The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 06-14-2018, 10:49 PM   #61
Turo602
The King of Kings

Yeah, I hear it feels different compared to Wii U and if you compare the graphics, it's definitely not just an upscaled port.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #62
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
It's a port. A port with a bunch of upgrades, but a port nonetheless.
The engine is all new, the characters are all rebuilt from the ground up. Many characters have changes in their movesets like Link's Remote Bombs, balance changes in terms of damage taken, new final smashes, new costumes/outfits,etc. You can read up on all the changes and improvements on the usual gaming sites or forums to see for yourself.

And as said, there's bound to be at least 10 new characters and levels, we've already seen a new Zelda level based on Breath of the Wild, a new Mario Odyssey level with Pauline singing in the background, and there will obviously be more.

Fighters don't change much upon sequels, now that Smash is in HD it doesn't really need any radical changes anymore. I doubt Sakurai is ever going to bring back a full fledged story mode like Subspace Emissary, so beyond that we have the usual Classic, All-star, Event Matches, Crazy Orders, etc. for single players.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:57 PM   #63
sdp
-

Smash is getting stale and needs a shot in the arm, I love Sakurai and the amount of love he puts into the game but he needs to go. Ultimate will be a love letter to Smash fans as well as the Ultimate version of the game he has worked for for the last 20 years.

I'd love to see a new take on Smash, full story mode and other things that Sakurai would never allow, I would also like to see them shave off the fat, we have too many characters, get rid of 2/3rds of the Fire Emblem characters, only keep 2 at a time and so on. I don't see myself getting too excited for another Smash after this one if Sakurai is involved.

I'd however love to see Sakurai create a new IP, work on an existing one or even make a sequel to Kid Icarus.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #64
CyberCubed
Overlord

Smash isn't getting "stale" because the formula is tweaked and perfected a little with each game, and he adds tons of new modes and features to each new game. There's not much else you can do. We just got 8 player Smash, Master/Crazy orders, etc. last Smash. Then the Special Melee where you mix things up (like Giant Smash with Slow speed, etc) that you couldn't do prior to Brawl.

There's really no need for another full single player story. Outside of the cutscenes the fighting got stale very fast and it's not something people want Sakurai to spend time on over the roster.

The only thing we could use is someone else choosing the roster choices at some point, since Sakurai seems overly picky which characters get into Smash (if Miyamoto had some say for example, no way would Donkey Kong only have 2 characters this late in), but that's it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #65
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

While I totally understand Subspace emissary mode not coming back, I really hope that Adventure mode from Melee comes back.

It had sort of a story by having a character travel through different Nintendo worlds while still feeling like Smash unlike Subspace which was more "beat hundreds of NPC zombies" and had much less replay value.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 06-15-2018 at 03:58 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #66
Prowler
Emperor

What some people are saying about Smash getting stale now are the same things they were saying about Mario Kart, Pokémon and Zelda a while ago.

I trust the new Nintendo. Let's see where Smash goes after this game. It's a very profitable franchise. It won't die just like that.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #67
sdp
-

Smash won't die, I'm just saying each game gets me a little less hyped because things don't change enough. Even some other other fighting games change more.

Mario Kart is indeed getting stale though, the bikes in Wii, Gliders in 7 and no gravity in 8 have helped a little but overall it needs to change. Give it an adventure mode like Diddy Kong Racing, or make it out right a Mario Kart & Nintendo All Stars as a full crossover game, I don't know something besides the same mushroom kingdom locations. I'm happy with Mario Kart only being Mario characters, but if they're going to add Link and Inklings they might as well add Kirby and the rest. if it's Mario only then besides an adventure mode have new characters, Mario Tennis is exciting sine you get some WTF entries like Chomp Chomp and the squid, wouldn't it be great to see Pauline? Or some obscure Spin-off main character like say from Paper Mario?

Zelda well it changed with BOTW, I personally think it changed a little too much but I will give BOTW another chance soon. Pokemon needs to change but it needs to change back to what it was back in Gen 1 and 2, all the extra story that they've slowly added has gotten stale, have it be more personal and not "you will save the world from the legendaries" which has been the story since Gen III. Gen I was great because you were a kid who just happened to defeat Team Rocket, keep it light on story and more focused on exploration.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #68
Prowler
Emperor

Mario tennis? I've only played the 3DS one and it was average. The Golf one was a bit better. I really like Mario Golf in the Nintendo 64 back in the day btw. And the GBA game was pretty interesting as well

I wonder if Nintendo will eve do some changes to Mario party. Mario Party kinda lost people's interest after the N64.

