The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 06-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

So, this was confirmed via E3.

I won't say much other than... wow. It's gonna be great now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-xSc0MX1eE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB5hCIhXHtE

Spoiler:
Essentially, the whole roster and stages of the past are coming back together. Otherwise the only new fighters so far are the Inklings as speculated and the awaited debut of Ridley. Daisy also now joins as an Echo Fighter, the name for clones such as Luciana and Dark Pit.

Last edited by GoldMutant; 06-12-2018 at 11:12 AM.
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Spoiler:
Every fighter and stahe from the history of Smash is returning.

My reaction:

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:30 PM   #3
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

I'm really happy Daisy made it in even if she's an "Echo Fighter". As a longtime fan of the character it was disappointing how she seemingly kept getting overshadowed by Rosalina with 3D World and Smash 4. Maybe they can go full circle and release Super Mario 3D World with Daisy as a new character.

Glad Bomberman made it in...even if he's just an Assist Trophy
Old 06-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

This game alone has me wanting to buy a Ninentdo Switch now.

I was thinking of getting of a Wii U for Smash Bros. on that system, but hearing this, we all know its too good to pass up.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:37 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I see some people upset that it's just a port of the Wii U version with more characters.

Looks awesome to me. I'll buy it.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #6
sdp
-

It's different enough to be debated whether it's a port or not. I definitely think it doesn't have enough different but it's a lot more than I expected from a port as well so I'm not complaining. What I find funny is they're marketing "Every character EVA!!!" but I think only 4 were missing from Smash 4 on the Wii U to make a complete "every character ever" roster, so not as much work as they're trying to justify not having many new characters because of that. I'm guessing we'll get 2 more new characters and they'll be revealed later in two directs to keep the hype going.

If it really is "Ultimate" I'd want EVERY stage in there as well which they clearly didn't mention and implied it wouldn't be every stage based on their descriptions of stages and that's a shame. But at least I hope we get as many stages as we can get, at least I'm happy that my favorite stage from the N64 game is back (Saffron City, even if sans Pokemon).

Bomberman as an assist trophy was such a tease, but I"m hoping next game he'll make the roster.

Zero Suit Samus has been censored, her boobs are smaller and she doesn't have her perfect run two piece outfit.

I'm glad the Zelda characters are now all based on different games, that's refreshing.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:15 PM   #7
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
What I find funny is they're marketing "Every character EVA!!!" but I think only 4 were missing from Smash 4 on the Wii U to make a complete "every character ever" roster, so not as much work as they're trying to justify not having many new characters because of that.
It's probably because they are treating this as a new entry, and every one since Melee has had cuts. Bringing everybody back is something I'd wager few expected, especially all of the various guests.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #8
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

damn it I am going to have to buy a Nintendo switch now
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

I always get hyped for Smash games. This one looks promising too, even though it's a bit of a port more than a completely new game. Then again, Nintendo seems to be porting pretty much every big Wii U title to the Switch, probably in order to compensate for Wii U's not so great sales.

Why don't they port Super Mario Maker too? In the 3DS version you can only share your levels by spotpass, which is a shame.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

It took 16+ years but Ridley finally made it into Smash as a playable character. I guess it's proof that demand for a character can make anything happen, especially after Sakurai denied him for so many games.

Ridley's actually been in every Smash in some form (besides trophies):

- Smash 64 = You see his SNES sprite flying in the background in the Metroid stage

- Melee = You see Samus fight him in the opening

- Brawl = Ridley and Meta Ridley are boss fights in the game

- Smash U = Ridley is a boss stage character

Now finally after 4 games, Ridley is playable. A dream come true after 16 years to finally have Samus' biggest enemy playable.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Whether this is a port or not... it's Smash Bros. I don't think the gameplay dynamics have radically changed much since the original N64 game. Do we really need a brand new engine than the Wii U one?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Whether this is a port or not... it's Smash Bros. I don't think the gameplay dynamics have radically changed much since the original N64 game. Do we really need a brand new engine than the Wii U one?
I don't want a new engine or anything. But I'd like them to get rid of clone movesets once and for all. It's fine for Dr. Mario to be a Mario clone or for Toon Link o be a Link clone... but Ganondorf as a Captain Falcon clone?! The King of Evil deserves a moveset of his own, come on.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:01 PM   #13
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I guess it's proof that demand for a character can make anything happen, especially after Sakurai denied him for so many games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I don't want a new engine or anything. But I'd like them to get rid of clone movesets once and for all. It's fine for Dr. Mario to be a Mario clone or for Toon Link o be a Link clone... but Ganondorf as a Captain Falcon clone?! The King of Evil deserves a moveset of his own, come on.
Even though its the same moveset as Capt Falcon, Ganondorf still feels very different to me for being much heavier, slower etc. Neverthless he is getting a sword so you can expect some moveset changes.

The only ones that bothered me are Lucina and Dark Pit, who are not even aesthetically much different from the characters theyre cloned from, let alone different in terms of moveset. I'm glad they're becoming echo characters in this new game rather than having their own slot. Echo Characters was also a clever way to bring Daisy in.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #14
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
The King of Evil deserves a moveset of his own, come on.
Bowser already has his own moveset
Old 06-13-2018, 06:42 PM   #15
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Bowser already has his own moveset
Pfft Ganondorf is much cooler than Bowser. Bowser is more of a cartoonish villain, while Ganondorf is a better representation of Evil itself
Old 06-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #16
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Pfft Ganondorf is much cooler than Bowser. Bowser is more of a cartoonish villain, while Ganondorf is a better representation of Evil itself
Thats actually a pretty cool contrast, how 2 of Nintendo's most iconic villains are polar opposite, one realistic and dark while the other one is bright and cartoony.

That being said, I wonder what Pokemon's main villain could be nowdays? Back in 2001 during Melee, its Mewtwo since he fought alongside Giga Bowser and Ganondorf in Event 51, and had a central antagonist role in the 1st movie. However, he eventually changed sides and now Pokemon lacks a constant main villain like Mario and Zelda.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:36 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Thats actually a pretty cool contrast, how 2 of Nintendo's most iconic villains are polar opposite, one realistic and dark while the other one is bright and cartoony.

That being said, I wonder what Pokemon's main villain could be nowdays? Back in 2001 during Melee, its Mewtwo since he fought alongside Giga Bowser and Ganondorf in Event 51, and had a central antagonist role in the 1st movie. However, he eventually changed sides and now Pokemon lacks a constant main villain like Mario and Zelda.
Well the villains in Pokemon are the evil human teams. Team Rocket/Magma/Aqua/Galactic/Plasma/Flare, etc.

But I guess Giovanni is the most recognizeable "evil" villain of them all since he's been around for 20+ years since the very beginning.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:36 PM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post

It's fitting since Mario is more lighthearted while Zelda tends to be a bit more serious. Secondary villains in Mario such as goombas and koopa troopas are also pretty cartoonish and kind of cute; while some Zelda villains are quite creepy(Redeads...).

Villains in Pokémon? I'm guessing Geovanni, the leader of Team Rocket? Villains in Pokémon are usually human.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:52 PM   #19
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Thats the problem with Pokemon, all its main constant villains are humans, and no one wants to play as human Pokemon characters in Smash

Only Pokemon I can think of that is a constant villain is Meowth, he would make a pretty cool character in Smash, but is nowhere in the same league as Ganondorf and Bowser.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #20
Prowler
Emperor

What I wonder is why the hell did they make Jigglypuff of all Pokémon a playable character in Smash games. There's a lot cooler Pokémon out there, come on. But oh well.

I wonder if Fox will be top tier once again. I love Fox especially in Melee.