The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #21
Peanut
Second Gear

Played the first few levels last night on 360 and the load times/slow down honestly doesn't seem that bad. When it slows down it's literally for a second and the screen is so full of flashing lights you kind of don't care. The load times are awful, but everyone is so used to either split-second load times or data streaming off the disc that I feel like they get really angry and blow things out of proportion when a load takes 15-20 seconds. It's not like it loads every 5 minutes either.

The beginning sections are actually pretty neat. I don't know if it's just messing with stuff in the environment giving you actual in-game benefits, or just playing something as simple and hammy as Duke, but it felt really nice. The totally played out/out of date references actually make the game a lot funnier than if they were playing them for straight laughs.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #22
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Played the first few levels last night on 360 and the load times/slow down honestly doesn't seem that bad. When it slows down it's literally for a second and the screen is so full of flashing lights you kind of don't care. The load times are awful, but everyone is so used to either split-second load times or data streaming off the disc that I feel like they get really angry and blow things out of proportion when a load takes 15-20 seconds. It's not like it loads every 5 minutes either.

The beginning sections are actually pretty neat. I don't know if it's just messing with stuff in the environment giving you actual in-game benefits, or just playing something as simple and hammy as Duke, but it felt really nice. The totally played out/out of date references actually make the game a lot funnier than if they were playing them for straight laughs.
this is good indeed. makes me happy i got the 360 version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Its been confirmed...almost everywhere. ****ing Google, dude.
that takes to long lol!

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #23
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Canadian View Post

that takes to long lol!
Longer than waiting for someone to respond on a message board?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:16 PM   #24
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Longer than waiting for someone to respond on a message board?
um....nah i guess not. but it's easier to get opinions here then it is to google cause i do actually respect some people's opinions. but i guess, seeing as i've got the game any way for 360 i'll just play it for myself and judge

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:25 AM   #25
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Got it for PC today. I played up to Lady Killer part 3. At the trip mine part. It's fun so far. There's some annoying platforming but once I start thinking old school I figure it out. There's just stuff games don't make you do anymore and Duke does them. Other then that minor annoyance though it's great. I can see how if this came out when it was supposed to it would have rocked the gaming world.

The load times are almost instant and the graphics look great. Again though this is the PC. I have a pretty nice computer so I can play it cranked up with no issues. It slowed down once but that could have been several things.

Feels good to be playing with the Duke again.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #26
Peanut
Second Gear

You don't exactly need a hardcore rig to play DNF, even on a PC the game looks old as sh*t. It almost looks like they just took the original assets and layered them in grease to make everything shiny.

The game certainly gets less fun and starts to show its age fairly quickly. It's just not a very good game in any way, let alone by the standards of today. I really think it's borderline criminal that they put this thing out for $60, actually.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #27
That Matt Guy
Honey Bunches

I just finished it on PS3. I didn't notice any problems graphics-wise, and the loading times are no worse than Fallout.
That Matt Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #28
Spitfire
Writer • Director

I beat this a few days ago and then played online some. I also started a play through on Insane which has been oddly more fun then I thought.

First I thought it mixed things up a fair bit, at least at first. The two thirds of the game featured a variety of locations that were all mostly fun to play though, didn't like The Hive level much though. Then for the last portion the game stuck us in the boring grey Hover Dam. It was okay at first but once you're inside it stats to get less exciting. The last boss was a fun showdown though.

The ending was crap. Really brought me back to the 90's where you'd beat a game and get nothing more then a 2 second cut scene or some crappy paragraph for your efforts. But the actual game was mostly fun so I can't fault the ending too much. Not sure what all I expected.

The multiplayer is actually pretty fun. It's so retro it'll turn off some people. I like playing games where I feel like I stand a chance. Every FPS I've played online since Return to Castle Wolfenstein has been me getting sniped, melee'd, or blown up be a grenade the instant I spawn. I'm just not very good at them. I fare pretty well in this game though so I enjoy it. The challenges are fun too and keep gameplay interesting. I just wish more people were playing it. There's not many severs up so there's little diversity in maps and game types.

All in all it's a fun game and I honestly don't see it being worthy of a 3 or a 4. I'd give it more like a 7. To me anything lower then a 6 means the game is broken and unplayable in some aspects. Duke plays fine. It's just sad it's new ideas fell upon deaf ears because it took so long to release it. I admit I have some sympathy for the game after reading its history in the special edition guide but that aside I still don't see it as a completely horrid game.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #29
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
It's just sad it's new ideas fell upon deaf ears because it took so long to release it.
What new ideas? Very little of DNF would have been "new" had it been released in 1998-99.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #30
Spitfire
Writer • Director

A lot of the interaction stuff was unique to the series at the time and still is today for better or worse. Vehicle sections were a fresh idea, DNF would have been one of the first to have them. Pretty sure bouncy pads were new back then. You can see your legs which wasn't really common. Some of the puzzles were unique. Turret sections were new.

It's hard to say what was added and what was stolen later down the road but from reading the history book I know there was supposed to be a motorcycle driving stage. You were also supposed to out run an alien gunship on mule and there was a turret section where you were on a freeway being chased by a gunship. This was all in the first build. Everything after is a toss up.

It's weird because the game had a lot of awesome ideas and you'd think after all this time they'd still be there. They actually removed a lot of content. Aside from what I mentioned above there was a more diverse cast of enemies, a girl sidekick named Bombshell, and even an evil alternate reality Duke. Instead of the aliens again it was going to be Dr. Proton from the side scroller games. They even had zombies with tentacles coming out of them.

Somewhere down the line a lot of compromises were made. I just hope now that Gearbox has the ability to do whatever they want with the series they take the opportunity to push the character. Bring him fully into the modern era, take what works, and leave the rest behind.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #31
Brodie
Certified Teacher

Rented it. Played it. ****ing terrible.

Goddamn terrible.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #32
PizzaPower
Foot Elite

at least you get to piss on things.
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 10:39 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I just had a sad thought. I remembered Duke Nukem Forever, waiting for it forever... and then it came out and I've never even played it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:14 AM   #34
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I just had a sad thought. I remembered Duke Nukem Forever, waiting for it forever... and then it came out and I've never even played it.
Do you think it'll be the same for Half-Life 3?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:52 AM   #35
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Now you can play TWO Duke Nukem Foreverd!
From 2001 and 2011!!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:19 PM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Do you think it'll be the same for Half-Life 3?
That depends. Wasn't Duke Nukem Forever's engine already kind of dated when it finally came out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Now you can play TWO Duke Nukem Foreverd!
From 2001 and 2011!!
There are two versions playable?
Old 06-24-2022, 03:01 PM   #37
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
There are two versions playable?
Yeah, unfinished prototype had leaked few weeks ago.
Is is the one from this famous trailer:

DNF community actively working on finishing it.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:12 PM   #38
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Is there the FMV footage and Duke Nukem guy doing voice lines and all?
Old 07-09-2022, 06:28 AM   #39
Nickokapo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
DNF community actively working on finishing it.
Finally having a copy of this, even if it is a very early alpha, and not the version randy prickford's hoarding, is such a huge deal to me i love historical stuff like that, prototypes, unreleased betas, and other such leaked stuff...similar fascination i have to "lost media" stuff. So to have ANY version of this ever since seeing the screenshots of the original duke nukem forever in a magazine in the late 90s is amazing to me. Now it is archived for all times.

It is still early, but i am very curious what the modding community will do with this:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/dnf2001-restoration-project

Also it has working multiplayer apparently:

Last edited by Nickokapo; 07-09-2022 at 06:35 AM.
Nickokapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 07:20 AM   #40
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Is there the FMV footage
Sorry, what?