The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #81
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post

What of course we forget is that TMNT has always been around in some form or another. I think only from around 1999-2001 nothing new with TMNT was done.
Yes, but without the Internet or broadband, it wasn't esay to get that knowledge.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:24 AM   #82
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
From around 1993-1994 until late 2003, I used to believe the franchise was dead. Pre-broadband days were so different...
By the time I first got exposed to the property it was already dead or close to it. I recall watching Turtle Tracks in 1996 or 1997. It was the firs time cable tv began airing FW series reruns. Then they stopped for a bit until like 2002-2004 when they were airing reruns again on a regular basis.

It was hard becoming a big TMNT fan when there were no toys around anymore and it was something seen as a dead property. I remember my mum finding it amusing at the time that a kid like me was into TMNT, something that was from the previous generation to mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I only started to believe the franchise was dead around 2001. It was a great surprise to find out in late 2002 that a new cartoon would be coming out in 2003.
Same. I almost jumped out of my chair in joy when I first read that. I was afraid it wouldn't last more than a couple of seasons, however.

Quote:
The TMNT faded away from popularity in Sweden by mid-1993, and it didn't take many years until the franchise was gone, to return years later with the upcoming incarnations.
My older brother told me many years ago that TMNT was big here in 1990-1991, but by 1992 no one he knew cared about them anymore. FW series did not air here until 1990, though. In fact, we got the TMNT movie first, I think.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #83
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
In fact, we got the TMNT movie first, I think.
It hit Sweden on 7 December 1990, and Portugal on 21 December the same year

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100758...ref_=tt_ov_inf
Old 03-21-2019, 01:18 PM   #84
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
It hit Sweden on 7 December 1990, and Portugal on 21 December the same year

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100758...ref_=tt_ov_inf
I would have been slightly over a month old at the time only.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:33 PM   #85
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
I would have been slightly over a month old at the time only.
If you had lived in the UK near the end of the 90s the BBC was showing repeats early in the mornings. What channel did they show TMNT in Portugal? Was it SIC?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:50 PM   #86
Chet
Thug

I guess part of the fade was the changing of one generation of kids to the next (you're a kid for about 10 years). One thing I always felt was a major contribution was the direction the films took with the second and especially the third. With how huge a smash the first film was, to then see how little effort and care, comparatively, was put into the planning for the next two films... that was really disheartening.
Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:10 AM   #87
Overlord

Portugal

Quote:
If you had lived in the UK near the end of the 90s the BBC was showing repeats early in the mornings. What channel did they show TMNT in Portugal? Was it SIC?
Under Emissora de televisão original in the infobox

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_Tar...esenho_de_1987)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #88
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally? Dunno. Reruns? On the cable channel Canal Panda. Panda also reran 2k3 ages after it ended as well.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:49 AM   #89
CyberCubed
Overlord

I will never forget about TMNT. I will be 90 years old on my deathbed still thinking about TMNT. The franchise is on my mind 24/7 and all waking hours of the day, along with several other franchises I enjoy.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #90
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

24/7 doesn't get a bit tiring though?

Talking about being 90 and on a death bed makes me wonder if anyone out there, maybe among the most lifelong obsessive fans, will end up with dementia and start asking where the Turtles are, or start hallucinating them...
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #91
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

I'd go crazy or lose interest if I thought about a franchise for a long time
Old 03-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #92
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatswiththeheadbands? View Post
I'd go crazy or lose interest if I thought about a franchise for a long time
Same. I prefer take breaks from a franchise every now and then.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #93
Prowler
Emperor

Thinking about TMNT 24/7? Only you, Cyber

Yeah, I don't think I thought 24/7 about TMNT even when I was a kid.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:27 PM   #94
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, I feel like fandoms are just a little like a relationship/friendship in way that most tend to need a little breathing room.

I can devote plenty of mental energy to these guys, but there is still only so much before it starts wearing on me and feeling a little... I dunno, suffocating? Like the feeling of being too clingy but self imposed in this case? Something like that.

Makes me glad I have a job that keeps me focused on the work I need to get done and doesn't give me much time to mentally drift into other things. Always nice then to go home and devote some time to the things I enjoy afterwards.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:30 PM   #95
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, I feel like fandoms are just a little like a relationship/friendship in way that most tend to need a little breathing room.

I can devote plenty of mental energy to these guys, but there is still only so much before it starts wearing on me and feeling a little... I dunno, suffocating? Like the feeling of being too clingy but self imposed in this case? Something like that.

Makes me glad I have a job that keeps me focused on the work I need to get done and doesn't give me much time to mentally drift into other things. Always nice then to go home and devote some time to the things I enjoy afterwards.
Yeah, it's fine to obsess over something when you're a kid, but as an adult?

When I was a kid I was also obsessed about some video games, TMNT and pro wrestling. But back then, what else did I have to think about besides school? In the summer, Christmas and Easter holidays I had nothing else to do but watch cartoons, wrestling and play video games.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #96
Leo656
The Franchise

I always went into "cycles" where one thing would dominate my attention but the other stuff was still there in the background.

Like for a while I'd mostly pay attention to wrestling, or super-heroes, or Ghostbusters, or video games or whatever, and that would be the dominant thing for a few weeks and then one of the other things would move up.

There's only 24 hours in a day, and I have a ridiculous amount of hobbies and interests.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:15 PM   #97
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I always went into "cycles" where one thing would dominate my attention but the other stuff was still there in the background.

Like for a while I'd mostly pay attention to wrestling, or super-heroes, or Ghostbusters, or video games or whatever, and that would be the dominant thing for a few weeks and then one of the other things would move up.

There's only 24 hours in a day, and I have a ridiculous amount of hobbies and interests.
Same here. I go through phases. Sometimes I don't play games for a long time and only listen to music or watch anime. And sometimes games are the only form of entertainment I consume for weeks.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #98
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
24/7 doesn't get a bit tiring though?

Talking about being 90 and on a death bed makes me wonder if anyone out there, maybe among the most lifelong obsessive fans, will end up with dementia and start asking where the Turtles are, or start hallucinating them...
Or, to be more realistic, ask when it's Saturday morning so they can watch the newest episode of the cartoon?
Old 03-23-2019, 05:23 PM   #99
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally? Dunno. Reruns? On the cable channel Canal Panda. Panda also reran 2k3 ages after it ended as well.
Might be SIC. It was the same channel Power Rangers was shown on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I will never forget about TMNT. I will be 90 years old on my deathbed still thinking about TMNT. The franchise is on my mind 24/7 and all waking hours of the day, along with several other franchises I enjoy.
I'm a fan of a lot stuff. I'm also a fan of Star Wars, Star Trek, the Ghostbusters franchise and a couple of other things. I'm spread out and have been obsessively at some point into one of those when I was younger. However since I've spread out my interests that's why I'm not as well versed as other TMNT fans on this site. That's the trade off.

Quote:
Yeah, it's fine to obsess over something when you're a kid, but as an adult?
Why do you think we have fan conventions? Those ain't just for kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Unfortunately all my hobbies keep me indoors, I get a lot of flack from my parents about not having more interests away from my room. I need to get out more, Vitamin D is good for me. Seriously I think it's more I find activities or hobbies outside kind of bore me. The more exciting stuff seems to be indoors.

Quote:
Or, to be more realistic, ask when it's Saturday morning so they can watch the newest episode of the cartoon?
Mention Saturday morning cartoons? Yeah that will make someone today stand out like a complete oddity.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #100
Overlord

Quote:
Unfortunately all my hobbies keep me indoors
Some people believe children should play outdoors in the Sunshine. Sadly, they just have forgotten one thing:

Spoiler:
Big parts of the planet experience long, cold and dark seasons. Yes, children play and have fun in the snow on a snowy winter's day too. But don't expect them to be outdoors all day long.