The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 01-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
Allio
Foot Elite

Censorship in Videogames

so with the controversy of the censorship in the game Monster Monpiece...I want to ask, where do you stand on censorship?

I for one find it idiotic and I don't think games should be censored at all, it takes away from the full experience of the game...why take less when you can have it all?

Last edited by Allio; 01-29-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

I have no idea what game this is in reference too, but I'm entirely against censorship of any kind. Literally everything is offensive to someone, so who gets to set the criteria on what is and isn't "allowed" in games, movies, books, music, or society in general?

People have shown they can police themselves just fine. There's no reason why anything should be censored, ever. People all know things like breasts and swear words exist. Putting them into a game, book or movie doesn't automatically make it better, but it's silly to pretend an audience isn't there for it. Denying people what they want just because some people don't like it is silly in these supposedly more sophisticated times.

Let people who like Product A partake in it, and let others pick Product B if Product A offends them. A society that claims to support freedom of expression and freedom of choice has no business with censorship in any form.

Again, though, what game is this and what's the controversy?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
Peanut
Second Gear

Are you f*cking kidding? Controversy? To who? People who should be locked up? It's a card game that involves anime girls stripping to level up.

Are you telling me the censored cards AREN'T going to end up being the ones that look like children? If you have any issue with the censorship of sexually charged depictions of prepubescent children; you're a human piece of sh*t.

This is about as controversial as the Bravely Default costume changes. It matters to no one except disgusting, lonely, pathetic nerds.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:31 PM   #4
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

If the censorship comes over stuff that is completely creepy and awful I'm cool with it.

Bravely Default being the current example. Sexing up 15 year olds ain't no good.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:38 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

That is pretty bizarre. Doesn't sound like something that the general public would ask for at all. Stuff like that should have its own niche marketplace to cater to its niche audience. Just because there is technically a market for anything doesn't mean all things should be available or marketed in the same place. Things can be available to those who do want them, but kept where they belong.

I'm always surprised and forced to shake my head at some of the types of games that are out there, but since I'll never encounter them I care less that they exist. People are gonna do what they want; some things should definitely be kept to oneself. I can't imagine anyone going to a store and actively asking for this kind of thing.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #6
Peanut
Second Gear

You honestly think this kind of sh*t should be "available to those who do want them" as long as it's kept where it "belongs"? You can't stop pedos from being into kids, so just make sure it's a niche market, out of the way of other stuff? Really? Or...you know...maybe not have a market for weird games that sexualize children? Maybe stomp it out completely?

As far as I'm concerned anyone who complains about this sh*t should be put on a watch list.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:16 PM   #7
Leo656
The Franchise

People are going to do whatever they want, even if it's immoral or even illegal. Telling them it's unethical doesn't seem to stop them, since they apparently do it anyway. Compartmentalizing is different from censorship, though. As long as people keep their sh*t away from me so I can at least pretend it isn't there, I don't have to pay attention to it. Lots of things exist in the world that technically shouldn't. It's a bummer, but telling people "you can't/shouldn't" apparently doesn't work. Be nice if it did. The whole world would be a better place, and things would be so much easier.

But it definitely wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on the people on both the "supply" and "demand" side, in cases like this. If for no other reason than to make sure they never run for office or anything.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:42 AM   #8
Ninjinister
無問題

" Censorship in video game "

Just the one?

Also why did you start this topic without elaborating on what this thing's all about. I've never heard of Monster Monpiece and I'm pretty sure a lot of others haven't either.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:50 AM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah I misread the title and thought it was about censorship in video games in general. I never heard of whatever game we're talking about.

"Ick Factor" or no, if the content doesn't actively break any laws there's literally nothing anyone can do about it. People obviously willed it into existence; all anyone who's against it can do is stay away from it. Something like this seems so niche and obscure, anyway.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:45 AM   #10
Allio
Foot Elite

You know the thing is, Idea factory knows that this game has a very niche market over here in america; and they know this censorship will kill the sells of their intended audience...but with such a niche company as theirs, they don't want to take risks...at this point they are probably hoping to break even.

My one gripe is, if you are going to cut something out, why not make it worth our time

take Tatsunoko vs Capcom...they cut out one character to an already semi small roster...but they gave us 5 characters in it's place in the states

So why not give us something in return, we can't have 40 cards? okay, fine, do that, but give us new card art in return

take for example some of the card art wasn't censored because they looked like children, it was just the art was too extreme...alright fine, just commission some new art that is sexy, but not to the extreme

Children too young lookin? fine, cut those out...heck even better idea, give us some "Moe" images of those girls...That vampire girl wearing too little of clothing...fine replace it with a image of said vampire girl in a yukata smiling at the character all "Onii~chan" (though it would be Onee~chan as you are playing as a girl) you see her teeth with a little "gleem" on her fang - I'd buy the game in a heart beat if the game had "My little moster-sister can't be this cute" art work

basically the issue to me in the end this is like day 1 dlc to a game that should be in the game, but without the dlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post

Just the one?

Also why did you start this topic without elaborating on what this thing's all about. I've never heard of Monster Monpiece and I'm pretty sure a lot of others haven't either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah I misread the title and thought it was about censorship in video games in general. I never heard of whatever game we're talking about.

"Ick Factor" or no, if the content doesn't actively break any laws there's literally nothing anyone can do about it. People obviously willed it into existence; all anyone who's against it can do is stay away from it. Something like this seems so niche and obscure, anyway.

Ooops, meant to put an 's'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post

Just the one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Are you f*cking kidding? Controversy? To who? People who should be locked up? It's a card game that involves anime girls stripping to level up.

Are you telling me the censored cards AREN'T going to end up being the ones that look like children? If you have any issue with the censorship of sexually charged depictions of prepubescent children; you're a human piece of sh*t.

This is about as controversial as the Bravely Default costume changes. It matters to no one except disgusting, lonely, pathetic nerds.
You're exaggerating alot over non-existent creatures set in a fictional world

these characters are like furry girls like Renamon and Krystal

sure we may like it in a "We will never get our hands on them" in an illusion kind of way

but do you think most of those people are going to be into in the real world? Hell no, most of these people will be running away just like any sane person

I mean it is the same way as a person that kills in videogames

As for Bravely Default...They age up the character, but yet they still add clothing...why? it should be 1 or the other...but again, Nintendo has been weird about their censorship

Last edited by Allio; 01-29-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:13 AM   #11
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

I'm completely against censorship in video games, but no developer should ever cater to audience that wants to see sexualized underaged people.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:36 AM   #12
Memphis
Stone Warrior

I'm not a fan of censoring, but I do see why it's done. Bravely Default and Fire Emblem Awakening are good examples, with scenes with the girls in skimpy clothes. In Japan it's not seen as sexual. It's usually used to show innocence, whereas in America stuff like that is strictly sexual. I blame the prudes.

Looking for MOC Dino figures. PM me if you're selling! *Already have Ankyl Leo*
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:17 AM   #13
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

I blame Germany, because of them I cannot buy the European version of South Park: Stick of Truth. No one else should buy it either, total anti-support!

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote