The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 04-28-2007, 03:28 PM   #261
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

I recently read the Army of Darkness Movie Adaptation TPB, which reprints the Movie Adaption comics #s 1-3 that were originally published individually by Dark Horse Comics in 1993. Anyways, seeing as the comics were publised as a TPB for the first time, it got the Dynamite Entertainment treatment, which means it includes an interview with Bruce Campbell by writer Kurt Busiek who also provides the forward as bonus features. Illustrated by John Bolton and based on the screenplay by Sam Raimi and Ivan Raimi, I don't think I could ask for a better adaptation. Hail to the king, baby!

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:04 PM   #262
Aries10
Thug

I have now moved on to Inazo Nitobe's book on Bushido.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:17 PM   #263
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Adrienne Barbeau's autobiography, "There Are Worse Things I Could Do."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #264
Aries10
Thug

The Art of War by Sun Tzu.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #265
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

At the moment, I'm reading Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy. I found the book on the toilet last Sunday, so I'm assuming that it's my brother's. Whoever it belongs to, I have it now.

The book's more or less funny and/or good. The whole magic-plot is fairly interesting and not all the cutesy-pie stuff like in the first three Harry Potters. Basically, it's about this twelve-year old girl with the snarky attitude of a twenty-five year old and her friend, Skulduggery Pleasant. Said man is an undead skeleton and a detective in the magic world. And he has reason to believe that someone is about to break the truce between good and evil magic.

You guessed it, the main character is a terrible Mary Sue. Not only is she the only human character in the book who isn't a complete tool or a crook, but she's also amazing when it comes to magic and detectiving. Sure, she's still a rookie at both, but she learns at an amazing pace. Faster than anyone else. And while Skulduggery has been a detective for centuries or millennia even, Stephanie (the girl) outsmarts him on a regular basis. And that's the book's biggest flaw. Would Landy have made Stephanie about eight years older and the other human characters a bit more credible, the book would qualify as good. The way it is now, it's a good pastime and not something you'd remember years after you've read it. It's just got too many "Yeah, suuuuuure...."-moments in it.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:33 PM   #266
Super Moderator

I received Densha Otoko (Train Man) in the mail a few days ago. This is, hands down, the best love story ever told. And it's based on a true story. A real inspiration for nerds across the globe.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:27 AM   #267
Swany
Stone Warrior

Just started "The Amber Spyglass" by Phillip Pullman this morning, up to chapter 5. Really enjoying the books (His Dark Materials). I cried last night when I finished "The Subtle Knife"
Old 05-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #268
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swany View Post
Just started "The Amber Spyglass" by Phillip Pullman this morning, up to chapter 5. Really enjoying the books (His Dark Materials). I cried last night when I finished "The Subtle Knife"
Cool!! I just started reading The Golden Compass (first book in the His Dark Materials trillogy).

Found out about the book from the website of the upcoming movie. Man was I surprised to find out that it's a trillogy. Found that out at the book store. Definatly gonna get the next 2 books in the series.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:28 AM   #269
Swany
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
Cool!! I just started reading The Golden Compass (first book in the His Dark Materials trillogy).

Found out about the book from the website of the upcoming movie. Man was I surprised to find out that it's a trillogy. Found that out at the book store. Definatly gonna get the next 2 books in the series.

Yeah, I finished the third one last night and cried..again. Theyr'e very good. But kinda confusing.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:44 PM   #270
Chase
Thug

I just started Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson. its the third book of the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Ninja Vanish
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:53 PM   #271
Aries10
Thug

I'm halfway through Ellis Avery's "The Teahouse Fire".
Old 05-17-2007, 04:48 AM   #272
Scandia
Mad Scientist

I just finished listening to "The Golden Compass" on tape.

And of course, yesterday I read all 5 prequels and the movie adaptation of TMNT
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #273
Swany
Stone Warrior

THe Earth, My butt, and other big round things. By Carolyn Mackler. I love her writing.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #274
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

At the moment, I'm reading "The Trip Of Hector" by François LeLord. It's quite difficult to read since it's written in a very, very simplistic form. As in "Hector walked over to the women. The women sat there and stopped laughing as Hector approached. They were thinking that Hector might plan on making them stop laughing..." Basically, the writing could easily be found in a children's book. But, what makes me read it is the entire story. It's about Hector, a psychiatrist "From the country with the most psychiatrists in the world" (but sooner or later, evidence points to the country being France) and Hector's problem is that he is supposed to make people happy again, but doesn't have a clue what happiness actually is. So he decides to go out and look at happiness everywhere.

All in all, it's a rather charming book that shows us situations we all know from a very simplistic and sometimes borderline naive point of view. But the funny thing is, the things said are all true. The first person he goes to see is a banker in Hong Kong (generally referred to as "China") and he's very tired, full of cocaine and speed and works 80 hours a week, at least. And the book says "And Hector thought that in the country where people work 80 hours a week in fusions and overtakings, happiness can be found in a good night's sleep and a talk to a real friend."

Although it's rather difficult to get into it, I recommend it to everyone, since it's not only funny but also very insightful.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:54 PM   #275
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

I started reading Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way the other day and it's quite enjoyable so far. Seeing as it has bouns material that the original copy didn't have -- like an introduction -- I'm hoping it'll live up to my expectations.

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:41 PM   #276
SassyGal
Mad Scientist

I am now reading The 5th Horseman by James Patterson. It's the 5th (obviously ) in a series called the The Women's Murder Club. All of the books so far have been really good & so far, this one is promising to follow in their footsteps.
SassyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:54 AM   #277
Swany
Stone Warrior

Tithe by Holly Black.

Second or third time reading it now I think. I won it in a competition at school. That an "letters form the inside" and "The curious incident of the dog in the night-time"
Old 05-23-2007, 09:31 AM   #278
SassyGal
Mad Scientist

I just finished reading The 5th Horseman and it was great! Definitely recomend it, if crime dramas are your thing!
SassyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #279
Scandia
Mad Scientist

And today I finished "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court". Some parts were great. Others just dragged.
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #280
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator

I'm starting ' A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini. His 'Kite Runner' was fantastic, and thus far, this has not disappointed!