The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 11-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #1
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Brian Michael Bendis moves from Marvel to DC

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/11/07/b...dis-dc-comics/

Quote:
"We are beyond thrilled to welcome BrianMichaelBendis exclusively to the DC family with a multiyear, multi-faceted deal," DC's statement reads. "He's one of the premier writers in the industry, having created so many unforgettable stories wherever he's been and we can't wait to see what he has planned for the DC Universe."

Bendis confirmed the news, retweeting the DC Comics announcement.

"This is real," Bendis tweeted. "I love you all. Change is good. Change is healthy. I am bursting with ideas and inspirations. Details to come! Stay tuned!"
This is an interesting development. I wonder if he got tired of all the editorial drama at the House of Ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Maybe he was ticked off at the push to bring Tony back since he was writing Riri Williams?

Wonder if this means Mary Jane can go back to the Spider-Man comics also? (though the prospect of her being used by Slott again fills me with dread)
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:04 AM   #3
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Huh. I wonder what he'll be writing.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:48 AM   #4
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Some details on the real reasons Bendis left the company

-His books weren't selling as well
-All of his close friends had long departed
-He did not agree with the "diversity doesn't sell" comments from David Gabrielle
-Marvel are planning to take Miles book away from the character and make it yet another book starring Peter in 2018.
-DC offered him a position working on their movies

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...vel-dc-comics/
Old 11-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
AquaParade
Banned

I'm a big fan of Brian Bendis, for his work on Ultimate Spider-Man and Daredevil, if not his recent output. And Congratulations to him, but the big news here is Marvel comics. After a rough few years since Since the end of Secret Wars, the public engagement blunders (diversity comments, fan-creator relationships via twitter), and event-backlash from fans, this is just the worst time for them to lose someone like Bendis.

A well respected and liked guy like Brian, well, you can bet he's going to have some influence on his current Marvel colleagues. I wouldnt' be surprised to see more writers and artists jump from Marvel to D.C. in the next year or so. Whenever contracts expire. Marvel is in deep doo-doo lately. They need a serious overhaul of editorial or upper-mgmt. What else can be said at this point?

As for D.C. - another major win. Between the fan-favorite Rebirth launch, well received event "Metal", the more niche pop-up imprints like Young Animal and Wildstorm, and the return/acquisition of talent such as Grant Morrison and our new friend, Brian Michael Bendis, D.C. is really going all out. It's as if they woke up one morning and decided "hey, let's actually try and make the greatest damn comics possible in today's industry" and set out to do it. I'm along for the ride.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I've never read any of this guy's stuff but I've heard nothing but bad things about his work from people whose opinions I value. He sounds like a hack, formerly the Marvel equivalent of Geoff Johns but even worse. And now DC has two Geoff Johns.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #7
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I've never read any of this guy's stuff but I've heard nothing but bad things about his work from people whose opinions I value. He sounds like a hack, formerly the Marvel equivalent of Geoff Johns but even worse. And now DC has two Geoff Johns.
His Ultimate Spider-Man and Daredevil runs were truly special comic book runs. I haven’t enjoyed anything from him in years, but he does have his strengths. I think it may be more of a Marvel problem in recent years than a Bendis problem, when it comes to his lack of quality work.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #9
AquaParade
Banned

The dark side of me wants to watch current Marvel Editorial burn. I love Marvel comics but you just don't get the feeling they respect the fans over there.

I know they have to deal with a lot of crazy, unreasonable fans, but I'm not one of them, so I find it pretty upsetting the way they will lie to/disrespect the fanbase.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #10
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/11/07/b...dis-dc-comics/

This is an interesting development. I wonder if he got tired of all the editorial drama at the House of Ideas.
I did a double take when I saw this thinking it was an April's Fool's Joke not on April 1st to allow it to work. Mr. Marvel of the Modern Age goes to DC. Both of the companies have corruption and drama. Dan Didio will not retire for one thing.

I wonder what caused this and what assignments he will be given to start this deal.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #11
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I've read plenty of his work. He can be hit or miss, but he has talent, it's just that he has too many of his tics or quirks, so he can occasionally put out work that feels immediately like a Bendis comic, if that makes any sense at all. Still, dude deserves a lot of credit for Ultimate Spider-Man, which for a long time pre-BND was the Spider-Man comic to read if you wanted something consistently good and everyone and their grandmother loves his Daredevil run. What I've read of his stint with X-Men was really good too and the only reason I stopped bothering is because they apparently cut it short for a return to "OMG EXTINCTION IS NIGH" that didn't work out anyway. His long time with the Avengers was a peaks and valleys situation, but lets not kid ourselves; his approach, as well as fielding a team of Avengers that was the undeniable A list of Marvel heroes, saw them actually become the team franchise for Marvel when they were always just kind of the B team.

Still, losing him is going to hurt, because he's one of the last names they had left. Now it's down to Jason Aaron, who has been my favorite writer in Marvels stable for YEARS, and mainstays like Mark Waid. At one point, it seemed like Marvel had all the up and coming stars in comics, but that's slowly shifted with most of them leaving, Bendis going to DC, rumors Hickman will be following him after being out of Marvel for a couple years, the new guys at DC and the younger guns of Marvel not quite able to carry the company on their back yet like the names that left.

They lost Bendis to the competition at a time they really couldn't afford to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Johnathan Hickman has been offered a contract

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...fer-dc-comics/
I would actually be really stoked for that. Hickman goes big and crazy. Perfect for DC. I love that sort of stuff anyway, which probably explains my love for the work of Grant Morrison.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #12
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Bendis is definitely talented, especially with the more street-level characters, but I feel his overall output has gone downhill the more of a workload he's taken on. He's a huge name at Marvel, he's often writing 6 or more titles a month, and he's bounced around between almost all of their properties and it hasn't always been the best fit. Marvel got very reliant on Bendis to carry their line, and it increasingly hasn't been to his or Marvel's benefit.

Civil War II was especially abysmal, and even compared to his weaker work, it felt like his heart wasn't in it. I don't even blame him necessarily -- the thing reeked of cynical, forced movie synergy, and it came at a time when the fans were especially sick of "heroes fighting each other" events. I find the alleged clashing with David Gabriel interesting, too -- Gabriel's the "diversity doesn't sell" guy, and I'm almost certain Bendis would take issue with that. (And if you look at the timing of Marvel's recent sales downturn, I'd attribute it to CW2 backlash and event/tie-in fatigue more than anything.)

Last edited by Bry; 11-08-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #13
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Marvel got very reliant on Bendis to carry their line, and it increasingly hasn't been to his or Marvel's benefit.
It seemed to hit its peak when Marvel started losing its "architects". Once guys like Matt Fraction, Kieron Gillen and Johnathan Hickman started leaving, it seemed like they turned to Bendis to pick up the slack and, I mean, realistically there's only so much you can do without quality suffering.

Quote:
I find the alleged clashing with David Gabriel interesting, too -- Gabriel's the "diversity doesn't sell" guy, and I'm almost certain Bendis would take issue with that. (And if you look at the timing of Marvel's recent sales downturn, I'd attribute it to CW2 backlash and event/tie-in fatigue more than anything.)
I've been saying for a while that it seemed like the bottom was dropping out from under them in regards to events. They've simply relied on them too much, to diminishing returns, and the entire line has been weaker as a result. This on top of the fact that relying on constant relaunches seems to have broken the collectors habit in a fair number of people - which comics RELY on to some extent - because Marvel's been making each volume feel so short that number ones mean nothing now and no comic ever actually sticks around, so why should the reader care? I think it's generally that the world is less interesting right now too, though. They lost a lot of big idea writers and the buzz went with them, plus it's felt like the only story Marvel has in the tank right now is the "replacement hero".

But they're never going to admit that, because it's essentially admitting that they've been cannibalizing themselves for years. Scapegoats are easier. Either way, they need to snap up some promising independent comic voices again, like they did before, and see what they can cultivate before things get bad.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:22 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
and mainstays like Mark Waid.
I'll never understand DC alienating Mark Waid, and all the old guard of his caliber that DC was all too happy to replace with Geoff Johns' frat boy friends and various TV hacks. Dude is awesome. A long time ago I watched Mark Waid come to the mic at ECCC under the guise of being "just a fan" and went to the mic to ask Geoff Johns an honest question about "Will we ever see Pol Manning, the alter ego again of Hal's seen in the 58th century in the earlier comics" and Geoff was just so smarmy, so sanctimonious to him it was sickening. Geoff isn't fit to carry Waid's jock strap, as a writer or a thinker or anything else.

Quote:
I love that sort of stuff anyway, which probably explains my love for the work of Grant Morrison.
Morrison can do no wrong, really.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:38 PM   #15
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I'll never understand DC alienating Mark Waid, and all the old guard of his caliber that DC was all too happy to replace with Geoff Johns' frat boy friends and various TV hacks.
Not sure why they kind of edged him out. He'd been with them for twenty years and wrote some damn fine comics. Perhaps that's part of it; he was an old hand and the mid aughts to the early tens were about the newer wave, only Marvel ended up snapping most of those guys up too. I wonder, occasionally, if Waid will go back at some point. His love for DC and its properties runs deep. Especially Superman.

Quote:
Morrison can do no wrong, really.
Pretty much. He's my favorite comic writer, full stop. I don't think I've read anything from him I didn't like (but I haven't read his entire bibliography, since he's done a lot of stuff over the years). I think the weakest of all the things I've read is maybe Joe the Barbarian, which isn't to say it's even bad. It just felt like it lacked a little flair, maybe. Still, it was a fun little fantasy thing, and is probably the easiest of his work to ever recommend along with WE3, just because it's so straightforward.

I also like Gerard Way, one of his friends, too. He has similar sensibilities. Though I'm more than a little annoyed we still don't have more goddamn Umbrella Academy, even as a Netflix series is on the way.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:48 AM   #16
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Still, dude deserves a lot of credit for Ultimate Spider-Man, which for a long time pre-BND was the Spider-Man comic to read if you wanted something consistently good
There was plenty to enjoy with the Spider-Man line pre-BND besides Ultimate. There was JMS, Mark Miller on Marvel Knights, Marvel Adventures, Sean Murphy's Spidey Loves MJ, DeFalco on Spider-Girl etc.

BND kicked off the wretched period we're still enduring.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 11-09-2017 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #17
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Not sure why they kind of edged him out. He'd been with them for twenty years and wrote some damn fine comics. Perhaps that's part of it; he was an old hand and the mid aughts to the early tens were about the newer wave, only Marvel ended up snapping most of those guys up too. I wonder, occasionally, if Waid will go back at some point. His love for DC and its properties runs deep. Especially Superman.

Pretty much. He's my favorite comic writer, full stop. I don't think I've read anything from him I didn't like (but I haven't read his entire bibliography, since he's done a lot of stuff over the years). I think the weakest of all the things I've read is maybe Joe the Barbarian, which isn't to say it's even bad. It just felt like it lacked a little flair, maybe. Still, it was a fun little fantasy thing, and is probably the easiest of his work to ever recommend along with WE3, just because it's so straightforward.

I also like Gerard Way, one of his friends, too. He has similar sensibilities. Though I'm more than a little annoyed we still don't have more goddamn Umbrella Academy, even as a Netflix series is on the way.
The weakest of Morrison's titles would be Final Crisis. That was a convoluted mess and did not have the same epic feel that Infinite Crisis did despite Darkseid conquering Earth for one month. Its not necessarily his fault, but what he had to work with.

Also, I suggest you check out his Animal Man run from 1989-1991. That is a hidden gem among DC's archives.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:10 AM   #18
AquaParade
Banned

I never miss a chance to hop on the Grant Morrison-Love train. The dude is inspiring.

To me, his comics are the best of the best because he captures the two key elements: They have mind-bending, out of this world concepts, but he never leaves out the heart, the emotion, and those one-liners that seem to speak to the audience as well as the characters.

