The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 07-31-2020, 05:52 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Will 2020 have the most deaths worldwide of any year since WWII?

Coronavirus alone we're at 682,000+ deaths worldwide so far:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

But that's not counting all other deaths. Deaths of usual old age, heart disease/attack, flu, or people just getting hit by cars or killed by bullets on the street. Not to mention the usual wars in third world countries.

Has there been any year with more deaths in recent history than 1945? I'm honestly curious.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

The Korean War (1950-1953) has more deaths at approximately 1.5 to 4.5 million based on different estimates.

North Korea's famines have also been estimated to kill millions although its hard to gather data from the isolationist state.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 07-31-2020 at 06:17 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:13 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

I don't want to be this guy but it seems that the majority of the people who actually die from this disease are either elderly or suffering from immune problems, in other words, people who would likely die from some disease anyway. I don't mean to be dismissive, this disease certainly does speed things up and the victims might have been easier treat if it was something that spread slower. And yes, being young and normally healthy is not a gurantee you'd survive either, but the risk does appear to be far lower.

And while this sort of thing has not happened for a long time, it might be hard to figure out wheter or not 2020 has had the most deaths since 1945 if you don't have official numbers. While the terrors of the holocaust and the bombings of Japan have yet to be equaled, there are also far more people around now than there were back then. And it's not like long wars, disease and genocide have been unheard of during this 75 year period.

Short answer, we need statistics to tell.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:48 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Bad $hit happens every year. Lotsa people die in places First World Countries don't even bother to remember, much less correctly pronounce.

I'm skeptical.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:54 PM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I doubt it, sorta, though the stupid behavior of people in some parts of the world *cough* that isn't helping is only going to allow that number to keep climbing which is pretty damn sad.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:18 PM   #6
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Bad $hit happens every year. Lotsa people die in places First World Countries don't even bother to remember, much less correctly pronounce.

I'm skeptical.
Good point, but it disregards that your point is a constant and now that constant is amidst a global pandemic.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:24 PM   #7
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Good point, but it disregards that your point is a constant and now that constant is amidst a global pandemic.
That's why I'm not flat-out calling bull$hit. But we've had major pandemics and health scares before... just not in this digital age of "OMFG, we're all gonna die!"daily news cycles.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:01 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

The reason deaths and infections have increased lately is all the people who ignored the virus are getting it. What goes around comes around.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote