The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-16-2016, 03:42 PM   #21
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Considering a studio hasn't even been announced to produce this, I find that bit of news highly doubtful.
And even if Michael Bay directed this, it's a lot harder to permanently damage a property like Pokémon in the public eye than a property like TMNT. It would be forgotten quickly like that infamous live action DBZ movie that came out some years ago was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
More people should, don't shame the guy who speaks against white-washing.

The kid's name is Satoshi...
You're right, but considering he's known as Ash Ketchum outside of Japan... don't be surprised that some not so smart people will have always assumed he to be a white guy. I can also see many "If Misty is Japanese than why is she a blue eyed redhead?!" comments of the sort from the general audience now.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #22
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Because Ash is supposed to be Japanese. They'll probably cast a white boy though.
I don't see what it matters. If the movie looks somewhat decent and the acting is good, who cares what color the skin of the actor is.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:24 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

Either way, whatever real life actors they cast will look nothing like the anime characters. There's no way they can duplicate Brock's eyes in live-action, etc.

I mean they could base it off the games with, "Red" but since they'll likely go for 90's nostalgia it'll probably be based on the anime.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #24
Prowler
Emperor

To be honest, Hollywood could possibly get away with turning those characters white or black easily since Pokémon, despite being a Japanese product, doesn't really have a setting that immediately tells you that it's Japanese. It's a fictional world(well there is also a region in Japan called Kanto...) with fictional creatures. And also, Pokémon has been localized to death that no one in North America or Europe knows the original names of the characters or many Pokémon. They only know their English names. Pokémon had to localize a lot of its naming due to all the puns, in order to make them understandable. In countries like Germany and France, they translate a lot of Pokémon names as well.

And considering this would be made by Americans, you know there'd be an outrage if everyone would be of the same race in this movie. It's like an unwritten rule that every American made stuff needs to have a representative or two of every major ethnic group residing in the country.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

Its weird Nintendo of America even wants this. Pokemon anime movies still come out annually in theaters in Japan, this year is the 19th movie about Volcanion.

Why would Nintendo even want a live-action movie? Certainly the Japanese don't want it which is why they've never done a live-action themselves over there.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #26
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Its weird Nintendo of America even wants this. Pokemon anime movies still come out annually in theaters in Japan, this year is the 19th movie about Volcanion.

Why would Nintendo even want a live-action movie? Certainly the Japanese don't want it which is why they've never done a live-action themselves over there.
And they no longer get released outside of Japan?
Old 04-16-2016, 06:03 PM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
And they no longer get released outside of Japan?
They do but just direct to DVD. In Japan they all come out in theaters.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:12 PM   #28
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
They do but just direct to DVD. In Japan they all come out in theaters.
Now that I think about it, I only recall hearing about the first two Pokémon films. I guess most of the rest ones never got cinematic released here either. Why does that no longer happen if Pokémon still sells a lot of games? Did the last Pokémon that got an international release have poor ticket sales or something?

I knwo that the highest selling generation was the RBY one, but I've had people aged 18-22 telling me that most of their friends and classmates were crazy about the games when they were little kids. And this is people who grew up with the Ruby and Saphire generation.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

Pokemon was a huge fad when it started and it dropped about halfway into Johto circa around 2001/2002. Without the huge fad of kids the franchise sustains itself by either hardcore fans or new younger kids. Obviously the games will always be popular as seen by their sales, but all secondary aspects are just that...secondary.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Pokemon was a huge fad when it started and it dropped about halfway into Johto circa around 2001/2002. Without the huge fad of kids the franchise sustains itself by either hardcore fans or new younger kids. Obviously the games will always be popular as seen by their sales, but all secondary aspects are just that...secondary.
But surely the anime still has decent enough ratings outside of Japan, right? After all, it was the anime that got kids outside of Japan into Pokémon in the first place. It's an important market tool of the franchise.

Being born in 1990, Pokémon was huge here between 1999 and 2002. Then from 2002-2003 onwards, the kids around my age seem to have stopped caring about it. But I assumed it was because they were burnt out of it or just felt like they were getting too old for it. In that time period I saw my classmates getting temporarily into Yu-Gi-Oh and Beyblade toys. But those didn't last long. Then some got into Magic the Gathering, but they were looked at as nerds by the more "jock" and social types.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:24 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

The anime is currently in its 19th season. I'm surprised it still runs outside of Japan, even though the current saga XY is one of the best written of the show...just the fact that its still running after 19 years is mind boggling.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #32
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
The anime is currently in its 19th season. I'm surprised it still runs outside of Japan, even though the current saga XY is one of the best written of the show...just the fact that its still running after 19 years is mind boggling.
Well, the reason I could never get into the Pokémon anime, even back when I was a kid, was because it was repetitive as hell. It takes dedication for some fans to still be watching it after all these years. But there are people nowadays who don't know that Pokémon still exists. At least back in 2007-2010 many people I talked to had no idea it was still around. Then again, the PSP outsold the DS here, meaning we're not much of a Nintendo loving country, so I guess I can see why many people I've met in HS had no idea the series was still around.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:39 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

I've watched at least 80% of the animes total episodes, so at least around 700ish out of 900ish episodes. I only stopped watching early into the BW arc.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #34
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I've watched at least 80% of the animes total episodes, so at least around 700ish out of 900ish episodes. I only stopped watching early into the BW arc.
And, in how many of those episodes, Team Rocket try to kidnap Pikachu and then are sent blasting off at the end?
Old 04-16-2016, 06:53 PM   #35
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
To be honest, Hollywood could possibly get away with turning those characters white or black easily since Pokémon, despite being a Japanese product, doesn't really have a setting that immediately tells you that it's Japanese. It's a fictional world(well there is also a region in Japan called Kanto...) with fictional creatures.
True. Even Satoshi's hometown is probably based on Yamanashi...possibly (just my assumption). Kanto's region consists of places like Tokyo, Yokohama, Saitama, Chiba, etc. That aside, outside of the first series (Kanto) that referenced Japanese culture and things quite a bit, the others really don't so much and I guess that was done to make it easier to adapt or whatever, into other languages without having to change too much.

Orange Island eps I figured were based on the Izu Islands...Cinnabar being the most northern of them. Hoenn was based on Kyushu (ironically, where the two big quakes hit recently). Never mind. Still should be easy to adapt and make an English Pokemon movie given how localized it is.
Quote:
And considering this would be made by Americans, you know there'd be an outrage if everyone would be of the same race in this movie. It's like an unwritten rule that every American made stuff needs to have a representative or two of every major ethnic group residing in the country.
Now this makes sense because the country is made up of many people with different backgrounds. It's annoying how people outside of the US always assume the country have white people only because of how our media is. I'm so sick of people thinking I'm from either South America or Africa as opposed to Canada, US, somewhere in the UK, etc., because I'm not white.

If they do a Pokemon movie, they should base it on X/Y since that was a multinational game.
Quote:
And, in how many of those episodes, Team Rocket try to kidnap Pikachu and then are sent blasting off at the end?
You know, I rewatched some of the first series a while back. It felt more like the Rockets had some kind of scheme going on and would coincidentally come across Satoshi and his friends. It felt more like killing two birds with one stone. They continue whatever their scheme was while trying to get Pikachu too. Of course there were times where they purposely went after the Satoshi and his companions, but there were quite a bit of them that didn't and it was more like an opportunity. Like with the Cerulean ep, for example. They'd gotten to Cerulean way before Satoshi and the others did and they were planning on robbing the gym. Pikachu just happened to be there. Of course they'll get blasted off again or defeated because they're the bad guys...but I do wish they would have it more like what I mentioned. They just happen to run into the twerps and then try to capture their Pokemon.

Of course I'm really no expert in the anime. Aside from Kanto and the Orange Islands, I've never seen a Pokemon series in full because I'd end up losing interest at some point. The new series (X/Y), I just have no interest in since the game's story was kind of....stupid to me.

Last edited by ssjup81; 04-16-2016 at 07:10 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #36
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
True. Even Satoshi's hometown is probably based on Yamanashi...possibly (just my assumption). Kanto's region consists of places like Tokyo, Yokohama, Saitama, Chiba, etc. That aside, outside of the first series (Kanto) that referenced Japanese culture and things quite a bit, the others really don't so much and I guess that was done to make it easier to adapt or whatever, into other languages without having to change too much.

Orange Island eps I figured were based on the Izu Islands...Cinnabar being the most northern of them. Hoenn was based on Kyushu (ironically, where the two big quakes hit recently). Never mind. Still should be easy to adapt and make an English Pokemon movie given how localized it is.Now this makes sense because the country is made up of many people with different backgrounds. It's annoying how people outside of the US always assume the country have white people only because of how our media is. I'm so sick of people thinking I'm from either South America or Africa as opposed to Canada, US, somewhere in the UK, etc., because I'm not white.

If they do a Pokemon movie, they should base it on X/Y since that was a multinational game.
Huh what? Who doesn't know that there's plenty of people of all origins in the USA? Who thinks Americans are all white?

And about every major American tv show and movie has black people in it. Not to mention all the popular rap music which is mostly made by black people. People around the world know that Kanye West and 50 Cent are American.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:15 PM   #37
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Huh what? Who doesn't know that there's plenty of people of all origins in the USA? Who thinks Americans are all white?

And about every major American tv show and movie has black people in it. Not to mention all the popular rap music which is mostly made by black people. People around the world know that Kanye West and 50 Cent are American.
I'm in Japan. First thing asked of me is if I'm from Africa or Brazil. I've gotten that with Chinese and Korean tourists here too. Some people here are in a bubble. Most media from the US that's widely viewed is predominantly white.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #38
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I'm in Japan. First thing asked of me is if I'm from Africa or Brazil. I've gotten that with Chinese tourists here too. Some people here are in a bubble. Most media from the US that's widely viewed is predominantly white.
Hmm aren't there lots of Brazilians of Japanese origin? But those obviously aren't black...

Are there many Africans in Japan? And what about Black Americans? Japan is a very homogeneous country, so there might not be that many immigrants there.

I wonder what kind of American movies and tv shows are Japanese people watching, then. And what kind of music as well, for it to be so rare for them to see Black American people in those products.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #39
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Hmm aren't there lots of Brazilians of Japanese origin? But those obviously aren't black...

Are there many Africans in Japan? And what about Black Americans? Japan is a very homogeneous country, so there might not be that many immigrants there.

I wonder what kind of American movies and tv shows are Japanese people watching, then. And what kind of music as well, for it to be so rare for them to see Black American people in those products.
They show quite a few things here and some rap music is known, but not everyone would listen to it or know much about it.

Foreigners here are very few and here I'm a minority within a minority, given my dark skin. Black Americans do reside here and stuff. Same with Africans.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #40
sdp
-

When I first read this I thought it was an absolutely terrible idea since Pokemon is just something that doesn't translate well to live action; I'm talking worse than DBEvolution but after reading the comments of Cubed here I warmed up to the idea. If you can have a stupid fun idea it could definitely work as a weird alternative version of Pokemon but we'll see if this ever makes it out of production hell.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a day inside may, adayinsidemaythemovie, detective sjw, goddammithollywood, picuckchu, pikapool, really?