The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Do You Want A New TMNT Film To Be Current Or In The 80's/90's?
Current/Modern 23 38.33%
80's/90's 37 61.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #61
Coola Yagami
Overlord

IDK, the more we have technology where literally everyone is walking around with a camera and ever rumor gets online and social media, I kinda feel the TMNT and by extension most characters that have to hide their existence from the world wouldn't realistically operate in today's world. They kinda do work better in the late 80s/early 90s before all the technology became readily available to the common man.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #62
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

With the new Terminator movie retconning everything after Terminator 2: Judgment Day and continuing from where it left off, I think it would be amazing if a direct sequel was made to TMNT III. Like others have mentioned, the later years of the Turtles, Splinter, April, and Casey need to be explored more. It should also adapt some of the later Mirage stories, since that's part of what made the first movie so great. City at War would be perfect place to start.

Also, because the 2007 movie was considered a spiritual successor to the 90s movies, maybe a few callbacks could be made to it as well.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:44 PM   #63
xChri5x
Stone Warrior

I would love for an 80s set TMNT movie. It would keep the over-the-top tech that they put in the newer movies at minimum.

Also, Casey with a mullet, April with a perm.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #64
Shinigami
Thug

I’m into anything differs than what they did with the first two they made at PD. I love being pandered to with Stranger Things, but I do in fact believe the show is not near as good without the pandering, so I hope turtles could find a good writer and give us an actual plot and not just pop culture.
Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #65
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
IDK, the more we have technology where literally everyone is walking around with a camera and ever rumor gets online and social media, I kinda feel the TMNT and by extension most characters that have to hide their existence from the world wouldn't realistically operate in today's world. They kinda do work better in the late 80s/early 90s before all the technology became readily available to the common man.
Agreed. It’s like The Fugitive. Kimble would find it very hard today to go from town to town without getting caught.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #66
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

A lack of cell phones and a presence of radios and cassette tapes doesn't add a thing to something like TMNT. It just reminds it's fans of their childhoods... nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia, nothing more.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #67
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A lack of cell phones and a presence of radios and cassette tapes doesn't add a thing to something like TMNT. It just reminds it's fans of their childhoods... nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia, nothing more.
Maybe, but there is something to be said about the visual element. In some ways, it just looks cool to have a ninja story set in the aesthetics of the 1980's or maybe even earlier. It gives a certain flavor, which, yeah, could be propped up a bit by nostalgia, but can also stand on it's own merits if done in an interesting way. I think it depends on the execution and context of the story.

In some ways, the choice of time and setting can greatly benefit the writers. For instance, the improvements in technology could either help or hinder certain moments of logic within the storytelling, depending on which way they go.

I think in some ways, setting a TMNT story in modern day can be beneficial for filling in gaps of logic. The internet being widespread and accessible would certainly help sell the idea that the turtles and Splinter were able to somewhat acclimate to human language and way of life.
But then again, a story taking place in the 1980's makes it much easier to believe that the world has not been able to discover or photograph the turtles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xChri5x View Post
I would love for an 80s set TMNT movie. It would keep the over-the-top tech that they put in the newer movies at minimum.

Also, Casey with a mullet, April with a perm.
https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.ne...600/855013.jpg
Yes! I love this aesthetic.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:18 AM   #68
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Maybe, but there is something to be said about the visual element. In some ways, it just looks cool to have a ninja story set in the aesthetics of the 1980's or maybe even earlier. It gives a certain flavor, which, yeah, could be propped up a bit by nostalgia, but can also stand on it's own merits if done in an interesting way.
But what does it add? You want to alienate current generations just to make 80s babies feel warm and fuzzy, basically?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #69
Sumac
Banned

But TMNT 1990 is already exactly that...

Why do we need a fake period piece, when we already have a genuine article?

How about, dare I say, trying to move forward?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #70
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
But what does it add? You want to alienate current generations just to make 80s babies feel warm and fuzzy, basically?
Well, like I said in the full post, it could either add cool visuals or strengthen plot logic.

You could set it in a certain time period in order to justify certain story elements - turtles integration into human life or means of surviving being either aided or hindered by the time period and technology available at said time. The internet or lack-of could play a large role in the audience ability to suspend belief, for one example.

Or if you are visually creative and have a vision of turtles hopping across rooftops in a 1960's New York, then why not pursue it, given all the other elements of a successful film are in place. Since when are films not a visual medium, ya know? If something looks cool, put it on screen.

I think those are two, quite different ways, in which doing a period piece could potentially improve the film.

And hell, if they are pandering to 30-40 year olds, as opposed to 7 year olds, I won't complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
But TMNT 1990 is already exactly that...

Why do we need a fake period piece, when we already have a genuine article?

How about, dare I say, trying to move forward?
Why does moving forward necessitate having a modern setting? Your post implies that it is creatively bankrupt to do anything but a modern piece. There are plenty of ways to move forward or be innovative while doing a period piece. And to be clear, I'm open to the film taking place in whatever time it deems appropriate, but I think there is merit to the idea of setting it in the past, or even future. It all depends on execution.

At the same time, I hear what you're saying - we've basically already seen the 1980/90's setting in a TMNT film, so maybe we don't need to see that setting, above any other, in a new TMNT film.

Last edited by AquaParade; 08-19-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #71
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I have a complete different view on it. Mid-80s NYC had a much different feel than modern NYC-- seedy, dirty, dangerous. It lends itself better to a "more serious" TMNT adaptation, imo.

Modern NYC a'la Netflix Daredevil does a good job of inserting the older feel, too. Both could work, it just depends on the creativity (or lack thereof?) with the storytellers.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #72
Galactus
Foot Elite

So y'know how there's a few arguments that people throw at TMNT as a property whenever it's reported that a movie is in a production. One of them being that it's purely a nostalgia property and doesn't work outside the 80s and early 90s. Making a movie set in that period would just feed into that mindset.

There's nothing about the TMNT story or characters (any version) that belongs exclusively to that time period.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:51 PM   #73
AquaParade
Banned

I think you could even set the film in the year 2035, without losing sight of what makes the franchise special.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #74
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
So y'know how there's a few arguments that people throw at TMNT as a property whenever it's reported that a movie is in a production. One of them being that it's purely a nostalgia property and doesn't work outside the 80s and early 90s. Making a movie set in that period would just feed into that mindset.
I'm not exactly privy to the meetings at Paramount, but I highly doubt fan arguments play into creative decisions, such as period setting. Not one bit. Not one single iota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
There's nothing about the TMNT story or characters (any version) that belongs exclusively to that time period.
True. There's also nothing that belongs exclusively in the present, either. Hell, it even works in the 1800s-- bummer the TMNT 3 production team dropped the ball.

At the end of the day, it's all in the creativity and storytelling skills of the production team (and how much freedom Paramount gives them). I'm sure there's a director or show runner that could make a kickass TMNT adaptation set in modern day. I'm sure there's a director or show runner that could make a kickass TMNT adaptation set in 1984.

If a creative is hitting a brick wall on something as imaginative and vivid as TMNT due to period setting-- they're creatively bankrupt. Of course, that seems par for course.

From a producer's perspective, the last three TMNT films were set in modern day and did horribly.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:57 AM   #75
Prowler
Emperor

How about I DON'T WANT any new TMNT movies? The only one that's actually "good" is the very first one. And we've had like 5 more since then? SOTO was fun and the 2007 CG movie was OK-ish, but TMNT 3 was mediocre and the Bay films were absolute garbage and have traumatised me and set the bar too low for what counts as a "good TMNT movie". So, at best, we'll have a movie as good as SOTO again one day. Pass.

Ofc I'd like to see an actual GOOD TMNT movie but that ship has long sailed, I'm afraid.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:00 AM   #76
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I mean.... the modern day It movies are set in the 80s/90s, not a cell phone in sight and it doesn't seem to be alienating new audiences.

Also if you plan to make a sequel to the old ones you can't move too forward or you'll end up with the logical mess of Superman Returns.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:23 PM   #77
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
From a producer's perspective, the last three TMNT films were set in modern day and did horribly.
Did horribly? The 2014 film is the highest grossing film in the franchise.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #78
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Did horribly? The 2014 film is the highest grossing film in the franchise.
Let me rephrase-- From a producer's perspective, the last three TMNT films were set in modern day and either forgotten or universally panned by audiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
How about I DON'T WANT any new TMNT movies?
I second this.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:24 PM   #79
Shred87
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Shredder View Post
With the new Terminator movie retconning everything after Terminator 2: Judgment Day and continuing from where it left off, I think it would be amazing if a direct sequel was made to TMNT III. Like others have mentioned, the later years of the Turtles, Splinter, April, and Casey need to be explored more. It should also adapt some of the later Mirage stories, since that's part of what made the first movie so great. City at War would be perfect place to start.

Also, because the 2007 movie was considered a spiritual successor to the 90s movies, maybe a few callbacks could be made to it as well.
I always thought it would be cool to do a direct sequel to the 1990 movie. A sequel more in tone with the original. Bring Casey Back and Danny back and pick up right from the rooftop.
Shred87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:20 PM   #80
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

Elias should play a "bald" Casey , just go with the flow and the turtles just accept it

Doesnt matter if we want or not want another TMNT , hell theyre prolly gonna remake Jaws one day too , mark my words
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote