The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite Shredder helmet/facemask look?
Movie #1? 8 25.00%
Movie #2? 3 9.38%
Fred Wolf? 1 3.13%
4Kids? 12 37.50%
2014? 0 0%
2016? 0 0%
Mirage? 3 9.38%
IDW? 1 3.13%
NT:TNM? 0 0%
Image? 0 0%
TMNT 2 Supershredder? 0 0%
2012 Shredder? 3 9.38%
Rise of the TMNT Shredder? 1 3.13%
Archie Shredder? 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2023, 01:26 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

What's your favorite Shredder mask/helmet? Vote!

I guess let's focus just on the mask/helmet look and not the overall. What's your favorite Shredder mask/helmeted look? There are many to choose from.

Is it movie #1?

is it movie #2?

Is it Fred Wolf?

Is it 4Kids?

Is it 2014?

Is it 2016?

Is it Mirage?

Is it IDW?

Is it NT:TNM?

Is it the Image version?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:28 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Is it the TMNT 2 Supershredder?

Is it the 2012 Nick Shredder?

Is the Rise of the TMNT Shredder?

Is it the Archie Shredder?
Old 01-12-2023, 10:34 AM   #3
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Im partial to the SOTO helmet.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 10:44 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Im partial to the SOTO helmet.
A pity he didn't actually get to fight. Imagine if he'd, like, grabbed a Turtle and head-butted him with that thing.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:48 AM   #5
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

I vote Movie #2.

There’s just something cool about a helmet that was made out of junkyard material.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:37 AM   #6
newfan
Mad Scientist

Oh good those images save me from searching images.

Yikes. not 2014.

As of the others... preferring like archie, movie 1, mirage. IDW is okay except the cloth for the mouth.

I am an indecisive person
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:29 PM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Well I am biased towards the 4Kids depiction of the Helmet/Mask, though I doubt anyone would say Ch'rell's whole design isn't stylish as hell. I'm also pretty fond of IDW's depiction.

As for the ugliest, well... SotO and TNM are really ugly looking. The helmet is pretty ugly in the first movie but at least it doesn't have those dumb saw teeth and looks like a real helmet, not just a movie prop.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 10:29 AM   #8
D-ray
Foot Soldier

The 4Kids one is the best to me, as it's very aggressive (but not too much like the 2014 one) and completely hides his face, making him less expressive (an un-expressive/hidden face usually draws more intimidation towards people).

VICTORY!"
D-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 04:19 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I find it almost impossible to believe that this design was conceived by an actual TMNT fan. Of any incarnation, pick any one. There's no way.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:43 PM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
https://i.ibb.co/4FGvn7g/teenage-mut...-75pn-1280.jpg

I find it almost impossible to believe that this design was conceived by an actual TMNT fan. Of any incarnation, pick any one. There's no way.
Forget TMNT fans, no one with any sense of aesthetics would approve of this Swiss Army Knife bullshit. Seriously, samurai helmet with some clawed gauntlets with maybe a ninja garb instead of armor, how hard is that to get right?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 11:52 PM   #11
Sumac
Banned

All cloth masked Shredders are disqualified immediately. Shredder, in my mind, should wear a metal mask, one way or the other. As for which I like the best, hm...

Movies masks, look weirdly oversized and more like a muzzle than a mask. Helmet in the first movie looks slick, but iron bars were kind of strange. Second movie made it overly aggressive, but I like patch work on the helmet. And in general it looks more tight and compact.

FW helmet / mask are iconic and simple. I like it - elegance in simplicity. Or vice-versa. Probably a bit too simple, but sometimes its all design really needs. Also, it easy to draw as a kid.

Never was fun of helmet / mask in 2k3. It makes Shredder's head look weirdly elongated, like its squished from the sides. At least when you look at it from the front. In general, I am not a fan of the Shredder's design in 2k3. Too much metal, too little color.

New movies are some generic iron garbage. I can't understand what it looks like and it could have been mask of a generic Power Rangers villain or some B-movie robot.

Mirage mask is...eh...its a bit too simple. And looks weird without going up to nose. It looks like its about to fall off from the face.

NT mask is...interesting. I hate that mask is a part of the helmet and overall construction looks too big. Make it slimmer and disconnect mask and helmet and you get something nice. Probably.

Image is good for a turtle, not so much for a regular Shredder.

Super Shredder's mask is extremely awkward looking, bordering on a stupid. Not a fan.

2k12 too stylized.

Rise - WTF is that garbage?

Archie - meh.

So, I guess, second movie design. I have my gripes with it, but it wins in terms of being cool-looking and compact, yet not overly complicated and neither simple.

Last edited by Sumac; 01-14-2023 at 12:08 AM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 12:17 AM   #12
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Probably the first movie mask. Something about it just looks awesome. Took me a while to get used to the grill at first, but I figured it was because the actor had to breathe somehow.

Least favorite is of course, the Bay movie versions and New Mutation versions. The Image comics Shredder helmet looked like a 'Football Touchdown Shredder' toy variant Playmates might have come up with. IDK what Raph was thinking.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 12:33 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I like the practicality of the cloth facemask within a metal helmet but of course I like the look of a metal one instead. Logically, a metal facemask with no grill or anything, you would have breathing problems and you couldn't really talk.
Old 01-14-2023, 01:35 AM   #14
Meow
Stone Warrior

Voted movie #2 because also to me this is THE turtles movie and did not only come at the right time in my young age back then but also left a full feature impression - the helmet also counting in on that.

For me, a shredder has to have something intimidating, something menacing. The comics in my opinion never did that, the original movies totally did, especially when he turns into super shredder and let's not forget how the 4k show delivered perfectly on that.

So in my opinion 4k shredder is a real boss shredder but, if you ask me, doesn't come with a helmet as interesting as those from movie #1 or movie #2. No matter if m1 or m2 the helmet looks and design fit so much into the overall visual set design they went for, making them helmets I prefer to look at. Helmet sides in m1 look more like woven while the m2 design looking like made from metal scrap parts with all its tiles sometimes looking like they are coming off. The top in m1 looks beautifully polished, however I didn't mind the razor edges for the m2 helmet as kind of prop evolution. The thing I liked the most back then as a kid about this helmet - and still do - was the front/mouth part. It totally mixes with the style of the actual helmet and for me it was a perfect idea to go with a metal frame and have some kind of grid between them. Not for a specific reason I found it a perfect idea, just because it looks damn f*cking awesome and impressive.

Also: All cloth mask helmets are dq'ed for me too.

The newer movies? lmao big time, all I see is transformer shredders, just like it's been said here already: "iron garbage" and "swiss army knife bs"

Mirage/FW/Archie: Besides being almost boring, they are simple and originals I'll accept the way they are.

2012 animated series is what it is: some animated stuff, boring.

Rise of tmnt: Omfg, somebody actually tried to "comicify" skeletor from the 1987 movie after he turns golden x´D

Image: What is this?

NT:TNM: Seriously, this looks like an attempt of a 90ies kids tv show creator trying to introduce mobile telephony to the kids where shredder has been given the largest antenna of them all since he's got ... connectivity issues ...... -facepalm- And maybe there was some silver nissan or toyota sponsoring going on too
Old 01-16-2023, 07:26 PM   #15
Prowler
Emperor

Most of them are fine in their own way and fit their version of the character well. I like FW, Mirage, Movie 1 and 2k3 all for different reasons. I'm gonna vota for 2k3 though. Just makes him look badass as menacing.

Also, jesus, is that what Shredder looks like in Rise? That's supposed to be Shredder? Looks like ****.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:02 PM   #16
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

I'm tired, so I'll just say this:

I think the 2003 helmet has the perfect blend of symmetry and intimidation, while still following the classic design and looking practical.

I have always hated the 1990's helmet. From the front, it's at least passable, but I never like the grate on the front, and always thought it was way too large, extending way to far behind him. Frankly, it looks ridiculous.

I have varying opinions on the rest but my opinions are nothing special.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:27 AM   #17
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
I'm partial to Mirage, 1990 and 4Kids.

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 05:36 PM   #18
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

The 1990's Shredder mask still remains my favorite.

The SotO Shredder mask has some neat details that I didn't notice at first.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 07:12 PM   #19
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

I have a genuine question, posed at anyone who thinks the 1990's helmet looks good:

Why do you think it looks good? What specifically do you like about it?

I just don't get it. I've always thought that that helmet looked stupid and ridiculous, but I constantly see other people praise it whenever the movie comes up. So I'd be curious to hear the specific talking points in favor of the helmet.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:18 AM   #20
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

MY best helmet is the 2012 helmet!