Notices

Old 10-19-2022, 08:13 PM   #21
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Nobody had a ****ing Game Gear.
I did.

The Mega Drive outsold the SNES in Europe, in general. So several gamers in the Old Continent definitely got a Game Gear. But sure, the original Game Boy was more popular overall since it was a better system overall. Especially once Pokémon came out and every kid had one.

People mostly remember the Game Gear for needing 6 goddamn batteries.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 08:36 PM   #22
Leo656
The Franchise

Every single kid I knew with a Game Gear forever played it while sitting 6 inches from the wall plugged into that stupidly short power adapter.

"Merry Christmas, Timmy! Enjoy your new 'portable' handheld that you can't take anywhere, and that flickering, migraine-inducing mess of a color screen! Ya little douchebag. I'mma go upstairs and play a little Tetris on my Game Boy Pocket while I stuff your Mom's stocking. Hasta!"

"...(snif) ...I wish I lived with Dad..."

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 04:28 AM   #23
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I did.

The Mega Drive outsold the SNES in Europe, in general. So several gamers in the Old Continent definitely got a Game Gear. But sure, the original Game Boy was more popular overall since it was a better system overall. Especially once Pokémon came out and every kid had one.

People mostly remember the Game Gear for needing 6 goddamn batteries.
Sega in general was always more popular in Europe. I remember reading that the Master System also did well over there in comparison to in the US and Japan. Sonic likely has the biggest fanbase out there.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 07:51 PM   #24
oknazevad
Mouser

Sega in general did better in Europe because Nintendo had terrible distribution during the peak NES years, allowing Sega to get a foothold with the Master System which continued even more so with the Mega Drive (as it was known there). Even after the 16-but system was released, though, the Master System continued to get support in Europe largely because of three factors. First, Sega of Europe continued to market it as a low-cost bargain system for a few years, using the lower priced Master System II model, which meant that it actually got a fairly good installed base to sell games to. And that installed base made it worth it for third-party publishers to actually make games for it, which it never had much of in the US. And finally was the technical aspect of its relationship with the Game Gear. Namely, the Game Gear is really a portable Master System, with near-identical hardware.

The resolution of the Game Gear is lower, as it's limited to the LCD screen. Meanwhile the Master System doesn't have as large of a selection of available colors, though the number of colors on-screen at once is the same and all the available colors of the Master System palette are in the Game Gear palette. In short, putting the exact same 8-bit game on both was pretty easy, and depending on market there might be either a Master System or a Game Gear version of a game, or both, available. Oh, and a simple pass-through adapter to use Master System carts on a Game Gear was available.

So long story short, there was a market for Sega 8-bit tiles into the 90s. Not as large as other market segments, but a lot of publishers found it large enough to make an effort. But Konami never did. Literally the only Game Gear game Konami had any involvement in was the puzzle game Junction, mentioned above, and that wasn't even really them, Micronet just licensed the rights from them because it was based on Konami's earlier arcade game Loco Motion.

The one I'm sorta surprised never got anything TMNT was the PC Engine. Konami did support that in Japan (most notably with Castlevania: Rondo of Blood) and the Turtles were pretty popular in Japan.

Last edited by oknazevad; 01-23-2023 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Fix details and add additional thought.
oknazevad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:20 PM   #25
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknazevad View Post
The one I'm sorta surprised never got anything TMNT was the PC Engine. Konami did support that in Japan (most notably with Castlevania: Rondo of Blood) and the Turtles were pretty popular in Japan.
Yeah, its weird they didn't do any TMNT project for PC Engine. Konami LOVED to put projects everywhere, heck, they even made Castlevania remake for Sharp 68k.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:26 PM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

If they did put something on PC Engine, it probably would have been another weird half port/half new game of Turtles in Time similar to HyperStone Heist. Where they would take elements of Turtles in Time and change it around a bit to make it somewhat new and somewhat a port.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 04:45 PM   #27
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I can see an original arcade game port to PC Engine. Would have been niche but they ported the game to much weirder hardware!

Would have been cool if they added some brief animated cutscenes like they did with the PC Engine CD port of Double Dragon II: The Revenge!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 01-25-2023 at 08:32 AM.
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:01 AM   #28
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
If they did put something on PC Engine, it probably would have been another weird half port/half new game of Turtles in Time similar to HyperStone Heist. Where they would take elements of Turtles in Time and change it around a bit to make it somewhat new and somewhat a port.
Trust me, I'd be more than OK with it!!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:10 AM   #29
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I was inspired by thread enough to pull out my Game Gear for a little play last night. Definitely used the AC adapter instead of killing off some batteries. It probably has some loose circuitry as I had trouble holding a steady power connection, failed to turn on a couple times, and it eventually froze up on me twice, but I did enjoy my time with Tempo Jr.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:59 PM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

Man, I haven't had a Game Gear since like 1996 or something. I don't even remember what I did with mine as a kid as I no longer have it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote