The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 02-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #1
Nelson
Stone Warrior

TMNT: Rescue Palooza

Hello, Technodrome friends. If you are like me and can't get enough of the clasic TMNT titles for the NES, you might be interested in a game I have been been working on. As the title of the thread implies, the game is called TMNT Rescue Palooza, where up to four players go to newly recolored stages from the classic games as well as a couple of new stages (like the Channel 6 building).

As you progress through the game you'll unlock characters from the Fred Wolf Cartoon like April, Splinter, Casey, etc. The list of unlockable characters is quite long so this project will take quite a bit of time to be completed.

The gameplay mimics the one from the NES games so it's basic, please don't expect fancy combos or elements from TMNT in Time or the like.

You can download a demo at http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/tee...palooza/39658/
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:14 AM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

My goodness, Nelson!

You win the internet for today! Howvlong have you been working on this and why have I just now learned of it?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

Such attention to detail! Truly a labor of love, from the Tournament Fighters (SNES) health & special gauges, to the Playmates cardback themed character selection screen. The spritework is awesome, both the backgrounds & avatar/cutscene art look beautiful. Your creativity with respect to April's fighting style is on point, whoa! The microphone whip concept is freakin' stellar & I love the camera flash special attack, too. I cannot wait to see what else you have in store for us. I hope this thing gets as much of your attention as real life permits!

If there's anything I can help with (like, say, remixes of the NES songs to go along with your updated visuals) I'd love to be a part of it.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:03 PM   #4
Ninjinister
無問題

I think it's super neat! Makes me wish I'd stuck with my fangame.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Usagi's totally a playable character...

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Such attention to detail! Truly a labor of love, from the Tournament Fighters (SNES) health & special gauges, to the Playmates cardback themed character selection screen. The spritework is awesome, both the backgrounds & avatar/cutscene art look beautiful. Your creativity with respect to April's fighting style is on point, whoa! The microphone whip concept is freakin' stellar & I love the camera flash special attack, too. I cannot wait to see what else you have in store for us. I hope this thing gets as much of your attention as real life permits!
Indeed! Who would have thought the Castlevania franchise would make the perfect base for April O'Neil beat em' up sprites? Considering both games were Konami's doing, it really makes for a perfect amalgamation! The microphone and camera flash attacks are something that would have totally happened in the bit-era of games. Speaking of the sprite-work, they are beautifully done and are very convincing 16-bit upgrades in the same vein as Super Mario All-Stars or Ninja Gaiden Trilogy.

I think Nelson has truly pulled off something amazing here by turning vintage reporter April into an amusing and competent character in the old games. Since the original TMNT2 NES game featured a regular weak standing attack and the 2-button strong attack as a reward for good timing, should we expect any equivalent for April? I noticed it seems to take her about three whips to take out an average Foot Soldier instead of two weak attacks. I'm curious to see if her exceptional attack range will compensate for her lower attack power (and no diagonal jump kicks, I assume) when it comes to the level bosses who presumably have equally long attack ranges (Rocksteady's quick kick was so frustrating to me back in the day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I think it's super neat! Makes me wish I'd stuck with my fangame.
So do I!

Say... what's the status of TMNT: Deliverance Reshelled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Oh, man... I am curious as to whether they'll be a forth playable character. I don't know who would be the next logical choice after Casey, Splinter, and April.

View my sketch work!
Old 02-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Aw, dang, I thought you were joking until I saw the screenshot on Nelson's download site!

View my sketch work!
Old 04-28-2015, 10:06 PM   #8
TMNT-Leonardo
Hench Mutant

The demo is very good. Captures the feel and gameplay of the NES game very well. The voice samples from the cartoon are nice touch, though I it's hard to hear them sometimes. A few things I'd suggest are moving the titles for "Game Mode" and such up because it blocks the text when you're selecting an option.

Small thing but I think the black bar showing the health and continues takes a little bit too much of the screen. The gameplay area looks kind of squished becuase of it. It still looks great, I just think it would look better if you had more of the game area showing. That being said, I kind of miss the little bar pegs that show the health .
Old 05-05-2015, 09:29 AM   #9
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT-Leonardo View Post
Small thing but I think the black bar showing the health and continues takes a little bit too much of the screen. The gameplay area looks kind of squished becuase of it. It still looks great, I just think it would look better if you had more of the game area showing. That being said, I kind of miss the little bar pegs that show the health .
Thank you for the observation. The black bar has the same size as in the NES games. If I were to remove I would have to draw that area into the existing levels. I guess I could give it a try at some point.

----

In other news, Mona Lisa is done except for ther audio samples.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Thank you for the observation. The black bar has the same size as in the NES games. If I were to remove I would have to draw that area into the existing levels. I guess I could give it a try at some point.

----

In other news, Mona Lisa is done except for ther audio samples.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/a...20-%200198.png

View my sketch work!
Old 05-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #11
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Man...this is gettin' good.

*wonders what the odds of Punk Frogs are. Heck, someone should try and make an Adjective Adjective Punk Frogs game.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #12
Nelson
Stone Warrior

"Adjective Adjective Punk Frogs" sounds good to me!

Also The Punk Frogs are 100% in this game. So far I only have the idle sprite of one of them, though.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #13
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I don't know if this question has been asked, so I'm gonna ask anyway. Will all of the OT villains also be playable characters? So far I've only seen Groundchuck as a playable (?) villain.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #14
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
I don't know if this question has been asked, so I'm gonna ask anyway. Will all of the OT villains also be playable characters? So far I've only seen Groundchuck as a playable (?) villain.
Well, not ALL of the villains from the OT are present. But you'll be able to play as the bosses of the game after you defeat them.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #15
Tora
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Hello, Technodrome friends. If you are like me and can't get enough of the clasic TMNT titles for the NES, you might be interested in a game I have been been working on. As the title of the thread implies, the game is called TMNT Rescue Palooza, where up to four players go to newly recolored stages from the classic games as well as a couple of new stages (like the Channel 6 building).

As you progress through the game you'll unlock characters from the Fred Wolf Cartoon like April, Splinter, Casey, etc. The list of unlockable characters is quite long so this project will take quite a bit of time to be completed.

The gameplay mimics the one from the NES games so it's basic, please don't expect fancy combos or elements from TMNT in Time or the like.

You can download a demo at http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/tee...palooza/39658/
This is awesome! Nice to see Tora getting some love
Tora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:29 PM   #16
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

TMNT Rescue Palooza

https://www.merso-x.com/teenage-muta..._QZnsl96G262vM

Tomorrow the full version of this game hits. Can't wait. The demos have rocked.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #17
Browne762
Foot Soldier

Available now. I wish it was something I could run in RetroPi so I could use my arcade control panel.
Browne762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #18
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browne762 View Post
Available now. I wish it was something I could run in RetroPi so I could use my arcade control panel.
Could this info help?
https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/OpenBOR
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/...tropie-with-es

Nelson/MersoX packed all the essential OpenBOR files necessary to play RescuePalooza, so I don't know if that makes it harder or easier to get the game running on RP, as I've never owned one.

View my sketch work!
Old 06-17-2019, 07:29 AM   #19
Browne762
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Could this info help?
https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/OpenBOR
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/...tropie-with-es

Nelson/MersoX packed all the essential OpenBOR files necessary to play RescuePalooza, so I don't know if that makes it harder or easier to get the game running on RP, as I've never owned one.
Unfortunately, I don't know. I pretty much just know how to add ROMs of games to whichever emulator they go to.

I might try to add Rescue Palooza to an old laptop and connect it to my arcade control panel. My arcade controls are all USB so if there is a way to adjust control inputs within the game, that I would just select the joystick/buttons I want to use. (I have not downloaded Rescue Palooza yet so I don't know what the control situation is like)
Browne762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:42 AM   #20
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Are the four Turtles the only characters who can do a jump+attack move?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Nelson went with Rondo (in New York) as a Ray Fillet equivalent. Voice actor Dan Gilvezan (who also did Brick Bradley/Bugman for the TMNT show).
Exactly!

Play! * Follow! * Support!

Tags
fan game, remix