The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-20-2022, 09:37 PM   #41
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
While not a factor, Disney did take out the gay kiss first and then purposely put it back in because 'hey, we must show our LGBT support and that we don't support the anti-groomer bill!'.

It wouldn't have made so much news if they just stuck to their guns in one direction or the other and not flip flop on it.
Naturally, like with any "woke" media.
But it is more of a side thing to the shitdish.

Quote:
You have no choice. Sooner or later it comes for you and you're forced to choose a side. Even something as simple as taking/not taking your kids to a movie you've been informed about that will have a gay kiss in it (during Pride mind you) is choosing a side.

Kinda like Negan said 'You better make a decision quick cause not making a decision is a BIG decision."
Sounds like a "prophecy" about "Trump's Death Squads" SJW were scaremongering each other back in 2016.
Sorry, I don't buy this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
No, sides and politics have nothing to do with it. Most parents just don't want their small children watching gay stuff in their cartoons and they certainly don't like paying to take them to see gay stuff in movies. It's as simple as that. And with every newsflash about "Disney pulled lesbian kiss from this country" and "Disney put it back in for that country!" and then all the stuff responding to that, the word got out. And then there's also all the stuff in the last couple of months in the news about Disney fighting Florida to allow them to talk about sexuality to kindergartners... so the word is out on that with parents, too.
I still don't think it was A factor.
For some people - maybe, it was. But for the most, especially those who don't care about media, it was just a bad movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
Yeah. Because people are becoming radicalized on both sides, and are repelled or emboldened by anything they deem 'woke'.

I still remember people here, and in other parts of the interwebs claiming that The Batman was 'full of BLM propaganda'. Yeah...no. People keep saying stuff like Lightyear is '90% about the lesbian couple in the movie'. I think, based on reading the synopsis on Wikipedia and reviews, that's a bullsh*t lie. The movie seems like a clusterf*ck but not because of a 3 second lesbian kiss. But nah, nobody really cares about the plots of these movies. The Batman, Sonic f*cking 2, Turning Red, Doctor Strange 2, The Bad Guys, Fantastic Beasts 3, and so on are all movies I've seen knee deep in political discourse of some kind or another. It's inescapable. That's life now. Whether we like it or not, the plots of these movies don't matter at all, bad or not. It's all about politics, even when the movies themselves aren't political.
And none of this stuff matters to actual box-office, ironically.
Its just a filing for the another bout of political "analyses" from randoms on the forums and social networks, which affects very few people in real life.

Last edited by Sumac; 06-20-2022 at 09:45 PM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:31 AM   #42
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Go woke go broke

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:37 AM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I still don't think it was A factor.
For some people - maybe, it was. But for the most, especially those who don't care about media, it was just a bad movie.
Nono, this transcended mere media. This was everywhere. And the Disney stuff in Florida spilled out everywhere. To be fair, you're probably not seeing this in Russia. Even if you're not watching the news here, you're seeing your 6-10 angry leftist friends on FB screaming about it for weeks. Then comes the lesbian kiss hubbub. Trust me, this was a huge part of it.

And bad movie? Everybody (myself included) was excited by the first trailer and all of that. It's a neat idea. The Allen thing by itself wasn't enough to damn it. People would have to go and see it to come back and spread the word about it being a bad movie. Nobody saw it to begin with. Being this is a children's movie and spinning off of a legendary proven IP, we can kind of do the math from there.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:10 AM   #44
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

https://www.reuters.com/business/med...es-2022-06-13/

Walt Disney Co (DIS.N) has been unable to obtain permission to show its new Pixar movie "Lightyear" in 14 Middle Eastern and Asian countries, a source said on Monday, and the animated film appeared unlikely to open in China, the world's largest movie market.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:38 AM   #45
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
https://www.reuters.com/business/med...es-2022-06-13/

Walt Disney Co (DIS.N) has been unable to obtain permission to show its new Pixar movie "Lightyear" in 14 Middle Eastern and Asian countries, a source said on Monday, and the animated film appeared unlikely to open in China, the world's largest movie market.
I was about to say that, they lost 14 country's worth of box office dollars including China who the knew would not stand for that due to their views, but hey, it was more important to show that they didn't side with DeSantis.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:45 AM   #46
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I was about to say that, they lost 14 country's worth of box office dollars including China who the knew would not stand for that due to their views, but hey, it was more important to show that they didn't side with DeSantis.
To put it more succinctly in this case, "more important to show that they didn't side with over half of the country." Like, well over. The data isn't even close. It's just people scared to say anything, but oh boy they're polling.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:51 AM   #47
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Being this is a children's movie and spinning off of a legendary proven IP, we can kind of do the math from there.
To be fair, Toy Story 4 was f*cking awful. No telling how much impact that had on anything related to the franchise. I know a good number of people who were in love with anything and everything related to the franchise, but then after that piece of sh*t ultimately decided that they'd finally seen enough.

It's like anything else that gets popular, f*cking idiots need to fix it until it's broken. I said a million times they needed to quit once and for all with 3. They had a "perfect" little trilogy going for themselves, now they have that plus a sh*tty coda of a fourth movie and now this sh*tty prequel/spin-off thing nobody wants.

Nobody lets anything stay "pure" anymore. Because they're f*cking greedy.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:14 AM   #48
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I agree, Toy Story 4 is f*cking awful.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:20 AM   #49
superstaff
Mad Scientist

I was going to say that Toy Story 4 tainted the franchise, and that was one of the reasons Lightyear is flopping. But...like Leo says, it seems that 99% of people are claiming it's only because of the lesbian kiss, and if that kiss wasn't in the movie, they'd watch it and love it. So...I don't know. I could come up with reasons as to why this isn't doing great that have nothing to do with the kiss, it's just that it seems the kiss is the only reason people don't want to see it. Like I said before, I read the synopsis of the movie, and the plot is a mess, Buzz is an unlikable, cliched 'action hero', the supporting cast are bland and one note, Zurg is f*cking awful (including the 'tweest' they come up with ). The lesbian kiss is a scapegoat for a cynical, poorly written movie. It's really not unlike Toy Story 4 in tone and content.

Edit: I went to an online toy collecting group I'm a part of, and all they're talking about on there is Lightyear, and how the kiss/'LGBT+ agenda' (including most of them claiming the movie is basically all about lesbians) is the only thing wrong with the movie, and that they'd otherwise have gone to see it, and probably enjoy it because Toy Story. I guess politics has more of a stranglehold on people than getting their hit of memberberry drugs at the theater. The toy group rarely discusses movies, even the ones the toys are based on, and yet... Yeah. Pretty sure if I said I was bi, they'd ban me too, or at the very least ostracize the hell out of me. I love the way life is trending right now. What a delight!

Last edited by superstaff; 06-21-2022 at 07:52 AM.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:06 AM   #50
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I keep hearing conflicting reports about if the kiss was banned in Mexico or not. The general consensus is in some places it is and others don't, depending on if it's the Spanish dub or the subtitled English one. The funny part is some theaters come with a 'this movie contains gender politics' warning on their advertising.

From what I gather a lot of Mexico laughs at us gringos for taking all this woke **** so seriously. Obviously we all don't but it's the woke weirdos that speak the loudest and are in all the headlines. Every time some multi haired colored idiot has a meltdown or is offended over something that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, they kinda speak for all of us as a whole when it hits the news.

It would almost be funny if Mexico wasn't a literal hellhole nowadays.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:05 AM   #51
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Nono, this transcended mere media. This was everywhere. And the Disney stuff in Florida spilled out everywhere. To be fair, you're probably not seeing this in Russia. Even if you're not watching the news here, you're seeing your 6-10 angry leftist friends on FB screaming about it for weeks. Then comes the lesbian kiss hubbub. Trust me, this was a huge part of it.
American media maybe, but I don't think it is a prominent topic of discussion in other countries.

Quote:
And bad movie? Everybody (myself included) was excited by the first trailer and all of that. It's a neat idea. The Allen thing by itself wasn't enough to damn it. People would have to go and see it to come back and spread the word about it being a bad movie. Nobody saw it to begin with. Being this is a children's movie and spinning off of a legendary proven IP, we can kind of do the math from there.
I dunno, I've saw more people being puzzled by it, than anything else.
Like: "why is it even made?", "how does it relates to the Toy Story?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
To be fair, Toy Story 4 was f*cking awful. No telling how much impact that had on anything related to the franchise. I know a good number of people who were in love with anything and everything related to the franchise, but then after that piece of sh*t ultimately decided that they'd finally seen enough.
I wouldn't call it awful, but it certainly was lacking compared to the first three movies.
As for me it was just boring and lacking "soul", if you will, something that Pixar movies usually are not.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:35 PM   #52
Turo602
The King of Kings

Toy Story was my favorite movie as a kid and I was old enough by the time part 3 came out for it to really resonate with me. It was a perfect ending and could have been left there, but I don't think they couldn't necessarily do a follow up that was just as strong. I figured Pixar never misses with Toy Story and so part 4 would have justified itself by the time it was over and it just kept going and going leaving me feeling rather empty the whole time just waiting for it to be worth it and then it ended on such a downer and just pissed me off which was exactly how I felt watching The Last Jedi.

Forky seemed like a huge focal point in the movie's marketing with him suddenly coming to life. So naturally, I believed the movie would tackle a deeper subject like why toys come to life and whether they can die. Seemed like there was enough there to build a proper successor. Instead, we got a slap in the face and a kick to the nuts.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:43 PM   #53
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Oh, I saw the warning signs for Toy Story 4 from the get-go. The Rashida Jones drama was the first one. Pixar then promised Bo Peep would be a strong female lead. Forky, from the trailers, seemed like a joke character to me, though many disagreed with me on that. The marketing focusing more on Forky, and the duck and bunny played by Key and Peele than on the originals... There was more, though I think you get the picture. Maybe. Or not.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:37 PM   #54
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

This movie was literally one of Pixar's most boring films ever. In my eyes, they're losing their touch.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:10 PM   #55
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
This movie was literally one of Pixar's most boring films ever. In my eyes, they're losing their touch.
Did you pay to see it? Just curious? If so, how come? Do you have young kids?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:12 PM   #56
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I'm kinda surprised there isn't more outrage on the left because the lesbian character is pretty much out of the picture fairly early on.

#BuryYourGays

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:26 AM   #57
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Did you pay to see it? Just curious? If so, how come? Do you have young kids?
No, I work at a theater and watched it for free but left around the part where Buzz meets the granddaughter because I was just so bored. I don't recall ever doing that for a Disney/Pixar film. I didn't like Brave but I still watched the whole thing. This was just uninteresting which sucks because I love the Toy Story films (4 was unnecessary though). And no I have no kids.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:25 PM   #58
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Jesus, look at these numbers...

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/f...ry#tab=summary

It's been out almost a month and it's only earned 106 domestically and 82 million overseas. At a 200 production budget, yeesh. They basically lost about 150 million on "Lightyear." That was one super costly lesbian kiss.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 07-05-2022 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:40 PM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord

Should of just been a Disney+ streaming release.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:52 PM   #60
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Jesus, look at these numbers...

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/f...ry#tab=summary

It's been out almost a month and it's only earned 106 domestically and 82 million overseas. At a 200 production budget, yeesh. They basically lost about 150 million on "Lightyear." That was one super costly lesbian kiss.
Add to that marketing budget, which seemingly was smaller than usual for whatever reason, but still.