The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What score would you give TMNT:OOTS out of 10?
10 (EXCELLENT) 3 6.82%
9 (Amazing) 3 6.82%
8 (Great) 12 27.27%
7 (Good) 7 15.91%
6 (Average) 7 15.91%
5 (Mediocre) 8 18.18%
4 (Bad) 2 4.55%
3 (Really Bad) 0 0%
2 (Terrible) 2 4.55%
1 (ABYSMAL) 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

I must be in the minority because even though the camera isn't perfect I'm hesitant to call it a negative. Yes, you have to adjust it quite frequently, but I can't even count the number of good games I've played since 1996 where the camera was shaky. At least you CAN adjust it, whereas in some games you can't. Super Mario 64 is maybe the only 3D action game I've played where the camera was as smooth as I could hope for. No, I don't play every popular game so I can't speak in general, but this game's camera is no worse (or better) than a hundred other games I've played.

I've just kind of accepted "constantly fiddle with the camera" to be part of the package with modern 3D action games, just like "hit the Jump button 3 times and if you're lucky one of those presses will actually make you jump" was a common theme back in the 8-bit days.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #22
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I guess I never adapted. While you guys were learning how to play Mario 64 and doom I was playing the latest version of street fighter. Playing this game reminded me of playing left for dead with my gf. She was kicking ass while I was lost most of the time and fighting with the camera.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #23
Ninjinister
無問題

Yeah, I too, struggle with the camera in most games where there is one, because I play more fighting games than anything else ._.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #24
Powder
So tired of this place

I'm not well versed in these kinds of games either. I mostly play sidescrolling platformer games & stuff.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #25
Leo656
The Franchise

I guess I can see that, because I'm the opposite, I rarely play fighting games (more wrestling games than anything), and other than wrestling games I do play a ton of 3D action/platformers. Some games do it better than others, for sure. But it's just part of the package with those kind of games, having to flick the camera every few seconds. I don't even notice it anymore, even in games like Kingdom Hearts where it's pretty bad. The Sonic games have pretty bad camera problems, too. Ya get used to it. If there was a way to make it work perfectly someone would have done it by now, and made a fortune selling it to every other developer.

Honestly, this game's camera is entirely average compared to similar games I've played. But I can see how if someone doesn't play these games a lot it might seem worse. That's one of those things that I just gave up on years ago, a game's camera. I can't imagine how hard it must be to design a 3D action game and be able to make the camera work. Maybe that's why I care less, I'm just glad it's not MY job to do it!

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #26
Tazi
Mad Scientist

The biggest problem with the camera is the fact that how close it is the player character. Sure, the 3d models look awesome, but I'd rather see some of the surroundings too, when try to navigate, not just a detailed turtleshell made out of poligons.
I had pretty awful bugs coming out right at the beginning. Stucking in the wall, never disappearing message boxes, and a message box I can't skip in any way, freezing the game.
I'm not even finished the first level yet, thanks to that.

And I'll be honest, I torrented it, because I wanted to see, what I'd get for my money (having no demos these days, sucks hard). Since then, I deleted it, but I'm not really sure if I even wanna buy it, especially how many better games are there for 15 euro. (tho I'll probably ending up buying it, because it's still an awesome fanservice, and the gameplay was kinda fun, when it worked)

Oh and seriously, **** the eur15 price, it's not the same as $15 or GBP 10, it's about 15% more.

Last edited by Tazi; 08-30-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Tazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #27
Sanjuro
Stone Warrior

I gave it a solid 2.

This game is a perfect example of worst case scenarios coming true. Utterly a mess. Either rushed or didn't care that the game is largely broken and unpolished.
Sanjuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #28
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
I gave it a solid 2.

This game is a perfect example of worst case scenarios coming true. Utterly a mess. Either rushed or didn't care that the game is largely broken and unpolished.
Oh wow, that was a very well thought out review. I can understand your point of view because of all the problems you mentioned....

Seriously, the only thing worse than people destroying the game is people that have no reason to do so!

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #29
Sanjuro
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTMNT2012 View Post
Oh wow, that was a very well thought out review. I can understand your point of view because of all the problems you mentioned....

Seriously, the only thing worse than people destroying the game is people that have no reason to do so!
There are plenty of reasons...most of which have been mentioned already.

- Games art style is atrocious, needlessly dark.
- No sense of direction or goals.
- Silly unlocking game which is broken during co-op.
- Awful netcode. Nearly impossible to get a stable and consistent online multiplayer game.
- Lack of polish. Have fallen through the level, objects, stuck in spots in the first level alone.
- Combat is broken and not fluid whatsoever.
- Voice acting is terrible.
- Story is told using Sonic the Hedgehog fan-fiction artists.

Can keep going on...
Old 08-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #30
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:

Why the hell are you so defensive over this? You're like someone is insulting your mother.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

There have been plenty of bad 3D Turtle games. Nearly everything made from 2003 till now.

The only good games made were the GBA titles of TMNT 1 and 2, 3 was for DS, and the 2007 movie game for GBA.

Turtles only works in 2D.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #32
Sanjuro
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
There have been plenty of bad 3D Turtle games. Nearly everything made from 2003 till now.

The only good games made were the GBA titles of TMNT 1 and 2, 3 was for DS, and the 2007 movie game for GBA.

Turtles only works in 2D.
I don't agree with the "only works in 2D", but there have been plenty of bad games. What stands out about this one is the general lack of effort put into the actual release, where most of the others were simply bad games or just didn't work.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #33
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
- Story is told using Sonic the Hedgehog fan-fiction artists.
Hahahaha! That one got me.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #34
Raphael232
Thug

well this sucks, ill wait for some reviews for sites like IGN and Gamespot before Im sure to buy it.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #35
Tazi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael232 View Post
well this sucks, ill wait for some reviews for sites like IGN and Gamespot before Im sure to buy it.
I don't think those are credible sources of reviews...

This one much better, you can view overall combined score after media reviews, and fan reviews too:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...of-the-shadows
(the site is kinda rotten tomatoes, but for video games)

Btw, I don't know what's the problem with the graphics, I think it's the best part of the game other than the music. It's dark as it should be, but has colors, instead of grey or brown, like lot of those boring ass AAA games. It looks awesome! And honestly, the only "problem" with the turtles' look are the nostrils, and it's only disturbing, because they don't have them since 25 years, yet it's about a hundred percent reasonable to have them. My favourite argument against them is the "bad designs, they look like lizards now!". Oh god, please... turtles are goddamn lizards!

Last edited by Tazi; 08-31-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Tazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #36
Allio
Foot Elite

meh...I'll play the game and form my own opinion on it

after all, no one knows what I like more than me, right?
Old 08-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #37
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael232 View Post
Just wait for BlackNerd's review. He's earned his TMNT cred and can actually enjoy a good game when he sees one and give a honest review unlike some people....

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #38
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Hahaha, oh my God. "TMNT cred". Amazing.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #39
Sanjuro
Stone Warrior

I'll take your "TMNT cred" and throw it into the river...well...the part where I can throw things in.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #40
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Just wait for BlackNerd's review. He's earned his TMNT cred and can actually enjoy a good game when he sees one and give a honest review unlike some people....
Wait wait wait wait....

Are you seriously implying that the people that had problems with or didn't like the game aren't being honest? That they're just lying about their experiences?

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, nick, tmnt, video games