The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #101
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Oh come on, at least they didn't say Ralph or Donald.
Give it time...

Esp now that you prob jinxed it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #102
Donaterro
Thug

Sucks.

Sorry.
Donaterro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #103
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

I'd probably laugh at the guys calling Raph, Ralph just to piss him off.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #104
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

The animation is cool but it's like Next Mutation meets Fast Forward.
I'll keep watching a bit longer, I've only seen the first episode so far.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:31 AM   #105
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

I'd like to watch the episode again with my kids to see what their perception is, but I suspect they'll really enjoy it. They love over the top stuff, and this show is definitely over the top.

Here's what I enjoyed -

I thought the art direction (at first) was annoyingly modern. Seeing it in action, it's very bright, colorful, vibrant, and meant to catch your eye. There's so much going on so quickly that I feel like I need to drink a Mountain Dew or an expresso just to keep up. I thought that would annoy me, but actually, in watching it, it more... intrigues me. It sort of pulls me along rather than pushes me forward.

The humor was a good mixture of quick and out there, and at the same time refreshingly present. Donnie was the one that kept me laughing the most, because I think he represents more of the "quick and out there" sort of humor that I love. Like, the way Tony Stark's lines come out in the MCU. The lines, on paper, aren't funny, but how he delivers them, the quick delivery, the "If you weren't listening for it you'd miss it" factor; Donatello had that. For example, when they were using their "nerd voices" and Donnie, from the background just says: "That's my actual voice," that's the kind of thing that keeps me laughing.

I don't love the size differences, or the designs for the turtles in general. However, I can get over that. Next Mutation played with the designs, Bay Turtles took it a step further, so I can get over that. In time. That's just me being a grumpy old man, I guess. I don't have a real reason to keep the designs similar to the original other than it's my simple preference. I understand though that things need to change to stay relevant. I mean, after all, I'm a church pastor, so, there's that.

The red streaks from Leo's being a red eared slider popping out of his mask was a little distracting. Anyone else feel that way? Just me? I'll get over it.

Loved the humor. Loved the pacing. Loved the art direction. I also enjoyed meeting Baron Draxum for the first time. Was it just me or did he seem to recognize the turtles? Looking forward to how they'll address that, and definitely keeping us in the dark about some of the origin stuff makes for future episodes that I'll want to watch.

The comment was made by Powder, well, I'm paraphrasing, but he said something to the extent that with this being a "Rise" kind of story, like the turtles are clearly in the beginning of their training and adventures, and we as audience members are going along for the ride, too. I agree with that thought, and I like it.

Here's what I didn't care for -

Leo and Raph switching roles/personalities didn't seem entirely necessary or even important to me. Seems like change for change's sake. I would love to see Raph go back to his Paulsen-like days of being more "cool but rude". Leo not being the leader bothers me less than Leo being the comic relief. I do, however, like Raph's new characterization. It feels less "entirely new" and more of a development of the Raphael character in general. He's definitely more of a positive attitude kind of character, kind of like a captain of the football time kinda guy. Which, I'm good with. I don't know if it means he absoutely needs to be the leader, but it works. Leo as the funny guy? I'm not buying it.

Splinter... I don't know. I need to see more from him, but I'm not there yet. For real.

April. April was just wrong all over. Again, paraphrasing Powder, but I feel he's right, ever since NICK started doing TMNT April has felt like a spiritual Venus De Milo. We don't need a 5th turtle. She seemed way more confident and OP than the Turtles themselves, and I don't love that.

I feel like April's role in the past ten years or so has become less the "link to the human world" character, the "big sister" type of character to the "Turtle without a shell" character. I feel like April's role has been more important in the past. Folks are free to disagree with me (they probably will) but that's where I'm at on April.

My biggest real beef, I don't understand why a reboot was needed to tell these stories. The NICK toon was going so well, they had wrapped up the whole Splinter/Shredder storyline, so I guess I don't know why we needed to reboot the series in order to tell these new stories and explore new worlds/characters. Maybe time will tell...

So, those are my early thoughts. Again, I'd like to watch the episode with my kids to see what they think, too. My 4 year old started watching it with me, and then quickly saw a squirrel and darted off.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:08 AM   #106
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillCrites View Post
Wow I adored this first episode and if they keep it up this will be my favorite TMNT cartoon of all time
Until the next one.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #107
KillCrites
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Until the next one.
Are you implying that this is recency bias?
Old 07-22-2018, 08:32 AM   #108
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

I downloaded the first episode, free on iTunes.

What can I say, it's terrible. Couldn't even finish the episode. It's turtles in name only.

Last edited by I Crave Pizza No More; 07-22-2018 at 08:43 AM.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:47 AM   #109
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post

What can I say, it's terrible. Couldn't even finish the episode. It's turtles in name only.
Why didn't you finish the first ep? I mean I find it hard to believe people can't just let a single 22 minute ep finish rather than stopping in the middle. Did you even get to the part with the underground city?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #110
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

WELL, I was wrong.

I can admit when I'm wrong, and here, I was very wrong.
It's very different, but, if you let everything you know about TMNT go - and just let it happen, it's pleasing AF.
You think you gonna hate a thing, then surprise, you enjoy it. The writing is stronger than almost any other version of TMNT, in that the dialogue feels real. That was a huge win for me. It's also ACTUALLY funny, not cringe funny.

I still don't love the designs, but I liked the frenetic pace of the animation. The look is fun though, and very pop, so i get that.
It's not really Turtles, and a huge departure from the grim edgelord nonsense some people think should be TMNT.

Ep 1 was solid. The rest I didn't really care for, but I'm not 12.
I'm guessing this is why TMNT is getting a reboot - That first episode. It would be tons of fun in live action.
I dig the magic, because it's not stiff and serious...

Lots to love here. Hater no more.
Leonardo_thebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #111
Casey
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konchadunga View Post
I have three things to say:

1) The adult in me doesn't mind much that this starts up mid-action, but why even include the "Rise of the" part in the title of they're going that direction. It seems the rise is really them going from athletic but undisciplined and nonchalant buffoons, to more concerned heroes.

2) Where exactly was April better at fighting than the Turtles? If that was specifically referencing the first episode, I remember her being agile but awkward.

3) The "everyone is Mikey" trope, as Turtles Forever put it--although I think the Jim Henson movies also had that pretty bad--can get really old really fast. It's better if they're good at writing jokes, but as people said, we've spent so long with Michelangelo being reduced to a comedic caricature with askew priorities that he virtually disappears when everyone's funny and has askew priorities.
I think they chose the title so firmly separate it as a new series. The turtles are learning their craft which is also implied by the title and pretty clear how no one is serious including Splinter. Not saying you’re not entitled to your opinion.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:53 AM   #112
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I think they chose the title so firmly separate it as a new series.
It's totally OK. There are already three animated series called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Fred Wolf Studios, 4 Kids and Nickelodeon) out there.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #113
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
Leo as the funny guy? I'm not buying it.
Yeah, it feels too forced to me, the sooner he drops this and matures the better.

Generally, with previous incarnations, I enjoy Leo's sense of humor because it's used more conservatively. I find it so much more genuine and enjoyable when he does make a funny remark because he's the more serious, less joking one. I mean, when the serious person in the room randomly pulls off a good one, and likely in a rather dry and witty fashion... now that is far funnier than the guy who is just trying to get laughs all the time.

What we've been shown at this point has me leaning much more toward believing that they did wipe out his real personality because he's the "boring one."
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #114
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Those who can’t watch the first episode on Nick site, download it on iTunes- it’s FREE and has no ads at all!
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:03 PM   #115
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Why didn't you finish the first ep? I mean I find it hard to believe people can't just let a single 22 minute ep finish rather than stopping in the middle. Did you even get to the part with the underground city?
I'm not sure I have it in mean to write a thoughtful, complete response.

I had wanted to turn it off after the first 5 minutes but forced myself to keep it on until they met Splinter. That's where I stopped, but after reading your post I decided to go back and finish the episode. I stand by my original assessment.

Here are my main gripes, abbreviated:

- The animation is colorful but the characters all look ridiculous. Not a fan of the style. Raphael looks especially terrible, snaggle tooth and jagged shell.

- Someone else mentioned it and I'll echo the sentiment: I don't care that April is African American but it is annoying how she's been given a stereotypical sassy attitude. That, and it's sort of dumb how she, as a human teenager/pre-teen, just dives headlong into a battles that even trained ninjas can't handle.

- While on the subject of stereotypes, it's unfortunate that Splinter is given a thick, artificial accent and is depicted as an abrasive slob.

- The pace is hyperactive--there's no story development or any effort to create any kind of mood. Instead, it's all just spasmodic and the characters are annoyingly dumb and incompetent. How many times in that first episode do the TMNT end up heaped in a pile? The storytelling is lazy. Take, for instance, the way April is seemingly lost forever in that other dimension/world/area. Not only do the turtles find out how to get to that world with relative ease, but as soon as they arrive (in a heap, again) April miraculously shows up behind them and their reunion is instantaneous.

- This show tries too hard to be funny. It's reflective of Nick programming in general, where everything is designed as a pun or a punchline, but very little of the writing is actually clever. I found most of it to be annoying.

- I'll say it again: this is TMNT in name only. The turtles have no discernible personalities (giving Don a jetpack doesn't make him the brainiac--that's almost as bad as the Bay designs where glasses were supposed to denote Don as the smart one), and if we didn't already know and have an emotional attachment to the characters I doubt many people would find this particular incarnation satisfying.

If you're a fan of the show, that's cool. But for my part I will not in any way support this version of the TMNT and hope that it quickly runs its course.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #116
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
I'm not sure I have it in mean to write a thoughtful, complete response.

I had wanted to turn it off after the first 5 minutes but forced myself to keep it on until they met Splinter. That's where I stopped, but after reading your post I decided to go back and finish the episode. I stand by my original assessment.

Here are my main gripes, abbreviated:

- The animation is colorful but the characters all look ridiculous. Not a fan of the style. Raphael looks especially terrible, snaggle tooth and jagged shell.

- Someone else mentioned it and I'll echo the sentiment: I don't care that April is African American but it is annoying how she's been given a stereotypical sassy attitude. That, and it's sort of dumb how she, as a human teenager/pre-teen, just dives headlong into a battles that even trained ninjas can't handle.

- While on the subject of stereotypes, it's unfortunate that Splinter is given a thick, artificial accent and is depicted as an abrasive slob.

- The pace is hyperactive--there's no story development or any effort to create any kind of mood. Instead, it's all just spasmodic and the characters are annoyingly dumb and incompetent. How many times in that first episode do the TMNT end up heaped in a pile? The storytelling is lazy. Take, for instance, the way April is seemingly lost forever in that other dimension/world/area. Not only do the turtles find out how to get to that world with relative ease, but as soon as they arrive (in a heap, again) April miraculously shows up behind them and their reunion is instantaneous.

- This show tries too hard to be funny. It's reflective of Nick programming in general, where everything is designed as a pun or a punchline, but very little of the writing is actually clever. I found most of it to be annoying.

- I'll say it again: this is TMNT in name only. The turtles have no discernible personalities (giving Don a jetpack doesn't make him the brainiac--that's almost as bad as the Bay designs where glasses were supposed to denote Don as the smart one), and if we didn't already know and have an emotional attachment to the characters I doubt many people would find this particular incarnation satisfying.

If you're a fan of the show, that's cool. But for my part I will not in any way support this version of the TMNT and hope that it quickly runs its course.
In a nutshell it kinda is TMNT ala Teen Titans Go! style. And ironically that show is still running 5 Seasons on and have an upcoming movie. That’s the kind of show people like now I guess. I’m okay with it.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #117
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
In a nutshell it kinda is TMNT ala Teen Titans Go! style. And ironically that show is still running 5 Seasons on and have an upcoming movie. That’s the kind of show people like now I guess. I’m okay with it.
I'll take something along the lines of the original Batman: The Animated Series any day.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #118
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Yeah that series is truly phenomenally groundbreaking. It even inspires the modern Batman Arkham games. Respect.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:59 PM   #119
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

I'm not indifferent at this point regarding the new series
Would def love a dark series more geared for adults but that's just wishful thinking
Old 07-22-2018, 07:30 PM   #120
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

I liked the first episode! But I wish it was always 22 minutes long....I feel it was paced better that way the other episodes feel super rushed.

I like all the characters, but I do wish the show in general was a little more grounded?