The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-02-2022, 08:12 PM   #141
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm thinking Leia is taken home, mind-wiped of knowing Ben, one more fight with Vader, black chick will go good (there will be some kind of fundamental misunderstanding with her that will be clarified) and then... she'll die, maybe? Or they'll groom her for a spinoff, probably? We're running out of episodes but I think Obi-Wan will find some kind of love interest only to watch her die. Then in grief he returns to his Tatooine cave. Qui-Gon will show up as a Force Ghost either to psyche him up for the final Vader fight or to console him at the end and to remind him of the importance of watching over Luke. Maybe both. The end. I mean, what else could we really expect?

I wonder if a season 2 is in the cards? How long can they draw this out?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-02-2022 at 10:12 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:21 AM   #142
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm thinking Leia is taken home, mind-wiped of knowing Ben, one more fight with Vader, black chick will go good (there will be some kind of fundamental misunderstanding with her that will be clarified) and then... she'll die, maybe? Or they'll groom her for a spinoff, probably? We're running out of episodes but I think Obi-Wan will find some kind of love interest only to watch her die. Then in grief he returns to his Tatooine cave. Qui-Gon will show up as a Force Ghost either to psyche him up for the final Vader fight or to console him at the end and to remind him of the importance of watching over Luke. Maybe both. The end. I mean, what else could we really expect?

I wonder if a season 2 is in the cards? How long can they draw this out?
I think both this show and the Boba Fett show were adapted from scripts that were meant to be movies more than a decade ago. I doubt Obi Wan will be an ongoing show rather than a one off mini-series.

Seeing a Qui Gonn appearance would be pretty cool.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:54 AM   #143
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
There are a lot of comparisons going around between this and the beats of the Last Jedi. I agree with all of them in the moment, but the thing is that there are episodes left to see how this really all plays out.

The show doesn't have to end with Ben in hiding and shamed and abandoning the Force like pathetic old-man Luke in TLJ. Now if the show wraps up that way, then it will be a $#!(show in hindsight.
Knowing Lucasfilm, I think that ending has a very distinct possibility of happening.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:52 AM   #144
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I think both this show and the Boba Fett show were adapted from scripts that were meant to be movies more than a decade ago.
Well, beginning around a decade ago. 2012 is when the sale to Disney happened and I don't think George had any notion of an Obi-Wan or Boba Fett movie or anything. The only thing he was looking at doing was a Star Wars "Underworld" TV show.

I do 100% believe that the Boba Fett show was cannabalized from the carcass of Josh Trank's unmade Boba Fett movie. It absolutely feels like that. With Obi-Wan, though, there's been a lot of word that they threw out all of their original scripts (which would have been the ones deriving from the unmade Obi-Wan movie) because Kennedy said it was too dark, not "hopeful" enough.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-03-2022 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:35 AM   #145
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
because Kennedy said it was too dark, not "hopeful" enough.
Ironic, coming from a bithchead who turned symbol of hope of multiple generations into a cynical bitter loser, just to prop her ****** bland Mary Sue.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 11:54 AM   #146
sdp
Megan Fox = April

We're getting oversaturated with shows, it's almost as bad as annual star wars movies they were going with before they ****ed it up. I mean these shows are all fanservice and bortherline canon fanfic. And yeah it's kinda cool but how long before people get tired of it?

Especially since we all know these shows will end up leading to the pointless sequel trilogy. I think at this point we should get an Episode X that actually does things well in moving the story, with Rey and ghost Luke with Jedi Fin to start something new and exciting for fans to attach to.

I'm conflicted, I love these fan service shows but at the same time I feel they don't have substance and only rely on our nostalgia. I mean I do want sexond season of Obi Wan and hopefully a fight with Maul and I don't care if it's been done in Rebels. It's not like Disney cares about their own continuity.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:03 PM   #147
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Especially since we all know these shows will end up leading to the pointless sequel trilogy.
That's really the crux of the problem, right there. No matter how good Mandalorian or Obi-Wan is, or Ahsoka turns out to be... we could get amazing season after amazing season... none of it makes one bit of difference, because at the end of the day we know that all roads lead to the sequel trilogy.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:09 PM   #148
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Ironic, coming from a bithchead who turned symbol of hope of multiple generations into a cynical bitter loser, just to prop her ****** bland Mary Sue.
Yep...

