The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Should April be with Casey? Or Donatello?
Casey 21 72.41%
Donatello 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #61
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Yeah, I've never understood what is so "special" about us HUMANS that we consider ourselves so much "better" than any other creatures/beings. I mean, if green-skinned (albeit alien) gals are good enough for Captain Kirk, why wouldn't a green-skinned GUY be "good enough" for April? So what if he's got a shell? Twi'lek chicks have those head-tail things, but apparently, even Jabba wasn't turned off by that (and it's weirder for HIM than it would be with, say, Han- for obvious reasons....) And then there's Hepzibah from the Starjammers, whose entire race are basically cat-folk. Yet she had a relationship with Warbird (and presumably also with Corsaire, though I don't recall for certain). Goliath/Eliza, Beauty/Beast, etc. It's all relative between what WE consider attractive/acceptable, to what other cultures or species would consider so in fiction. For instance, would WE even be considered attractive to other races? Would a cat-man consider a human woman suitable as a possible mate/partner/whatever? Maybe, maybe not, but who are WE to judge? It hardly matters what the individual LOOKS like, if they have other qualities that are attractive to someone or make them a suitable match.
*nod* If the individual is a walking, talking biped who freely consents to things by their own choice, then that is the business of the pair.

Cripe, if they are humanoid and can snuggle up with you and watch a movie and discuss it afterward - this is a fellow person; who may have simply come in a different package.

TMNT's shellyness could technically I guess be regarded as something akin to a physical condition. Now - art styles that make them FAR more animalistic, I can entirely understand objection to that and agree. But as for their portrayals that make them far more similar to humans and are either hybrids or could be suspected of being such... come on.

For generations we've had young women encouraged to focus on what's on the inside of a guy rather than the outside. Often deny their own need for physical attraction and in it's absence look for the great person within. Is it really any surprise that we have portrayals of female human characters capable of doing that and falling for male characters that aren't human? Or that there are female fans who do the same and wind up with a small crush on a favorite character? I mean if female fans are more okay with it (be it April and Donnie or what ever) than male fans... I'm not that surprised.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #62
Warhorse
Emperor

In other incarnations, I would have to go with April/Casey. But since they already paved a back door in 2012 with April not being full human, and considering I just don't like this Casey, I would say Donnie.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #63
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, I could agree with those sentiments. He did after all start this crush by seeing her at a distance and declaring her the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen. Rather than, say, saved her, got to know her, and figured out over time that they have much in common. (Not that he still couldn't find her pretty from the start or anything.)

Might be nice to have some other girl came along that he realizes he clicks with, and then see how internally he deals with the idea of letting go of April and later hindsight.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #64
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Oh, if ONLY!!! Jhanna comes to mind.... Too bad she probably won't appear in Nick. Or could we possibly RE-introduce Irma as a possible match? (As a REAL person this time, who was replaced by the "fake" one of Krang Sub-Prime....)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #65
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

Sigh. Despite my hatred for the Donnie and April in nick, I still like the idea of it because it's a very interesting concept when taking it seriously, meaning to do it right, you would need to take in consideration of the viewpoints of two very different species and put in the right conditions to make it believable.

As much Donnie would look like an alien reptile morlock to April, to him and even if he had seen humans on a six basic channel television set with a satellite made out of coat hangers, April from his perspective, probably looks like a weird albino simian like animal with mange. Donnie is an outsider looking in to our world. To think that these two will instantly fall over heels over physical attraction (seriously girls get over yourselves because your species is not a type for all) or god forbid that she "Look into his eyes and saw his bare soul" is so laughable that it hurts.

For some, it's impossible to not feel like this pairing is coming from a place of creepy fetishism while for others it's just kind of a joke of "Oh look! He's horny! Hardy har har."

But I still think it's possible when coming from a connection that was build over time and maybe even the physical attraction part could be more acquired through....well I guess things you learn to look and appreciate that you didn't before and thoughts to maybe experiment are curious at best. That being said the first thought of both people should always be "This **** is weird."
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls

Last edited by Luckyday; 06-09-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:29 AM   #66
Foxywba
Thug

Who ever posted anything to say april should be hooked up with a turtle is pretty sick,why on earth would she be sleeping with a turtle ??
Foxywba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:57 AM   #67
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

*shrug* Hardly a topic that's anything new and like it hasn't been around for, well, years. Why anyone, outside of new fans, is even surprised anymore is beyond me. lol

Besides, I've seen little to no suggestion here of anyone sleeping with anybody. A relationship of some sort between characters doesn't have to be physically intimate.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:09 AM   #68
Wolfie65
Foot Soldier

Objectification is right. I mean, how DARE they even notice she's female!?!
Wowjustwow.
Anyhoo......
*Some* high school girls do have a thing for anyone who's as different as possible, and it doesn't get much more different than a mutated turtle, so as long as it stays on a hand-holdy, eye-batty, awwww sort of level, I can see April & Donnie until April turns 15 or so.
If we transfer this into the real world, the chances of finding willing sex partners (of any species) for red-eared sliders who got turned into half-humans are pretty much nil.
Since April is part Krang and all attitude, young Mr. Jones would be well advised to keep his distance.
Wolfie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #69
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
*shrug* Hardly a topic that's anything new and like it hasn't been around for, well, years. Why anyone, outside of new fans, is even surprised anymore is beyond me. lol

Besides, I've seen little to no suggestion here of anyone sleeping with anybody. A relationship of some sort between characters doesn't have to be physically intimate.
I don't know why. Although it certainly implies that Donnie has a thing for her and liked her as soon as he saw her kind of implies that there is some kind of physical attraction. They are both humanoids so one could find some traits that are appealing but no one said it had to be an intimate relationship. Even if they couldn't breed and have kids, has no one heard of adoption?

I feel if ladies can go out with gargoyles or hairy humanoid beasts, I don't think a mutant humanoid turtle is so implausible.
Yabuturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #70
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxywba View Post
Who ever posted anything to say april should be hooked up with a turtle is pretty sick,why on earth would she be sleeping with a turtle ??

A better question would be- "why the heck NOT?" It's not like he's a "dumb animal" that wouldn't know what's going on or can't make up his own mind whether he is into it or not. And you've obviously never met any "furries".... Seriously, there are people out there who are into ALL sorts of things, including anthropomorphic animal fantasies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie65 View Post
Objectification is right. I mean, how DARE they even notice she's female!?!
Wowjustwow.
Anyhoo......
*Some* high school girls do have a thing for anyone who's as different as possible, and it doesn't get much more different than a mutated turtle, so as long as it stays on a hand-holdy, eye-batty, awwww sort of level, I can see April & Donnie until April turns 15 or so.
If we transfer this into the real world, the chances of finding willing sex partners (of any species) for red-eared sliders who got turned into half-humans are pretty much nil.
Since April is part Krang and all attitude, young Mr. Jones would be well advised to keep his distance.

I dunno about "NIL"- I've seen plenty of folks on fan-art sites who would literally JUMP at the chance if those boys were real. Apparently, green skin and a shell isn't as much of a deterrent as one might think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabuturtle View Post
I don't know why. Although it certainly implies that Donnie has a thing for her and liked her as soon as he saw her kind of implies that there is some kind of physical attraction. They are both humanoids so one could find some traits that are appealing but no one said it had to be an intimate relationship. Even if they couldn't breed and have kids, has no one heard of adoption?

I feel if ladies can go out with gargoyles or hairy humanoid beasts, I don't think a mutant humanoid turtle is so implausible.

Ditto to this. Heck, I will fully admit that I wouldn't have a problem dating Nightcrawler or Beast from the X-Men, and they're not much different.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:04 PM   #71
Lou 500
Hench Mutant

I like Donnie/April pairing as a guilty pleasure. However, I'm aware of the flaws and that it could be handled a lot better. As it's been stated before, April is very underdeveloped and the writer's ideas of making her more relevant are "give her special abilities so she can fight alongside the boys" when she was fine acting as an agent and data collector for the turtles in the OT; she utilized her skills as a reporter to help the team. We still don't even know what her hobbies and general interests are.

