The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto Jedi View Post
...It didn't?
You're joking, right?

Anyone who thinks a new mutant popped up in every episode of the OT clearly hasn't watched it in years.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #22
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
...It didn't?
it was more of a 'new plan to get power for the Technodrome every week'. There were tons of episodes of the Turtles just fighting Shredder, Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady without throwing in some new action figure based character in it. IMO, I always welcomed the new mutants cause it made things new and interesting.

I do think that we won't be seeing many of the old crew with the possible exceptions of Leatherhead, Rat King (not a mutant but a villian) and maybe Slash... but it seems they're having too much fun creating all sorts of wild and wacky new monsters for them to ever bring back Bebop, Rocksteady or say... Mondo Gecko.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

That's my problem, a lot of these new mutants they're creating just don't seem as memorable or well designed as the classics.

I'd rather see Rahzar show up than Dogpound...
Old 10-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #24
zkarlette
Fashionably late

Snake weed is definitely coming back and he looked rather cool , so I don't have a problem with this while they keep the characters interesting and cool looking.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #25
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Stinkweed (that's his name, right, and not Snakeweed, like Mikey called him?) was great. Fishface looks rad from what we've seen of the toys. It would be cool to see Bebop and Rocksteady re-tooled and re-imagined in CG, but it really isn't necessary.

We've already got Baxter Stockman coming up, Karai, The Kraang, Shredder, and Casey Jones in season 2. I think that's plenty.
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #26
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

^It is Snakeweed. Leo probably misprounced it on purpose.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #27
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Stinkweed (that's his name, right, and not Snakeweed, like Mikey called him?) was great. Fishface looks rad from what we've seen of the toys. It would be cool to see Bebop and Rocksteady re-tooled and re-imagined in CG, but it really isn't necessary.

We've already got Baxter Stockman coming up, Karai, The Kraang, Shredder, and Casey Jones in season 2. I think that's plenty.
Don't forget, Metalhead, General Traag, and the Purple Dragons. Plus the producers said the Triceratons might show up in season 2.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #28
Ninja Tiptup
Mad Scientist

My biggest concern would be running out of ideas for how mutation occurs. A lot of them will be accidents but maybe some will be forced and others voluntary.

I've got this creeping feeling that April's dad is going to get mutated at some point.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #29
dkram230
Stone Warrior

A "mutant of the week" formula would get old. I don't like too many mutants running around because it makes the turtles seem less unique. The same thing happened in Smallville season 1 with "meteor freak of the week" and it got old fast. Luckily the writing shifted in season 2 and the series had a successful run. That being said, both shows have different target audiences and perhaps the age demographic of 5-11 would be more entertained with a "mutant of the week" formula. I hope not though, because that would probably lose me as a viewer like the Fast Forward series did.

With regards to the 80's series, I've been re-watching though them and am roughly 25 episodes in. Yes there are a few new mutants here and there, but that is not the premise of EVERY episode. I would say they have a nice mixture of mutants, aliens, monsters, and robots LOL!

And one thing a lot of people tend to forget is just because Playmates comes out with a TMNT action figure does not mean that character is going to appear in the show. At least not in the immediate future. Now I haven't read any synopsis', but unless it's confirmed in one of them, it's possible that Dogpound and Fishface are only figures at the moment. A number of the original action figures never appeared in the show, or were used as inspiration for characters in future episodes.
dkram230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #30
1984TMNT
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
About the only flaw for this show I could see happening is a very repetitive, "mutant of the week" type show where the Turtles come across a new mutant they must battle every episode ala Snakeweed.

We already know about Dogpound and Fishface, but already from the previews and episode summaries they're basing whole episodes around introducing new mutants.

Episode 3 has them introducing a guy who eventually becomes that black spider blob mutant seen in the previews, and one of the following episode titles is, "Monkey Business," which very likely introduces that mutant monkey we saw Don fighting in another preview.

I really, really hope the show doesn't get stuck in a rut of just throwing new mutants at the Turtles ever week, and that's IMO my only possible fear for this show as it progresses. We already know about a number of mutant characters coming, but I hope the show finds some way to work them in that's actually done well.
I couldn't agree more, man. I love everything so far, but am not excited about a ton of mutants. Hope they figure out a way to make this show entertaining without hordes of mutants. With every new mutant, I feel like the TMNT become a little less special.

1984TMNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #31
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkram230 View Post
Now I haven't read any synopsis', but unless it's confirmed in one of them, it's possible that Dogpound and Fishface are only figures at the moment.
They're in the opening sequence...

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #32
X
Stone Warrior

That's one aspect I missed during the 2k3 run. It lacked a lot of characters that could have made for fun toys.

One thing I always looked forward to as a kid, was getting home and watching the newest episode of TMNT. I would always cross my fingers that some of my favorite toys would show up, which they did in time.

I want this show to have the comedy and mutants, which lead to lots of toys, like the OT, but with the action and storytelling of the 2k3 series. That there would translate into the best TMNT series yet.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

Where on earth do people get the idea the original cartoon was "mutant of the week?"

Out of 193 episodes, we have new mutants introduced in maybe 30% of the shows total episodes.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #34
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Indeed, a "Krang and Shredder need _________ to repower the Technodrome" plot is more likely than a new mutant plot.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Indeed, a "Krang and Shredder need _________ to repower the Technodrome" plot is more likely than a new mutant plot.
Arguably we had new robots showing up more than new mutants. Possibly aliens too.

And mad scientists.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #36
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Don't forget mobsters.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #37
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

It is too early to say if this is a concern or not. we have seen episode titles... that's about it. i agree that would be rather lazy and tiresome.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #38
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
It is too early to say if this is a concern or not. we have seen episode titles... that's about it. i agree that would be rather lazy and tiresome.
We already know of a spider mutant, Monkey mutant, Dogpound, Fishface and Leatherhead to come.

That's in addition to Snakeweed, and I suspect we'll be seeing the likes of Slash eventually too.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #39
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Where on earth do people get the idea the original cartoon was "mutant of the week?"
Peter Laird.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Peter Laird.
And he hasn't actually watched the OT in about 20 years. I'm pretty sure he also said he didn't watch much after Season 3.

Tags
2k12, nick, speculation