The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #1
jignat
Foot Soldier

Character Aspects I hope they shy away from in future adaptations

In Mirage, Baxter was an independent villain. but in 1987 (for the first few seasons), he was allied with Shredder, as well as 2003, 2012. Return him to a loner.

Also, dont make Karai into a protege or adopted daughter of Shredder or Splinter. Either she should be introduced after Shredder is dead or maybe as a rival even. Wasnt Mirage Karai older than Saki anyway?

Having one of the tmnt be super horny for April. Don in 2012 , Mike in the PD/Bay films. Yuch. "She called me Mikey" is fine not "My shell is tightening"

April should be a regular 20something human with no powers. I would like her to learn some fighting from Casey, not Splinter or turtles. This is controversial, but I liked her as an Indiana Jones type in the fourth movie. It gives her stuff independent of the turtles yet can provide plot points for potential stories
She has been depicted as learning martial arts from Splinter in some iterations, but that leads to stuff like getting a hit on Karai on the 2007 movie.

Do you have any you would like to share or have issue with mine?

Discuss.
jignat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Karai and Baxter independent from Shredder.

Not making Mikey 'the dumb one'. If he must be the funny one, use another brand of humor other than 'dumb is funny' and 'lol-so-random'. And idk.... just spread the wisecracks among the others, possible exception being Leo. Don't burden Mikey with ALL of the humor in the series.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:38 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jignat View Post
In Mirage, Baxter was an independent villain. but in 1987 (for the first few seasons), he was allied with Shredder, as well as 2003, 2012. Return him to a loner.

Also, dont make Karai into a protege or adopted daughter of Shredder or Splinter. Either she should be introduced after Shredder is dead or maybe as a rival even. Wasnt Mirage Karai older than Saki anyway?

Having one of the tmnt be super horny for April. Don in 2012 , Mike in the PD/Bay films. Yuch. "She called me Mikey" is fine not "My shell is tightening"

April should be a regular 20something human with no powers. I would like her to learn some fighting from Casey, not Splinter or turtles. This is controversial, but I liked her as an Indiana Jones type in the fourth movie. It gives her stuff independent of the turtles yet can provide plot points for potential stories
She has been depicted as learning martial arts from Splinter in some iterations, but that leads to stuff like getting a hit on Karai on the 2007 movie.

Do you have any you would like to share or have issue with mine?

Discuss.
Let's just cover the issues I may have with yours first:
  1. I don't see much reason to keep Baxter totally independant. He doesn't have to be anyone's lackey, just work with others depending on what suits him. As an engineer, it isn't hard to imagine him working with multiple other villains. Remember, his motive is pretty much to get rich, so he might as well just different jobs. Which can be interesting as he could end up working with rivaling factions.
  2. I'm not by any means against Karai being related to Shredder or Yoshi, they are all part of the Foot Clan anyway. Similar to the Baxter situation, I can see why it might be lame to just have her be a henchwoman all the time. That doesn't mean you can't tell some interesting stories without making them related however.
  3. Turtles being horny for April... Yeah, that's kind of weird. If you have to write them as having/wanting girlfriends, please stick to mutants or aliens. It's always going to get weird no matter what considering they're unique creatures, but at least with mutants/aliens it's a little more likely the whole "attracted to a different species" thing will just fly over people's heads.
  4. April as a fighter I don't really mind, if she's going to hang out with ninjas she might as well learn how to fight, shich might as well be from Splinter. Of course, the psychic human-utrom hybrid thing and other similar idea are terrible.

As for some of my own ideas:
  1. Baxter should not mutate into a fly, it has nothing to do with the strengths of his character. If you have to do something like that with him, stick to the Cyborg angle, at least that ties into his abilities as an engineer.
  2. April should not be a reporter. It's just kind of odd to have her in a profession where her job is to bring light to unusual things, while also keeping unusual things under wraps.
  3. The mutagen's properties need to be clear, I don't want to see it turn cars into demons again or anything else you might need a better plot device for. For the love of god, if it doesn't make sense to make the character a mutant, just make them an alien or something.
  4. Building on that, avoid turning humans into mutants, it's usually what leads to that slippery slope. If you're going to insist on making Splinter Hamato Yoshi, stick to the reincarnation thing.
  5. Downplay Bebop and Rocksteady if you're going to use them. They're not especially good characters in the first place and get old real fast, avoid them in general.
  6. Mike should not be defined as the stupid one.
  7. No turtle vans, blimps, helicopters or other questionable vehicles, OK? Such things are antithetical to the stealth thing.
  8. Never use the Kraang ever again. Just stick to the Utroms and have Krang as singular character, don't mash them up in that weird way ever again. Also, avoid the Technodrome, it is a confusing mess of a plot device.
  9. The most important thing of them all here, don't introduce characters just because. Characters need a clearly defined role in the story, there is a little too much of characters existing in TMNT because they needed more toys or simply because the writers wanted to do something neat without thinking ahead. Please stop doing that.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:48 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

100% on board with you, jignat.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:52 PM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Neutral on the Baxter thing. He can easily stand on his own really, but I can see why they tend to intertwine him as well as other villains into the main plot line.

I'd rather Karai just remain someone of high rank within the Foot and largely operating alone heading the branch back in Japan. Other than visits "on business," reasonable to have her show up largely only after Shredder is gone and taking over his position in the U.S.

Yeah, agree, no Turtle/April thing. The Turtles can have interests elsewhere, and hell, I don't even care if it's a crush on another human, but lets stop trying to make the primary friendships weird by going there. We're better off with sending April back to being an adult.

I don't mind if April learns a little from Splinter and the Turtles. It makes sense that her friends might teach her a little for basic self defense, esp with the risk of having ties to them. But she has her own life, career, and priorities, and becoming a full blown martial artist shouldn't have to be one of them. Enough to defend herself is fine, and who better to learn from than people who know what they're doing. Casey isn't exactly a professional fighter and some versions of him are a bit of a nut, so... disagree on that.

Not that there couldn't be a version of April who was interested in martial arts, but in that case it would make sense that adult April would have already be learning before she even met the TMNT.

edit: Given the different body types, Splinter and the Turtles being only able to teach a human a limited amount, because they themselves have to compensate in ways a human does not so their style is a little altered, would even make sense for a reason to excuse April from learning more than just the basics for self defense.

My own issues otherwise are just the same things often discussed/complained about on here. The dumbing down of Mikey, the increased nerdifying of Donnie, etc.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-24-2021 at 07:59 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:39 PM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jignat View Post
Where do we stand on "The girl is a fox!"?

Ahhhh, Leo. Just as "bad" as the others, he just hides it better.

Off the top of my head, Mikey shouldn't be such an idiot and Donnie shouldn't be a stand-in for Sheldon from "Big Bang Theory".

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #7
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Stop mutating or mutlating Baxter Stockman all the time. Keep him Human, and when it's time for the turtles to fight a mad scientist, it is usually Baxter Stockman with his dangerous inventions, not some silly "mad scientist of the week".
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:45 AM   #8
Torterra
Foot Soldier

Don't have Raphael as " the angry one" all day everyday. You can have a mellow Raphael in the series that occasionally have a temper. But angry shouldn't be his default emotion all the time.

Don't have Michelangelo as 'the dumb one' If he's going to be the funny one or the main comic relief character use another brand of humor other than 'dumb is funny' and 'lol-so-random'. Have him naive but smart enough to know when it's time to get serious and show more his caring side like show why he's the heart of the family as suppose to the dumb ass that needs to be slapped everytime he opens his mouth.

If your going to give the turtles vehicles like a van or a motorcycle make them more subtle instead of giving NINJAS what's basically a clown car something like the stealth bike from the 2012 series as a example it was subtle and if they were hiding or following something that was flying in blending in to the surroundings.

Have Baxter work as an independent villain or if he does team up with Shredder it's as partners not a "villain lackey" thing.

Do something more with Rocksteady and Bebop instead of being stupid minions have them be dangerous and really good at their jobs. Make them something that when they show up the turtles are like "Oh crap" instead of " Oh you guys again".

Last edited by Torterra; 04-04-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:12 PM   #9
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Let's just cover the issues I may have with yours first:
  1. I don't see much reason to keep Baxter totally independant. He doesn't have to be anyone's lackey, just work with others depending on what suits him. As an engineer, it isn't hard to imagine him working with multiple other villains. Remember, his motive is pretty much to get rich, so he might as well just different jobs. Which can be interesting as he could end up working with rivaling factions.
  2. I'm not by any means against Karai being related to Shredder or Yoshi, they are all part of the Foot Clan anyway. Similar to the Baxter situation, I can see why it might be lame to just have her be a henchwoman all the time. That doesn't mean you can't tell some interesting stories without making them related however.
  3. Turtles being horny for April... Yeah, that's kind of weird. If you have to write them as having/wanting girlfriends, please stick to mutants or aliens. It's always going to get weird no matter what considering they're unique creatures, but at least with mutants/aliens it's a little more likely the whole "attracted to a different species" thing will just fly over people's heads.
  4. April as a fighter I don't really mind, if she's going to hang out with ninjas she might as well learn how to fight, shich might as well be from Splinter. Of course, the psychic human-utrom hybrid thing and other similar idea are terrible.

As for some of my own ideas:
  1. Baxter should not mutate into a fly, it has nothing to do with the strengths of his character. If you have to do something like that with him, stick to the Cyborg angle, at least that ties into his abilities as an engineer.
  2. April should not be a reporter. It's just kind of odd to have her in a profession where her job is to bring light to unusual things, while also keeping unusual things under wraps.
  3. The mutagen's properties need to be clear, I don't want to see it turn cars into demons again or anything else you might need a better plot device for. For the love of god, if it doesn't make sense to make the character a mutant, just make them an alien or something.
  4. Building on that, avoid turning humans into mutants, it's usually what leads to that slippery slope. If you're going to insist on making Splinter Hamato Yoshi, stick to the reincarnation thing.
  5. Downplay Bebop and Rocksteady if you're going to use them. They're not especially good characters in the first place and get old real fast, avoid them in general.
  6. Mike should not be defined as the stupid one.
  7. No turtle vans, blimps, helicopters or other questionable vehicles, OK? Such things are antithetical to the stealth thing.
  8. Never use the Kraang ever again. Just stick to the Utroms and have Krang as singular character, don't mash them up in that weird way ever again. Also, avoid the Technodrome, it is a confusing mess of a plot device.
  9. The most important thing of them all here, don't introduce characters just because. Characters need a clearly defined role in the story, there is a little too much of characters existing in TMNT because they needed more toys or simply because the writers wanted to do something neat without thinking ahead. Please stop doing that.

Agree with most of this and I'd just like to add that the turtles should wear red. If you must color code them because you're a crazy toon fan, wrap the weapons like 2k3 did but leave them, as a team, wearing red bandanas.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:34 PM   #10
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Agree with most of this and I'd just like to add that the turtles should wear red. If you must color code them because you're a crazy toon fan, wrap the weapons like 2k3 did but leave them, as a team, wearing red bandanas.
Hmmm keep em red, but give them different shades of green and body builds. The color wraps would look kinda stupid against the red bandanas.

By different body builds, make some a bit more muscular than others, but just don't go overboard with like giant-sized Raph like they did before.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 04-04-2021, 07:41 PM   #11
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Hmmm keep em red, but give them different shades of green and body builds. The color wraps would look kinda stupid against the red bandanas.

By different body builds, make some a bit more muscular than others, but just don't go overboard with like giant-sized Raph like they did before.
I'd be okay with that except they're all supposed to be red eared sliders... so maybe make a couple taller or leaner but still roughly the same shape.

As far as their wraps, don't go vibrant colors like 2k3 does but more muted colors. Just a splash of their toon shades. Instead of bright orange for Mikey, go with a burnt orange thats hardly noticeable. And then Leo's blue could be super dark as well. And then, if you leave goggles on Donnie, we know who wears goggles... The one aspect I really liked about 2k12 for Raph was the lil cracked bit of shell. Make it less Harry Potter lightning shaped & that would be enough to tell them apart.

I dunno. For me, its just that they're a "ninja team' (and yeah, I hate stealing that bit of toon theme song, but it works) and as such, its far easier to keep the Foot guessing how many turtles there are, if they aren't color coded. Makes more real world sense, in a sense.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:32 PM   #12
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

I'm okay with April not learning martial arts at all. Give her a gun...are cartoon characters still allowed to have those?

Multifaceted Turtles is what we all want. Flanderization is what we all don't want. So yeah no more "Mikey is actually stupid af". Though I'm okay with idiot savant moments that shouldn't be his personality all the time. It gets annoying. Same with Raph literally waking up angry and going to sleep pissed all day every day.

I don't really understand why people hate Karai being related to shredder, no matter what if she is his ally and in the foot clan then what does it matter if there is a familial relationship or not? What does it give or take from Karai? Let me know because I don't understand.

That being said...I really don't...care? I mean in 2012 and 03 Karai was adopted more or less by Shredder. So even if Karai doesn't consider herself Shredder's daughter she can still have strong loyalty to him and the footclan. Because the footclan....is a cult. So like yeah. I don't get it. It doesn't matter if she is or isn't Shredder's daughter. She can change dynamically no matter what her association to Shredder is.

Can I say I wish future versions of Turtles would shy away from Shredder all together? At least a little bit? Other bad guys exist. He doesn't have to be the final boss every single time.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:40 PM   #13
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
I'm okay with April not learning martial arts at all. Give her a gun...are cartoon characters still allowed to have those?

Multifaceted Turtles is what we all want. Flanderization is what we all don't want. So yeah no more "Mikey is actually stupid af". Though I'm okay with idiot savant moments that shouldn't be his personality all the time. It gets annoying. Same with Raph literally waking up angry and going to sleep pissed all day every day.

I don't really understand why people hate Karai being related to shredder, no matter what if she is his ally and in the foot clan then what does it matter if there is a familial relationship or not? What does it give or take from Karai? Let me know because I don't understand.

That being said...I really don't...care? I mean in 2012 and 03 Karai was adopted more or less by Shredder. So even if Karai doesn't consider herself Shredder's daughter she can still have strong loyalty to him and the footclan. Because the footclan....is a cult. So like yeah. I don't get it. It doesn't matter if she is or isn't Shredder's daughter. She can change dynamically no matter what her association to Shredder is.

Can I say I wish future versions of Turtles would shy away from Shredder all together? At least a little bit? Other bad guys exist. He doesn't have to be the final boss every single time.
I mean Karai is supposed to be Shredder's superior, so having her take orders from him is demeaning. Like she rules the entire Japanese branch of the Foot while Saki only runs the New York branch.

Old 04-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #14
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I mean Karai is supposed to be Shredder's superior, so having her take orders from him is demeaning. Like she rules the entire Japanese branch of the Foot while Saki only runs the New York branch.
I mean I guess but its not like the Japan branch is important to anything. When it comes to her rank I can take it or leave it. When it comes to her relationship status to Shredder I can take it or leave it. She can be Shredder's subordinate who usurps his power. Or a superior who kills Shredder herself when/if he becomes a liability. As long as she is a cunning enemy for the Turtles then I'll like most likely like Karai.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:15 PM   #15
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
I mean I guess but its not like the Japan branch is important to anything. When it comes to her rank I can take it or leave it. When it comes to her relationship status to Shredder I can take it or leave it. She can be Shredder's subordinate who usurps his power. Or a superior who kills Shredder herself when/if he becomes a liability. As long as she is a cunning enemy for the Turtles then I'll like most likely like Karai.
Karai was always meant to be the "Shredder dun ****ed up, the hell is he doing over there in the US? Lemme go clean that **** up" character.

I would love some version of the series to revisit that.

Old 07-30-2022, 04:13 PM   #16
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

I like it when Mikey is the heart of the group, instead of just being reduced to the funny or dumb one, his role as the dumb/funny one has been overused.

he might be a bit naive but he's still a strong fighter like the rest of his brothers, so I'd like for Mikey to be portrayed as the optimistic, heart of the team, who sometimes makes funny jokes, but jokes that don't seem forced, being naive but still able to join in a fight

Raphael needs to settle down once in a while, I liked how in his turtle temper episode of the 2012 series that the trait was explored and we saw more of what he's like when he's not angry, and when he is sometimes affectionate with his brothers. I get that his temper is part of his personality and it is entertaining, but he should be allowed to express more emotions,

it would also be neat if he had more of a wise-cracking attitude like he did in the Fred Wolf series while still being a tough dude.