Luke Skywalker is THE symbol of hope. Look, I don't want to get into it too much because I've had this argument many times in other places like Saltierthancrait on Reddit years ago, and I'm tired of repeating myself even to people who'd agree with me, but. Luke was done so damn dirty. That movie (that trilogy as a whole) did no one any favors, not the old cast or the new ones either. It was a complete and utter misinterpretation of what Luke and Star Wars as a whole meant. I'd have been down for Luke passing down his knowledge to a new Jedi, for him to form a special bond with someone like Rey. For Luke to be the new 'Yoda' or the new 'Obi-wan'. For better or worse, he's now known for being the dude who drank green milk out of an alien thing's titty, and dying awkwardly after being a failure. Oh, and trying to murder his nephew before the kid even did anything. ...Thanks, Lucasfilm. Killing Luke like that was the final nail in the coffin for me.

Quote:
I'm conflicted, I love these fan service shows but at the same time I feel they don't have substance and only rely on our nostalgia. I mean I do want sexond season of Obi Wan and hopefully a fight with Maul and I don't care if it's been done in Rebels. It's not like Disney cares about their own continuity.
There you go. You said it yourself. Let me repeat that for posterity:

"I'm conflicted, I love these fan service shows but at the same time I feel they don't have substance and only rely on our nostalgia."

They hang on by a thin thread of fanservice and nostalgiabait. There's no substance, no real depth, no heart. It's just a series of events that lead from one morsel of fanservice to the next. That's what a lot of nuStar Wars is. That, and blending in really bad, poorly written moralizing.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:47 PM   #149
IMJ
Emperor

Well if they would churn out a pleasing product then there'd be more to it than nostalgia.

But it becomes nothing more than nostalgia, quite honestly, once the Last Jedi came out and mouth-breathers everywhere continued to pay for the content that offended them. Now fans who don't like "Riva" are called "racists". Keep paying for it, addicts! Keep paying for it, patsies!

Honestly, in the face of what has been happening the last many years and the fact that the consumer has been gaslit into a zone where if they don't pay for something they don't like they are called "racists", then f' it. Pirate. EVERYTHING.

There has to be some recourse for these agendas and so on. Don't pay for woke $#!(. Vet it. If it's good and you like it, then go reward it financially with a DVD or something. I haven't given Star Wars a dollar since sometime in December 2017. I haven't even gone back to buy any of the discs on 4k. I don't need 'em. At some point I might pick up The Mandalorian if they release it on disc, and even then I might wait to buy it used so Disney doesn't get my financial support for anything made during their woke $#!( climate or during Kathleen Kennedy's nonsense tenure.

I'll probably pay to see Indiana Jones because that I.P. is one of my primary things, but as more is released about it, if it's woke $#!(, I might not even pay to see that.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:26 PM   #150
CyberCubed
Overlord

Apparently this show is getting a second season. It being the most viewed show on Disney+ for a new series probably made them greenlit it right away.

Of course this show only has 6 episode a seasons, so another 6 would be coming. Kinda weird how these shows are so short. Even the new Star Treks have at least 10 episodes a season.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 04:11 PM   #151
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Maybe returning to Obi-Wan's cave on Tatooine will be like Tokyo for Han in the Fast & Furious movies. Like, "I'll go back to that cave one day... but not yet." So we keep getting season 2, 3, 4, etc., of new Obi-Wan adventures.
Old 06-03-2022, 05:53 PM   #152
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
That's really the crux of the problem, right there. No matter how good Mandalorian or Obi-Wan is, or Ahsoka turns out to be... we could get amazing season after amazing season... none of it makes one bit of difference, because at the end of the day we know that all roads lead to the sequel trilogy.
I hated the sequel trilogy since Ep7 but hear me out. The Sequel trilogy takes place in the span of 1 year more or less. And nothing really happened so nobody cares about them but that works if they make an Episode X setting up a new story, it can be about the George Lucas idea of the Whills or whatever but something new that isn't Empire vs Rebels.

They can salvage the Sequel Trilogy in various ways. With Episode X they use the characters from the trilogy but give them an actual reason for us to care about them, a new Jedi order with Finn and others in new adventures that isn't them just fighting a new Sith or a new Empire.

But what about the pointlessness of the sequel trilogy and all the events that spit on the OT? Well that's what they're already doing, giving us an interesting post ROTJ content. The comics are already giving backstory on who the Knights of Renn were and how exactly Palpatine created the First Order. Basically giving us explanations of why the sequel trilogy is just a "the Empire's last desperate attempt at returning". I think the retcons they are doing do help the Sequel Trilogy make more sense and they're doing all the heavy lifting. Give it a few more years and the sequel trilogy won't be as bad with all the explanations they give us as to why every ****** decision happened, yes even stuff like why Luke gave up and all that through some good story in a book and not the lame ass explanation we got. Retcons to the rescue.

I think it can be done, I just don't know Disney understands why the sequel trilogy failed. My fear is that Disney found success again in star wars with shows but hasn't really understood why people are liking it so I don't know how well they are going to fix the ST. I'm not that attached to SWs anymore after the ST so I don't care as much if they mess it up again, I'll just enjoy what I like about SWs and that's it. I'm just saying, if they had the right vision they could salvage it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
They hang on by a thin thread of fanservice and nostalgiabait. There's no substance, no real depth, no heart. It's just a series of events that lead from one morsel of fanservice to the next. That's what a lot of nuStar Wars is. That, and blending in really bad, poorly written moralizing.
I mean I agree with you but then again I haven't really watched the shows, just read the synopsis and watched the fanservice scenes so perhaps I'm not the best to judge.

To me all these shows read like actual live action versions of what we saw in the cartoons/comics/books. And it's cool, it's fanservicy but cool, especially to see those type of adventures in a "real" format that people actually respect unlike when it's a cartoon/comic/book.

Like I stated above: My fear is that Disney found success again in star wars here but hasn't really understood why people are liking it and they're just milking it and it's going to lead to more bad star wars and an oversaturation of it.

Last edited by sdp; 06-03-2022 at 05:59 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:55 PM   #153
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The Sequel trilogy takes place in the span of 1 year more or less. And nothing really happened so nobody cares about them but that works if they make an Episode X setting up a new story, it can be about the George Lucas idea of the Whills or whatever but something new that isn't Empire vs Rebels.
No Luke, no Han, no Leia, no Empire, no rebels. So why keep calling it Star wars? There is no reason to be waiting for a sequel of a saga if nothing of that saga is left. Maybe we shouldn't wait for a Star Wars Ep 10 but Something Else Ep 1.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:18 PM   #154
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
They can salvage the Sequel Trilogy in various ways. With Episode X they use the characters from the trilogy but give them an actual reason for us to care about them, a new Jedi order with Finn and others in new adventures that isn't them just fighting a new Sith or a new Empire.
I mean, I agree there is definitely an Episode X to be made that somewhat sifts through the rubble of 7-9 and builds a new trilogy we can come to care about, maybe weaving in characters they can take time developing on the TV shows. Does anyone in charge seem like they've learned from any of their mistakes, though? No.

And 7-9 can be retroactively made to be more meaningful and acceptable... as long as we're excluding Luke, Leia, Han, and the New Republic from the equation. No matter what, Luke ends up spending decades on a planet fishing with a stick for no reason and then gets killed sending out a projection of himself the next week. Han still leaves his wife to be a smuggler again for no reason, then gets killed by his only child for no reason... who also goes on to get killed. Leia still goes on to be an old maid who dies for no reason (beyond the actress playing her died). And no matter what stories they do set between 6 and 7, even if we get the Thrawn saga or whatever they're planning, everything that Luke, Leia, and Han fought for in 4-6 didn't matter in the slightest. The Empire just came back in 7 and it's right back to square one.

And I really despise Kennedy and them suddenly telling us the episodic Star Wars movies are "The Skywalker Saga." It wasn't supposed to be that. We didn't even see a Skywalker until the middle of the first episode and all 3 of those prequels were easily as much if not more about Obi-Wan than Anakin. Yeah, the expectation would be that we would see the bloodline trickle into subsequent trilogies organically but not forcibly stamped out. I feel like Kennedy and these hack writers saw those memes and Youtubers talking about "All the galaxy's biggest problems were caused by the Skywalker family!" so they set out to "fix" that because it was problematic to them.
Old 06-04-2022, 12:00 AM   #155
Sumac
Banned

The problem was not just Luke being turned into a loser, but the fact that it was done to prop useless boring character.

It is typical behavior of a talentless hack of fanfic writer.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 12:07 AM   #156
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
The problem was not just Luke being turned into a loser, but the fact that it was done to prop useless boring character.

I mean, that is a thing they can do... but only if it turns out she is a worthwhile character with a journey we can sympathize with along the way that justifies doing all of that. Movie 1 I'm nobody, movie 2 I'm nobody, movie 3... oh I guess I'm a secret Palpatine k thks bye. P.s. I'm taking the Skywalker name because why not.

And "The Rise of Skywalker" remains probably the stupidest possible title they could have chosen for 9.
Old 06-04-2022, 05:23 AM   #157
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:

For me, making Luke a loser was the biggest sin the sequels had. I hated the way every single character was written. All of them. But Luke was the worst, and most despicable. Again, I don't know if I feel like getting into it again after all these years because people became so entrenched on 'their side' that it felt pointless to even bring it up. Maybe someday I'll write a huge thing about how horrible the sequels treated the characters, and Star Wars as a whole.

Oh, and Luke is the heart of Star Wars. Some people have disagreed with me on that, but...I feel that if you destroy Luke, you destroy everything Star Wars stands for. I don't think the sequels can be fixed at this point. Not to go too far on that either, but 1) Lucasfilm doesn't believe they did anything wrong, and the fact that much of the post-sequel stuff's been getting acclaim and profits reaffirms this to them, 2) They can never retcon it, and use the trio from the OT again, they blew their only chance, 3) Even if they ignore Rey, et al, it doesn't mean they don't exist, and that the garbage from the ST isn't there, 4) They won't change. Star Wars is just a prop they can use to make money off of, and for political posturing... There's more, I'm just too exhausted to do this again.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:32 AM   #158
IMJ
Emperor

It was ridiculous to have a 3rd part to the Skywalker saga come out, decades after the originals and not even have the main cast together doing anything on screen.

The whole thing was a pathetic disaster. And to be honest I couldn't believe that Mark Hamil agreed to do it and I couldn't believe that Harrison Ford agreed to walk out on stage as some kind of Han Solo apparition in the Rise of Skywalker. The coolest part of all of those movies was that we saw Chewie's f'n thumbs in TFA - something we hadn't seen before.
Old 06-08-2022, 06:45 PM   #159
CyberCubed
Overlord

So now that 10 year old Leia went on a big adventure with Obi-wan, it officially retcons her message from the original movie. Originally it seemed like she only heard of "General Obi-Wan" from the Clone Wars and serving with her father, there was no indication she ever met him. Now due to this show, Leia knows Obi-Wan and saying, "Please help me Obi-wan Kenobi, you're my only hope" is because he saved her as a 10 year old and now she wants him to save her a second time.

Kinda strange, especially if this show gets a second season they'll probably bring kid Leia back again and she might get to know him even more.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:18 PM   #160
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Mind-wipe. Has to be. There's no way around it. Obi-Wan probably performs it on her himself.