The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #41
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It doesn't necessarily have to be a "tragic" backstory, just some kind of backup. Maybe it comes from generational power lust. Maybe it's being sick of the status quo. Maybe it's starting off thinking they can do better and then unintentionally mutate to something they never intended. I understand why people would enjoy such a character, but it doesn't really do it for me. I would like to see at least some kind of history that doesn't involve violent abuse as a child because that's probably the most cliche tragic backstory of all.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #42
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

So, some of you alright with him just being greedy enough to commit genocide and wanting revenge solely because there were consequences for his actions? So, he's simply a symbol of capitalism at its finest during a time where all of Peter Laird's projects had a political agenda?
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

Is it just me or does it feel like it's taking a long time for issue #84 to come out, even though the span between releases is pretty much the same as always?

I feel like I'm ready to move on to the next arc already.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #44
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
So, some of you alright with him just being greedy enough to commit genocide and wanting revenge solely because there were consequences for his actions? So, he's simply a symbol of capitalism at its finest during a time where all of Peter Laird's projects had a political agenda?
Considering Ch'rell never showed ANY interest in financial gain or the acquisition of wealth, I think you're making a huge stretch here.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #45
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, that's a good point, he never really did . I guess he just realized that on Earth, wealth=power, so he had to act the part, but other than that, it wasn't really critical to his goals and wouldn't have cared less otherwise.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #46
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Is it just me or does it feel like it's taking a long time for issue #84 to come out, even though the span between releases is pretty much the same as always?

I feel like I'm ready to move on to the next arc already.
Nah, same. I've always been more interested in Bishop than the Pantheon, and the IDW Rat King... well, he hasn't really been given the chance to live up to his menace.

The kids will be saved, and he'll skulk off.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #47
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, his threat has been pretty dull all things considered. Especially when he acts like a great big deal that this particular city is in disarray. It's not like there aren't war-torn cities all over the planet where he could easily do the same thing to his content. And could do it without those meddling kids and their dinosaur.

(Where is Pepperoni anyway?)
Old 07-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #48
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

The IDW trade formula of "save the real action for the final issue of the trade" is really wearing thin for me.

If Rat King's not gonna cut loose until #84, by that point, I'm already irritated.

Whereas, in the last Bishop arc, the dude gutted the Mutanimals with their own ally in the first issue. That was enough to keep me interested.

And, I suppose, it could be that this is the Rat King, and he and the Pantheon at large have been some of the most slow-burning elements of the IDW TMNT run...

If Rat King doesn't kill a single victim this story arc, and the sight of kids actually going over the bridge was just a vision of the near future... well, I think I'm done with the Rat King. This is the last chance. Wow me, IDW.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:55 AM   #49
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

On one hand, I can see how it might work since the turtles are on a downward spiral (Raph especially). Either Rat King will kill someone and make things worse into their fight with Leatherhead in the next issue until things implode when they have to confront Bishop again...or they'll escape by the skin of their teeth.

I for one am not expecting much from him. Interestingly, between Bishop, a Terminator Man with the greatest Exoxenophobia to walk the Earth, Shredder, a plain ol' man outside his time with a centuries-old vendetta and puppet to a Goddess' greater plans, and Krang, literal destroyer of hundreds of civilizations from another dimension...why does the god-like immortal with a thread in every major event in Earth's history have the lowest threat threshold? Step up your fvcking game, man. You're going to let a robot, a tiny pink ball of rage, and an almost-regular guy be better antagonists than you?
Old 07-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #50
CyberCubed
Overlord

Pantheon, and Null (and I guess Ch'rell too), are the slowest burning plotlines, but I guess with the Pantheon makes sense if they're going to stick around the entire run of the book. I do wish they explored Rat King and the others quicker though.

With Bishop on the other I don't mind, because we know he'll be around for the long haul too, and at least he's a driving force in all the current plotlines. And Bishop's not a character I expected "defeated" in a manner, even if he remains completely evil in this incarnation and never becomes an ally to the Turtles like the other series, because the EPF will always be around.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #51
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Tiny pink ball of rage is a perfect description of Krang
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:57 PM   #52
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Pantheon, and Null (and I guess Ch'rell too), are the slowest burning plotlines, but I guess with the Pantheon makes sense if they're going to stick around the entire run of the book. I do wish they explored Rat King and the others quicker though.
Eh, Ch'rell doesn't bother me. He's Krang 2.0, I don't care if it takes awhile for him to actually do anything of consequence. I view him more as a continuation of Krang's threat, rather than his own legitimate threat.

But Null and the Pantheon... yeah, gotta agree with you on those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
why does the god-like immortal with a thread in every major event in Earth's history have the lowest threat threshold? Step up your fvcking game, man.
Damn. DAMN. That's extremely well said. And now I'm even more disappointed with IDW's Rat King.

For all the different versions we've had, I think Mirage Rat King is still the most compelling.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #53
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

To break down even more, at least form from the way I see the characters...

"I'm the most powerful force in my dimension going through some terrible issues that I'm not going to bother to address. Nearly all of my people are dead. I'm going to convert the air of a primitive planet - without any companionship or input from one of my own kind - and anyone who opposes me will be crushed."

"The immortal witch I married says I have an incredible destiny enabled by reincarnation and I can't let go of my vendetta against a man who betrayed me hundreds of years ago because of the culture we were brought up in. I have no idea my wife is using me as a ploy for her daddy issues."

"My father created me as a vessel to fight against a traumatic event in his life. But I'm going to take it in a direction beyond what he ever intended and that includes killing him with a mutant I weaponized. I won't listen to any reason extra terrestrials - of this dimension or otherwise - have for coming to Earth even if it's just for shelter."

"TOOT TOOT, CHILDREN, IT'S CHAOS TIME."

Even Null at this point is more interesting than Rat King, and she's even more vague with her intentions.

The Pantheon can be killed, let's just prod Leatherhead in his direction and send him to hang out with Krang for a bit. (They can both drive Bronson up a wall)
Old 07-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #54
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Nah, same. I've always been more interested in Bishop than the Pantheon, and the IDW Rat King... well, he hasn't really been given the chance to live up to his menace.

The kids will be saved, and he'll skulk off.
I agree 100% with this post!
Old 07-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #55
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Even Null at this point is more interesting than Rat King, and she's even more vague with her intentions.
See, that's the thing! Null doesn't bother us because she's so vague. We're not sure what to expect, or what we might be missing.

Rat King seems to be like Chris Nolan's Joker, or a kid who likes to pull wings off flies and drop them onto a live anthill. He should be tormenting people, doing monstrous things, not just skulking around with a flute and mocking Kitsune.

C'mon, RK, show us some real "god of chaos" stuff! I want to believe we'll see something in the next issue that'll shut me up and make me eat my words. But...