Yeah, Diddy Kong Racing was a pretty good back back in the day. How come MK never tried to do something similar to it with a story mode, a world to explore and boss races?
Old 06-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #69
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Mario tennis? I've only played the 3DS one and it was average. The Golf one was a bit better. I really like Mario Golf in the Nintendo 64 back in the day btw. And the GBA game was pretty interesting as well

I wonder if Nintendo will eve do some changes to Mario party. Mario Party kinda lost people's interest after the N64.

Yeah, Diddy Kong Racing was a pretty good back back in the day. How come MK never tried to do something similar to it with a story mode, a world to explore and boss races?
Mario Tennis is the perfect example of a series getting stale, it was great on the N64, GBC and GBA but the Gamecube/Wii/Wii U version just kinda did the bare minimum and it showed. The Switch Mario Tennis seems to be taking the right direction.

At E3 Nintendo announced Super Mario Party and it's going back to basics a la the first Mario Party games so that's already an improvement over the last few games. They also finally added online, but remember Nintendo takes baby steps, it's still not the board game online but only the mini games. Maybe for Super Mario Party 2 they'll get the online right. But yeah this is the shot in the arm that Mario Party needed and the "Super" helps emphasize this.

I also don't know why Nintendo didn't copy some things from DKR, hell they own the IP and there have been rumors for many years that it would come. Me personally I'd keep Mario Kart more to the basics and get rid of many gimmicks it's done over the years while also releasing DKR with an "all stars Nintendo" cast crossover and also experiment more here with the Kart formula. There are the rumors of that Star Fox racing game inspired by DKR's story mode so maybe that's the closest we'll get to it.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #70
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Mario Tennis is the perfect example of a series getting stale, it was great on the N64, GBC and GBA but the Gamecube/Wii/Wii U version just kinda did the bare minimum and it showed. The Switch Mario Tennis seems to be taking the right direction.

At E3 Nintendo announced Super Mario Party and it's going back to basics a la the first Mario Party games so that's already an improvement over the last few games. They also finally added online, but remember Nintendo takes baby steps, it's still not the board game online but only the mini games. Maybe for Super Mario Party 2 they'll get the online right. But yeah this is the shot in the arm that Mario Party needed and the "Super" helps emphasize this.

I also don't know why Nintendo didn't copy some things from DKR, hell they own the IP and there have been rumors for many years that it would come. Me personally I'd keep Mario Kart more to the basics and get rid of many gimmicks it's done over the years while also releasing DKR with an "all stars Nintendo" cast crossover and also experiment more here with the Kart formula. There are the rumors of that Star Fox racing game inspired by DKR's story mode so maybe that's the closest we'll get to it.
Yeah Mario Party without proper online in this decade is just stupid.

Mario Tennis N64 was the game I initially wanted but my mom says it wasn't available in stores anymore, so she got me Mario Golf instead. I ended up liking it anyway.

What is considered the best Mario Golf game? I remember the GameCube one having some hype.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #71
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Simon Belmont is in, boys. YEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!
Old 08-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #72
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Even some other other fighting games change more.
Like what? Street Fighter?

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:23 PM   #73
Sumac
Banned

Amazing Direct and game shapes to be very amazing.
I want to buy it, purely for Simon and K. Rool.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #74
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Wow, and that actually looks like Simon, not the way he's been redesigned as a red-haired woman for the past few years in Japan.

Sidenote: I had no idea Mega Man was in this. Wow.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #75
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

K. Rool was my most requested character! I need no one else!
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #76
Powder
So tired of this place

I'm so happy. I got some of my most wanted characters as playable, with the rest being assists.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #77
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

At this rate, the TMNT will probably be announced for it.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #78
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Wow, and that actually looks like Simon, not the way he's been redesigned as a red-haired woman for the past few years in Japan.

Sidenote: I had no idea Mega Man was in this. Wow.
And Richter doesn't look like Yaoi fodder, but like his old good 90-s anime-self.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:52 PM   #79
Ninjinister
無問題

The characters I want most that weren't already in, have like zero chance to be in, so I'm pretty much happy with whoever they choose. That being said, I was surprised they finally got K. Rool.

Honestly though I would have thought that they would've used the K. Rool trailer to introduce Funky as an Echo Fighter.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:28 PM   #80
Shark_Blade
Emperor

So stil no Waluigi huh?

That “Everyone is here!” slogan sounds so ironic lol.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote