The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Which shippings do you like?
Donnie and April (Apritello) 27 79.41%
Casey and April (Capril) 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #21
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Random Aside, is Casey's dad abusive in the Mirage universe?
I mean...we meet his mom, and his cousin Sid, but is there any mention of his dad at all?
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:04 AM   #22
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I dunno, there are people out there who have pretty crap families...
True, but the reason Casey, for this series, got into the vigilante thing was to protect his sister, father, and April.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:09 AM   #23
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

Too bad we never really see either his father or sister to really care about them. Or when he seemingly doesn't care about them.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #24
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon View Post
Too bad we never really see either his father or sister to really care about them. Or when he seemingly doesn't care about them.
It's almost like the writers forgot he had a family. This is another thing on my list of things I wish they'd elaborate on.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #25
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

They're in the same boat as April's aunt really.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #26
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon View Post
They're in the same boat as April's aunt really.
At least she was mentioned, but seems when Kirby finally returned that they could've had her say, "My aunt went home" or something.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:58 AM   #27
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Really wish there was a third option called "I like them both" and a fourth one called "Neither". I've said it before and I'll say it again, the show can't do relationships well except Leo and Karai. That's the only dynamic I feel they nailed properly with Leo's desperation to restore Karai's sanity; though there's occasional flirting prior to mutation, it's subtle. The others are either irritating for me to sit through such as Michelangelo and Renet or could have worked, but are instead played up for laughs and annoying for Raphael and Mona Lisa. Another time for it, but I'll focus on April because honestly, it's been four seasons and I'm really tired of it.

Capril- Can you even call this a relationship in the Nickelodeon universe? I certainly don't; in most TMNT incarnations, we know Casey and April are set to be together. The only time I'm aware of that it isn't is the Fred Wolf cartoon; if there's another version with both in (not PD as of now), feel free to correct me as I still need to read the comics. The dynamic of the two, while repetitious is always fun to watch. Casey often the lovable, yet feisty everyman with a rougher past in comparison to April's background where she's been through tough times, though not as tragic as Arnold Jones' passing. With the Turtles, the overall theme is family; April serving as a sisterly figure to the group, a tender heart in hardships while Casey is the stepbrother, at times arguing with the group but willing to do what's right.

The dynamic of the family theme leads to a problem I have with Casey in this version: his arrogance and arguing is grating after it's done too often. I can excuse Mutagen Man Unleashed because it is his debut into the cartoon; after all, it takes time to adjust a reinterpretation. Problem is with Casey is his main trait season 2 wise is to be the foil to Apriltello mostly. Sure, it can be argued that as a sister to the Turtles, Donnie would struggle to let April go with another man. As Casey doesn't mature usually either, that's an issue, though teens (myself included) have a superiority complex at times.

I've yet to find a reason personally to say Casey should be with April besides being continuous in the TMNT mythos. Maybe as the show progresses and he matures, then maybe. However at this time, I can't say yes. As for Apriltello, that's an entirely different subject matter.

Apriltello- ....From what I've seen on the forums, this is one of the most difficult topics to discuss Nickwise due to some liking and shipping the two, some are indifferent, and some don't like it. Personally, numerous opportunities have been present to go all in with this, but majority of the time it's played up for comedy. I do like Donatello's character in this series and am a sucker for good ol Paulsen, but the crush, despite it's spacing out, is irritating. In a way, Donatello's shyness reminds me of Peter Parker; not in a vein of heroism, but a stereotypical nerd is shy and insecure, taking a while to come out of his shell. That's acceptable, but how Don behaves in specific episodes bugs me.

Not to say Donatello is bad by any means, but I get a bad vibe from the comedic opportunities present. Obviously, there's the chart from Monkey Brains which goes way too far as a crush and more of an obsession. Besides that elephant in the room, Beyond the Known Universe is another major example that hurts the potential of both shippings. Obviously, appearances are more favored, but it went rather overboard despite a gag at best. Then of course, the infamous A Foot Too Big; despite disdain, the episode is actually something I can praise, though see why people hate.

In most episodes surrounding Donnie's affection/obsession (take your pick), he does have a lot more sympathy for April whereas Casey doesn't get much of a chance unless off camera. The Kirby demutation arc of season 2 being the prime example. Guilt does factor into wanting to fix a mistake; in Donatello's case, he feels responsible for Kirby turning into a mutant and wants to help him. That's the quintessential example of what the writers can do to make the crush not cringe inducing, but relatable. Of course, there are stinkers, particularly A Foot Too Big with April's kiss after Don accepted being wrong; certain episode involving Capril sometimes go for a feel good ending, which is a fault barring Target: April O'Neil. The writing is a severe conflict with the relationships, but if handled correctly you get heartwarming moments between April and the guy you ship.

Ultimately, even though Don has done more good than Casey to be with her, I can't see April being anything more than friends. Casey's arrogance as a vigilante can be annoying, but he seems somewhat absent minded. On the other hand, despite the good Donatello's done, the teasing and at times his personality are rather cringe inducing. I blame it more on the writing and overblowing the situation out of proportion as the show isn't through. Until a resolution or something is done without going to the extent of imagery, then I can't ship nor like either couple.

Tl;dr: Despite good moments spaced in the series and Don trying to do his best at certain points, the writing hurts both relationships, causing me to ship neither.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #28
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Random Aside, is Casey's dad abusive in the Mirage universe?
I mean...we meet his mom, and his cousin Sid, but is there any mention of his dad at all?
I don't think so. All I know about that version of Arnold is that Hun Killed him.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:45 PM   #29
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Any other version I'd have said Casey. but THIS Casey?! Uh, no. Gonna' go with Donnie here. Casey's a perv.
same here, except I have more on the Donnie part
Old 03-21-2016, 12:48 PM   #30
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
I used to prefer Apritello, but after some careful thought, I have a different opinion. So, bear with me...

Spoiler:
Personally, I feel April should just remain single.

Donatello's whole perspective on romance is based on his "Nice Guy" Archetype. He feels entitled to date April just because he does nice things for her. This type of thinking is dangerous and demeaning towards women, as it often treats them like rewards/trophies that should be "won".

- He created a chart just so he could meet April, and force her to go on a date with him. ("Metalhead")
- He (initially) only created a cure to "win April back". ("Mutagen Man Unleashed")
- He (along with Donatello) oogled at April like an object. ("Beyond The Known Universe")

Casey is just being plain creepy. It seems, at times, he only values April for her body. It's honestly disgusting.

- He pinched/groped her bottom. ("Plan 10")
- He oogled at her body. ("Beyond The Known Universe")
- He fights with Donnie over who gets to have her. ("Chinatown Ghost Story")

It's chilling to watch...
Donnie along with.. Donnie? oogled over her body?
Also I think the chart thing was from 'Monkey Brains'
Old 03-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #31
The Happy One
Hench Mutant

For me, if done right, both could go pretty nicely.

With Donnie...he's sweet- let's face it. Sure season one and a bit of two was cringe worthy while watching them sometimes. But I think it was a nice basis of what not to do (that the majority of teenage boys do anyway) and has kinda blossomed from that. Again, if Nick did it right, I'd be fine. But seeing, as Gold said, the only one they've nailed down good is Leo and Karai- I'd prefer April and Don as best friends, dorky nerds that enjoy science and the like.

As for Casey...it's kind of the same. Since they make this kid almost devoid of any other emotion besides either indifference or totally wicked, man! it just wouldn't work that well...not in my opinion.

In the comics (more specifically IDW) I love April and Casey’s relationship. Their dynamics are great! But that has to do with the more than excellent writing and characterization that IDW comics has. On top of that Don and April’s science bros type friendship flows nicely and something that I wish they had in the show.

So, in short, it's not really the characters themselves. It's more of tthe way the relationships- friendship or not- are executed and written. And, honestly, in the show, neither relationships are all the way there yet.
The Happy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:18 PM   #32
Sumac
Banned

This feeling, when you ship an obscure ship...
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:14 AM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

These shipping names still trigger me. Why do they exist? Probably created by the younger tumblr crowd whose first exposure to TMNT is the Nick cartoon.

Back in my day we didn't use shipping names such as these, we didn't use shipping names at all!
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:00 AM   #34
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
These shipping names still trigger me. Why do they exist? Probably created by the younger tumblr crowd whose first exposure to TMNT is the Nick cartoon.

Back in my day we didn't use shipping names such as these, we didn't use shipping names at all!
Have you heard yourself? You sound like an oldman yelling at kids for stepping on his damn lawn.

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:01 AM   #35
plastroncafe

Except for the fact that portmanteau have been a fandom convention since the early 2000s.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #36
CyberCubed
Overlord

April and Casey have been a pairing since the 80's in Mirage and I've never once heard, "Capril" being a name for them until the Nick show started.

Since when did people ever refer to April/Casey back in the 80's, 90's or early 2000's by that name? I never heard it before. And I've been in the online TMNT fandom for 15 years.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #37
plastroncafe

The concept of the fandom portmanteau dates back to the early 2000s, the first FanFic.net story using it was posted in 2014.

And I'd like to point out that you've been part of THIS portion of online fandom for 15 years. That hardly makes you an expert.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-22-2016, 12:45 PM   #38
Ceres
Stone Warrior

In the nick series both pairings suck balls. Capril or the other "thing" which is called Apritello are nothing more than forced relationships with little to no real ground to stand on.

The 4kids cartoon brought the pairing CaseyxApril rather good, it was not as cringeworthy as April and Casey or Donatello and April in the nick series. It felt natural, here however it feels kind of forced. Kind of.

But maybe i am just biased against both characters in this incarnation

"Shredder, why don't you make love to me anymore?"
Ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:29 PM   #39
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
April and Casey have been a pairing since the 80's in Mirage and I've never once heard, "Capril" being a name for them until the Nick show started.

Since when did people ever refer to April/Casey back in the 80's, 90's or early 2000's by that name? I never heard it before. And I've been in the online TMNT fandom for 15 years.
Ship names are cute but annoying too. I think it is a younger crowd thing. I used to be April X Casey, for example, not an actual couple name. But TMNT is not the only one to do it, even sitcoms do it!

Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #40
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

I'd choose Casey and April just so they can both leave the turtles alone.

but really...I want to choose neither.

Tags
april o'neil, casey jones, donatello, tmnt 2012