They've at least toned down Donnie's swooning in later episodes, which is a huge improvement. Character romances are more believable when they've not being shoved in your face for 80% of the episode.

Despite being a fan of the pairing, I wouldn't mind seeing Donnie move on and find someone else like Jhanna. Guess I just like seeing Donnie shipped with any chick as long as it's believable, lol.
Lou 500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:08 PM   #72
LS Animation
Thug

I'd honestly say neither. I think it'd be better if she had some other character as a boyfriend. Somebody likeable but incapable of protecting himself from the villains ergo a casual nice average guy. I don't like the objectification of April, not because I'm a feminist but because I think it's simply cliche storytelling.
LS Animation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #73
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Surely I hope them being green would be the least of it for most. If anyone has an issue with green... what year is it in the world of a species that comes is a diverse range from very pale to very dark? AND people with many tattoos making themselves all kinds of colors? lol

The shelly aspect... well I guess that varies per person I suppose in what you're capable of looking past or not.

I suppose there are other *cough* details that are more the main source of freak outs if one lets one's mind wander too far in speculation... but whether someone imagines that being in a way that's ok enough, terrifying, compatible or not at all... well, that obviously comes down entirely on very individual...what's that term... headcanon? Obviously one person's horrifying idea does not necessarily translate into what another person imagines in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabuturtle View Post

Well, technically it was intended as a response to the post above me.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #74
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Surely I hope them being green would be the least of it for most. If anyone has an issue with green... what year is it in the world of a species that comes is a diverse range from very pale to very dark? AND people with many tattoos making themselves all kinds of colors? lol

The shelly aspect... well I guess that varies per person I suppose in what you're capable of looking past or not.

I suppose there are other *cough* details that are more the main source of freak outs if one lets one's mind wander too far in speculation... but whether someone imagines that being in a way that's ok enough, terrifying, compatible or not at all... well, that obviously comes down entirely on very individual...what's that term... headcanon? Obviously one person's horrifying idea does not necessarily translate into what another person imagines in that regard.

Heh, I guess my personal head-canon in that respect is probably on the "terrifying, incompatible" end. If they were anatomically proportionate to normal turtles, that is. If NOT.... Meh, I'd live with it. Different strokes, and all.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:48 PM   #75
Wolfie65
Foot Soldier

Assuming that along with giving them opposable thumbs, making them warm-blooded, endowing them with the ability to digest pizza, and all sorts of other good non-turtle stuff, the mutagen also made their boy parts technically compatible with human girl parts, I'm sure there would be some fan grrllzz who wouldn't mind some green.
The question is, what would Donnie's reaction be when he sees them?
Before he discovers what wonderful minds and personalities they have, of course......
Wolfie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #76
Gunpowder
Stone Warrior

Sorta confused as to why this is here & not in the Nick section...hasn't Nickelodeon Donnie been the only version of that character to express any romantic interest in April? If not for that, then Casey would be in the clear.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #77
Leo656
The Franchise

Any "romantic" interest, maybe, but they've all crushed on April to various degrees across almost all media. So the idea of one of them being attracted to her isn't really the issue, it's the awful way this show has approached it that's the problem.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:41 AM   #78
LS Animation
Thug

But overall in the show April is partly Kraang so she is like a mutant too, it's just that her looks are not affected by it. So honestly, Donnie and April is not so gross if you really think about it, because they are both technically mutants.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #79
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Annnnd... while the mutagen may have caused him to be how he is, Donnie is still full Earthling, so technically April could be considered the weirder one, even if the humans aren't going to see it. So maybe it's Donnie who's weird for being into that, knowing what he knows.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #80
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

It also seemed to imply interspecies relationships in the OT with Usagi. I remember Usagi saying to the Turtles about April

"I liked that woman. Her ears were too small and she lacked fur, but she was nice." xD

I believe the relationship between Donnie and April is possible, but I was just wondering which would be a better fit, regardless that they are of a different species.
Yabuturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
april o'neil