The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 04-23-2021, 06:52 PM   #4041
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
No idea. Maybe it has something to do with specific delivery address?
My screen:
Ouchie, my wallet felt that one.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:34 PM   #4042
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
They look great but with that price increase we're looking at a $23 price hike once shipping is factored in. Assuming this will be the standard $52.99 in store... I might just wait. Worst case, $75 with free shipping on ebay after the fact seems pretty doable.
MSRP will be going up so expect it more expensive at retail too.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:05 AM   #4043
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
MSRP will be going up so expect it more expensive at retail too.
You think so? I was wondering if it was an edict by Target for NECA undercutting them online.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 12:10 PM   #4044
stcardinal
Foot Soldier

For those not happy with the $14.99 S&H, you can try to hold off ordering until next Friday in hopes that NECA reveals movie April and puts her up for pre-ordering.
stcardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:11 PM   #4045
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcardinal View Post
For those not happy with the $14.99 S&H, you can try to hold off ordering until next Friday in hopes that NECA reveals movie April and puts her up for pre-ordering.
Thanks for this.

Btw guys, mad hatter got the disguise turtles.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:30 PM   #4046
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
You think so? I was wondering if it was an edict by Target for NECA undercutting them online.
They charged the same MSRP that target did for all the packs. I meant that this will be the new MSRP for 2 packs and so on going for forward. Prices won't be going down but they will be going up across the board, for all toylines.

We have already seen it for Hasbro w Marvel legends, Super7 on their lines, etc.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:26 PM   #4047
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
They charged the same MSRP that target did for all the packs. I meant that this will be the new MSRP for 2 packs and so on going for forward. Prices won't be going down but they will be going up across the board, for all toylines.

We have already seen it for Hasbro w Marvel legends, Super7 on their lines, etc.
Yeah that is true...

You know, action figures have become almost exclusively a boutique hobby. Just like trading cards. It's ridiculous and shows an industry that can't branch out anymore and is focused almost purely on absorbing resources from it's remaining user base.

Full disclosure - I have a significant action figure collection - and I mean private, not inventory. With that said, this was a hobby that people got into because it was a cheap labor of love in the accumulation of things that represent what we enjoy. It's not supposed to be something where we celebrate dropping 25 bucks on a new action figure. The new Super 7 TMNT 3 3/4" line looks like dollar store toys of old (obviously by intentional design, but that's not the point) and they want 15 bucks a figure.

We walk into a store and thank a NECA rep for handing us a TMNT box as if he did us a favor, and then we walk to the front and pay for it, so we thank NECA and beg for reasons to buy from them, thank their shelf stocker like he did us a favor and proceed to pay the store after that. We thank Hasbro for their 500th Wolverine because the new one has an "articulated neck" or "They fixed the eyes!"

The truth is that the hobby is a disaster being supported by buyer addiction rather than buyer reason.

Last edited by IMJ; 04-25-2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:52 PM   #4048
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, some idiot on the He-Man board literally just called me a loser on a thread about Super7 TMNT, merely for me suggesting that a single action figure shouldn't cost as much as someone's phone bill.

I love toys. But it's just f*cking plastic. These companies know that they have hardcore fans by the balls ("Think you're ever gonna see this kinda thing at mass-market retail? HAH! Go beg Playmates, maybe they'll sell you some more repainted garbage! Be grateful you get anything, losers!") and so they gouge us. It isn't right, and it's not sustainable.

People are talking about how in two years these things are gonna be $100 per single figure as a standard rule and it's just an "Oh Well" kinda situation. Ridiculous.

Toys should not be the exclusive hobby of doctors and lawyers, I'm sorry. I'm as much of a "bootstraps" guy as anyone but this sh*t is already ridiculous and getting worse.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:02 PM   #4049
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:

The truth is that the hobby is a disaster being supported by buyer addiction rather than buyer reason.
I don't buy stuff I don't like/want (unless I plant to sell it). It's great, you should try it.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:04 PM   #4050
Leo656
The Franchise

Jesus, why the f*uck are ToyBoys always so goddamn snarky?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:10 PM   #4051
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Jesus, why the f*uck are ToyBoys always so goddamn snarky?
It's only like that in certain fandoms, man. LOL! Some of them just have that nerd thing - like picked on in high school, never got over it, and has to include that little challenge in all things. Sociopath $#!(.

Like I said in.... you know.... - Napolean Dynamites, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I don't buy stuff I don't like/want (unless I plant to sell it). It's great, you should try it.

-ahem- Sorry man, I don't want to have to confront your ninja skills..... or your gardening skills for that matter.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:14 PM   #4052
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
How do you know if you'd like it before buying it?
Old 04-25-2021, 10:21 PM   #4053
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
How do you know if you'd like it before buying it?
It's his gardening skills from planting those toys for sale. He knows how things will turnip... err turn up! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG!
Old 04-26-2021, 12:46 AM   #4054
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

Quote:
It's his gardening skills from planting those toys for sale. He knows how things will turnip... err turn up! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG!
Damn it man, you laughed at your own joke, thus ruining a great joke. You had me at turnip but then lost me. So close.
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:40 AM   #4055
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Yep, that and scalpers (which are then supported by buyer addiction).

These price hikes are happening at the perfect time for me. I've been nearing the point of being overwhelmed for awhile now and the extra costs associated are making it much easier to just pass. NECA toon, Super7 TMNT, Star Wars Black Series, GI Joe Classified... I'll still be buying figures from each but I think I'm done stressing over missing out. It's just dumb, especially when I've still got figures I haven't even opened yet.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:53 AM   #4056
coreyrc87
Hench Mutant

Are we sure, though, that 2-packs going forward will be higher, and it's not just a hike on these two because they're bigger or something? I very well could've missed it, but I don't recall seeing any kind of announcement from NECA or the higher price being on any other two packs yet...?
Old 04-26-2021, 11:16 AM   #4057
AquaParade
Banned

Honestly, I have to thank the crappy distribution. These things would be such easy "impulse buys" for me, at a fair price. I'd have half the collection laying around on shelves, in storage, and I would have handed off a couple to my nephews already. Don't get me wrong - the toys are great. I just don't know if I'm the one who needs them.

Right now, Neca's distribution and sclapers are the only thing saving me $150 on a box of toys I'll decidedly run out of room for in about a year.
I bought a TMNT "Hot Wheels" party van at Safeway this morning for one dollar and I'm starting to think that will be my version of the disguise set.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #4058
j3h
Hench Mutant

Do we have a barcode or dcpi # for the Frog set yet? Going hunting later today
j3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:03 PM   #4059
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyrc87 View Post
Are we sure, though, that 2-packs going forward will be higher, and it's not just a hike on these two because they're bigger or something? I very well could've missed it, but I don't recall seeing any kind of announcement from NECA or the higher price being on any other two packs yet...?
On the one hand, someone asked Randy if NECA's ultimates would be going up in price after Brian Flynn indicated that toy prices would be rising across the board for all manufacturers and he said something to the effect of "not at this time."

On the other hand, when the Antrax and Scumbug set went up, a lot of people asked if this was the price point going forward or just for this set, and he hasn't responded yet. Even then, I feel like if this was the new price point, he'd just say so, so maybe there is something with their agreement with Target affecting this price point. Seems odd that it wouldn't have impacted the Ace/Mutagen Man set, though.

Tangentially, I don't know how long their current agreement with Target runs, and I know Randy has said they wouldn't see the numbers they're seeing without being able to offer them as "impulse buys" in a store, but I hope whenever it comes time to renew this agreement, they're able to offer everything as a pre-order, even if we do have to wait "x" months until after Target's had a crack at them.

Last edited by Y2Josh; 04-27-2021 at 08:20 AM.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:16 PM   #4060
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Ronin View Post
Damn it man, you laughed at your own joke, thus ruining a great joke. You had me at turnip but then lost me. So close.
I'm sorry man! But yeah honestly the way that whole thing unfolded yeah I was cracking up.....

Dude! HAHAHAH "You laughed at your own joke!" hahahha that was hysterical too! And you're right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
It's just dumb, especially when I've still got figures I haven't even opened yet.
I do too. I did some display case rotation where I took an Iron Man armory out of a Blazon Display and put some NECA TMNT in it without overloading it. Later on today I'm going to swap my Iron Man 27x40 DS movie poster for a the TMNT 2007 27x40 DS movie poster and get some visibility out of TMNT for a while.

But without cramming it all in there I've got unopened NECA as well. Better to do it by design and clean than cramming this stuff into a book case or something like a hoard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
Tangentially, I don't know how long their current agreement with Target runs, and I know Randy has said they wouldn't see the numbers they're seeing without being able to offer them as "impulse buys" in a store, but I hope whenever it comes time to renew this agreement, they're able to offer everything as a pre-order, even if we do have to wait "x" months until after Target's had a crack at them.
Which is crazy because if they offered these at mass retail rather than exclusives, they'd get the market penetration they were looking for, but also alleviate the distribution bottleneck and some of the scalping.

Last edited by IMJ; 04-26-2021 at 12:21 PM.