The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 07-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #361
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I ... have no words.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #362
Allio
Foot Elite

It feels so perfectly overthetop
Old 07-20-2017, 09:11 PM   #363
Prowler
Emperor

Has anyone here played the Sonic Robo Blast 2 fan game? is it any good?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:00 AM   #364
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Has anyone here played the Sonic Robo Blast 2 fan game? is it any good?
It's harmless. Nothing spectacular but can be fun. Plus I love the art style. Give it a shot!
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:27 AM   #365
Prowler
Emperor

Played a bit of Sonic Advance earlier today and found it to be a pretty OK game overall thus far. Feels a lot like classic Sonic. What does everyone ehre think of the Sonic Advance series?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:36 AM   #366
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Played a bit of Sonic Advance earlier today and found it to be a pretty OK game overall thus far. Feels a lot like classic Sonic. What does everyone ehre think of the Sonic Advance series?
Fun overall, but too reliant upon "boost" gimmick for Sonic's gameplay. Also, WAY too many bottomless pits when compared to the Genesis games. Leads to so many cheap deaths made worse by the small range of sight caused by the dimensions of the GBA screen.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #367
Ninjinister
無問題

Yeah I hate the "hold right to win" mechanic but I also hate the "get punished for doing exactly what the game are known for" aspect. I feel like no game has balanced it right, but the Advance series dive too far into the latter.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:19 PM   #368
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Everybody's Super Sonic Racing in low-poly glory!

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/0...pecial-stages/

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:08 PM   #369
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

That looks like ****.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:06 PM   #370
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

I've never really liked the Special Stages in Sonic, the Special Stages in the Advance and Rush series for example nearly ruin those games for me, Sonic 3's Blue Spheres is the only one in the original trilogy I didn't find frustrating in some way. Mania's Special Stage looks like the Sonic Heroes Special Stages with better controls and I didn't find those too annoying.

Whats everyone's favorite Special Stages?
My top 3 are:

1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles Blue Spheres
2. Sonic the Hegehog (Master System)
3. Sonic CD
Old 08-03-2017, 08:29 PM   #371
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
That looks like ****.
It's deliberate. One of the things they've mentioned is wanting to have a look of if Sonic actually had a 2D Saturn game. So the sprite based stuff looks like a great evolution, while the special stage is a 3D low poly look. I'd rather something smoother or better looking, but eh, it's a bit charming, I think, and not as hard to look at as a lot of games from that actual era.

Quote:
Sonic 3's Blue Spheres is the only one in the original trilogy I didn't find frustrating in some way.
Really? Huh. I thought all four classic series games had great special stages, from 1 to 3&K. They weren't always easy, but then, they're not supposed to be either. The only one I ever felt was a bit unfair was Sonic 1's special stages, mainly because those goal blocks were everywhere and you had limited control over things.

Say what you will about Sonic 4, but you had a bit more control there.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:49 PM   #372
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
It's deliberate.
I know it's deliberate, I'm not ****ing retarded. Deliberate or not, it looks like ****.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #373
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Really? Huh. I thought all four classic series games had great special stages, from 1 to 3&K. They weren't always easy, but then, they're not supposed to be either. The only one I ever felt was a bit unfair was Sonic 1's special stages, mainly because those goal blocks were everywhere and you had limited control over things.
I thought Sonic 1's Special Stages were ok, but yeah I do find the later stages annoying. Sonic 2's Special Stages...I've beaten plenty of hard games in my time. Castlevania, Battletoads, etc...but no mater how hard I try I can't beat all of Sonic 2's Special Stages with Sonic & Tails. I've manage to do it with Knuckles because the entrance to the Special Stages is easier (because you keep your 50 rings after the Special Stages) and you don't have to collect as many rings in the Special Stage. Yeah, if you just play as Sonic or Tails alone you have less rings to collect. No matter how hard I try, Tails always manages to the lose the rings I need in the latter stages. I could just play as Sonic alone and get all the emeralds, but having Tails follow you in the Zones is part of the fun of Sonic 2. I like the concept, the visuals and music, but the decision to add more rings when playing as Sonic & Tails just ruins the Stages for me. At least the getting all the Emeralds in Sonic 2 isn't required to play the final boss and get the good ending like in latter games.

I think Sonic 3D Blast, both versions, handled the concept much better. Especially the Saturn version with it's ability to roll down hills for more speed. But Sonic Rush's Special Stages with the touch controls...ugh. I never did manage to get the 7th emerald.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:42 PM   #374
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I know it's deliberate, I'm not ****ing retarded.
Seeing as I made no mention or judgement on your intelligence or mental faculties, I'm unsure what prompted this defensive response, but it's really not necessary.

Quote:
Sonic 2's Special Stages...I've beaten plenty of hard games in my time. Castlevania, Battletoads, etc...but no mater how hard I try I can't beat all of Sonic 2's Special Stages with Sonic & Tails.
Tails can be dead weight in those stages, yeah. Eventually Sonic 2's special stages get to be like seeing lines of code in the Matrix. You just sort of get the gist of when to jump so Tails doesn't get hit. I'm pretty good at getting almost all of the rings with Sonic, so Tails never has more than ten to lose anyway. I kinda put him out of my mind entirely.

Quote:
I think Sonic 3D Blast, both versions, handled the concept much better. Especially the Saturn version with it's ability to roll down hills for more speed.
3D Blasts special stages were fine, but always felt kind of weird to me. But I only ever played the Genesis version. It felt like an idea meant more for a more powerful console.

Quote:
But Sonic Rush's Special Stages with the touch controls...ugh. I never did manage to get the 7th emerald.
I never bothered with them. I didn't enjoy Rush to begin with. Actually, I kind of hated it, to be honest. That game was awful with the endless series of bottomless pits, plus the screen size meant you couldn't see far enough ahead of you to react to most things that came up in time. I lost a lot of lives to bottomless pits because of poor placement and sudden platforms over pit sections.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #375
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
I know it's deliberate, I'm not ****ing retarded. Deliberate or not, it looks like ****.
So...what exactly are you expecting from a game that's supposed to be going back to the roots of the Genesis days?

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #376
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Don't mind Cure, he's just trying to keep Peanut's memory alive. Don't take it personal.

I like the special stage look but mostly for nostalgic reasons, then again this game is a love letter to nostalgic Sonic fans

I wonder if Sonicmania outsells Forces by a lot we'll see Classic Sonic take the spotlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
They wont use Classic Sonic as the current mascot because then people will complain that Sega wont evolve with the times.
What do you mean, modern Sonic was revealed nearly 20 years ago, there's nothing "modern" about him anymore and looks straight out of the late 90s. If anything he looks more dated than classic Sonic who can now look "vintage".

Quote:
I only played the first one, it was the first Sonic game I actually owned (not played, played plenty of the original) since I only ever owned Nintendo consoles up to that point.

I loved it, it felt like Sonic and classic Sonic at that. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't offer a lot more than that but still loved it. All characters pretty much play the same though besides Kuckles/Tails abilities which only affect gameplay very slightly. The only one who is actually different is Amy and not in a good way. Always wanted to check out the other three.

The first Rush game I got bored of it since it did feel like only going right but I liked the boss fights. I actually like "going right" too but yeah it wasn't too memorable.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #377
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
So...what exactly are you expecting from a game that's supposed to be going back to the roots of the Genesis days?
Nothing. It looking like **** has nothing to do with expectation, it just looks like ****. Jesus.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:09 AM   #378
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Nothing. It looking like **** has nothing to do with expectation, it just looks like ****. Jesus.
Why does it look like ****? You're not giving any reasons why other than to just **** on the game.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #379
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Why does it look like ****? You're not giving any reasons why other than to just **** on the game.
He's talking about the bonus stage graphics.

Anyway, I can't f*cking wait for this game.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #380
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Don't mind Cure, he's just trying to keep Peanut's memory alive. Don't take it personal.
Oh, I won't. I was just a bit taken aback.

Quote:
I wonder if Sonicmania outsells Forces by a lot we'll see Classic Sonic take the spotlight.
This game is definitely going to sell well, but I don't know about outselling. I'm trying to keep modest about sales expectations. Retro is definitely a good market for games, but they also sort of have a ceiling, because I've noticed some younger gamers don't really go for those sort of titles. I remember when Mega Man 9 and 10 came around, a few stories from people who remarked how much the game was nostalgia heaven for them, but they couldn't get their kids into it because they didn't get it. Too weird and blocky.

Of course, Sonic is not nearly THAT retro and probably doesn't have nearly that much of a disadvantage. Just something to keep in mind. Regardless, I think I recall Iizuka saying that if it sold really well, it would help determine what they did with the property going forward, so if it does sell a lot we're probably going to see a series of new classic styled Sonics like this.

Quote:
What do you mean, modern Sonic was revealed nearly 20 years ago, there's nothing "modern" about him anymore and looks straight out of the late 90s. If anything he looks more dated than classic Sonic who can now look "vintage".
Eh, I dunno, I think both looks are timeless enough. They're pretty simple. It's sort of like Mario and how he changes every now and then, but not that much because you don't really need to.

Quote:
I only played the first one, it was the first Sonic game I actually owned (not played, played plenty of the original) since I only ever owned Nintendo consoles up to that point.

I loved it, it felt like Sonic and classic Sonic at that. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't offer a lot more than that but still loved it. All characters pretty much play the same though besides Kuckles/Tails abilities which only affect gameplay very slightly. The only one who is actually different is Amy and not in a good way. Always wanted to check out the other three.

The first Rush game I got bored of it since it did feel like only going right but I liked the boss fights. I actually like "going right" too but yeah it wasn't too memorable.
Amy's more fun in Advance 3. I liked the partner system a lot. It's a shame it wasn't used in more interesting ways. The stages really should have been designed around different combinations, sort of like how Tails and Knuckles had their own paths in 3&K. I didn't think she was bad in the first Advance though, just different and taking some getting used to.

Tags
paperbrookneedsfreshair, sega, sonic