The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #21
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Thanks DT!

First spoiler tag point -- Thanks! Things will change though. Lauren is an important piece in my mind... there's already a story with her coming back ready for next year, as long as it can be fit into the schedule.

Number 2 -- Yeah, I'm a huge, huge fan of the Boosh, but I grew up on steady doses of Steve Purcell, Gary Larson and Monty Python, so sense of humor is slightly along those bizarre lines to begin with. Though I find few things more hilarious than the Moon or Tony Harrison.

3 -- That's good! I wanted King Cobra to give off a vibe like that.

4 -- HAHA! Again, it wasn't intended, but it's cool that people are digging it. I swear I thought I yanked it out and changed it. I think it was changed to Addison...

5 -- Easter eggs!
Old 06-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #22
discordiatookie
facehugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanHuwJones View Post
4 -- HAHA! Again, it wasn't intended, but it's cool that people are digging it. I swear I thought I yanked it out and changed it. I think it was changed to Addison...
You think Berger put it back in there?

Hoorah, hoorah for the Mighty Boosh! You ever seen Garth Marenghi's Darkplace? I swear that it is one've the greatest tv programmes ever made.

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Really liked the issue but didn't love it. It's got some of the ingredients of the superior #36, #50, and #56 and I appreciate Tristan trying something new from a narrative/storytelling standpoint, but I just didn't find myself all that invested in Lauren or her story... and this issue kind of stakes everything on that.

Which isn't to say there isn't great moments in here. The fighting is as visceral as ever, real people dialogue, and Harmon's art is as good as ever (though I wasn't quite prepared for how he renders some of the bright, office sequences... they're still good, and look quite Rick Veitch-like). Like seeing the double-katana over the one shoulder... now that's proper-like!

King Cobra seems like an interesting bad guy but we don't get much of him here aside from intrigue that may or may not pay off later. Hun pretty much just gets a little bit of additional buildup and a cameo.

Is the Pennington thing the thing you guys were talking about?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:36 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Dan. The only bleeped words were sh!t and f#ck on my end.
Was that a "bitch" censored on page 13? Seems an odd censor if so... that's well within the realm of PG-13 territory by any stretch of the imagination. Especially since "ass" and "pussy" appear here and uncensored.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #25
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Really liked the issue but didn't love it. It's got some of the ingredients of the superior #36, #50, and #56 and I appreciate Tristan trying something new from a narrative/storytelling standpoint, but I just didn't find myself all that invested in Lauren or her story... and this issue kind of stakes everything on that.

Which isn't to say there isn't great moments in here. The fighting is as visceral as ever, real people dialogue, and Harmon's art is as good as ever (though I wasn't quite prepared for how he renders some of the bright, office sequences... they're still good, and look quite Rick Veitch-like). Like seeing the double-katana over the one shoulder... now that's proper-like!

King Cobra seems like an interesting bad guy but we don't get much of him here aside from intrigue that may or may not pay off later. Hun pretty much just gets a little bit of additional buildup and a cameo.

Is the Pennington thing the thing you guys were talking about?
Glad you dug it man. Didn't have to love it, liking it is enough. As I said, it's a piece of a bigger puzzle. So long as you like the pieces, hopefully you'll love the puzzle once it's done. That said, things are looking slim for next year, and I know that Cobra and Hun will both be back in #64, but beyond that no-one knows. I just put in the four stories that will keep this one going, but it's hard to say what'll happen. If you want to see more, make sure you write into Dan and post over on Pete's message boards to let them know. I've been hearing that the communication between Mirage and the fans has been less and less these days (hence the lack of a letters section in Tales anymore) so let them know what you think!

And yeah, the Pennington thing is the thing that is the thingy thing.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
That said, things are looking slim for next year, and I know that Cobra and Hun will both be back in #64
Let me ask you this: if #64 is the last time we ever see them or visit your storylines... does it provide a somewhat satisfactory conclusion to the whole shebang?
Old 06-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #27
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Nnnnoot really. Actually, if anything, **** kicks into high gear on the last page of that story... well, the whole issue is pretty high gear, but in terms of the larger story, the big decision is made there, and every story I pitched -- while a self contained story in its own right -- shows the fallout from that. I'm talking really going for the throat tactics start being employed from Burning Man onwards, but that's provided stories are able to fit into next year's schedule. And even then, things are only planned up until May, and I know Dan, Jim, Murph and Jake all have stories in there too.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 AM   #28
trustno1
Foot Soldier

i finally got my copy of this and the archie trade. i liked it but not as much as 56. the progression from that story was nice but i would have liked to see more turtles in there.i hope that we get to see all these new characters some more next year.
trustno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #29
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

This was an awesome issue, Tristan! Mike was truly badass.

Why oh why can't you write a whole volume of the comics?
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #30
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
This was an awesome issue, Tristan!
Thanks

Quote:
Mike was truly badass.
Wait 'til November.

Quote:
Why oh why can't you write a whole volume of the comics?
I can. I just need to be allowed to
Old 07-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #31
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Wait 'til November.
But ... that's so long!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #32
Ninjinister
無問題

Well, exactly one week to the day, I finally got my hands on it. Seriously, what's up with that?

I liked it. It fits well in the pantheon of Jones' stories that focus on someone other than the Turtles. A few stray thoughts...

-King Cobra didn't really do much of anything other than look menacing. Anything in the foreseeable future for him that's more... telling?
-Lauren's bookmarks... took me a second readthrough to find them. What, no Technodrome?
-Now that the Addison-to-be has been stuck in as Pennington, he should show up in Vol. 4, balding and with glasses
-The only thing that bugged me... this issue doesn't keep some characters' name straight at all! Is it Paul Whitmire or Steven Whitmire? Lin Takahashi or Lin Koyobashi?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #33
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
-King Cobra didn't really do much of anything other than look menacing. Anything in the foreseeable future for him that's more... telling?
Last page of #64 sets up exactly where he fits in and what his, Hun's, Lin's and a few other new characters' intentions are. Unfortunately, it's not looking like I'll be writing anything until after May, provided Tales continues past that, which is uncertain/unlikely.

Quote:
-Lauren's bookmarks... took me a second readthrough to find them. What, no Technodrome?
It's the homepage

Quote:
-Now that the Addison-to-be has been stuck in as Pennington, he should show up in Vol. 4, balding and with glasses
Knowing Pete, it's unlikely... really unlikely, but it's not hard to change back to Addison. Pennington was fired the day before and Addison moved in

Quote:
-The only thing that bugged me... this issue doesn't keep some characters' name straight at all! Is it Paul Whitmire or Steven Whitmire? Lin Takahashi or Lin Koyobashi?
The Lin thing is a goof on my part and actually kinda spoils a plot thread I had lined up for her down the track. I don't think we ever actually called Paul Steven anywhere though, because that's the dude who took over for Jim on Kermit. There's Steven Welsh, the bent copper doing the Black Magic in the club...
Old 07-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #34
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
I don't think we ever actually called Paul Steven anywhere though, because that's the dude who took over for Jim on Kermit. There's Steven Welsh, the bent copper doing the Black Magic in the club...
Page 21, where Lauren is looking at the newspaper article. It shows Lt. Gordon Miller and Det. Steven Whitmire.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:15 AM   #35
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
Page 21, where Lauren is looking at the newspaper article. It shows Lt. Gordon Miller and Det. Steven Whitmire.
Dang! Good eyes there dude, even I didn't pick up on that one... chalk it up to a subconscious goof on my behalf (I'm a puppeteer remember!)... or bad journalism on behalf of whatever newsrag it is she's reading there...

I'll have to add it to the notes in case it ever gets collected...

You gonna be at SDCC?
Old 07-18-2009, 01:42 AM   #36
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Dang! Good eyes there dude, even I didn't pick up on that one... chalk it up to a subconscious goof on my behalf (I'm a puppeteer remember!)... or bad journalism on behalf of whatever newsrag it is she's reading there...
Ha ha. Well, I credit my attention to this twofold:
1) Training for my line of work - high attention to detail
2) Steven is my given name
Quote:
I'll have to add it to the notes in case it ever gets collected...
.... one could only hope.

Quote:
You gonna be at SDCC?
Nah man. Wish I could, but no.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:14 AM   #37
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I FINALLY got around to reading this one! Really good story with nice little homages to boot. I actually like this better than #56 from both an artistic and storytelling perspective. It just feels like a more complete and well paced story.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:12 AM   #38
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Thanks dude, I'm really proud of #56, but I do agree that #59 is a more structurally sound, standalone book. As soon as I heard it might be the last time I work with Paul on Tales, I made a real effort to try and make it something a bit different from his side as well (hence why I did the layouts as well). #59 was actually the first of the stories I completed for this year, with #56 being the last, so I think #59, #61 and #64 all stand on their own legs as done-in-ones better. I think (well, hope...) the strength of #56 leans more towards the character development than the actual structure of the story, because in my mind it's one of those "instigator" Tales. Not a lot happens, but the carry-on of what actually does happen is just as important as those few moments in the book itself.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:29 AM   #39
BigApple3AM
Mad Scientist

I've been out of state, out of the big (though somewhat modest for 6 months) stack of comics this was the first I read. I probably just ruined all the comics that I'll read afterwards but I couldn't wait.

#1 Charles Pennington. Awesome.
#2 We need a trade of just the Tristan/Paul issues
#3 That trade needs to kick off a new series only done by the above 2 creators

Two thumbs up. I'm enjoying these issues more than anything else TMNT coming out at the moment (or in the last 6 years).

Now what the hell is up with "this might be the last issue?" Is Paul Harmon leaving or what's going on?
BigApple3AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:00 AM   #40
PAAATE
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ectocooler View Post
Now what the hell is up with "this might be the last issue?" Is Paul Harmon leaving or what's going on?
Tales is possibly cancelled next summer

Tags
comic discussion, tales of the tmnt