The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 06-16-2021, 04:22 AM   #61
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Might never get finished, the remake underperformed and any second part will only sell less.
Dumb trolling is dumb.
Not only part 2 in active development, but SE confirmed whole slew of projects related to the FF7. So much for underperformed project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
A LOT of people don't want to play it in "chapters' with two-year breaks in between. They want to wait until it's complete and play the entire thing in one straight shot. Sure, that's gonna be like another 10 years at minimum but I understand why they'd rather just wait.

The delivery model for this game is stupid. "I get to play this awesome FF7 remake in little chunks, about 10% of the story at a time!" That's dumb. I understand that it's so "hi-def" and graphically polished that it takes that long just to make the damn game, but... maybe it shouldn't be. I don't think anyone would cry about it if it were less graphically impressive with the flipside being that they wouldn't need to take 2-to-5 years in between "chapters". By the time they get to the stuff that was Disc 3 of the original game, nobody's even still gonna care. People who were kids when Chapter 1 of the remake came out are gonna be married with kids by then.

It's like, a FF7 remake is something everybody's wanted for ages, and then when they finally do it, they do it the absolute dumbest way possible. It actually WOULDN'T shock me if they never get to even finish it. And then what are you left with?

Dumb.
It is impossible to create such big game in a reasonable timeframe.
You want FF7 with modern graphics and stuff? OK, see ya in 10-12 years.

Quote:
Yeah. A lot of people definitely were not expecting the "remake" to be... literally a completely new game with some of the same skeleton of the original. In fact, that pissed a lot of people off. A ton of my friends JUST wanted the same game they loved as teenagers, just with better graphics and some bonus features/extra content. They didn't want everything completely reworked from the ground up, that's overkill.

Points for effort, but literally nobody asked them to go ahead and do that. And I've always had a bad feeling that it would backfire on them.
If you want to play the same game as before, but with better graphics - there is already a remastered version of the OG FF7.

In general, SE always said it will be a remake with modern graphics and bells and whistles. People who expected "slightly better graphics, but everything else being the same" were dumb to expect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
sdp, lol. You visit ResetEra and you know that's not true.
RejectEra is like the worst place to get any impressions about success or failure of games. This place is a concentrated combination of boomers and SJW autism - they sometimes not aware of popular games and think that some hits were failures and vice versa.

And since they are boomers and fanboys, no different that their 4Chan counterparts, they are heavily biased towards some games.

Last edited by Sumac; 06-16-2021 at 04:34 AM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:25 AM   #62
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

And guaranteed when this is done, things will go straight away into a full-on FF VII-2.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:58 AM   #63
Leo656
The Franchise

By the time they get to the endgame content, we won't even need it. The world will actually BE a cyberpunk dystopia by then and we could all just as well simply go outside.

It's whatever, I'm sure it's fun and I'm sure it did well for them. I still think it's a massive overreach and they could have done just as well without such a monumental effort that's going to take them the next hundred years to complete, if they ever actually do. And I think if for whatever reason they end up abandoning the project before they get to the endgame content, they're gonna look stupid and everybody's gonna say, "See? Shouldn't have done it like that."

But then I'm an all-around "work smarter, not harder" kinda guy. Like seriously, I legit can't see this thing being "completed" before I'm 50. That's... irritating.

Not saying they should have gone and half-assed it or anything, but I'm reasonably certain that most people would have gladly settled for something much less ambitious than what this project has turned into. I'd love to know how much of this is from people actually ASKING Square/Enix to do it this specific way, and how much of it is SE just being themselves.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:12 AM   #64
Sumac
Banned

As long as it won't fizzle out like Metal Gear Solid or Castlevania series, I am OK with waiting for the series I like to continue.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:00 PM   #65
CyberCubed
Overlord

FF7 is a franchise in itself. The remake takes 50 hours to beat so it's not like they released a 10 hour game. It's most likely going to be a trilogy, so we'll get Part 2 in 2023, and then Part 3 around 2 years after. So it'll all be done during the PS5 generation which is reasonable.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:46 PM   #66
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2 is called "Rebirth." Comes out not this Winter, but NEXT Winter.

Ugh.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:40 PM   #67
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

FF 7 is my favorite game of all time, but I want nothing to do with the remake. They did so much wrong that I don't even want to list all of my criticisms. I hate seeing legacies get crapped on with bad or uncreative material. I wish they would have never revived it just like dragonball z with super. Sometimes dead is better.
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:25 AM   #68
neatoman
Emperor

So is the remake "trilogy" eventually going to be sold in on package, so to speak? Because if that's case I might want to wait... And get a bigger SSD if it's going to take up over 300 GB of data...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:48 AM   #69
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So is the remake "trilogy" eventually going to be sold in on package, so to speak? Because if that's case I might want to wait... And get a bigger SSD if it's going to take up over 300 GB of data...
Wait like 7 years for part 3 to be done? I guess you can if you want to.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:33 AM   #70
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I doubt it. It's basically 3 full games and it won't be done till 2026. So then wait till 2030 for a collection or so? lol
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 06:17 AM   #71
Leo656
The Franchise

I maintain that all they ever needed to do was take the original game, tighten up the graphics of the in-game a little bit and tack on some updated, "Advent Children"-style cutscenes complete with voice acting, and they'd sell the same amount of copies while doing 1000% less work (and spending 1000x less money).

Instead they're taking 15 years and spending a fortune just to break even. Glad it's not MY money. This is the dumbest "remake" project ever. Totally and needlessly overthought. Nobody outside of Square ever thought, "Boy, what if someone made FF7 like a 'modern' game? Better yet, what if it took over a decade to come out in its entirety?"

I keep forgetting this was even a thing. And I loved the original, so ostensibly I should be the "target audience" for this thing. But most all of my friends who played it hated it and say it misses the entire point, and I'll probably be dead by the time they get to the endgame section anyway. So I just can't be bothered to care.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:58 AM   #72
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
I maintain that all they ever needed to do was take the original game, tighten up the graphics of the in-game a little bit and tack on some updated, "Advent Children"-style cutscenes complete with voice acting, and they'd sell the same amount of copies while doing 1000% less work (and spending 1000x less money).
They are doing exactly that with Ever Crisis.
Also, if you want to play FF7 with better graphics you can always play one of the many remasters.

Quote:
Instead they're taking 15 years and spending a fortune just to break even. Glad it's not MY money. This is the dumbest "remake" project ever. Totally and needlessly overthought. Nobody outside of Square ever thought, "Boy, what if someone made FF7 like a 'modern' game? Better yet, what if it took over a decade to come out in its entirety?"
That is funny how in one conversation you hate nostalgia, but in this case you suddenly go: "Oh no, they suddenly made something new, something that doesn't rely on nostalgia! It SUCKS!!"
How about wee bit coherence?

Quote:
I keep forgetting this was even a thing. And I loved the original, so ostensibly I should be the "target audience" for this thing. But most all of my friends who played it hated it and say it misses the entire point, and I'll probably be dead by the time they get to the endgame section anyway. So I just can't be bothered to care.
I wonder what point does it miss, sine its only part 1 of the trilogy?
From what I've seen character personalities captured perfectly and even though I am not fun of JRPGs and Anime tropes, I must admit, even I was rather interested in it. Wasn't that the whole point of the game?
I mean, besides, some eco-terrorist ******** spiel about evil corporations, genocidal aliens and the like?
Old 06-21-2022, 11:07 AM   #73
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Pretty much. Maybe an extra dungeon or two. A more "fuller" ending.

Quote:
And it still won't deliver the same sort of experience. Like, will "Rebirth" even let you go back and revisit all of Midgar from "Remake"? I doubt it. It's linear, like a train car on a track with no reverse gears, the same kind of storytelling since FF X (start at one end of map, go to other end of map with only the illusion of exploration). That's not FF VII.

This is just more FF XV with FF VII skins. People don't want that. They want a game like the original FF VII and older FF games. Square just can't get the awful trajectory out of their heads about making things more like a movie that you barely steer which, ironically, started showing its face during the original FF VII ("ooh! we can do FMV movie sequences now!" and look what that led to).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
They are doing exactly that with Ever Crisis.
Also, if you want to play FF7 with better graphics you can always play one of the many remasters.
What remasters? Like the ones that don't improve the polygons or FMV sequences but bring everything into 1080p? That just makes things look much worse. The FF VIII Remaster is the worst... very hard to look at. Super sharp character models and like 240p backgrounds.

Quote:
That is funny how in one conversation you hate nostalgia, but in this case you suddenly go: "Oh no, they suddenly made something new, something that doesn't rely on nostalgia! It SUCKS!!"
But it does rely on nostalgia. That's the whole thing. Mostly it hangs it hat on everyone remembering Aerith getting killed by Sephiroth and this somehow undoing that for "OMIGOD!" value. Without the nostalgia for that it is meaningless.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-21-2022 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:46 AM   #74
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

I just know if they keep Aerith alive and kill off Tifa at the end of this 3 Part Remake, then I’m done with their FF games.

Ok probably not since I haven’t played a FF game after X-2 but it would be the dumbest thing ever if they kill off Tifa and keep Aerith alive. If they wanna keep Aerith alive then fine but don’t do it at Tifa’s expense just to please certain shippers.
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:04 PM   #75
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTFanatic4Life View Post
I just know if they keep Aerith alive and kill off Tifa at the end of this 3 Part Remake, then I’m done with their FF games.

Ok probably not since I haven’t played a FF game after X-2
I am sure SE would be sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
And it still won't deliver the same sort of experience.
What if the goal was NOT to deliver the same experience?
Have you thought about it? Besides, there is no to give the same experience with a game remade from scratch 30 years after release of the original. It would have been different. It MUST have been different. Otherwise, there is no point.

Quote:
This is just more FF XV with FF VII skins. People don't want that. They want a game like the original FF VII and older FF games. Square just can't get the awful trajectory out of their heads about making things more like a movie that you barely steer which, ironically, started showing its face during the original FF VII ("ooh! we can do FMV movie sequences now!" and look what that led to).
Final Fantasy 15 is the third best-selling game in the entire Final Fantasy franchise, so much for people "wanting old FFs".
LOL.

Quote:
But it does rely on nostalgia. That's the whole thing. Mostly it hangs it hat on everyone remembering Aerith getting killed by Sephiroth and this somehow undoing that for "OMIGOD!" value. Without the nostalgia for that it is meaningless.
The whole Remake project is based on nostalgia, while simultaneously spinning it in the new direction. Takes the best of the both worlds, really.

Last edited by Sumac; 06-21-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:13 PM   #76
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Final Fantasy 15 is the third best-selling game in the entire Final Fantasy franchise, so much for people "wanting old FFs".
LOL.
It was a failure. They didn't even finish putting out the DLC chapters they announced because the sales weren't there.

Quote:
Besides, there is no to give the same experience with a game remade from scratch 30 years after release of the original. It would have been different. It MUST have been different. Otherwise, there is no point.
Tell that to the Resident Evil 2 and 3 and upcoming 4 remakes. I guess there was no point to those at all.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:23 PM   #77
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:

It's not at all complicated. It's like this: People said they wanted to ride an old, creaky rollercoaster that needed some touch-ups and grease. And instead of just fixing up the rollercoaster like everyone wanted, Square-Enix decided to build an entirely new Disney-sized theme park from the ground up, at great expense. And it's such an elaborate project that not only is the original intent behind the project completely lost, but most everyone who asked for them to fix up the rollercoaster will no longer care or be dead by the time it's completed.

I mean there's nothing wrong with anyone liking what they're doing, but the fact remains, it's not what anyone actually asked them to do and if they'd just taken "the easy way" everyone would already have the game they originally asked for and Square-Enix would already be counting their millions.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:06 PM   #78
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Tell that to the Resident Evil 2 and 3 and upcoming 4 remakes. I guess there was no point to those at all.
Resident Evil 2 and 3 weren't exactly faithful remakes and Resident Evil 4 has already been described as a reimagining.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:09 PM   #79
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTFanatic4Life View Post

Ok probably not since I haven’t played a FF game after X-2 but it would be the dumbest thing ever if they kill off Tifa and keep Aerith alive. If they wanna keep Aerith alive then fine but don’t do it at Tifa’s expense just to please certain shippers.
Eh? When did they say they'd kill Tifa? This is the first time I've heard of this.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 02:16 PM   #80
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
It was a failure. They didn't even finish putting out the DLC chapters they announced because the sales weren't there.
One of the best selling-game in the franchise spanning almost 40 years is now a failure. OK, mate.
DLC cancelation most likely has something to do with SE inner politics, which is a known shitshow.

Quote:
RE3 Remake was considered to be pretty bad.
RE4 is yet to be released.
And neither is 1:1 recreation of original games.

Quote:
It's not at all complicated. It's like this: People said they wanted to ride an old, creaky rollercoaster that needed some touch-ups and grease. And instead of just fixing up the rollercoaster like everyone wanted, Square-Enix decided to build an entirely new Disney-sized theme park from the ground up, at great expense. And it's such an elaborate project that not only is the original intent behind the project completely lost, but most everyone who asked for them to fix up the rollercoaster will no longer care or be dead by the time it's completed.
I am not really sure, what do you mean as an "intent" in this case?
A story? A gameplay? A style?
Intent of FF7 was to create a good JRPG by standards of 1997. It is no longer 1997.

Quote:
I mean there's nothing wrong with anyone liking what they're doing, but the fact remains, it's not what anyone actually asked them to do and if they'd just taken "the easy way" everyone would already have the game they originally asked for and Square-Enix would already be counting their millions.
Once again, remaster is a thing.
And, imagine SE creators wanting to do something new, instead going the same path again. Once again, I am not a huge fan of JRPG and FF7, but I can respect them for a taking a risk.

Is this a justified risk? Who knows. Is it an interesting choice? Heck, yes.
Even, if project ends up as a failure, it is still would be pretty monumental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
Eh? When did they say they'd kill Tifa? This is the first time I've heard of this.
Nowhere.
Its just one of the hypothesis.

Last edited by Sumac; 06-21-2022 at 02:22 PM.