The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 08-03-2021, 06:28 PM   #61
sdp
doomer

You'll get through season 5 faster, don't forget to watch The Wasteland Warrior, The Impossible Desert, carmagedddon at the end since it's the last story of 2012.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:26 PM   #62
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
You'll get through season 5 faster, don't forget to watch The Wasteland Warrior, The Impossible Desert, carmagedddon at the end since it's the last story of 2012.
But I have to say, that that ending was a let down. There were too many plots unresolved.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:44 PM   #63
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
But I have to say, that that ending was a let down. There were too many plots unresolved.
As much I wish some of the plots were resolved, I thought that ending with all four turtles re-United in Oasis was really touching and bittersweet. Especially that final shot of them posing for a photo with Splinter, and then the image of the Mirage turtle holding the sign.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:24 AM   #64
Turo602
The King of Kings

I thought this show was just okay. What I remember most about binging the show though, is just how hard it is to sit through sometimes. Way too much filler, plus it can be a little annoying at times, and story arcs just dragged on for too long. Everything always came back to the Kraang and it got tiring. Especially the stupid way in which they speak.

Arcs that I thought had some great potential, like the North Hampton arc, space arc, Usagi, and the Apocalypse stuff just sort of fizzled out for me with how long they went on. I also thought they over did it with mutations and I wasn't a fan of teenage April and Casey and April having super powers just to make her relevant and part of the action.

Donnie and Mikey were also completely butchered. They went full retard with Michelangelo and everyone pretty much acknowledges how stupid and incompetent he is and Donatello lusting for April was very weird and just made him come off creepy and unlikable with how often he blows up and gets angry.

But as much as I'll always prefer the 2k3 series, even I have to admit that this series did some bold and cool stuff. Even as a fan of the 80s cartoon, with how much 2k3 distanced itself from all its wackiness, it was pretty cool to see a lot of that stuff redone here while still trying to maintain a more serious tone and unique identity. I was so bored by this franchise by the time I started watching this, and even though I wasn't 100% in love with this iteration, it was refreshing to see something that very clearly had a lot of passion and heart put into it.

It's definitely worth a watch for any turtles fan and it's far more respectable than anything that has come out since. It will never be as beloved as the 80s cartoon or as great as 2k3, but it was solid enough to be considered a substantial part of the franchise.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:14 AM   #65
sdp
doomer

I think like most shows it's a different experience to watch it week by week since things satay to become tedious than if you binge watch and are able to see the while season stuff play off
Old 08-04-2021, 09:04 AM   #66
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well I did both, I watched each ep when it was new in their first airings. Then after that I rewatched the show twice in full with about 4-5 episodes a day.

So I've seen the show in total 3 times already. I should probably start a 4th rewatch sometime, probably won't till next year though.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:41 AM   #67
ABrown
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I really enjoyed all the eps back on Earth in the backhalf of Season 4 too. The writers knew the show was wrapping up at that point so they were bringing back a ton of characters to close out their plotlines and this continues into Season 5.
Don't forget the second half of season four introduced Shinigami. The best thing to come out of this series.

ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:56 AM   #68
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
Don't forget the second half of season four introduced Shinigami. The best thing to come out of this series.
]
For you two maybe, she was not that interesting to me never mind being the best thing in the series..

Karai returning here was a plus for me.

I liked this half of season 4 and of course the finale, I prefer it to the space arc which started to get long for me in the end. I liked the change of scenery both times but then I liked to get back to the main story after a while.
I prefer Shredder as a threat without needing to be Super Shredder but I can see they were going for upping the threat and point of no return for him (though he was pretty gone in his hate anyway)

Last edited by newfan; 08-04-2021 at 12:10 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 05:12 PM   #69
Zog The Magnificent
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post

https://media3.giphy.com/media/3oz8x...giphy.gif&ct=g
I'm gonna have to disagree there. While I love season 4, it's my favorite in the show, I think that Shinigami was the most useless character they introduced. She added nothing to the dynamic, had no interesting development, and was consistently the first to get taken out in a fight in basically every episode she was in, after which she would stop appearing in the episode. It go to the point of me wondering why she was even there since she never did anything. She just existed.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:08 PM   #70
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
I'm gonna have to disagree there. While I love season 4, it's my favorite in the show, I think that Shinigami was the most useless character they introduced. She added nothing to the dynamic, had no interesting development, and was consistently the first to get taken out in a fight in basically every episode she was in, after which she would stop appearing in the episode. It go to the point of me wondering why she was even there since she never did anything. She just existed.
Yeah, she basically was the Yamcha of that series.

But she did provide with more background story on Karai, a slight glimpse in who she was back in Japan. (I'm sorry to bother all of you again about my comic) but Shinigami inspired me to create a more fleshed out back story on Karai's past and what kind of training she had from both Tatsu and her sensei from the IDW comic book series: Toshiro.

Toshiro dealing with Koya, his attitude here would have fit perfectly in the 2012 series as a counter balance from Tatsu. I can so see him training Bradford. It's a missed opportunity he didn't appear in the series.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:18 PM   #71
Vegita-San
Emperor

I have to agree. Shinigami was a weird character. not really all that useful, although I could see Karai needing a lieutenant if she where to take over the foot clan.

Other than that, she wasn't really all that useful.

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:23 PM   #72
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I like the idea of Shinigami and I think she had potential, but one thing that annoys me to no end is how she easily beats all 4 turtles in her first appearance, especially when you consider how the turtles are well trained at that point and Shinigami never shows such a feat again.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:15 PM   #73
CyberCubed
Overlord

She was clearly included in the show to give Karai a lesbian lover. Anyone could see the subtext a mile away.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:39 PM   #74
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
She was clearly included in the show to give Karai a lesbian lover. Anyone could see the subtext a mile away.
Err... Not really, her flirt sessions with Leo were more frequent after Shini's introduction.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:38 PM   #75
Zog The Magnificent
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Karai by the end of the show clearly liked Leo and said as much. She had more flirting with Michelangelo than anyone else. There was no real subtext between her and Karai, and before you come at me with the one shot from the music video, that was noncanon and was more just part of music video choreography then anything actually indicative of actualy characterization.

I remember a time when characters of the same gender could hang out without everyone immediately assuming gay. Whatever happened to just being good friends?
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:11 AM   #76
newfan
Mad Scientist

Why shini is there at all makes sense, as Vegita San pointed out. After everything that went down Karai went off to find old friend she could trust to help her overthrow Shredder, then she'd need a second in command. Just as others have said she wasn't really a strong character, just there, came in at the end to fit the story but there was little to her after her intro otherwise. (though I suspect that isn't what ABrown meant in his post... just a guess)

Course if they had gone the other way and cast a shadow over Karai I wouldn't like that. I liked that the writers did still show Karai in eps without her so that she stood out on own still.

So the watch through is almost done, for the main series/story anyway.

Last edited by newfan; 08-05-2021 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:05 AM   #77
sdp
doomer

Shinigami seemed a random addition, she was barely introduced properly and just stayed relevant for less than the average new recurring baddie, then she was just there. I never understood why she was even added since she didn't add much and her witch look just didn't seem to mesh well.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:45 AM   #78
CyberCubed
Overlord

She was Shinigami the lesbiani to me.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:23 PM   #79
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
So the watch through is almost done, for the main series/story anyway.
I tried watching it about a year ago, and it stopped at season 2. this time I managed to get alot farther.

I will say the show DOES work alot better without the long breaks. some things don't seem as forgotten, other things seem better planned out. it helps to view it all at once.

and yet, other episodes I still have no desire to ever watch again.

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:50 PM   #80
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
I tried watching it about a year ago, and it stopped at season 2. this time I managed to get alot farther.

I will say the show DOES work alot better without the long breaks. some things don't seem as forgotten, other things seem better planned out. it helps to view it all at once.

and yet, other episodes I still have no desire to ever watch again.
So it fractionally improved for you in parts, barring some of season 3 Where there were eps you really just didn't like a re-watch likely wouldn't change that much.

Last edited by newfan; 08-05-2021 at 02:59 PM.