In Morrison's "Batman and Robin", Dick Grayson attemps to take Bruce Wayne's supposed body to a Lazarus Pit and bring him back to life, despite the chances of dire consequence. He explains to Batwoman:

"...Me and Batman, we had an arrangement... If he was in trouble, I got him out. If there was a death trap he couldn't handle on his own, I was there to get him free. He knew he could count on me. That's how we worked. He was my brother, my best friend. I had a job to do and I never let him down...
So when we located a potential Lazarus Pit, maybe the last one in the world, what choice did I have? If someone gave you a chance, no matter how small, of bringing back someone you loved, you'd have to take it....(Dick looks to Batwoman/the reader, immersing us into the story) wouldn't you?"

Hell yes, I would.

Beautiful stuff. And Morrison is full of it.

Last edited by AquaParade; 11-09-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The weakest of Morrison's titles would be Final Crisis. That was a convoluted mess and did not have the same epic feel that Infinite Crisis did despite Darkseid conquering Earth for one month. Its not necessarily his fault, but what he had to work with.
Oh please! That's like the ultimate litmus test right there for comic readers: "What do you like better, Infinite Crisis or Final Crisis?" Do you like "Epic!" but empty-headed double-splash page cotton candy from Geoff Johns' hacky little fingers, or do you enjoy something far more nuanced from a true storyteller and craftsman who is continuously able to draw upon a lexicon of DC's 80 years of history to tell a story of the end of the world? You're probably upset there wasn't a fistfight with Darkseid. Final Crisis is far from my favorite Morrison story but it's wayyyyy better than anything Johns has "crafted" in his entire career.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:57 PM   #20
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
There was plenty to enjoy with the Spider-Man line pre-BND besides Ultimate. There was JMS, Mark Miller on Marvel Knights, Marvel Adventures, Sean Murphy's Spidey Loves MJ, DeFalco on Spider-Girl etc.

BND kicked off the wretched period we're still enduring.
Didn't like JMS, though I wish a couple of his ideas stuck. The Mark Millar run was okay. Marvel Adventures is not what I was looking for, nor was SLMJ. I never cared about Spider-Girl, honestly.

To be blunt, I've enjoyed more Spider-Man post BND than I ever did pre. Pre, it was mainly Ultimate for me. I loved the hell out of that book for years and only kind of dropped off when BND happened and Ultimate started feeling a bit redundant. Which the switch to Miles helped with, but by the time I tried getting into that, it kind of got lost among the other comics I was reading.

Quote:
I like Final Crisis, but I can understand people who couldn't get into it. It was complicated and for some people I imagine hard to follow. For a lot of rank and file readers, they prefer straightforward and DC had pretty much conditioned them that way. Some were just more concerned with what happened with any given character, while what happened to, like, Hawkman or whatever totally wasn't the point. Some people got what Morrison was doing but just didn't like it.

Either way, I like it for doing something different with an event, which was something we desperately needed, even at the time.

Quote:
Also, I suggest you check out his Animal Man run from 1989-1991. That is a hidden gem among DC's archives.
I've been meaning to. One of these days I'm going to pick up the trades. Doom Patrol's another of his I really appreciate, if only because Morrison seems like the only guy - well, save Way now too, I guess - who understood how to make the team stand out in a universe filled with superheroes. No one really cares about Rita or Mento or whatever enough to carry a book. A team that's supposed to be weird should actually be weird.

Quote:
Hell yes, I would.

Beautiful stuff. And Morrison is full of it.
Good choice on a Morrison moment, dude.

Quote:
Oh please! That's like the ultimate litmus test right there for comic readers: "What do you like better, Infinite Crisis or Final Crisis?"
I mean, I assume MikeandRaph87 knows what Morrison was going for and just wasn't into it, which I can respect. Some of Grants work is not for everyone and while I'm glad Final Crisis happened and was something different with the event model, I was never surprised that ended up being one of his most divisive works. There were people out there like you describe who just straight up didn't get it, though, whom just ended up resenting it for it.

Quote:
Do you like "Epic!" but empty-headed double-splash page cotton candy from Geoff Johns' hacky little fingers
Does... Geoff Johns owe you money or something?

Tags
bendis speak, bendys, brian michael bendis, comic books, dc comics, marvel