The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 04-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

The 4Kids one for GBA? I just recently acquired and finished that one. Pretty good! Do you remember what part you got stuck on? I managed to get through it rather quickly. It's rather short, that was my only nitpick.

I liked a lot of what they came up with for that game. I liked that you're required to play as each of the Turtles and that they each have their own unique levels designed around their own gameplay style, since each Turtle has unique abilities, but I wish they'd managed to let you "free play" all of the levels with whichever Turtle you wanted after completing the main game. Would have added greatly to the replay value. I'm not sure if they could have, since each level pretty much required that specific Turtle's abilities to navigate and complete it, but they could've figured it out.

But on the whole, not a bad piece of business! I definitely regret overlooking it when it came out, and I feel bad that apparently a lot of people did. The beat-'em'up sections definitely brought back fond memories of the good ol' days and felt like a natural evolution of Turtles In Time. The rest of the game tried some new things and I feel they mostly turned out well.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:28 AM   #22
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656
See, those Rabbids were bullsh*t. That kinda sh*t right there infuriates me when they easily could have given those spots to literally ANY thing else.
Bahahahaha! It's so damn true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley
I’ve lost interest in videogames, but my favourite TMNT game was the first one for the Game Boy Advance, even though I wasn’t a beat-em up fan could never beat it. Never cared much for the others I played tbh.
I'm the exact opposite: hardcore maniac gamer.

VICTORY!"
D-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:51 AM   #23
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
The 4Kids one for GBA? I just recently acquired and finished that one. Pretty good! Do you remember what part you got stuck on? I managed to get through it rather quickly. It's rather short, that was my only nitpick.

I liked a lot of what they came up with for that game. I liked that you're required to play as each of the Turtles and that they each have their own unique levels designed around their own gameplay style, since each Turtle has unique abilities, but I wish they'd managed to let you "free play" all of the levels with whichever Turtle you wanted after completing the main game. Would have added greatly to the replay value. I'm not sure if they could have, since each level pretty much required that specific Turtle's abilities to navigate and complete it, but they could've figured it out.

But on the whole, not a bad piece of business! I definitely regret overlooking it when it came out, and I feel bad that apparently a lot of people did. The beat-'em'up sections definitely brought back fond memories of the good ol' days and felt like a natural evolution of Turtles In Time. The rest of the game tried some new things and I feel they mostly turned out well.
Sadly I barely played them...
But I remember that they were pretty good!

I remember remaining stucked in that level with Donatello where you had to destroy four targets (I think) with Donatello's long range attack! I didn't knew you could actually do such move. After that, I don't remember even finishing one...

VICTORY!"
Old 04-02-2020, 02:58 PM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise

I generally make it a point to finish at least most of the games I play. I get some real guilt and anxiety otherwise. For example, even though Battle Nexus was by default the worst of the ones I've played - more simply because the others were so much better by comparison than anything - I still had every intention of finishing it, and I've given it several tries over the years, I just can't get past the glitch near the end, and that's a shame.

I haven't managed to "100%" every TMNT game, far from it, but I at least manage to beat the main game repeatedly, most times. The only one I've played and didn't beat was the original NES game, and I'm pretty sure that's one I just have to forget about.

Just for the hell of it, the TMNT games I own are:

- NES original
- TMNT 2: The Arcade Game (NES)
- TMNT III: The Manhattan Project (NES)
- TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan (Game Boy)
- TMNT: Back From The Sewer (Game Boy)
- Turtles In Time (SNES)
- Tournament Fighters (SNES)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2004, Gamecube)
- TMNT 2: Battle Nexus (Gamecube)
- TMNT 3: Mutant Nightmare (Xbox)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Game Boy Advance)
- TMNT (2007 movie game, PS2)
- TMNT 1989 Arcade Game (Xbox 360, digital)
- TMNT: Turtles In Time Re-Shelled (Xbox 360, digital)
- TMNT Smash-Up (Wii)
- Nickelodeon's TMNT (Xbox 360)
- Nickelodeon's TMNT: Danger of the Ooze (PS3)
- TMNT: Out of the Shadows (Xbox 360, digital)
- TMNT: Mutants In Manhattan (Xbox One)

Of that list, the only ones I haven't at least beaten the main game on are the first NES game, and the first Nick TMNT game, which I only bought recently and simply haven't played yet. I *think* I'm only really missing the third Game Boy game, and the handheld versions of Battle Nexus, Mutant Nightmare, and the 2007 movie game. I just don't really prioritize collecting handheld games, so those have slipped by me until recently.

I didn't factor Game Boy games in when I was talking about my least-favorites, but at least one of those would probably be worse than Battle Nexus if I were to do so. They were alright for their time but objectively not great.

I never hear anyone talk about Danger of the Ooze, like, at all, which is strange. It's fine. Just... I'unno, I don't wanna say "boring", because that doesn't quite fit. But it doesn't really stick with you once you're done with it. It's fun, though. I'm sure some folks could make a case for it being among the best of the TMNT games. There's certainly not much "wrong" with it, it's just kinda... "Eh."

I also thought the game based on the 2007 movie was really cool for what it was. The "problem" with most of the TMNT games, including that one, isn't really that they're bad or do anything wrong, but simply that they don't do a whole lot to stand out or blow your mind. That's also why it can be tough to pick a "favorite"; they're all pretty good in different ways but few of them really excel in any area. Even Turtles In Time, as much fun as it is, is pretty pedestrian by beat-'em-up standards. Plenty of other games by that point gave you a lot more moves and stuff to do, although throwing bad guys at the screen was a fun novelty that never, ever gets old. But without the TMNT license, it's entirely average. Especially that damn short length. I wrote it down and lost it but I think my record is like 23 minutes and change on the hardest difficulty. How did we not riot, back in the day? I still love it, though.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #25
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:

It’s the 4Kids one alright. I got stuck about halfway through the last level (the point where there is a lot of enemies to fight in the elevator with lasers). I agree it’s a pretty good game, though. I also liked the cutscenes in the game. Thought they were well done.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:51 AM   #26
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656
I also thought the game based on the 2007 movie was really cool for what it was.
I never tried the Ps2 version, but the DS version was very interesting!
It had a peculiar game mechanic based on parkour/beat-em-up.
If you have never seen that game, it basically have sections were you fight normally the enemies (bosses too), and other sections were the turtle just have to pass a certain obstacle course.
It's very speedrun-like and the controls are damn fun!
The only bad thing was effectively the beat-em-up part, which was too simple and easy in my opinion. Mashing button basically.

The "parkour" levels required great skill to finish in little time!
I suggest you to watch some videos on it because I don't think I gave the right idea.

VICTORY!"
Old 04-04-2020, 05:10 AM   #27
Leo656
The Franchise

I did take a look at some videos of the PS2 and DS games (I honestly haven't played the PS2 game in forever); they look both fairly similar and yet entirely different from each other. I don't have a DS but I always planned to get that version of the game if/when I ever procured one.

I've been wanting to play the console version again for a while but my PS2 has been broken for a long time. One of these days I'll have to pick up a copy on Gamecube if I find it cheap enough.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:54 PM   #28
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ray View Post
If you mean "I'll take them all". I feel ya.
More who thought it was a good idea to include platforming in a 3D side-scrolling beat'em up especially keeping the same game engine.

Quote:
I played it recently, and it was a punch in the stomach. Not because it was not good, but because it was downright boring. The levels were too long, and too repetitive. The bosses maybe were ok, but for me it was really difficult to finish, just because you loose the will to continue. The only thing I really liked, was the 1 vs 1 mode, a thing that never came back into the various 2003 games.
Quite enjoyed the first game. I don't feel they improved over it. Sure it's repetitive but it's fun, can be challenging, there's stuff to unlock (that isn't censored) and it's not overly complex so anyone can get into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I’ve lost interest in videogames, but my favourite TMNT game was the first one for the Game Boy Advance, even though I wasn’t a beat-em up fan could never beat it. Never cared much for the others I played tbh.
I tried that one recently and it was too bad at all. My only complaint is that the hit detection is a little wonky.

Quote:
I never tried the Ps2 version, but the DS version was very interesting!
Is Portal Power good?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:06 AM   #29
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreria
More who thought it was a good idea to include platforming in a 3D side-scrolling beat'em up especially keeping the same game engine.
I found it pretty fun! Even if the platforming aspect were very very very simple.

Quote:
Quite enjoyed the first game. I don't feel they improved over it. Sure it's repetitive but it's fun, can be challenging, there's stuff to unlock (that isn't censored) and it's not overly complex so anyone can get into it.
Well, TMNT 3 Mutant Nightmare is basically the first but WAY more interesting. You can buy abilities, combo, use the scrolls for a strategical gameplay, and it has alot of different levels. Yes it's mainly focused on the beating all the enemies, but with bigger maps, challenging bosses and there are all of the turtles togheter.

Quote:
Is Portal Power good?
I'm not into the mobile games, so I never tried it.

VICTORY!"
Old 04-13-2020, 04:52 PM   #30
Leo656
The Franchise

I got my NES up and running (YES! ) so a couple'a days ago I took a swing at TMNT 2: The Arcade Game and TMNT 3: The Manhattan Project for the first time in, I'unno, maybe 15 years. More than ten, for sure. Really been looking forward to it, glad I finally got the chance. TO clarify, I do have the actual arcade game (or rather, its Xbox Live counterpart) on my Xbox 360 and have played that one several times in recent years, it's specifically my NES games I haven't had a chance to get to for a long time.

I still like both games a lot, but it's an interesting perspective given how much time has passed but also how many other games I've played since then. As beat-'em-ups go, they are decidedly kinda average, although definitely upper-tier compared to what was available on the NES at that time. TMNT 2 is more iconic, mostly due to that awesome opening level, but the gameplay itself is rather busted. Basically, doing anything except the jump kick is a waste of time and you're going to take a hit. I'm used to busting out multi-hit combos in these types of games now, so it was quite an adjustment going back to the second TMNT game and discovering that trying to hit anyone more than once in a row was a huge mistake. You'd assume that you'd have a reach advantage, but no; if you try and hit anyone twice in a row, they'll get a hit in on you while your second shot goes right through them harmlessly. Pretty annoying. I was able to adjust to it again, but I'd forgotten just how over-reliant on the jump kick that game was. You can pretty much go through the entire game without getting hit if that's the ONLY move you do, but that's pretty wack.

Manhattan Project isn't as fondly remembered - I assume it's because, unlike TMNT 2 or Turtles In Time it never had an arcade release - but it does quite a bit better than either of those other games. First and foremost, they fixed the gameplay by a ton so that ALL your moves are useful, and most of all they fixed the problem of trying to get multiple hits in without taking one yourself. That alone, along with the new flip move, improves the entire experience tremendously. It just plays SO much better than the second game. Adding mid-level bosses and much longer levels also made it a lot of fun and gives it some decent length. It doesn't overstay its welcome but it gives you a lot of "meat" compared to the other two TMNT beat-'em-ups in that series.

Altogether, it's like, TMNT 2 has some of the more memorable levels and moments, but the gameplay is sort of busted. Turtles In Time has the best graphics and gameplay by far, but is frustratingly short compared to 2 or 3. And then 3 has the best overall design as far as length, lots of bosses, enemy variety, etc., and sits right in the middle as far as gameplay - better than 2, but not as smooth as IV.

This is how I felt a few years ago, too, but it's nice to have it confirmed. They're all good games but I feel like people only really remember 2 so fondly because of nostalgia. Neither the NES or actual arcade version were fantastic as far as gameplay, but the arcade game specifically had incredible presentation that I feel is what people remember more than actually playing it.

Really wish they'd like, maybe added a few more levels borrowed from or "inspired by" Manhattan Project to the first half of Turtles In Time and back-loaded the time travel levels. Then it would at least feel like a complete game. I think it took me an hour and a half or so to finish Manhattan Project, compared to 23 minutes for TMNT IV. That's just f*cking goofy no matter how good the game is. But if they'd taken some of those levels from TMNT 3 (or similar) and stuck 'em on TMNT IV, then it's a whole different conversation.

I also played the NES version of Bad Dudes for laughs, and yeah, the TMNT beat-'em-ups on NES were light years ahead of most.

I also don't think I'm gonna try the first NES game again because f*ck that f*cking game.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:08 PM   #31
DonatelloDomeHead31
Stone Warrior

Favorite TMNT game? There's actually a tie:

(1) Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time SNES--graphics were good, level music enjoyable, and the storyline.

(2) Ninja Turtles 2: Back from the Sewer for the Gameboy...again, good music and the levels were alright. I miss the classics...

I also liked Tournament Fighters but for the SNES, not so much the Genesis version.

Donatello: Pork rind.
Donatello: Yeah, a few inquiries.
Donatello: Turtles don't migrate, Raph. Birds do!
Donatello: Have you seen the way this guy drives?
Donatello: 0.00000003%!
Donatello: I don't know, but it doesn't look good...
DonatelloDomeHead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:41 AM   #32
Garfield
Hench Mutant

My favorite is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters (Super Nintendo)

Been playing it for years, I love fighting games from the 90's. I love the characters, the music, everything about it really.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:55 PM   #33
oldmanwinters
Overlord

The original NES release. It teaches boys to become men.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:05 PM   #34
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
I mean, someone can go ahead and do an RPG if they wanna, I'd be perfectly fine with that. They won't, though.
There already have been a few RPGs. There's TMNT: Legends, there's also those mobile games based off of the 4Kids series.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:13 PM   #35
Leo656
The Franchise

Well, I don't pay attention to mobile games and I'm one of those assholes who doesn't count them on the list. So obviously I wouldn't know about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
The original NES release. It teaches boys to become men.
Also, how to violently curse.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #36
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

For me the only TMNT games that are worth a damn are the old ones, though I love the gameplay of Out of the Shadows...

My tops:

TMNT The Arcade game - 1989 (The NES Version was okay too)
Turtles In Time: The Arcade game - 1991
TMNT 3: The Manhattan Project - NES - 1991
Hyperstone Heist - 1992
TOURNAMENT FIGHTERS - But I can't remember which version is better, THE NES or GENESIS version.

I like The first 2K3 game on Gamecube. The sequel, Battle Nexus I found DIFFICULT AS ALL HELL.

Out of the Shadows was fun to play but they reminded me of The Bay Turtles and I don't know, it just seemed goofy.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:04 PM   #37
Leo656
The Franchise

I can't say I've actually ever heard anything positive about the Genesis Tournament Fighters. I still actually haven't played it, but I remember when it was new the reviews were mediocre-to-lousy, and especially in recent years the opinion has turned pretty sharply against it. Sega Lord X was particularly vicious in a recent appraisal of it. I still plan to get it one day, but everything I've seen suggests that the Genesis version simply wasn't a very well-made game. Which is a shame, because there's some characters in it I wish were in the SNES version, and the SNES version is pretty damn sweet on its own.

I only played the NES version once, as I recall, so I can't much speak to that one, either. Wish it wasn't so rare and expensive. Really kicking myself for not buying it cheap when I had the chance.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:51 PM   #38
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I can't say I've actually ever heard anything positive about the Genesis Tournament Fighters. I still actually haven't played it, but I remember when it was new the reviews were mediocre-to-lousy, and especially in recent years the opinion has turned pretty sharply against it. Sega Lord X was particularly vicious in a recent appraisal of it. I still plan to get it one day, but everything I've seen suggests that the Genesis version simply wasn't a very well-made game. Which is a shame, because there's some characters in it I wish were in the SNES version, and the SNES version is pretty damn sweet on its own.

I only played the NES version once, as I recall, so I can't much speak to that one, either. Wish it wasn't so rare and expensive. Really kicking myself for not buying it cheap when I had the chance.
Oh man, yeah, haha... It was the SNES version of Tournament Fighters I was thinking of. Yeah, that's a great game. The Genesis version is probably the weakest of that particular game. I remember, for its time Tournament Fighters had the most realistic sprites for TMNT characters of any TMNT game up to that point. Weren't they more based on the live action movie appearances? I kinda think so. I remember Shredder having the purplish red outfit/armor and always thought those characters looked cool.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #39
Leo656
The Franchise

SNES Tournament Fighters is one of my all-time favorite "Games I'm Not Terrific At." I've beaten Karai several times but the game always hands me my ass a lot, first. Armaggon and Cyber-Shredder, particularly, aren't so bad once you remember the specific pattern for either but they're unforgiving as hell sometimes otherwise.

It's always a blast to play regardless, though. Looks great, sounds great, plays great. As I've said elsewhere and elsewhen, if someone ever said "SNES Tournament Fighters is my favorite TMNT game of all time", I might not fully agree but I wouldn't bat an eye, either. A very, very strong case can be made for it.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #40
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I recently discovered TMNT Rescuepalooza, essentially an update of early arcade and console TMNT games... classic beat-em-ups, but the difference in this game is more levels/stages and you can unlock like 60+ characters or something. It's the most fun I've had gaming in a long time.