The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 04-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #1
Fishface
Foot Soldier

Why does everyone seem to dislike Fast Forward so much?

I remember Fast Forward and I liked it. I don't really get why it gets so much hate from the fandom just for being different and going back in time.
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

To me, it seemed like most people only really hated it back then. They've all mostly mellowed out by now.

I personally loved Fast Forward, far more than Back to the Sewers.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

I guess it's the lighter tone, more obvious toy-shilling, addition of new non-turtle characters as part of the status-quo, etc.

Personally, I loved it. 4kids was at its best doing original stuff, IMO. Well, I don't care for BTTS, but I stand by that sentiment otherwise.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:40 PM   #4
Fishface
Foot Soldier

Sure it has the worst theme song in TMNT history but I don't see why it got such a negative reception with the fanbase.
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:52 PM   #5
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

I really liked FF. I wish it got more episodes.
I remember alot of people hating cody, but he was fine to me.
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:38 PM   #6
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

It was just mediocre, the villains we were meh, the supporting characters kinda sucked, and it felt more like a gimmick than anything with substance. Still better than Back to the Sewers but I'll probably won't be revisiting it.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:59 AM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Several reasons, here's a comprehensive list:
  1. Downgraded animation.
  2. The plots are more generic than before.
  3. The future setting is an obvious attempt generate more interest, rather than a genuine change for the better.
  4. It barely connects to the previous seasons.
  5. The story is no longer as tightly knit.
  6. It required an entire new cast of characters, most of whom sucked.
  7. The toy advertisement increased even further.
  8. While there is an excuse, having the Turtles constantly run around in daylight like it's the Fred Wolf show just feels wrong.
  9. It didn't really conclude. It just left hanging plot threads.

It's not the worst thing ever, you could even argue BttS is worse, but it's not good. If there's a silver lining to this season, it's that Dunn came from it, who was actually kind of a cool character when written by Tom Waltz.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:31 AM   #8
ABrown
Banned

I think the Fast Forward season was very entertaining. The problem that I had with it at the time was that it replaced the fifth season (the ninja tribunal season). Once season five became available, I grew to really enjoy the FF episodes.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #9
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I didn’t like it when it first aired, but it’s grown on me over time. Like ABrown, the main problem I had with it was that it replaced the Ninja Tribunal season at the time and the change in tone, setting and characters was jarring, but that doesn’t really matter nowadays. Still don’t like the theme song, though.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #10
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I have no idea, and it makes me kind of glad that I wasn't really involved in the online fandom that much when it was airing because....damn was I entertained by that ridiculousness.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #11
Casey
Stone Warrior

I felt like it was a gimmick and also a little to close to the kind of stuff Power Rangers does.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Personally, not a fan of most of the new characters and villains thrown at us. I like the Dark Turtles, Cody and that blue girl are "eh," but the rest... pass. I like the Turtle's own performance just fine. But why oh why did that darn snobby robot have to follow them into the final season. >.> That was a disappointment. But I like the Turtle part, so there's that.

I confess though that in some way I kind of like the theme song/opening for that season, it's sorta fun. (Unlike the last season's that is kind of exhausting just to watch.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #13
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

I remember being pretty hyped for it when it was first announced. 4Kids really played it up to seem like it was a brand new show and even ninjaturtles.com was updated to reflect that. I even got some of the action figures the summer the first three episodes aired. I initially enjoyed it, but I was still dissapointed about Season 5's cancellation. For some reason, Comcast was showing a few of the unaired Season 5 episodes on demand that year, and some people recorded them and put them online, so that was all we had until it was finally released on DVD and aired on TV.

The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most of the villains in FF were better than all the previous 2k3 created characters (besides Hun and Bishop).

Torbin Zixx, Boss Zukko the Triceraton, Viral, Shoko'nobo, Dark Turtles in their second and third ep, Jammerhead at times, were all pretty interesting and fun characters.

Also I don't know why people are saying the stories weren't tight knit, FF had two recurring main villain plots going on throughout the entire run (Shoko'nobo/Viral transforming Earth, as well as Darius/Dark Turtles), and all the recurring villains had subplots too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:58 PM   #15
sdp
-

Who hated FF? Neckbeards?

Fast Forward did really good in ratings and one of the reasons we got BTTS. Sure part of it was because of the 2007 movie making new TMNT fans but FF did fine in ratings IIRC.

Fans never gave it a chance since S4 was excellent had just finished with an awesome cliffhanger and the real Season 5 was skipped with no sign of whether it would ever air angering fans even more. I mean FF had to be the best thing ever created in the history of TMNT for fans to accept it at that point.

Count it that it's a mediocre season doesn't help. I mean I didn't mind the new animation, lighter tone or gimmicky future setting (I actually loved it). most episodes are just a bit boring.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #16
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Who hated FF? Neckbeards?
I only ever see it hated on by the Facebook casual crowds, who referred to it as a "gay spin-off".

Like Cubed said, it's got some really fun villains who were done quite well. It's great if you give it a chance, & the future stuff in general sorta reminds me of Vol. 4 & the Red Sky seasons at times. It's not out of place or untrue to TMNT spirit at all (if you don't care for that in general though, that's fair).

The Dark Turtles are a huge hit in the Japanese fandom, interestingly. To this day they get tons of fan art on Pixiv & the like.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:41 AM   #17
Vivi
Mad Scientist

It's a pretty solid season. It's the first time 2k3 showed a real difference in their size, too.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

I also love the character development they gave to Bishop.

Knowing he becomes president of the entire Earth in the future and turns the EPF into the Pans-Galactic alliance and forms allies with alien races to protect the Earth was a great direction to take the character. I also love the Baxter Stockman ep in FF when Baxter tries to get revenge on him and Bishop and the Turtles convince him to change his ways. Lastly Bishop's role in the finale on the Moon base where he works with the Turtles to stop Shoko'nobo was great.

And man, I forgot about the Inuwashi Gunjin. Their eps were great too, especially their second episode on the moon base where they start off as villains but then due to their sense of honor save Cody and help the Turtles.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:53 PM   #19
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishface View Post
Sure it has the worst theme song in TMNT history but I don't see why it got such a negative reception with the fanbase.
When the obnoxious singing voice was removed, it turns out to be a very good song surprisingly!

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #20
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Fast Forward did really good in ratings and one of the reasons we got BTTS. Sure part of it was because of the 2007 movie making new TMNT fans but FF did fine in ratings IIRC.
If it did so good in the ratings than why cancel a second season of it in favor of BTTS?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote