The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 12-03-2021, 02:03 PM   #21
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
It's just that, the world is already worsening with the existence of the modern internet.

Web 2.0 started off with a promise: a commitment to a superior method of communication and education that would eventually go on to aid the general public. Then, that oath quickly went out the proverbial window, so to speak. Our path was misdirected with the creation of social media, video building, and virtual celebrities ( real and artificial ).

With the Web 3.0 being rumored to be a "metaverse", I fear that the future of our society will become bleak. Imagine modern social media and modern real-life phenomena combining into one. That's a harrowing vision, at least to me.

The internet was truly the harbinger of our societal woes. I truly ponder if that was an inevitability, however.
I agree somewhat that Internet amplified negative qualities of humans, who were not prepared for its benefits. It is especially evident in case of social networks and Twatter.

However, Internet is just a tool - like a gun it could be used for both good and bad. Since I believe in better future and humanity as a whole, I think, harm done by its existence will be outweighed (if not already) by its benefits. Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
The internet isn't the problem. The online conflicts are not born of the internet, and not even born of opinions. But instead born of emotionally-corrupt, low-information behavior that leads to people digging in on their mental algebra which is enhanced greatly by low Emotional Quotient. The internet, the metaverse, crypto, NFT's are not the problem. The fact that every level of society has access to these things indicates that the problem-people are the problem, as usual.
I would say that Internet definitely is a become problem, because, it provides people with readily created opinions and reports and for some people completely replaces normal society and families, essentially creating "informational bubbles", which function like mini-cults, which in turn make people even more zealous and radical.

So, yes, while Internet itself is not a source of conflicts, it had amplified them and provided a lot of people who should not had voice with opportunity to scream at others.

Last edited by Sumac; 12-03-2021 at 02:12 PM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:11 PM   #22
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I would say that Internet definitely is a become problem, because, it provides people with readily created opinions and reports and for some people completely replaces normal society and families, essentially creating "informational bubbles", which function like mini-cults, which in turn make people even more zealous and radical.

So, yes, while Internet itself is not a source of conflicts, it had amplified them and provided a lot of people who should not had voice with opportunity to scream at others.
This is pretty interesting.

What do you mean by readily created opinions and reports? Also, we might be more on the same page with that than I know at the moment, but if we are, doesn't that then also imply that the problem is still the people cultivating the "readily created opinions and reports" and not the internet?

And that last sentence you wrote there? 100% agreed, but again even that outlines only what I was saying earlier - that the internet gave those people a louder voice and more consistent presence. But again, even then they were that way anyway - they are the problem, not the "internet".

I mean hell, by that logic you could give a group of assholes a bunch of megaphones to scream through at some rally somewhere and be blaming the electronic megaphone rather than the asshole people, right?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote