The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 12-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #21
Blossombrooks
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
In IDW, Splinter is Yoshi reincarnated, so yes, the turtles would all be Hamatos in that incarnation, for certain. 4Kids is a bit tricky- Splinter himself was (IIRC) referred to by the Hamato surname, but his own sons weren't. He took Yoshi's family name to honor his master and owner, but didn't give it to his own family? That never made much sense to me. If anything, he should have at least corrected the Daimyo in Battle Nexus by addressing the question.
I hear you Ms M, but what I'm getting at is that even in IDW they're not actually referred to as Hamato, we can only assume they are but it's one of those things that's never really addressed head on in black and white. Also you've made me wonder now why Splinter never calls the turtles his previous incarnation's son's names? They stick entirely with what April named them. Hmm. I may have to write in about that

My vet automatically gives our pets the family surname. I always think its cute if I ring up for the cat's test results, it's like talking about a person.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #22
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Actually, it was discussed in the third issue, I think(not sure of exact issue #, as I only have it in TPB which doesn't # the issues), when they first mutated and Splinter said that since they had been given a new life, they should take new names that reflected their new selves- the ones that April gave them.

@ The Sewer Lord: My thoughts exactly. If Splinter was Slavic, then calling them "Splintersson" would have made sense. But he's not- he's from Japan(does a Japanese rat squeak in Japanese? How could one tell?), so the name of his owner (or family depending on which origin we're using) should be Hamato, and by extension, so should theirs.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 tv series, questions, splintersson