The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #21
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Disney is releasing it an episode at a time. The first episode is actually pretty fun with a good mix of humor in action. It's essentially a western set in the Star wars universe.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:12 PM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Not that long either, about 38 minutes plus credits.
That's it?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #23
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Yeah, I was surprised it wasn't a "full hour" TV length.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, I was surprised it wasn't a "full hour" TV length.
I never thought for a second it would be anything less. Especially for the opening episode.

I hope Obi-Wan isn't going to be like that.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's probably a budget issue, it's said to be the most expensive show Disney ever produced.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #26
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I really wonder if it was just all the time they needed for the story. Some streaming shows care little about the episode length due to no commercial breaks.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:53 PM   #27
IMJ
Emperor

Just got done watching it about five minutes ago. I'm not sure what everyone's expectations are, or what some people will want to hear, but I thought the show was great.

It's very clear that the show was expensive, and you can sense the showrunners intelligently allocating resources where they can. For example, the first act is on an ice planet with largely empty planetary scenery. You can tell it was a money saving choice, but it served the story because they are running around on a barren wasteland of a frozen lake for the most part.

And again for budget reasons, the episode carried itself as a small-cast movie. Like Sam Rockwell's "Moon". They save a fortune on actors by keeping the interactions to that of a stage play. But it works because again, it serves the story. The characters were all likeable. Also, if this show lasted for five years and he never took his helmet off, it would be terrific.

These two examples of budgeting though are fine when most of the VFX shots were basically Star Wars quality. It felt like as fresh but also familiar a look at Star Wars as Rogue One did, and I mean that in a good way. If they can keep identity politics out of it and keep guys like Rian Johnson away then this could be the most reliably decent Star Wars we get under Disney.

Honestly, I thought it was great. A lot of fun.

Last edited by IMJ; 11-12-2019 at 06:13 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #28
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I wonder if they'll ever do the star wars live action show lucas made, the scripts are written for like a bunch of seasons already, he was just waiting to make it affordable to film.

Mandalorian seems to be getting great reviews from everyone, but I dunno, I'm wary, I'll wait for the hype to die down. Ep VII was also praised for a while as were EpII and III after they came out, so I need time for the hype to die.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:37 AM   #29
Mayhem
Foot Elite

A promising start, and yes the end of the episode sets up something interesting indeed. Wonder if he will get in trouble, IG-11 is in Guild too heh...
Old 11-13-2019, 01:43 AM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

For what it was, a 35 minute thing, it was awesome! I'll need to reserve my judgement until I get a few more of these to digest to comment on the whole, though. Not a whole lot of meat here just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I wonder if they'll ever do the star wars live action show lucas made, the scripts are written for like a bunch of seasons already, he was just waiting to make it affordable to film.
"Star Wars: Underworld"? Yeah. Just like those old rejected McQuarrie things keep coming back into style, it's pretty inevitable that some joker will pull those scripts out of the vault in 5-10 years. I actually hope they do.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:41 AM   #31
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

I wonder if episodes can eventually be bought off of Amazon. I don't have cable access (and I don't want to spend a wad just for one show) so I really hope it does.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #32
AquaParade
Banned

I want to subscribe to Disney+, but it isn't available on my Sony 4k Player, under the Apps section.

I'm bummed, because my audio system is hooked up to my 4k player and not my tv.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
I wonder if episodes can eventually be bought off of Amazon.
Highly doubtful, beyond in physical form way down the line. Amazon Prime is a direct Disney+ competitor.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:01 PM   #34
AquaParade
Banned

I said screw it and subscribed on Playstation.

Anyone having issues with the Ultra HD & HDR content? I tried plugging in for a wired connection, but when I select the HDR content, it is definitely not Ultra HD or HDR. Could be a launch issue...
Old 11-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

You don’t have to subscribe at all, I don’t have any online services and I watch whatever I’m interested in. I’ll probably wait till the whole season is over to watch this show, so I can binge it all on 1.5x speed in a lazy afternoon.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #36
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You don’t have to subscribe at all, I don’t have any online services and I watch whatever I’m interested in. I’ll probably wait till the whole season is over to watch this show, so I can binge it all on 1.5x speed in a lazy afternoon.
By what means? Torrents? I'm hoping this and Watchmen both get physical releases, because that encourages me to watch things.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #37
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
By what means? Torrents? I'm hoping this and Watchmen both get physical releases
I'm hoping Watchmen gets cancelled and everyone involved in that awful show gets egg on their faces.

As for Mandalorian, I'm sure it'll get a physical release eventually... but Disney has absolutely zero incentive to do that anytime soon. The longer it's exclusively only on Disney+, the better for them.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #38
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm hoping Watchmen gets cancelled and everyone involved in that awful show gets egg on their faces.

As for Mandalorian, I'm sure it'll get a physical release eventually... but Disney has absolutely zero incentive to do that anytime soon. The longer it's exclusively only on Disney+, the better for them.
Well, I haven't seen Watchmen yet, to be fair, but I dig the look of it, at least.

I fear you're right about The Mandalorian, but I'm hoping they've still got a good chunk of the audience they feel they haven't reached with Disney+.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #39
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

If the series plays out as well as the first episode did, I'd buy this on 4k disc for sure.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #40
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Rian Johnson wants in, to direct episodes:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/rian-joh...m-mandalorian/

Tags
cancelculture