The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What will Viacom/Nick do?
Put the TMNT as a movie property on ice for 8-10 years. 4 13.79%
Try again with a new movie in 2-4 years. 8 27.59%
No real change of course. 4 13.79%
Reevaluate the kind of TMNT they want pushed in mainstream. 5 17.24%
Learn the wrong lessons and double down on stupid in a few years/the next cartoon, etc. 11 37.93%
Look at selling off the TMNT rights. 6 20.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2023, 12:13 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederikWolferson View Post
What a scary thought.
Depending, of course.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 12:22 PM   #22
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Depending, of course.
Joking ofc. Realistically,Viacom has no reason to sell the franchise,since the real money is in toys,and shirts and so on.
FrederikWolferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 01:08 PM   #23
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Strangely enough, they want to do more TMNT yet they still have done **** all with Garfield. Over three years of ownership and hardly anything put out for him.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 01:43 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Strangely enough, they want to do more TMNT yet they still have done **** all with Garfield. Over three years of ownership and hardly anything put out for him.
There's the 2024 movie with Chris Pratt. The appearance in the Nickeoldeon Smash Up game.

Honestly, I wouldn't have minded a third Garfield movie. Were the first two really that bad? They seemed fine to me.
Old 01-09-2023, 03:51 PM   #25
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
There's the 2024 movie with Chris Pratt. The appearance in the Nickeoldeon Smash Up game.

Honestly, I wouldn't have minded a third Garfield movie. Were the first two really that bad? They seemed fine to me.
I didn't mind either of them personally. I guess A Tail of Two Kitties didn't do well enough to get a sequel.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:00 PM   #26
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Their minds are "yeah TMNT, there's no such thing as a bad version!"
This. Reddit is really the only one I look at, but they're definitely there. Some saying they think it will be a great movie. Based on what?? I can't fault innocent, if sometimes foolish, optimism, but when we've only seen a few character/concept images and nothing more? Come on.

Of course over there it's already started with the complaints that some fans dare say anything negative. Not allowed to be negative in fandoms anymore. And in this case not necessarily even being negative at this point, just valid personal critique of the designs...

I'm cautiously hopeful, but I'm not going to pretend to be blind to whatever flaws it inevitably is going to have, just like any version. If they can't take it being brought up, then they can go stick a sai where the sun don't shine.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 04:12 PM   #27
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
This. Reddit is really the only one I look at, but they're definitely there. Some saying they think it will be a great movie. Based on what?? I can't fault innocent, if sometimes foolish, optimism, but when we've only seen a few character/concept images and nothing more? Come on.

Of course over there it's already started with the complaints that some fans dare say anything negative. Not allowed to be negative in fandoms anymore. And in this case not necessarily even being negative at this point, just valid personal critique of the designs...

I'm cautiously hopeful, but I'm not going to pretend to be blind to whatever flaws it inevitably is going to have, just like any version. If they can't take it being brought up, then they can go stick a sai where the sun don't shine.
Those people are pathetic. They just have nothing better to do but damage control for everything good or bad. Anyone of those "fans" that say "Don looks adorable with glasses" need to get some glasses.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:24 PM   #28
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Right? Even as someone who has worn glasses for most of my life, seeing them STILL used for the sake of stereotypes is beyond old.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:43 PM   #29
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It seems like such a dated, tired trope. Geek One = "Let's put glasses on them!" Like the 70s and 80s.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:52 PM   #30
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:

I got downvoted to oblivion for saying that I needed them to give a story justification for Mikey’s braces, lol. Got hit with the “this is a story about mutant turtles, raised by a rat, and you need _____ to make sense?? Lolll”
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 05:00 PM   #31
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I'm not sure how I feel about all of these reboots of the Ninja Turtles saying that they're going to finally emphasize the teenage part it seems like every recent TMNT reboot has claimed this.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 05:30 PM   #32
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Likewise. And Rogen had stated it like it was something new and original when we JUST had two Nick series in a row that did it.

2012 was refreshing (to me) leaning that way. After that... I was over focusing on that part of the title. Would people drop dead if the Turtles were 20 for once? (Hell, I'd let them be their real world age of almost 40 if it were up to me. lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I got downvoted to oblivion for saying that I needed them to give a story justification for Mikey’s braces, lol. Got hit with the “this is a story about mutant turtles, raised by a rat, and you need _____ to make sense?? Lolll”
I might have seen that exchange, or a similar one. lol And agree with you. Things we can figure they did themselves, fine, but braces is pushing it since that would require an orthodontist...

Unless they do start as human. And if so... Oh no.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:30 PM   #33
Turo602
The King of Kings

I doubt they start as humans. They already got sh*t for the whole aliens thing. As much as I hate the braces, it's also not too far fetched to think that Donatello made them. I think that's the much more logical conclusion than they started as humans. Dumb design choice regardless.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:25 PM   #34
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
I doubt they start as humans. They already got sh*t for the whole aliens thing. As much as I hate the braces, it's also not too far fetched to think that Donatello made them. I think that's the much more logical conclusion than they started as humans. Dumb design choice regardless.
Donatello can’t even fix his own teeth, at least not in the 2012 series. And in the concept art for the Rogen film, he looked even worse.

Plus they’re giant mutant turtles that secretly live in the sewers; why would they want to wear braces and straighten their teeth out if they can’t be seen in public anyway? They may be green and scaly and they may smell like sewage but at least they have perfect teeth.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:57 PM   #35
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Top priorities.

Mikey of all people would also be popping those brackets right off half the time. No crazy pizza concoctions for him, will need to stick to the most basic, harmless toppings to avoid damage.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:42 PM   #36
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

2012 is the only one that did the whole "teenage" thing right. They were teenagers, yes, but they were written like realistic teenagers, and it was actually a pretty fresh take on the characters. They were all pretty consistently written most of the time, they could be funny, they could be serious when the situation called for it, and they had a lot of personality. But then suddenly everyone was like "We're gonna make them REAL teenagers!" But they're idea of "real" teenagers seems to be making them all hyperactive and quippy ALL THE TIME. It's like having four Mikeys, and it really doesn't work well.

Furthermore, the problems with design choices like glasses and braces is that little things like that break the immersion. You probably think "Oh, it's just a minor design choice, it doesn't matter." But details like that are incongruous with the world. It reminds you that your watching a movie, and experinceing a created story, rather than getting lost in it. You have to ask, how did sewer mutants get a proper perscription? How did he test for it? How did he get the glasses? And how did Mikey get braces? It requires specialized equipment and knowledge that the turtles realisically shouldn't have access to or know about in terms of being able to do it themselves. You end up with all these design elements that aren't thought out beyond "wouldn't it be neat if one turtle had ___?", and ultimately that sort of thing breaks the suspension of disbelief, especially the more details like that that start to pop up throughout the story. When none of the little details make sense, the foundation starts to crack, and the story can fall apart.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:18 PM   #37
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Well excuse you if said person can't take constructive criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
2012 is the only one that did the whole "teenage" thing right. They were teenagers, yes, but they were written like realistic teenagers, and it was actually a pretty fresh take on the characters. They were all pretty consistently written most of the time, they could be funny, they could be serious when the situation called for it, and they had a lot of personality. But then suddenly everyone was like "We're gonna make them REAL teenagers!" But they're idea of "real" teenagers seems to be making them all hyperactive and quippy ALL THE TIME. It's like having four Mikeys, and it really doesn't work well.

Furthermore, the problems with design choices like glasses and braces is that little things like that break the immersion. You probably think "Oh, it's just a minor design choice, it doesn't matter." But details like that are incongruous with the world. It reminds you that your watching a movie, and experinceing a created story, rather than getting lost in it. You have to ask, how did sewer mutants get a proper perscription? How did he test for it? How did he get the glasses? And how did Mikey get braces? It requires specialized equipment and knowledge that the turtles realisically shouldn't have access to or know about in terms of being able to do it themselves. You end up with all these design elements that aren't thought out beyond "wouldn't it be neat if one turtle had ___?", and ultimately that sort of thing breaks the suspension of disbelief, especially the more details like that that start to pop up throughout the story. When none of the little details make sense, the foundation starts to crack, and the story can fall apart.
At some point, the "Teenage" in the title just needs to drop.
Old 01-10-2023, 03:20 AM   #38
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Likewise. And Rogen had stated it like it was something new and original when we JUST had two Nick series in a row that did it.
Exactly! It's so annoying. I'm pretty sure their's only 3 versions of the Turtles that don't try to make you acknowledge that they're teenagers. So I'm not sure what Rogen is talking about.
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 02:26 PM   #39
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
You have to ask, how did sewer mutants get a proper perscription? How did he test for it? How did he get the glasses?
I could sort of accept that a near sighted Turtle might luck out and find a discarded pair that was at least an improvement, while not the true prescription he'd need, but there is still a problem in the fact that their head width isn't the same as a human's so they'd either have to be custom made or should look obviously modified to fit.

That said, if it is such a must for a Turtle to have glasses of some kind, I still feel it would have been a nicer surprise if one of the others simply had reading glasses. At home. That are seen like once. Leo the bookworm or Mikey the comic reader needing them... now that would be cute without doing it for stereotypes.