The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 01-15-2021, 08:36 AM   #41
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumbug View Post
How funny would it be if Krang's head was blown to a size that didn't fit the walker.
Krang’s head may actually be touching the ‘cranium cart’ window this time around. Oh no, it’s Super Krang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
As I mentioned, I'm tempted to get the baddies box if only for the F.S. and accessories.

While I'm at it, could someone (I'm guessing mikey0) explain why they redid Shredder's leg and any other reissue changes?
Playmates redid both of Shredder’s legs for the Original Comic Book Collection set. It was almost difficult trying to get the original basic Shredder and all Shredder reissues before the Walmart one to stand up straight without falling. So, you do not have to prop this Shredder up against the back of the shelf. There is another theory spreading online about why Playmates re-molded Shredder’s legs for the Walmart Exclusive Original Comic Book Collection set. Pixel Dan believes Playmates may have been trying to mimic the stance that Shredder uses in the Mirage Comics comic book. I agree with Pixel Dan on that point. Playmates killed two birds with one stone.

As for the oversized heads, I imagine the original head molds from the late 80s were starting to show their age. So, Playmates used rotocasting to make the oversized heads because it’s less expensive to do.

Those are the only reissue changes I can think of right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
This might be a dumb question, but are you so sure the Foot does come with accessories? Other figures are shown holding their weapons, the Foot has nothing. It'd be mighty lazy of Playmates to not include anything but I mean, come on. This whole release is lazy.
I’m not sure why Playmates used that promotional image of the F.S., but the 2014 Classic Collection Retro Foot Soldier came with accessories. This release will not be too different from the last release. I’m excited to see this hollow headed Foot Soldier myself.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-15-2021 at 09:05 AM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:32 PM   #42
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
What does roto mean?
It comes from the Latin term meaning “to put out product without trying too hard”
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:39 PM   #43
Walkabout
Stone Warrior

Thanks for the explanation mikey0.

Oversized heads and different legs/colors are all ticks in the wrong column as far as I'm concerned.
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:24 PM   #44
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
Thanks for the explanation mikey0.

Oversized heads and different legs/colors are all ticks in the wrong column as far as I'm concerned.
You’re very welcome, Walkabout.

Another tick is how Playmates adds 1 to 2 new characters that we haven’t seen for some time.

This is the third instance of Baxter Stockman being re-released. Seeing the Slash reissue was a real eye opener in 2009 when I saw him at Toys R Us Express. Not so much this time around. I wish Playmates would make repros of the lesser known mutants, robots, and aliens like Anthrax, Halfcourt, and Hot Spot. I have a feeling that the next box set after the Movie Star Collection figure set will have mainly turtle variants in it. The second subject that old-time collectors of the original Playmates toyline discuss, after the first basic wave, are all of the turtle variants. It would be nice if the next theme was Shogun Ninja TMNT or Undercover TMNT, but Playmates has not gotten around to the Mutant Military or Mutant Military 2 turtles yet.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-15-2021 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:27 PM   #45
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnHawk View Post
not sure why people continue to give into Playmates pathetic attempt at keeping people satisfied by regurgitating the same stuff every 2 or 3yrs....oh look a new box. If you keep buying it, they'll keep making the same things.....
Or maybe, just maybe, it’s not the same people buying them over and over. Look at the secondary market sales on a lot of these releases, they go for 1.5-2x the original sale price. Many, including myself have missed out or passed on previously releases. Then this comes out, in a cool box to boot, and a different set of buyers dive in. That’s where I’m at. I’ve passed on these in the past because it hasn’t been a priority. I’m stoked for these.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:00 PM   #46
Powder
So tired of this place

Nah, it totally is the same people buying them over & over again. I'm in a ton of collectors groups & these guys have brand loyalty like you wouldn't imagine. They sh*t on every iteration of TMNT but 1987, & buy the same toys one after another for decades at a time. Many such cases. Sad!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:45 AM   #47
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropoliskid41 View Post
Or maybe, just maybe, it’s not the same people buying them over and over. Look at the secondary market sales on a lot of these releases, they go for 1.5-2x the original sale price. Many, including myself have missed out or passed on previously releases. Then this comes out, in a cool box to boot, and a different set of buyers dive in. That’s where I’m at. I’ve passed on these in the past because it hasn’t been a priority. I’m stoked for these.
I'm with you. Whenever a company put out a new batch/printing of the same product everyone here or among collectors goes crazy saying that the company is greedy for wanting them to buy the same stuff again. But what about people who hasn't bought that product before? what if the new batch/printing is for them and not for the crazy collectors that already got the product before?
Look at books. There are books that get to the 12th printing. Are books company so greedy that they want people to buy the same book 12 times or maybe that company just wants the book to by available to people that missed the previous printing?
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:07 PM   #48
mikey0
Foot Elite

I wish Playmates would paint the entire plastron. The rim around the plastron looks to be unpainted like on these like the turtles from the SDCC 2020 exclusive and some of the other reissues from this century so far (I.e. - the Family Dollar mini 2-packs). The repros in 2020 were very lackluster compared to the Classic Collection Retro Collection figures from 2013 to 2016. This makes me worried for collectors of the re-releases. What will happen next? Will Playmates leave the entire plastron flesh-toned in 2062 and call that set the Retro Spirit of the TMNT Collection?

I don’t think that will ever happen, but the quality seems to decline from each decade to the next decade. That’s where I was getting at. Frank_one, also, noticed the lack of paint on the plastron in the Walmart Playmates fred wolf Mirage repaints the turtles shredder and splinter thread. I’m not liking where this is headed.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-16-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:35 PM   #49
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

Quote:
lmao...or maybe you're just a shill for playmates
Old 01-16-2021, 05:36 PM   #50
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I'm with you. Whenever a company put out a new batch/printing of the same product everyone here or among collectors goes crazy saying that the company is greedy for wanting them to buy the same stuff again. But what about people who hasn't bought that product before? what if the new batch/printing is for them and not for the crazy collectors that already got the product before?
Look at books. There are books that get to the 12th printing. Are books company so greedy that they want people to buy the same book 12 times or maybe that company just wants the book to by available to people that missed the previous printing?
what stopped you from buying these other the 5 times these have been released?
Old 01-16-2021, 06:19 PM   #51
sdp
-

Quote:
For one reason or another I have not been able to get any of the previous re-releases of these figures. It's possible, now I don't want a Shredder and would rather have a single package version with the original weapons rack but if this is the only way for me to get these figures I just might. Then again I don't know what the giant heads thing means, so these re-releases have bigger heads of cheaper plastic? Did I get that right?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:02 PM   #52
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Then again I don't know what the giant heads thing means, so these re-releases have bigger heads of cheaper plastic? Did I get that right?
Yes, these reissues have oversized soft heads made from cheaper plastic. The bottoms of the oversized rotocast turtles’ heads from the SDCC 2020 Exclusive Retro Rotocast Party Wagon Figure Set match those of the original 1988 soft head turtles, so it will be the same way for the Retro Rotocast Sewer Lair Figure Set. The retail version of the SDCC 2020 Exclusive Retro Rotocast Party Wagon Figure Set has been said to have harder standard plastic heads. I imagine that the retail Retro Rotocast Party Wagon Figure Sets have been staying in warehouses with low temperatures (meaning the oversized soft heads got harder). It is to the best of my knowledge that all Retro Rotocast Party Wagon Figure Sets (both retail and Comic Con exclusives) have carded soft head turtles, Splinters, and Shredders. Yes, even the Previews exclusive sold on sites like Amazon and Walmart are supposed to have oversized rotocast heads (also known as giant soft heads).

Last edited by mikey0; 01-16-2021 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:16 PM   #53
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Maybe I wasn't paying attention? Maybe I didn't have the money? Maybe I wasn't in Turtles stuff anymore? There's a lot of possible reason to miss multiple releases.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:35 PM   #54
mikey0
Foot Elite

Which characters from the original Playmates toyline would everyone like to see with oversized rotocast heads?

For me, it would be Leo, the Sewer Samurai, Mondo Gecko, Leatherhead, General Traag, the Storage Shell turtles, Scratch, Ace Duck, Anthrax, Ray Filet, Shogun Shoate, the Undercover TMNT, Jim Lee TMNT, and Wyrm.

Playmates is making the Foot Soldier, Baxter Stockman, Krang, Slash, and the Movie Star turtles already, so I left them off the list.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-16-2021 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:45 AM   #55
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

Quote:
lmao...or maybe you're just a shill for playmates
Buying these new sets, as the only Playmates Turtle reissue sets that I’ve ever bought, somehow makes me a shill? You know that no one is forcing you to buy these right? We get it, you don’t like them. Then STFU and don’t buy them, problem solved.

Quote:
Maybe I wasn't paying attention? Maybe I didn't have the money? Maybe I wasn't in Turtles stuff anymore? There's a lot of possible reason to miss multiple releases.
Exactly. I’m in the same boat. I go in and out of collecting all toy lines, Turtles included. Mix in getting married, moving/buying houses, having a little kids, having kids with medical issues, etc means that sitting around buying TMNT figures haven’t been priority #1 for the past decade. But hey I want to get these, and since I haven’t bought any of the previous reissues, that makes these super attractive.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:19 PM   #56
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
They might get some more purchases from me if they do a box set of Toon Turtles and storage shell Turtles.
I love the storage shell sculpts.
I can definitely see the Storage Shell figures with oversized rotocast heads since all of the Storage Shell figures were re-released in the 90s. The question now is, will the Storage Shell turtles have bandana matching belts or black belts?

As for the Toon Turtles, the Animated Toon Television would be a regular Television like the one that came with the Toon Mike reissue made in ‘99 (if the Televisions are even included). The 2020s Toon Turtles repros would not be glittery like the originals either, but they would have oversized soft heads setting them apart from even the early 2000s Toon Mike. The gimmicks would probably be gone.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-17-2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:05 PM   #57
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Nah, it totally is the same people buying them over & over again. I'm in a ton of collectors groups & these guys have brand loyalty like you wouldn't imagine. They sh*t on every iteration of TMNT but 1987, & buy the same toys one after another for decades at a time. Many such cases. Sad!
Difference between brand loyalty and addiction buying. I'm sure much much of what you've described is the latter.

Quote:
Buying these new sets, as the only Playmates Turtle reissue sets that I’ve ever bought, somehow makes me a shill? You know that no one is forcing you to buy these right? We get it, you don’t like them. Then STFU and don’t buy them, problem solved.
I'm not in for the "shill" debate by any means. But in the spirit of real convo, why don't you seek out nice examples of the original vintage releases? Why would you prefer modern copies?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:26 PM   #58
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Difference between brand loyalty and addiction buying. I'm sure much much of what you've described is the latter.

I'm not in for the "shill" debate by any means. But in the spirit of real convo, why don't you seek out nice examples of the original vintage releases? Why would you prefer modern copies?
I have the original figures, loose, from when I was a kid. I want figures on a nice classic looking card. These fit the bill. They’re individually packaged and come in a nice outer box as well. $190 gets you 12 carded figs. I get a pretty substantial discount from my comic shop, so I’ll pay more like $150 total for both sets. Pretty economical compared to the price it’d cost to get all 12 on card in the original vintage releases. No brainer if you want something nice to sit on the shelf.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:00 PM   #59
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Which characters from the original Playmates toyline would everyone like to see with oversized rotocast heads?
Precisely none. Oversized heads are not a selling point for me.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:54 PM   #60
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Precisely none. Oversized heads are not a selling point for me.
I’m on the fence with these. A part of me would like to see my most liked characters with soft heads (even if they’re oversized), but the other re-releases have had the traditional regular size hard heads and the original Playmates toyline was not exactly the Mattel 1982 Masters of the Universe line. Playmates needs to really lose the rotocast heads.