The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-13-2021, 01:49 AM   #681
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Unfortunately, Kevin Smith didn't have a panel at Powercon yesterday, he did record an introduction for a Bear McCreary panel, but there was no new information on Revelation volume two.

...Which is quite telling.

Apparently the second volume will be out towards the end of the year, around either Thanksgiving or Christmas. Leo reckons Thanksgiving.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 09-13-2021 at 03:45 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:04 AM   #682
Leo656
The Franchise

Thanks for giving everybody the Weekend Updates on my conjecture, Dennis Miller. Love ya buddy.

But yeah, I think the second batch of episodes will be out by Thanksgiving, because if you have to sell toys for Christmas you need at least a month to do it properly. And if I'm not mistaken a new Wave of Masterverse/Revelation figures should be out right around that time. It just makes sense.

Probably should have put out all ten episodes at once - I'm sure at least SOME of people's gripes will be mitigated once they see everything in proper and full context - but Netflix does that sh*t for some reason. It was 100% their decision and I'm not sure why.

My personal theory is, with both that show and the CGI reboot happening, they decided to give us the ol' "MOTU Sandwich" to try and spread out exposure (and profits), while at the same time minimizing the damage if either one isn't well-received. Revelation Part 1 first, that way if people don't like it there's the full-on reboot coming down the pike, and if they DO like it, then "Guess what? There's more to come!" Likewise, if the CGI reboot doesn't land and people think it's too different from the "real" MOTU, then "Well, there's more Revelation coming out, and that's more in that familiar vein than not." So even if people were tepid about Part 1 but REALLY didn't like the CGI reboot, they might be more inclined to check out Part 2 of Revelation just for being a LITTLE more like "Classic MOTU". And if both shows do great then everybody wins. But in the inverse, if both shows did poorly but all ten episodes of Revelation had already aired, and THEN the reboot got a bad reaction... well then there's nowhere left to go.

What I predict is, the reboot will land with a bit of a thud (it is SO different from "real" MOTU that I just can't see it landing strong, and we all know the "New Audience of Kids" thing never, ever works) but Part 2 of Revelation will pleasantly surprise people, including some of the ones who wrote it off after Part 1. Probably not MOST of those people, but some. Most were gone the second they saw Teela's haircut but I think a few of the more even-tempered ones will be happy with the end result even if they had some doubts or reservations with Part 1.

We Shall See.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:37 AM   #683
ZariusTwo
Overlord

New He-Man is on Netflix now

Saw the first two episodes and...yeah, it has it's kinks, but I thought it went well. Bryan Q. Miller wrote them and he's one of my favourite comic/television writers.

Duncan's a bit anxious/overly quippy and nothing like Man-At-Arms, Teela has a phobia of cats (which they seem to forget about it almost as soon as the action kicks in), and Krass is the kind of friend Adam's rarely had in adaptations, someone who actually listens to him and understands his anxieties . Adam
isn't defined by He-Man's power and actually shows a lot of bravery on his own. Teela's also surprisingly nicer than usual too.

Keldor/Skeletor gets to kill a lot of people as well.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:31 AM   #684
ABrown
Banned

My apologies if it's already been mentioned, but has the release date been announced for Revelation's second set of episodes? For some reason I thought they were coming out the same day as the new CGI series.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:16 AM   #685
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
My apologies if it's already been mentioned, but has the release date been announced for Revelation's second set of episodes? For some reason I thought they were coming out the same day as the new CGI series.
At Powercon, they said the second part will drop toward the end of the year during a holiday
Old 09-16-2021, 09:19 AM   #686
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
At Powercon, they said the second part will drop toward the end of the year during a holiday
Oh, I seem to have been asleep, they brought it forward? I hope that holiday is Thanksgiving cause Christmas is practically January anyway.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:15 PM   #687
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Having just finished the new show...yeah, colour me impressed. There weren't many episodes, I think the show could have benefited from a few more, but that meant there was no real 'filler' either and the serialization was great. Randor and Adam had a brief but satisfying arc, and they took the changes to Orko and weaved yet another heartwarming and sympathetic take on the character.

They clearly have a plan for more, and I hope they get them
Old 09-16-2021, 05:04 PM   #688
Vegita-San
Emperor

Because it doesn't have the same type of hate marketing as the last one, I'llgive this more of a chance out of the gate, even if it is in name only. But also I think someone said it has a Turtles Forever writer on it? so chances are it could be good.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:51 PM   #689
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

IM about halfway though the new series. They went, they did their own thing using some familiar names and themes, updated for the current tropes that are out there without the 'tough female' character being completely unlikable. All around? The CG show so far is good as the show goes.

It helps that it didn't start in a bed of lies, with an unlikable lead.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:18 AM   #690
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Full version of the theme song

Old 10-10-2021, 06:00 PM   #691
Vegita-San
Emperor

how is it i'm enjoying the reboot far more than the 'continuation' of the classic series?

this for me feels as new and 'good' as the 2002 series first did when it aired.

the robots they fight in the episode premier also sounded oddly familiar.
and it's been bugging the heck out of me on where that exact same voice was used for another robot in another series.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 02:15 AM   #692
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
how is it i'm enjoying the reboot far more than the 'continuation' of the classic series?

this for me feels as new and 'good' as the 2002 series first did when it aired.

the robots they fight in the episode premier also sounded oddly familiar.
and it's been bugging the heck out of me on where that exact same voice was used for another robot in another series.
I don't know much about your personal taste or what you see in these shows, but I assume the main reason the reboot might seem less insulting to the audience in a sense? Ignoring the old show and how the Kevin Smith show might be "insulting" it or it's fans, it is still guilty of stupid oxshit like outright stating that Teela's "character flaw" is literally being afraid of being too good at being a badass, which isn't really a character flaw or even a a failed attempt to depict one. Even though the reboot is fairly childish, it is still more reasonable in it's character writing.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:24 AM   #693
newfan
Mad Scientist

Revelations part 2 will be on Netflix on the 23rd November. (Tweet from Smith)
Old 10-12-2021, 11:09 AM   #694
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Here's the poster

The savage confronting Skeletor is Prince Adam, the raw power of Grayskull brought out from him without the power sword.

Quote:
"With the full Power of Grayskull unleashed inside him, Adam gains a combination of primal rage and all of the power in the universe – the raw fury, the brutal strength, and the unbridled speed of ten He-Men! But without the Sword of Power to temper these mighty forces, Savage He-Man is all strength with no intellect to control it. The barbarian version of our hero leaves his friends wondering if Adam is truly present within the transformed beast, as he tears through Eternia in an uncontrolled frenzy. Luckily, Adam at his core possesses innate compassion, humility, goodness that rivals the Power of Grayskull itself. Only the Prince of Eternia could wield such Power and be both willing and able to relinquish it once the battle is won."
So Kevin's turned Adam into the Hulk for this one...or will this lead to a Beauty and the Beast moment that sets up Adam and Teela's romance?

https://bleedingcool.com/collectible...n-from-mattel/

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 10-12-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:36 AM   #695
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post

So Kevin's turned Adam into the Hulk for this one...or will this lead to a Beauty and the Beast moment that sets up Adam and Teela's romance?
]
I could see an instance where Teela would reach Adam through all that animal rage.
... as for what they are doing... I mean we knew Adam would be rising to get the sword back but I didn't quite see savage primal Adam coming. Was this ever a storyline in the comics?

Last edited by newfan; 10-12-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #696
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Revelation's tie-in comic concluded this week. Another 'Teela comes close to the truth so they wipe her memory' story, before that we get another entitled angry stomp from her, the sort of thing that makes her so endearing in the actual show.

Still, she winds up with her hair down towards the end, so that always fixes everything.

Also, rereading my posts in here, and I was a lot more positive towards Revelation than I am now. That's what continuous replays do to your brain, you just see so much more of the worst stuff.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 10-20-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:26 AM   #697
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean, yeah, if you've already decided you hate something, that's what happens.

Try putting Filmation out of your brain entirely and pretend it's actually just a straight sequel to the 200X show. Since that's the show it actually has more in common with stylistically, anyway. There's still discrepancies, but probably less of them than there are between Revelation and Filmation. Cringer talking is probably the biggest one, and you can just pretend he learned to talk offscreen after Season Two.

With regard to characters acting differently in Revelation than they did in Filmation... the crux of it is, back then, just in general, cartoon characters were one-dimensional archetypes, and TV simply isn't written that way anymore. So I really, REALLY don't know why anyone ever expected the show being made NOW to be full of a bunch of cardboard cutouts espousing pat-on-the-head platitudes as was fashionable THEN.

It's like asking why movies aren't silent anymore, with a piano soundtrack and a placard card of text every time a character speaks. "Why don't they just still do it That Way?" "...Because they just don't do things that way anymore. Are you effin' serious?"

I'd hope that everyone who already hates the first 5 episodes for reasons like that stays away from the second half of the series, now that they know for a fact the show isn't what they wanted. I doubt seeing the second half is truly going to do anything to satisfy them, because it's not magically going to become a Filmation pastiche in the 11th hour. People who wanted that, and didn't get that, should honestly just stay away from the second half of the series altogether, by my logic. If you hated the first swig of beer, drinking the whole bottle ain't gonna do nothin' but make you sick.

But we all know that's not how it's gonna go. It's gonna be another couple months of people going "Here's why I hated it" and it's all gonna be the same stuff they said from July through September. Like, just don't even bother, I'd say. If a person didn't like the first five, then watching the second five is just gonna be the BIGGEST waste of their time.

I mean, I'm nobody's Dad, I just can't fathom why people torture themselves in such a manner. "I hated this thing... I can't wait to see the rest of it, so I can hate it even more!" Jesus.

Old 10-21-2021, 02:36 PM   #698
ZariusTwo
Overlord

A He-Man.org member 'Protiennerd' has reportedly seen the second half of Revelation and has teased some things

1. It subverts more expectations, and features a lot more new characters/options for toys

2. Skeletor goes full-on Mark Hamil Joker

3. In his opinion, Sarah Michelle Geller remains a terrible voice for Teela

4. Some things will still evoke 'heated' discussions

5. There is a retcon made to an established relationship from almost every other version of MOTU, with the only exception being the second Netflix show (CGI).

6. Teela still gets most of the focus, but she isn't as unlikeable as in episodes 1-5

7. There is 'set up' for another series

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 10-21-2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:02 PM   #699
Leo656
The Franchise

Is Tri-Klops still wearing that stupid goddamn hat?

Old 10-22-2021, 05:14 AM   #700
Allio
Foot Elite

Kind of had a theory. Gonna look into seeing if He-man fits in Mattel’s little meta verse they have going on. If it’s part of the “land of stories”

Last edited by Allio; 10-22-2021 at 07:11 AM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote