The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

View Poll Results: Which ones?
Nintendo 64 24 64.86%
GameCube 24 64.86%
Wii 28 75.68%
Wii U 17 45.95%
Nintendo Switch 23 62.16%
Sega CD 8 21.62%
Sega Saturn 8 21.62%
Dreamcast 9 24.32%
PS1 21 56.76%
PS2 29 78.38%
PS3 18 48.65%
PS4 16 43.24%
X-Box 8 21.62%
X-Box 360 14 37.84%
X-Box One 7 18.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #21
Galactus
Foot Elite

Looking at this thread it's interesting to see how the consumption of console gaming has changed. When I was a kid the Nintendo vs Sega marketing campaign meant I was exclusive to Nintendo for a long time (and I've certainly kept up that brand loyalty over time. It was a big deal for me when I persuaded my Grandparents to buy me the Multi Mega and that was because the catalogue were practically giving them away with a bunch of free games and it was late in both systems life cycles. At the time it felt huge to own two of the then current consoles but now it's fairly normal.

"super nintendo sega genesis when i was dead broke man I couldn't picture this"

Notorious B.I.G.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:54 PM   #22
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm so glad that my parents, or specifically my Dad, never pulled that "If you want ____ you have to get rid of ____" bullsh*t. Obviously I understood money and that you can't have everything, but my Dad always made it a point even when we didn't have a lot of money to try and spoil me as much as possible. I think because he worked a lot and he and my Mom fought all the time, and sometimes when he was at work she'd get drunk and terrorize me in various ways. So buying me stuff, I guess, was his way of just trying to balance things out. So I had it pretty good for a long while.

He's the one who technically got me into video games in the first place, since he got the ColecoVision/Atari before I even knew what "video games" were, and seeing him play Frogger and Donkey Kong made me want to play them, and it all just grew from there. He didn't stick with games after the NES came out - controllers having TWO or more buttons instead of just one really blew his mind, it was "too complicated" now so he didn't play them ever again - but he always thought video games were awesome, he just admired them from a distance. Every time a new console would come out with better graphics he'd watch me play and just marvel and be amazed. When "WCW vs. The World" came out for PS1 he dragged his friends into my room to watch me play it because he just couldn't believe how "amazing" it was (which it totally was at the time; don't be misled when you look at it now since it's so "primitive", through a 1997 lens it was absolutely mind-blowing).

I remember the one time I did give something away - the ColecoVision/Atari and its games - it was to my older brother who lived across town. We'd just gotten the NES, and being a dumb little 6-year old I figured "I have new stuff, I won't want to play this old stuff anymore", and my Dad, I realize now, tried to talk me out of it, being all like "Are you SURE? You never know, you might want to play them again one day..." Turns out about two years later, that's exactly what happened. I loved my NES but I'd start to get antsy for some Frogger or Megamania or whatever. And then when I finally got a TV in my room, I wanted to play games in there before bed or whatever but I didn't want to hook the NES up to the little "crappy" TV since it was better on the big living room TV. So I decided I wanted the ColecoVision back to hook up to the TV in my room. Luckily for me, my brother never even bothered to unpack it after I'd given it to him, so he just gave it back. I never got rid of anything on purpose after that. Although a few years later, some asshole broke in while we were out and stole the f*cking thing, along with a few other things. But of ALL the sh* t they took that was the biggest hit. I still get pissed about that.

Even after I had the SNES, my Dad wasn't necessarily adverse to getting more things, depending on money of course. Shortly after that the Genesis was getting really popular, and he was hearing so much about it that one day he asked me if I wanted him to get that, too. And I said no, and I stand by it, even though it seems dumb in hindsight, but what I was doing was being considerate of our financial situation as well as looking at the SNES as more of a long-term investment. See, by that point we really weren't doing great anymore and things were getting tight. So since there was only so much money to go around, and I already had a SNES, I told him that I'd prefer he take the money it would cost to buy a Genesis and instead buy me some SNES games I didn't have. It seemed silly to buy another console and only own one or two games for them, when I could instead get another 4 or 5 games for the one I already owned, y'know? It's worth mentioning that renting wasn't an option for a while around this time, as our local Mom-N-Pop video store went under and all the other places in our area required a credit card, which my parents didn't have (believe it or not, back then not everybody had a credit card). I really did want a Genesis - like I said, I've never been a "console snob", I love all the different brands and consoles for their own reasons, always have - but having a clear understanding that there was only so much money to go around, it just seemed wiser to stick with the SNES. A few of my friends had the Genesis anyway, so it's not like I never got to play it, and that was another factor in my decision.

My Mom never gave a sh*t about games. She preferred I not play them, since she figured they gave me a bad temper (when in truth, having her get drunk and scream at me and throw things probably had a LOT more to do with that than video games did! ). And when she wanted to punish me she'd hide the plug cable to the NES or whatever. But when Dad got home he'd always put a stop to that sh*t REAL quick. "Don't be stupid, you can't take the kid's games away." I'd get punished otherwise for whatever it was, but even my Dad figured that taking my video games away was cruel and unusual.

Good times. Back before he went nuts. But yeah, before that he did his best, and it's really him I have to thank for video games being such a huge part of my life. I'm sad he's not around anymore because he'd be amazed at some of the stuff out now. Like I said, he never really played games after the Atari age, but for whatever reason he always thought they were really f*cking cool anyways. We had very little in common so it's great that we at least had that.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #23
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Looking at this thread it's interesting to see how the consumption of console gaming has changed. When I was a kid the Nintendo vs Sega marketing campaign meant I was exclusive to Nintendo for a long time (and I've certainly kept up that brand loyalty over time. It was a big deal for me when I persuaded my Grandparents to buy me the Multi Mega and that was because the catalogue were practically giving them away with a bunch of free games and it was late in both systems life cycles. At the time it felt huge to own two of the then current consoles but now it's fairly normal.
See, I can definitely understand that, especially as we were kids, but I always thought that was a silly way of thinking. Being overly-influenced by the marketing, I mean. Clearly the only reason NOT to have both was strictly about money - to our age group, specifically, it was about what Mommy and Daddy were willing to spend on video game stuff. But when I played SNES I thought, "This is really awesome," and then when I played a Genesis I thought "This, too, is also really awesome." I explained why I remained a "Nintendo Loyalist" during a specific period of time, but it wasn't anything tribal. I laughed at the "Console Wars".

Of course kids on the playground would pull the "Nintendo's better!" "Nuh-uh, Genesis is better!" horse sh*t, but I always no-sold it. It was such obvious sour grapes, it's not like these kids were making the spending decisions, maybe they were picking out their console of choice, but c'mon. Whenever kids would try and push the issue on me, I'd be like "Be real, you like Genesis best because that's what you have. But if 'Santa' or whoever just gave you an SNES, would you keep it or get rid of it? Be f*cking honest." The only SANE answer is "Of course I'd love to have everything", so if someone dug in their heels about which one was "the best" and how they'd never waste their time on the competing console(s), I knew I was talking to a complete idiot. ALL my Sega Friends still came over to my house to rock some Mario or Super Castlevania IV, they just didn't brag about it. And of course I went over to their houses to play Sonic and Streets of Rage or whatever.

Having a strict brand loyalty to specific video game consoles never made any sense to me, given how they all had such awesome exclusive stuff to play. Obviously kids are dumb, but when they'd get all "_______ is awesome and _____ is stupid", it really annoyed the crap out of me. Having a preference is one thing but back then kids really took that stuff too far for really dumb reasons.

I mean, I love Nintendo, but in hindsight, it's a real shame the Sega Master System was a complete failure in America. It was 100% about marketing and nothing else. It was a great console with a lot of great games, but you were "a dork" if you didn't have an NES, and Nintendo was leaning on retailers not to even stock the Master System at all, which was dirty pool but the NES was so popular everyone just caved in to their demands. But that wasn't fair or right. A great console that lots of kids would have loved to have was barely a blip on the radar over here for absolute nonsense reasons, and that makes me sad.

It seems like everyone's a lot more mature nowadays when it comes to the "brand loyalty" thing, but I really wouldn't know.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:46 PM   #24
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

My first console was a ps1 which my uncle got me as a gift when I was about 6 or 7 I think.

The ps1 lasted me a long time until about 2008ish, when it finally died and I got myself a Wii.

Unfortunately, the Wii was a Korean model which gets bricked rather easily, so I only got to enjoy the Wii for 1 year.

Then in 2011, I got a ps3 slim which still works perfectly to this day. I did briefly consider buying a Nintendo Switch for Smash Bros Ultimate, but with a busy schedule where even playing on the ps3 is a luxury, I don't think I'd have the time or attention span to dedicate my time to a Switch, however great the console may be.

And I don't know if its just me, but I never liked owning more than one console at a time. Maybe it was my upbringing, where my parents didn't allow me to have more than one system at a time, but I also fear getting the new console if the old one is still working since the latter would then end up collecting dust from not being used.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:00 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

I mean are you really so busy you can't play games? Most people have full time jobs and still have time to play videogames after.

I play about 5-6 hours of videogames a day but even with only 1-2 hours that's enough time to play whatever you want. I play about 50 new games a year in addition to replaying old games and I have time to finish everything, and some of these games go on for 50 hours of gameplay.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:19 PM   #26
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I mean are you really so busy you can't play games? Most people have full time jobs and still have time to play videogames after.

I play about 5-6 hours of videogames a day but even with only 1-2 hours that's enough time to play whatever you want. I play about 50 new games a year in addition to replaying old games and I have time to finish everything, and some of these games go on for 50 hours of gameplay.
I do take time out of my day to play games, but I feel that there is so much variety nowadays that I don't feel the need to get a new console.

In between Pc, Ps3 and Mobile Games, I am more than sufficiently entertained so getting a Switch would feel redundant to me.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #27
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

All of them except the Xbox.

F**k the Xbox.
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:32 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I do take time out of my day to play games, but I feel that there is so much variety nowadays that I don't feel the need to get a new console.

In between Pc, Ps3 and Mobile Games, I am more than sufficiently entertained so getting a Switch would feel redundant to me.
Don't you play Nintendo games? How do you do it?
Old 11-28-2020, 04:35 PM   #29
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Don't you play Nintendo games? How do you do it?
Emulators on phone and Pc.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #30
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
video games?

Exercise, full time job, house chores, live with significant other, new puppy, start-up, investments, post-grad. Games require too much time, at least I do when I play them, I don't get through too many hours for games a year.

Quote:

Be careful of the DMCA IP rights police in the drome.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:55 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Exercise, full time job, house chores, live with significant other, new puppy, start-up, investments, post-grad. Games require too much time, at least I do when I play them, I don't get through too many hours for games a year..
Even if I had to do all these things, I would still make time for games.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:16 PM   #32
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
There was LITERALLY an ongoing magazine called "PSX" back then, wasn't there? And I recall all the other mags of the time (EGM, etc.) all followed suit. Until one day everyone forgot about it.
Yes, there was a magazine with that name. The funny thing is that at some point, when the PS2 came out, people started to call the first PlayStation "PSOne" wich was actually the name of the second version. So we came from calling it with its codename to calling it with the name of its second model.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:09 PM   #33
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I have about everything on that poll except for the Sega Saturn and original X-Box.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:45 PM   #34
Wildcat
Foot Elite

NES, Genesis, PS, N64, Dreamcast, PS2 Slim (replaced first model), Xbox, GameCube, 360 S (replaced first model), Wii, PS3 Slim, WiiU, Switch.

Portable - Original GameBoy (traded it), Game Gear, GB Color, GBA, GBASP (sold it), DSLite.

Don’t regret getting rid of those since DS and GBA are backwards compatible. I wouldn’t mind getting another SP for the lit screen. I hardly play portables though.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:14 PM   #35
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

-NES (through grandparents)
-Original X-Box (through grandparents)
-PS2 (became mine in 2005 when sister moved out)
-Game Boy Advance
-Nintendo DS Lite
-Wii
-Gamecube
-Nintendo "New" 3DS
-X-Box 360
-Nintendo Switch

With the exception of the NES and X-Box being under my grandparents' home (likely going to ask to take), the rest are my own property. Of them, the only two I currently do not have that are listed are my 360, and I believe my Wii because of home.

Then again, I need to look through some old bags to find em. At the least, the PS2, both the DS and 3DS, GBA, and Switch are under my belt. That, and I have a few games from both the original PlayStation and Game Boy Color. Eventually, I'd like access to a Dreamcast, the original PlayStation itself, and Super Nintendo.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:04 PM   #36
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm so glad that my parents, or specifically my Dad, never pulled that "If you want ____ you have to get rid of ____" bullsh*t. Obviously I understood money and that you can't have everything, but my Dad always made it a point even when we didn't have a lot of money to try and spoil me as much as possible. I think because he worked a lot and he and my Mom fought all the time, and sometimes when he was at work she'd get drunk and terrorize me in various ways. So buying me stuff, I guess, was his way of just trying to balance things out. So I had it pretty good for a long while.
It was just like my mother to pull things like that anyway. She was wicked strict. She even made me once use money I got one Christmas to buy things for other people, which ticked me off back then since I didn't get a lot of money that year. The year after that, I got a lot more, and she still made me do the same thing. I bought three CDs with it, and I was going to get Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble, but I ended up not having enough left for that. So I just went and got it for my birthday the following year since I got enough money from my father that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
See, I can definitely understand that, especially as we were kids, but I always thought that was a silly way of thinking. Being overly-influenced by the marketing, I mean. Clearly the only reason NOT to have both was strictly about money - to our age group, specifically, it was about what Mommy and Daddy were willing to spend on video game stuff. But when I played SNES I thought, "This is really awesome," and then when I played a Genesis I thought "This, too, is also really awesome." I explained why I remained a "Nintendo Loyalist" during a specific period of time, but it wasn't anything tribal. I laughed at the "Console Wars".
I figured my mother would be one of those parents who'd just let me have one console. So I just went for the SNES after enjoying the NES for years. Maybe it's because I was probably on the "wrong side", but console wars were annoying back then. I had a friend who was the ULTIMATE Genesis fanboy, and tried to convince me so hard to get one when it was the SNES I was the most interested in. He could be pretty over the top with how he'd fanboy over the Genesis too. I think he even made up lies to convince me to get one, like telling me that there's this Genesis commercial with a kid saying that if you don't have Genesis, then you're a big big loser. I've never seen such a commercial, and others I've asked have told me they've never seen it either. Even if that commercial was a thing, no one should feel as though they're a loser for not having a Genesis. He'd end up getting an SNES though, because Street Fighter II came out for it. Then he had buyer's remorse when he found out that Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition would be coming out for the Genesis. Ironically, he got Street Fighter II Turbo for the SNES.

There was also this other Genesis fanboy who seemed to come off as though he thought he was better than me because he had a Genesis. He particularly bragged about how its sports games "overpower" those on the SNES. I didn't care much about sports games anyway, although NBA Jam was the only one I ever owned. I'd eventually give that up anyway.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

In the 80's and 90's videogames were considered strictly for kids and when you became a teen you were expected to outgrow it and never play games again.

It wasn't until the early 2000's when GTA III came out and Halo and then Call of Duty that it became more socially acceptable for teens and adults in their 20's to still play games. And of course that continued through the whole early 2000's to this very day.

I still remember the days when owning an N64 made you "kiddie" and you had people wondering why you were still playing games. Only my fellow 30+ year olds will remember this, but games were viewed very differently in the 80's and 90's than now.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:01 PM   #38
neatoman
Emperor

I know some armchair historians tend to look at the console war between the Genesis and Super Nintendo, then portray Sega and Nintendo as some sort of great titanic rivals... Looking at the actual sales data and not the commercial or the subjective experiences however... No they weren't. Not before during or after that particular console generation.

It was arguably pretty close in the United States, where the Genesis sold 18 million. That 18 million however accounts for roughly 60% of the worldwide sales. And the Super Nintendo sold better than the Mega Drive in every region, including the US.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:46 PM   #39
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
I just picked this thing up a few weeks back.

It can handle every home system made through the PSOne. I've been messing around with the arcade emulator on it and have been playing Shinobi and Ninja Gaiden (arcade).
I'm getting antsy to find the arcade ROM for Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom... LMAO!

I'm sure that there'd be some slow down on the more sophisticated PSOne games, but so far I've only really goofed with Crash Bandicoot. I'd say it's a perfect tool though for game systems maybe through the 16-bit generation and all arcade. It plays Dreamcast too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I know some armchair historians tend to look at the console war between the Genesis and Super Nintendo, then portray Sega and Nintendo as some sort of great titanic rivals... Looking at the actual sales data and not the commercial or the subjective experiences however... No they weren't. Not before during or after that particular console generation.

It was arguably pretty close in the United States, where the Genesis sold 18 million. That 18 million however accounts for roughly 60% of the worldwide sales. And the Super Nintendo sold better than the Mega Drive in every region, including the US.
This is some cool perspective on these numbers. I would've said that there was a Nintendo/Sega rivalry too, but that's the U.S. consumer perspective. Here there was a rivalry. Hell, Genesis did their "blast processing" thing so the SNES released the Road Runner game to show it could do the same thing, lol! Ridiculous....

Last edited by IMJ; 11-29-2020 at 05:03 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:56 PM   #40
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
In the 80's and 90's videogames were considered strictly for kids and when you became a teen you were expected to outgrow it and never play games again.

It wasn't until the early 2000's when GTA III came out and Halo and then Call of Duty that it became more socially acceptable for teens and adults in their 20's to still play games. And of course that continued through the whole early 2000's to this very day.

I still remember the days when owning an N64 made you "kiddie" and you had people wondering why you were still playing games. Only my fellow 30+ year olds will remember this, but games were viewed very differently in the 80's and 90's than now.
It's true. It was like that in Europe and USA (in Japan I guess it has always been acceptable for an adult to play videogames and being interested in anime and comics). The Playstation was probably the first console to be considered for a wider age range. Games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid and GTA changed a lot.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote