The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-04-2016, 09:56 AM   #21
ToTheNines
[sic]

It was so confused, tonally. A bunch of swear words, alcohol use, half naked Megan Fox... paired with "dormant animal genes", no actual combat, and a kerrsplat on a 757 windshield.

It missed the mark of being Fred Wolf on both ends of the spectrum.

Last edited by ToTheNines; 12-04-2016 at 01:34 PM.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

The animation in the original cartoon was good for its time, well the best animated episodes anyway. It looks very good to this day for a show literally from the late 80's and early 90's.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #23
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I love the OT for what it is. It was never intended to be a sophisticated art form, nor a sophisticated Turtles, which to me is okay. If it was, then 2003 might have had little reason to exist as it does, if at all.

OotS... There are aspects I like about it, primarily things I was hoping they'd change or focus on more and did, but trying to be the OT is not one of them. Those Turtles just do not look or feel the part for that kind of storytelling. (Or any of the lousy storytelling those writers were capable of.) Do I want them silly and lovable in the right moments, yes, of course. Loony Tunes though... no. And I find it odd that Raph is largely who carried that.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #24
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Agreed. I like the OT as my "main" exposure as a kid aside from the original film which is what actually made me a fan. But I did enjoy some aspects of OotS as qell- just not as much of it as I had hoped. I feel about the same as Indigo and a few others- both have flaws, but I was able to enjoy them for what they were.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #25
dragonside
Hench Mutant

mmmm i seeee

man. So I loved the OT, and I also loved OOTS. It definitely met my expectations. It was the love letter I was waiting for.

I can understand why some people don't like either, but I think the key was to just have fun with it. TMNT without the fun, is like missing half of its appeal.

Keeping in mind that my favorite series is 2k3.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #26
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Well it really wasn't. It had an entirely new format. The comics had the turtles face several different threats, most of the times killing them off on the first or so outing, or just trying to live their lives. The OT had the turtles constantly stop the same quartet of villains from powering up the Technodrome. The villain they killed in the first issue was somehow promoted to main villain status with a weird version of an Utrom and 2 mutant henchmen that were nowhere to be seen in the comics. Plus making April into a news reporter, Splinter into Hamato Yoshi, robot Foot Soldiers, Dimension X, all the crazy toy tie-in characters, and a long list of etc. It was it's own thing entirely.
My opinion on it is that when the Fred Wolf series was being developed the Mirage comic was fairly still new therefore while they wanted a cartoon more lighthearted than the comic it was based on the comic itself hadn't developed enough for the cartoon to incorporate more things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post

I am critical of the OT on these forums a lot (mostly because many of its fans refuse to admit it has flaws)
Wow wow wow, the OT has flaws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

I think I've seen every single episode at least 15 times, some more than that since I had VHS tapes of certain eps as a kid I'd rewatch over and over.
Last time I watched the cartoon was Season 1 a couple of years ago. Before that a saw a couple of episodes of Season 2 some years before that. I need to marathon it in full at some point now I have the complete series although I did want to watch the 4Kids series first in full first since I've seen less of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The animation in the original cartoon was good for its time, well the best animated episodes anyway. It looks very good to this day for a show literally from the late 80's and early 90's.
I'll be the first to admit the animation flaws for this show were huge, which I guess is sort of normal for an independent animation company taking on a huge workload. But when the animation was great and director Bill Wolf was doing his job perfectly it was spot on.

I find it really strange. Out of the Shadows was hyped as a live action version of the Fred Wolf cartoon but apart from borrowing elements of that series it has nothing to do with it. Don't get me wrong, I thought OotS was a better movie than the 2014 movie (maybe because of the FW elements) but it didn't feel like a live action movie of the 80s cartoon. Not sure why people can't see that.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #27
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I was recently wondering, if there are tmnt fans out there who love the original cartoon but aren't fans of tmnt: Out of the Shadows? I ask because I am noticing a pattern, that the same people here who hate Oots are critics of the 80s series who say its a bad show and a parasite on the franchise, while people who love that show enjoyed the movie. So are there any fans who have differing views about the two? (Most preferably people who are fans of the OT, but not the movie. I doubt there are any fans of OOTS who hate the cartoon).
BayTurtles, either film, really aren't that great, esp. compared to the regular TMNT fandom. I've sofar only seen the first BayTurtles film, not yet the 2nd. And based off the clips I've seen, I'm not missing much. People can say what they will about the OT (or "Fred Wolf" TMNT cartoon, really not sure why ppl refer to it that way), but at least it's fun, or 'nostalgic' if nothing else. BayTurtles...well, is just as blah as the BayFormers films. Even there, as cheesy as the original Transformers toon was, somehow I find it's more enjoyable than the crappy Bay films were. I swear Michael Bay is all action/cgi and no substance.

Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #28
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisardo View Post
"Fred Wolf" TMNT cartoon, really not sure why ppl refer to it that way.
Can't speak for others, but I prefer FW over OT, since the 1987 show isn't the Original incarnation. MWS works too but FW is shorter and Murakami-Wolf-Swenson changed their name to Fred Wolf Films in '92
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #29
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Can't speak for others, but I prefer FW over OT, since the 1987 show isn't the Original incarnation. MWS works too but FW is shorter and Murakami-Wolf-Swenson changed their name to Fred Wolf Films in '92
I thought OT stood for "old toon" or "original toon" because it is the original cartoon...
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:12 PM   #30
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Old Toon doesn't quite work now that we have more then two cartoon shows, and while it's the first cartoon show it seems a bit misleading calling it the Original Toon when it's not the Original version and not even the first adaptation of the Mirage Comics.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:33 PM   #31
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Old Toon doesn't quite work now that we have more then two cartoon shows, and while it's the first cartoon show it seems a bit misleading calling it the Original Toon when it's not the Original version and not even the first adaptation of the Mirage Comics.
There's another animated Turtles cartoon before the 1987 show?
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #32
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

This thread has become needlessly confusing.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #33
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
It's funny, we used to say OT and NT.

Everyone quit saying NT forever ago, opting for 2k3 or 4kids... but OT has stuck around for whatever reason.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:26 PM   #34
billbot85
Mad Scientist

I love the OT (despite its flaws) and don't care for the BayTurtles films at all. I haven't seen all of OoTS yet, but from the bits and pieces I have seen, I can pretty much tell that I wouldn't enjoy it much. Sure, it's awesome that characters like Bebop, Rocksteady, and Krang were finally on the big screen, but fart jokes and other low brow humor aren't gonna help change my mind about these films.

I'll eventually get around to watching OoTS so I can have more solid thoughts on it, but I'm not in any rush.

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:55 AM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisardo View Post
(or "Fred Wolf" TMNT cartoon, really not sure why ppl refer to it that way), but at least it's fun, or 'nostalgic' if nothing else.
I'm really not sure why people don't refer to it that way... mostly because they do. And there's been way, way more than enough FW nostalgia in recent years. Enough to sink ships. Enough to drown most third world countries dying of thirst.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:47 AM   #36
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
There's another animated Turtles cartoon before the 1987 show?
I wrote adaptation, not cartoon. The TRPG came out in 1985 predating the FW show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
It's funny, we used to say OT and NT.

Everyone quit saying NT forever ago, opting for 2k3 or 4kids... but OT has stuck around for whatever reason.
Maybe NT should be brought back as Nick Toon, since that show doesn't have a good acronym.

Last edited by Candy Kappa; 12-11-2016 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:15 AM   #37
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I may not be a fan of it's influences but I can still enjoy watching the cartoon and I still have fond memories of watching it on my old vhs player. Yeah I have the DVDs but I'm weird like that.

From watching the first trailer of OotS, I knew that PD were now just going for what was popular back then. If the Megan Fox in a schoolgirl outfit wasn't enough, things were still going to be the same except with fanservice. It's such a shame that they managed to screw up Bebop, Rocksteady, and Krang's first time on film but with these people, it was not a surprise to me.

Just bringing in FW elements doesn't automatically make it like the cartoon. Unfortunately some don't understand this.

Originally, I thought it was the lesser of two evils but now I dislike them both for either the same or different reasons. Both movies are even more offensive to this brand than TMNT 3 ever was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I find it really strange. Out of the Shadows was hyped as a live action version of the Fred Wolf cartoon but apart from borrowing elements of that series it has nothing to do with it. Don't get me wrong, I thought OotS was a better movie than the 2014 movie (maybe because of the FW elements) but it didn't feel like a live action movie of the 80s cartoon. Not sure why people can't see that.
To be honest, I think those who only grew up with the OT and nothing else in this franchise, don't remember it that well other than it being nostalgic.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:02 PM   #38
Casey
Stone Warrior

Count me in this category. The OT was a children's cartoon that cranked out hundreds of episodes for not a lot of money . OOTS was a multi-million dollar live action film that took lazy plot points from the cartoon and duct taped together rewrites and reshoots into an ugly Frankenstein's monster.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:34 AM   #39
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
It's such a shame that they managed to screw up Bebop, Rocksteady, and Krang's first time on film but with these people, it was not a surprise to me.
Well if it makes you feel any better, technically their first time on film is Turtles Forever.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:43 AM   #40
Walkabout
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I like the FW show a lot, and I absolutely hate PDOotS.
What this guy said.

The PD movies are abominable.

R.I.P. Dave Brockie A.K.A. Oderus Urungus
None But The Brave
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oots