The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 11-25-2017, 04:58 AM   #21
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I believe post-modernism will eventually run out of fashion.
I hope it will happen as soon as possible.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:56 AM   #22
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Eh... I dunno, really. Reggae and reggaeton really are not my element. Tbh I don't know what the diff between both is. Regardless, around 2007-2010 I saw many teenagers/young adults getting into reggae-like music, and some even claimed to be Rastafari or trying to get into that lifestyle.
Apparently reggaeton has been around since the late 90s, but only became popular in the US and Europe in 2004. Ska has a reggae element, and I remember it being big in the mid-90s and maybe up to the late 90s even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Does anyone remember wallet chains? I used to love rocking a big wallet chain.
I remember those rather well. I never had one myself, but they looked kind of cool.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #23
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Basically everything, nothing lasts forever and everything goes out of style sooner or later
T-shirts, collared shirts, button downs, and jeans aren't going anywhere. They've been around for decades or even like, hundreds of years.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #24
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Blue jeans at the very least since the 50's. Because of how versatile they are. And that's probably what makes a "trend" stand the test of time or not.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #25
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
T-shirts, collared shirts, button downs, and jeans aren't going anywhere. They've been around for decades or even like, hundreds of years.
You don't know that hell for all we know all articles of clothing will be replaced by hard light constructs or something.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's actually hard to believe but the young kids of today don't even use computers anymore. They do everyone online on their tablets or phones. They say kids of today aren't even used to typing on keyboards anymore, just tapping letters on touch screen.

Given this new kid generation will become adults eventually, hopefully this doesn't lead out to the phasing out of regular personal computers and everything being replaced by tablets.

For all we know computers may go the way of the typewriter.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #27
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's actually hard to believe but the young kids of today don't even use computers anymore. They do everyone online on their tablets or phones. They say kids of today aren't even used to typing on keyboards anymore, just tapping letters on touch screen.
Where did you hear that from
Old 11-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

The vast majority of kids/teens these days grow up with tablets. It's the same reason toys or action figures don't sell well anymore, kids these days move on from toys and use tablets now.

It's also the same reason why TV ratings don't mean much anymore. Nowadays kids/teens just watch their favorite shows online or on youtube, they don't sit in front of a TV anymore to watch a show at a certain time with commercials like we used to do, or still do.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #29
Sumac
Banned

Why do you need PC, when you can have everything it can provide + phone + camera in portable package?
Old 11-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #30
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I can understand not wanting all that for casual purposes, but for certain professional ventures, at least for now, PCs and laptops are still very much necessities.

Heck, I would want to move onto a PC with a sizable monitor for my graphic design work, as I've found my 15 inch laptop isn't cutting it.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:52 PM   #31
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Yeah, PCs and laptops are still far more powerful than handheld devices like smartphones and tablets and therefore will be around for a while.

Even if processing power gets better and smartphones and tablets get more powerful, PCs and laptops would still be even more powerful
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #32
Prowler
Emperor

Not a big fan of tablets. They're useful for reading pdf files and Microsoft Office files, but that's it. For typing they're a pain.

I never had a laptop. Before smartphones became a thing i used to really want one, but now that I can pretty much use the internet anywhere or play games anywhere a long as I bring a phone with me, a laptop no longer appeals to me. Also, I like to play on the PC, and a gaming laptop while possible clearly lags behind a gaming desktop.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #33
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Computers aren't going anywhere... Someone is only going to think that if their world view is limited to just their own casual use of it and can't think beyond themselves. There are FAR too many careers (and hobbies) that use and need computers. They will no doubt continue to evolve and become even more capable, but guaranteed they won't be leaving.

Think otherwise, then okay... I want to see you make an entire 2 hour length CGI film on a tablet or phone. Using only the professional programs and high quality rendering that will swallow the memory space on those like a tiny snack cake on the first day.

Heck, I never even want to bother with a laptop. Desktop for life, and probably HP pavilion as well if they continue to make them like the 13-year-old tank I have now that is still doing pretty damn okay for it's age. (I've already realized that browser compatibility is probably what's going to force me onto a new one at some point... It will outlive the compatibility of everything else.) My mom's far younger laptop is sooo sluggish in comparison.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 11-25-2017 at 03:24 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:21 PM   #34
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Computers aren't going anywhere... Someone is only going to think that if their world view is limited to just their own casual use of it and can't think beyond themselves. There are FAR too many careers (and hobbies) that use and need computers. They will no doubt continue to evolve and become even more capable, but guaranteed they won't be leaving.

Think otherwise, then okay... I want to see you make an entire 2 hour length CGI film on a tablet or phone. Using only the professional programs and high quality rendering that will swallow the memory space on those like a tiny snack cake on the first day.
Also, by "computer" people think of desktops and laptops only... well technically many machines could be considered computers. I mean, a phone and a tablet nowadays can do a lot of things that PCs and laptops can do, such as accessing the internet, launch apps, playing games, etc. I mean, they have CPUs... so they ARE computers
Old 11-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #35
Sumac
Banned

I think, when people talk about "disappearing PCs" they mean in casual day-to-day use of normal humans, whose professions are not require having desktops.

Obviously, computers in general won't go anywhere. Not really why people bring this idea here.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:32 PM   #36
Prowler
Emperor

I wonder how long until FB dies. It's a massive network but... it was more popular in the early 2010s. A lot of people have not really updated or posted anything on their FB walls in ages. Or rarely do so these days. Lots of people migrated to Instagram and Twitter.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #37
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB
Things that people think will stay in style but won't?
I think three dimensional printing is going out of style.

Also, this:

and this:

Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:23 PM   #38
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I don't think the latter two things have been "trends" at all. At least I've never seen them for myself.

But 3D printing isn't going anywhere. It's not just a fad that people are doing for fun, it's a game-changer in technology.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #39
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I don't think the latter two things have been "trends" at all. At least I've never seen them for myself.

But 3D printing isn't going anywhere. It's not just a fad that people are doing for fun, it's a game-changer in technology.

In fact one could argue that 3d printing is starting to get in style
Old 11-26-2017, 01:11 AM   #40
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I wonder how long until FB dies. It's a massive network but... it was more popular in the early 2010s. A lot of people have not really updated or posted anything on their FB walls in ages. Or rarely do so these days. Lots of people migrated to Instagram and Twitter.
Yeah it's less popular, the other social media sites may fade away too when the next thing comes along.

As for Computers/Laptops, agreed with general use in the home due to tablets but I still like to use a keyboard for typing in volume and also some like to have the bigger screen. Same argument for TV's , if I'm in my home watching a movie I'd rather have that screen than be looking at my phone or a tablet.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote