The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Joker 2

Sounds like it's really going to happen:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/joker-2-...igin-film-set/
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

There should be a bit of a time skip to show his beginning as a criminal mastermind.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Maybe it's unfair of me but... I'm skeptical.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

All I see at this point is "Not Man of Steel 2."
Old 11-20-2019, 11:39 AM   #5
AquaParade
Banned

Several reputable trades are reporting conflicting things right now. Some saying the sequel is on and others refuting the fact.

I seriously hope the sequel is happening. It's pretty easy for me to write-off something I don't like, so I'm glad to roll the dice on a sequel. It could be great. Easily my most anticipated film if true.

Last edited by AquaParade; 11-20-2019 at 11:47 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Apparently the director will oversee other DC origin movies?

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...qq7ipMIqVzdCag

So... over here we have the Harley cinematic universe, and over here we have the DC villain origin universe.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #7
AquaParade
Banned

https://deadline.com/2019/11/joker-s...ed-1202790774/

Quote:
The Joker sequel news that hit a trade today is great click bait, but multiple inside sources said that while a sequel to the billion dollar grossing film is an obvious likely eventuality that makes all the financial sense in the world, at this point there are no deals for a sequel, nor even any negotiations with director Todd Phillips or his co-writer Scott Silver to craft one.
We will have to wait and see.

Deadline, Variety, and The Hollywood Reporter tend to be the most reliable movie news sources, and they are saying conflicting things right now. Pretty interesting actually. My guess is that talks are happening, but nothing official yet.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
All I see at this point is "Not Man of Steel 2."
Man, you and me both.

No Man of Steel 2, no Green Lantern Corps.

And, uh... not that I WANT the film with Ezra Miller, but it also means no Flash. So silver linings, I guess?
Old 11-20-2019, 12:04 PM   #9
AquaParade
Banned

Would have loved to see what Man of Steel 2 could have been. I mean, I guess you can argue that BvS is Man of Steel 2, technically, unless Zach Snyder actually had a different direction he wanted to take things.

I think, in theory, introducing a new Batman in what would be "Man of Steel 2" could have worked in a cool way. Obviously, they crammed too much into BvS, but I still think I would have liked to see Man of Steel 2 as a Batman vs Superman film, but with more focus and less narrative threads.

That aside, I still would have seen a Man of Steel 2, without Bruce. I really enjoyed Man of Steel. When I think of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman together, it's actually a pretty cool set of films, in my mind. They aren't perfect and they aren't my favorites, but I appreciate them.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:06 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Man, you and me both.

No Man of Steel 2, no Green Lantern Corps.
Which are the only two things they should even be worrying about right now.

Quote:
And, uh... not that I WANT the film with Ezra Miller, but it also means no Flash. So silver linings, I guess?
And again, if they go around and recast Batman, maybe even Superman, but don't recast Flash (the only role that ever needed to be recast)... that will be infuriating.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #11
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Which are the only two things they should even be worrying about right now.
Who needs the Justice League when you can have Harley Fvcking Quinn and a geriatric Joker?
Old 11-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Would have loved to see what Man of Steel 2 could have been. I mean, I guess you can argue that BvS is Man of Steel 2, technically, unless Zach Snyder actually had a different direction he wanted to take things.
He did. He wanted to do MoS 2 and was ready to do MoS 2 but WB made him do BvS. WB had been trying to make a BvS movie since the 2000s.

Quote:
Who needs the Justice League when you can have Harley Fvcking Quinn and a geriatric Joker?
Getting to a proper "Justice League" should always be the destination. They don't even have a destination anymore.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:24 PM   #13
AquaParade
Banned

Justice League has always been corny as hell to me, not gonna lie. I love the characters, but their allegiance just seems goofy to me. The X-Men feel like a family, and the Avengers...I don't know, maybe it's their "rag-tag" qualities that make it an easier sell to me. I don't have a good excuse for them. Maybe I think the Avengers are lame too.

I'm not trying to piss all over the JL. I love DC, love Batman to death, big fan of Clark, Wonder Woman. But other then Morrison's (who can sell me on anything) run on Justice League, I've never really found their stories or dynamic compelling. Give me another Joker over a Justice League reboot, any day.

*ZiiIIIIIIIiip*
Old 11-20-2019, 12:29 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
But other then Morrison's (who can sell me on anything) run on Justice League
When I imagine the "ideal" Justice League movie, I'm thinking of Morrison's JLA run. Just about any of his story arcs could be a movie, beautifully.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #15
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Getting to a proper "Justice League" should always be the destination. They don't even have a destination anymore.
That's the truth of it. Now it's just "throw $hit at the wall", see what makes profit, and then milk it to death.

That's why we're getting a "Trench" spinoff, and Harley Quinn movies, and another Suicide Squad.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
That's why we're getting a "Trench" spinoff
AKA, "Royalties for Geoff Johns."
Old 11-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #17
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
When I imagine the "ideal" Justice League movie, I'm thinking of Morrison's JLA run. Just about any of his story arcs could be a movie, beautifully.
I love those books but it’s hard for me to imagine them on film. Still, if it could be done, I’d probably dig it.

I guess I think of Justice League as one of the least interesting DC properties, oddly enough. Maybe that puts me in the minority. I’m much more interested in Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, The Question, Sandman (both versions), Watchmen, and of course, Batman, Joker, and anything Gotham. Those aren’t strict boundaries for myself, just an example of the DC properties that I prefer over Justice League.

But yeah, I get the desire for a Justice League focused cinematic universe. It makes sense.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:19 PM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Maybe it's unfair of me but... I'm skeptical.
Yep.

First one was good, but so was Wonder Woman, and by all accounts WB learned exactly every single wrong lesson from the success of that and other films, and has micro-managed the sequel into a train wreck. Obviously, I haven't seen it, but many people already have, the test screening leaks all mirror each other, so there's obviously some fire behind the smoke, and it all sounds horrible. I can totally see something bad happening to a Joker sequel, as well.

If we know nothing else, WB is incapable of repeating a triumph. The problem with movies like Wonder Woman and Joker succeeding beyond expectations is, they weren't really expected to do all that well in the first place, thus the studio sort of stayed in the background and let the filmmakers do their jobs, and that led to some great things. HOWEVER, the thinking of the average WB executive is, "Well now, if some piss-ant movie like 'Joker' can make over a billion dollars WITHOUT our hands all over it, just imagine how much money we can make after we focus-group the hell out of the sequel!"

Don't forget, it only made as much profit (NOT box office, specifically Profit) because they didn't spend anything on it. They'll inevitably spend more on the sequel, which means they'll need to sell even more tickets to break even, and more spending means more micro-managing. They also simply can't keep making Joker movies that only passingly reference Batman, so whether anyone likes it or not, they're most likely going to try and finagle something to tie the "Joker Universe" into the Pattinson Batman universe, if they're not already trying to do that. Which I'm positive they are. I can promise you that they do NOT want three or four conflicting "Jokers" running around in a bunch of movies that don't connect. People like this Joker, thus WB is going to try and find a way to make him the "Official" version of the character going forward. I'm quite certain that the main reason they didn't already announce a sequel is because they're simply trying to "make it fit" with their other plans.

I mean, I liked the first one alright despite expecting nothing from it, so I'm cautiously optimistic. There's just only a few ways it can go Right and a hundred ways it can go Very Wrong. Phoenix did a good enough job to make me want to see more of him. BUT. It's WB. WB has never seen a good thing they couldn't ruin. It's entirely what they do.

We'll see.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #19
AquaParade
Banned

Nah. They aren't about to tie it in with Matt Reeve's Batman or anything.

Todd and Joaquin have WB by the balls right now. They can choose to leave or return. If they return, it's going to be on their terms. Their terms have clearly been stated as "separate universe from DCEU".

Of course, if the first film is anything to go by, this film will have to go through a gauntlet of doom prophecies and audience outrage before it is finally allowed to prove itself.

My two cents, anyway.

Last edited by AquaParade; 11-20-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

We'll see. You have a lot more faith in them than I do.

If you really believe that there have been NO conversations about "square peg/round hole"-ing this into their larger universe, I have a bridge to sell you. Movie executives don't care one bit about "integrity", nor are they inclined to let employees dictate terms to them about their big-name franchises. It might happen, it might not, but I promise you, that's a conversation they're having.

And even if it doesn't, and remains wholly its own separate thing, there's STILL a good chance they'll f*ck it up. Because again, it's WB. All they do is take good ideas and f*ck them up beyond repair due to shortsightedness and greed. I mean, every studio does that, but WB has raised incompetence to an art form.

Can they make two slam dunks in a row? Maybe, but it would be the first time in forever. We'll see.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote