The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 01-16-2023, 06:48 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

2013 was a decade ago... what games were you playing at the time?

2013 was the year I got regularly back into gaming after the 2009-2012 period where I could go weeks without gaming at all. By joining Steam in late 2012, I was able to play several games I didn't have the chance to play on the Wii, which was my latest console at that point.

Well I tried out lots of games in 2013, but the ones I've spent the most time on were Deus EX: Human Revolution, Sleeping Dogs and Sid Meier's Civilization IV. All very good and fun games for different reasons. I remember I bought Deus Ex HR for a ridiculous price. Like 1,90 euro or whatever. Crazy low price for a game that was barely a year old at that point. Probably the best deal ever, really.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:45 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite and Dishonored.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:54 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite and Dishonored.
I still need to play Skyrim. Debating wehtehr I should get the Switch port or not considering it doesn't have mods and mods are a big part of the game, from what I've heard.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:09 PM   #4
Dpooly84
Banned

Fresh out of prison lol. I bought a ps3 and got caught up on assassin creed, and Deadpool ironically it's where my gamer tag came from D-Pooly
Dpooly84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:29 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Looks like that's the year Grand Theft Auto 5 came out. So that, a lot of that. Final Fantasy XIV Online as well, but I didn't stick around very long. Last of Us 1 came out that year but I didn't play it until like 2 years ago.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:54 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Looks like that's the year Grand Theft Auto 5 came out. So that, a lot of that. Final Fantasy XIV Online as well, but I didn't stick around very long. Last of Us 1 came out that year but I didn't play it until like 2 years ago.
Wasn't that the FF game that got a lot of negative reception?
Old 01-16-2023, 10:15 PM   #7
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

XCom Enemy Unknown/Within,Starcraft 2
FrederikWolferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:34 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Wasn't that the FF game that got a lot of negative reception?
XIV? Naw. And people are still playing it across the world. Even has current gen versions, and crossplay with PC gamers. Japanese players too, like FF XI. I just couldn't get into it because I'd already spent years building up my character and completing hundreds of quests and missions in FF XI Online. I couldn't fathom doing it again, or somehow playing both simultaneously. I also would refuse to get sucked in like that again.

Probably you're thinking of FF XIII. With Lightning. Got a lot of flak for just the endless "running down a corridor" aspect. Rightly so, that was stupid. But I dug the story and FF XIII-2 was great. Chrono Trigger-like in the time traveling. I never got far into FF XIII-3 Lightning Returns but I still mean to. If you buy the digital versions of the FF XIII series on X-Box One or Series X it actually let's you play super upscale versions that look great even today.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 02:32 PM   #9
Turo602
The King of Kings

Started the year finishing up my 2nd playthrough of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 on hard mode. Then I played through Assassin's Creed: Revelations which I wish I enjoyed more than I did because the story and ending in particular is hands down one of my favorites in gaming. Wasn't much of a fan of the weird tower defense stuff they introduced in this one and the first-person modern day platforming sequences were just awful. Next up was Gears of War: Judgment which I also found a bit underwhelming for its repetitive structure. I also played through Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time on PS3.

It was around this time in March when I broke my hand. Playing video games became a bit difficult but doable with some adjustment and breaks in between sessions. The 2 games I remember playing with a broken hand were the Tomb Raider reboot, which is still one of my favorite games and Resident Evil 4 HD. I don't know how, but even with a broken hand I managed to do all the stupid shooting gallery sections in RE4 to get all the bottle caps which was already difficult before.

After this, I mistakenly played through both God of War: Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparda back to back because I was under the impression both games were prequels to part 1, which I hadn't played yet, and only recently after having played part 1 and 2 did I learn Ghost of Sparda takes place between 1 and 2. Then I played through Assassin's Creed 3 which would be the last Assassin's Creed game I'd play for years. Around August, I had started playing the GTA IV expansion The Ballad of Gay Tony and then my 360's power brick crapped out and I had to order a new one.

So while my 360 was out of commission, I decided to jump onto my PS3 and start burning through some of those games, starting with Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception which for me personally is the best in the trilogy even though everyone swears it's Uncharted 2. My friend had also raved about Devil May Cry all throughout high school so I played through the trilogy on PS3 and really loved how much the first one reminded me of classic Resident Evil, which in 2013, was quite a refreshing experience.

On Wii U I got through Super Luigi U with my brother but back on PS3 I played Heavenly Sword, which I found a little bland. I was also really into the Metal Gear Solid V hype around this time, having played through the Twin Snakes on Gamecube the year before sometime after the Ground Zeroes trailer. So this year I got through Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater back to back and I don't know WTF happened because I haven't made any progress getting through the series since. But with A Link Between Worlds on the horizon, I decided to finally play through A Link to the Past via the Gameboy Player on Gamecube.

Now that my 360 was back in action, I wrapped up The Ballad of Gay Tony, got through Dead Rising 2: Case West with my brother and then Spider-Man: Edge of Time, which is very underrated. Not quite as diverse as Shattered Dimensions, but the story is definitely better. I then returned to Resident Evil 4, this time on Professional difficulty and jumped straight into the HD port of Resident Evil: Revelations right after. I had also been getting really nostalgic for The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap which I had on my 3DS as part of the ambassadors program and then I finished the year off with a hard mode playthrough of Bayonetta.
Old 01-17-2023, 02:35 PM   #10
frank_one
Mad Scientist

2013? A lot of NES and SNES games through emulators.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 04:45 PM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Most likely whichever version of Street Fighter 4 was out at the time, Injustice Gods Among us, DOA5 Ultimate and KOF XIII.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 05:19 PM   #12
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

When I read the title, I thought this was a Cubed thread.

I mostly played 3DS games like Pokemon X and Y. My game of the year was between that and Batman Arkham Origins.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 07:50 PM   #13
Sumac
Banned

Contra series, Battletoads series, Batman Arkham series, Vanquish, a lot of WOW, Killer Instinct, some of other stuff.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:12 PM   #14
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I was playing a lot of 3DS at that point in time. Mario 3D Land and A Link Between Worlds.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:17 PM   #15
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

Played a lot on my 3DS. 2013 was a great year for it. Also played a lot of the Valve games on Steam, but mostly TF2 and L4D2.
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 01:35 PM   #16
Storm Eagle
Saved by

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD came out that year, and it was even bundled with the Wii U. So I got that bundle when it came out. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds also came out for the 3DS, and I got that.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote