptutally, she was just handled extremely poorly.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #11
Lance_Steele
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
She's a Mary-Sue sh*tty deviantart tier character. I don't hate her conceptutally, she was just handled extremely poorly.
I agree.

Never hated her but I wish they fleshed her out better like it was stated better. Had she been on equal terms with the turtles she would have more love. And also wouldn't she be considered kunoichi than a shinobi?

Warning! Objects in mirror are closer than they appear...
Lance_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

We just don't need a girl turtle, period.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I've posted the reasons why a ton of times but I'll do it again, so if you've read this before just skip it.

Venus is used as a scapegoat for TNM.

The 5th turtle, people just don't like having a 5th turtle and are very vocal about it regardless of whether she was a good character or not. Also the fact that she's a girl get's people angry, get's even more people to dislike her. Also the fact that TNM is not a great show people just seem to want to blame the new character from that show.

Ironically Venus is the best handled character in the show, she is never made the annoying character people make her out to be. Also the "we're not brothers" is also blown out of proportion since after the first or second episode the turtles never show any interest in Venus.

Sadly she likely will never appear because of the negative stigma surrounding her just like scrappy doo in Scooby Doo, even though Scrappy pretty much saved the franchise at one point and was only super annoying in certain seasons not his first or last appearances. She had an interesting background and could've made an much more compelling character that sadly we'll never see again.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:09 AM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

Those poll options don't accurately reflect my feelings either way.

I'm always of the Grant Morrison mindset that says "There are NO bad characters or ideas, just badly executed ones." I think Venus could have worked, although probably only in a context like TNM or even the OT. I don't think even the idea itself would have fit in well with Mirage's universe, but who knows? Archie's universe could have made it work, possibly.

I think it was just the entire show was bad, and that NOTHING about it was done with any real care. None of the characters or ideas were done well, in either writing or execution. I don't think the character itself was blasphemy.

If Venus showed up in another incarnation I wouldn't necessarily hate it. I'd prefer she not be so closely connected to their origins, and especially not over-powered to the point where the other guys become guest stars in their own universe.

Anyone else think the "Smoking Hot Turtle Chick" Mikey meets at the end of the aborted TMNT script was gonna be named "Venus"? I'd be shocked if that wasn't the plan when they wrote it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
gobo
Wacky Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorsaurus View Post
She's my second favorite TMNT character.
(please respect this, no questions please)
O_o Why not?

Oh, wait! That's a question. Apologies! Disregard!

Old 08-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #16
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I had no problem with Venus' character. Lots of potential and all that. I guess the only problem was how she was executed, not necessarily the character itself. Her background was interesting to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance_Steele View Post
I agree.

Never hated her but I wish they fleshed her out better like it was stated better. Had she been on equal terms with the turtles she would have more love. And also wouldn't she be considered kunoichi than a shinobi?
Shinobi is pretty much unisex, to my knowledge, but yeah, Kunoichi would've been better to use given she was a "female ninja".
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Sadly she likely will never appear because of the negative stigma surrounding her just like scrappy doo in Scooby Doo, even though Scrappy pretty much saved the franchise at one point and was only super annoying in certain seasons not his first or last appearances.
You know, I never thought of Scrappy as really annoying. He was a puppy so it was expected for him to be hyper and jumping in headfirst into situations. Only thing I hated was the dynamic change. I found that more annoying than Scrappy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Those poll options don't accurately reflect my feelings either way.

I'm always of the Grant Morrison mindset that says "There are NO bad characters or ideas, just badly executed ones." I think Venus could have worked, although probably only in a context like TNM or even the OT. I don't think even the idea itself would have fit in well with Mirage's universe, but who knows? Archie's universe could have made it work, possibly.

I think it was just the entire show was bad, and that NOTHING about it was done with any real care. None of the characters or ideas were done well, in either writing or execution. I don't think the character itself was blasphemy.

If Venus showed up in another incarnation I wouldn't necessarily hate it. I'd prefer she not be so closely connected to their origins, and especially not over-powered to the point where the other guys become guest stars in their own universe.

Anyone else think the "Smoking Hot Turtle Chick" Mikey meets at the end of the aborted TMNT script was gonna be named "Venus"? I'd be shocked if that wasn't the plan when they wrote it.
You know, I think this describes Venus perfectly for me. I just couldn't word it as well.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #17
plasticturtle
Foot Soldier

I don't really hate Venus. Done well she may have been an interesting character. The problem is nothing about TNM was done well. I only caught a couple episodes when it was running, mainly because that was all I could stomach.
plasticturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #18
pannoni1
Foot Elite

Unfortuantely, I feel that Venus fell through the cracks of two main camps- one supporting a goofy side that just doesn't quite come through as corny resulting in boring jokes, and also the camp that makes her a true Fifth Turtle that blends in with the chemistry of the others. She remains the Mary Sue of the franchise and I feel Saban wanted five because that's how many Power Rangers there are in normal circumstances. I also didn't like Venus' voice as well. You know she isn't going to be liked when the top Youtube search result for "ninja turtles venus" is "Ninja Turtles without Venus- Unchain My Heart". It is quite ironic that the last episode of NTNM is Who Needs Her, though part of the hate might have come from the main Turtles disrespecting her, especially in that final episode, forcing Venus to lose her mind and lose her trust against the guys.

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #19
KirkyMonster
Foot Soldier

I remember reading a comic from the Archie series as a kid where in April mutated into a Turtle and wore a white head band and elbow and knee pads and fought beside the Turtles in that issue. I was shocked to see April get mutated but not shocked to see another Ninja Turtle. Between Slash, Mutant Turtle April, Venus and Kirby one thing that is apparent to me is there will always be another 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th Turtle around the corner. Venus was just handled poorly on a poorly handled show that I equate to the campy Adam West Batman TV show.
KirkyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #20
gobo
Wacky Action

^ You forgot Tokka.

Tags
next mutation