The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 03-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #21
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I like speaking to groups of people. I demand attention.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #22
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I like speaking to groups of people. I demand attention.
Yes, you are the cure to the masses.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:09 PM   #23
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Used to be terrified of it but now I enjoy it after gradually improving over the years.

We all realize at one point that overthinking the situation in order to make things better, ends up making it all worse.

Many people nowdays are always afraid and conscious of what others think, no wonder they are scared to do something as simple as speaking in public.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #24
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
What if some people have a professional teacher mode and a slightly more relaxed off the job mode?

Or if someone's area or style of teaching relies far more on their speaking and presentation skills than writing skills, I don't imagine everyone necessarily has to write absolutely perfectly like a college English professor, esp off the job.

MikeandRaph87, your classes sound fun. Wish I'd had classes like that.
Quite astute of you. It is true. I am as I said quite the introvert and relaxed yet in the job I am demanding and one to reach to gain interest. Is Cubed really Cubed 24/7/365 on and offline?

So we had to learn Spinning Jinny and Flying Shuttle in the Industrial Revolution. To help differentiate similar inventions I create phrases. John Kay Flying ShuttleCloth. Also, LeatherHead Swims as an acroymn for leather Hargraves, and Spinning Jinny. About 1/3rd of the groups knows who he is so it works. Yes,I made it work so Leatherhead helps 16 year olds learn European History. The Industrial Revolution and Imperialism examples are just two examples of the classroom in European History.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:26 PM   #25
Katie
Just...way too serious.

I'm a very comfortable public speaker. Very good at speaking off the cuff to. It's been a very good skill for climbing ladders at work. Its good to be able to do something that others fear.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Also, LeatherHead Swims as an acroymn for leather Hargraves, and Spinning Jinny. About 1/3rd of the groups knows who he is so it works. Yes,I made it work so Leatherhead helps 16 year olds learn European History.y.
I'm surprised High School kids today even know who Leatherhead is, I assume they only know of the Nick cartoon incarnation?

It's hard to believe High School and College teachers these days are now into videogames and cartoons because it's our generation grown up. Back when we were kids all our teachers were old prudes who wouldn't touch videogames or cartoons with a ten foot pole.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #27
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
I'm a very comfortable public speaker. Very good at speaking off the cuff to. It's been a very good skill for climbing ladders at work. Its good to be able to do something that others fear.
You can say that again...

I speak and perform regularly in and out of work. The more you do, the easier it gets. The most important thing is to know your material. If you don't need to look at cue cards, you come off a LOT more natural..
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:41 PM   #28
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Public speaking…I’m not particularly fond of it, but I think I’m better than when I was a kid. As a kid, I couldn’t even step onto a stage with an empty audience without getting super nervous. I think doing the whole teaching thing has helped me a lot, but it also depends on the audience. If it’s a bunch of stuffy guys in suits with a bunch of serious “we are not amused” looks on their faces will really rattle me. A bunch of kids, no problem.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #29
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
As for music, well I dunno, if you play at parties at clubs and such it will be a bit dark for you to see the audience, no? They'll be too busy partying and drinking rather than looking at the DJ. Like you've said, it's a bit different.
Not really, no. It's all eyes on you. I'm not a DJ, not talking about being some dope in the back with a laptop. I'm part of a trio of MC's, we do shows where people come to see us perform. So yeah, it's different, but you're still saying words to an audience of 50-200 people who are staring right at you. You're expected to engage them, you're responsible for their energy level, & if they're snoozin', it's probably your fault.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:45 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Not really, no. It's all eyes on you. I'm not a DJ, not talking about being some dope in the back with a laptop. I'm part of a trio of MC's, we do shows where people come to see us perform. So yeah, it's different, but you're still saying words to an audience of 50-200 people who are staring right at you. You're expected to engage them, you're responsible for their energy level, & if they're snoozin', it's probably your fault.
Oh damn, rapping seems tough. And not something a guy who stutters at times like me could ever do lol

Do you freestyle and do rap battles as well?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #31
Powder
So tired of this place

I used to, but I don't really have the drive for it these days.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:21 PM   #32
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Basically your dialogue and posting structure. It doesn't resemble that of a professional teacher. A lot of your posts tend to have spelling errors or not spaced correctly after a period, I'm not sure if it's because you type on a phone or not but it's awkward to read sometimes.
Honestly I always just thought he was drunk or typing on a phone, but even then I just can't wrap my mind around what he's trying to say sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
What if some people have a professional teacher mode and a slightly more relaxed off the job mode?

Or if someone's area or style of teaching relies far more on their speaking and presentation skills than writing skills, I don't imagine everyone necessarily has to write absolutely perfectly like a college English professor, esp off the job.

MikeandRaph87, your classes sound fun. Wish I'd had classes like that.
I mean yeah, there's being relaxed and then there's being intelligible. Sometimes I get text messages from people and I just scratch my head because I have no idea what the **** they were tryng to say.

But props to you MikeandRaph87 for getting the kids involved in class; I see kids in schools through work and I know that so many of them go through the whole day without engaging in their own education. Most of the kids I see can barely even read
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:38 AM   #33
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I always loved public speaking and was never that scared about it. I was in drama club in high school and part of oratoricals so that was a big thing for me. I would probably still be nervous about it, but for the most part, I have always been pretty comfortable with it.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #34
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Honestly I always just thought he was drunk or typing on a phone, but even then I just can't wrap my mind around what he's trying to say sometimes

I mean yeah, there's being relaxed and then there's being intelligible. Sometimes I get text messages from people and I just scratch my head because I have no idea what the **** they were tryng to say.

But props to you MikeandRaph87 for getting the kids involved in class; I see kids in schools through work and I know that so many of them go through the whole day without engaging in their own education. Most of the kids I see can barely even read
Who was drunk,Cubed,Cipher, or myself? I ask because I am not familiar with drunken styles as a non-drinker.

This day and age you have to be relaxed or else the job will make you crazy. As for the students,you have to find ways to reach out to them to get results especially since higher ups only care about numbers on standardized test and I find find avenues to get it.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:23 AM   #35
Stephen
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Some are fine with it while others find it daunting. Where do you fall in on the scale?
Not that keen on it. We had to do class presentations a few times in college, but fortunately those weren't that frequent.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cubism