Donatello should have more interests outside of technology and science, I liked how the 2012 series made Leo be into space heroes, saying cheesy quotes while balancing it with his role as a responsible leader.

His technical knowledge is helpful to the turtles on missions and he can be quite sweet like in the 2003 series but sometimes he can get quite condescending, if his interests have to stay tech-related that's understandable but he should have more to him.

and bring Krang back, I love his personality in the Fred wolf series and the dynamic he has with Shredder, 2012 krang sounds more like a cat than a utrom.
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:51 PM   #17
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

I may be out of line here, but I have noticed a trend in more recent iterations of Donatello and Michelangelo to...neurodivergent code them? With Mikey implying to have ADHD and occasionally Donny being aspie. I don't know. may be way off base here, but that is the vibe a get from them in their presentation sometimes. ADHD Mikey in particular I do not care for.

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:06 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

No more Dude Mikey. Obviously. That's probably the biggest one.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:24 PM   #19
Ninjinister
無問題

I personally think that Mike and Don's best incarnations are the best all-round in IDW, so I'd like those sorts.

Mike isn't stupid, he's just the heart of the team. He doesn't fight unless he needs to, but he will throw down just as hard, if not harder. He's the kind you don't want to piss off. But he also doesn't *have* to fight - remember, complete the mission by any means necessary, even if it means talking down your opponent. Make him like a Goku type where he can win friends out of enemies - obviously not on a regular basis, but more like with Slash where he's nice to the big/dumb or underappreciated and he wins them over, or at least get someone to walk away because he makes them see reason.

Don in IDW isn't a catch-all omninerd, he has his limitations, he can't just whip up an invention or chemical out of nowhere and make it deus ex machina them out of any plot. He has sort of a support network in Harold, Libby, and Honeycutt, where he bounces ideas and gets them to help when he's out of his element. He sort of had that in April and Leatherhead in 2003, but it was to a much lesser degree.

Although I gotta say, mad scientist Don in Rise is hilarious.

Another thing about Rise that I liked is that they tried their own thing more than others. It's not that I don't like recurring characters and references to things, it's just that TMNT is unique against Marvel and DC where it doesn't have like... a single "main" canon to pull from, so it really stands on its own when an incarnation is paving its own path. That and I'm tired of everyone jacking off 87 like crazy. And I actually enjoy it more when lesser-known/more obscure stuff gets into a new incarnation than the big ones. I'm not even saying they have to be as deep cuts as a character from the UK comic strip or something, just idk, among the 10 new characters made up for season 1 or first 20 issues of a book, you can throw in Bradford and the Tribunal Acolytes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, agree, no Turtle/April thing. The Turtles can have interests elsewhere, and hell, I don't even care if it's a crush on another human, but lets stop trying to make the primary friendships weird by going there. We're better off with sending April back to being an adult.
The most messed up thing is every single person who has had some sort of hard-on about April hooking up with a Turtle have been the same ones who are like "ew furries" for Mutant Town. Like... what the ****? That's inarguably ''weirder''.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:57 AM   #20
Hockey Boy
Random Punk

I don’t ever ever ever ever wanna see the turtles fall in love again

Michelangelo being a mental vegetable for comedy. In 2012, it just kept pushing and pushing, and in season 4 it even suggested that mentally he is stuck at a child’s level.

Stop making Raph one note “angry man” all the time. 2012 Raph would just regularly beat on his brothers for no reason and act as a sort of bully for them all…which is NOT fun to watch for 5 seasons straight.

Please, stop beating up Casey all the time. I know the reasoning, he’s just a guy with no training- but why not GIVE him training? It’d be so easy.

Dont do the “Leo’s so much better than the other turtles” stuff like 2012. Cmon, in the final battle they all get knocked away so Leo can deal the finishing blow on Shredder? Cmon! Half the theme of your whole franchise is family and teamwork!
-Purple Dra-Gons, come out and Pla-ay!- 2003
-And Im sayin - Make me.- 2011
-Casey Jones shoots - He scores!- 2012
-Hey, fellas!Remember me?- 2016
-id start running if I were you!- 2018
Hockey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote