The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-01-2020, 11:19 PM   #21
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ya the quality looks professional. Its just a tiny clip but nice.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:50 AM   #22
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I took a look at the fan comics this series will be based on...only seven issues produced so far, but they're really good, there's even one focusing on Sally's mother. The most recent issue was a Bunny story. No sign of Robotnik just yet, the villains throughout are Snively and Nagus.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:12 AM   #23
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Was there even plans to feature Knuckles had the show gone on for another season?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:08 AM   #24
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Was there even plans to feature Knuckles had the show gone on for another season?
Maybe, he showed up in Sonic Underground and that had the same writer as Satam. Maybe it'd have had a similar plot.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:20 PM   #25
sdp
-

Things will get awfully furry in that fan made season 3. Season 2 had as good an ending as a show from the 90s ever would
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:28 AM   #26
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Things will get awfully furry in that fan made season 3. Season 2 had as good an ending as a show from the 90s ever would
It just sucks that it ended on a cliffhanger.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #27
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
It just sucks that it ended on a cliffhanger.
I always assumed those eyes belonged to Knuckles, but that was before I played the games and realized he wasn't a bad guy per say, just someone Robotnik tricked.

The only thing I don't like is that became part of his character or whatever. Like sure, the first time Robotnik tricked him, sure, he didn't know the guy, but to make him dumb enough to fall for it again and again just so you can have that Sonic 3 callback? C'mon.

It would be like 2K3 Leo constantly being tricked by Shredder just because he almost fell for it in season 1.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 08-04-2020, 02:11 PM   #28
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
I always assumed those eyes belonged to Knuckles, but that was before I played the games and realized he wasn't a bad guy per say, just someone Robotnik tricked.

The only thing I don't like is that became part of his character or whatever. Like sure, the first time Robotnik tricked him, sure, he didn't know the guy, but to make him dumb enough to fall for it again and again just so you can have that Sonic 3 callback? C'mon.

It would be like 2K3 Leo constantly being tricked by Shredder just because he almost fell for it in season 1.
Ironically, Knuckles being easily tricked or duped doesn't bother me too much. The guy does live in isolation and to me it shows that he's socially ignorant. In other words, there's a semi-legit reason why Knuckles falls for things easily or miss social cues because of his lack of interaction with people for such a huge chunk of his life, it's just been him as the last of his kind on a remote island...but I do agree about being tricked by Robotnic/Eggman beyond Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles. Being maybe tricked by others I can see, but not him beyond those set of games.

I also rather prefer Knuckles to be naive as opposed to just straight up brain dead, like he's portrayed in the Sonic Boom universe...but luckily that's a whole different canon.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #29
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Ironically, Knuckles being easily tricked or duped doesn't bother me too much. The guy does live in isolation and to me it shows that he's socially ignorant. In other words, there's a semi-legit reason why Knuckles falls for things easily or miss social cues because of his lack of interaction with people for such a huge chunk of his life, it's just been him as the last of his kind on a remote island...but I do agree about being tricked by Robotnic/Eggman beyond Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles. Being maybe tricked by others I can see, but not him beyond those set of games.

I also rather prefer Knuckles to be naive as opposed to just straight up brain dead, like he's portrayed in the Sonic Boom universe...but luckily that's a whole different canon.
Me too, though I do like how Sonic Boom Knuckles is dumb in sort of a brain dead dumb yet full of witty and clever commentary.

But yeah, tricked by others I'd possibly get, but falling for Robotnik past Sonic 3, no.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:59 PM   #30
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Me too, though I do like how Sonic Boom Knuckles is dumb in sort of a brain dead dumb yet full of witty and clever commentary.
Yeah! Despite his dumbness, it did grow on me because of this. I actually liked the show and the Fire and Ice game wasn't so bad.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:20 PM   #31
sdp
-

I can ignore that cliffhanger, I mean Robotnik was the bad guy and he was defeated, the eyes could've just been anything a one episode adventure solved offscreen. Besides I stick to the Sonic cartoon continuity theory where all 3 shows including Underground are together, why? Because outside of Underground having some big contradictions, it actually kind of works out, especially Adventures of Sonic the hedgehog being canon with SatAM, the christmas blast episode basically connects both shows. Is it dumb ? Yes, but so is this fan made third season which is somehow less official than my crazy theory.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:04 PM   #32
Leo656
The Franchise

It was confirmed a very long time ago (I forget by who) that the eyes we saw in the finale belonged to Naugus (or Nagus; it was spelled differently in the cartoon than in the Archie comic for some reason) and that he would have been the main villain for Season 3. Snively would also have done sort of a half-face turn early on due to being abused by Naugus so much, joining up with the Freedom Fighters to try and get rid of him.

That much I know for a fact was planned for Season 3, it was revealed like 15 years ago or so by either one of the editors or writers. I think Knuckles was also going to show up and Robotnik would have come back before the end of the Season, but those two things could just be faulty memory. The Naugus/Snively stuff was absolutely the plan, though. And I am almost positive that in the same explanation, the person said that while many people assumed those were Knuckles's eyes they in fact had other plans for him to show up later on. But again, don't quote me on that part.

But yeah, definitely Naugus. I wasn't aware some people hadn't heard by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Besides I stick to the Sonic cartoon continuity theory where all 3 shows including Underground are together, why? Because outside of Underground having some big contradictions, it actually kind of works out
"It kind of works, except for the fact that it so blatantly and openly does not work." Awesome. That's just as bad as the "All the Scooby-Doo shows take place in the same universe" thing even though they absolutely do not.

I can see how SatAM and Adventures can be linked if you squint - especially since the Archie comic was essentially Exactly That from the beginning - but Underground is clearly, clearly a totally different beast altogether.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:35 PM   #33
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

When I saw the final episode, I thought the eyes at the end belonged to Metal Sonic.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:50 PM   #34
Leo656
The Franchise

Nope!

I forget what I thought. I saw most of the series in reruns on USA Cartoon Express, mostly out of order, so I'm not even sure I was aware that was in fact the final episode.

Apparently most people assumed it was Knuckles, just because he was getting a big push in the games and hadn't appeared on the show yet. I probably would have thought the same, honestly. I remember people swearing it was Knuckles for the longest time before the confirmation otherwise came out. Although within the show's canon Naugus makes more sense since he'd been established not too long before, and him being done away with so quickly certainly leaves room for him to resurface as a bigger threat later on, especially with Robotnik "gone". Watching the show knowing what the plan for Season 3 was makes certain things jump out at you more when you understand the context. Like watching it now it's like "Oh, yeah, those are clearly Naugus's eyes," even just from the shape of them, and combined with the earlier episode and the benefit of hindsight it all makes perfect sense. But I can see how others may have thought differently at the time.

They sort of tried to make up for it by giving him a super-push in the comics, but I never really liked him much, quite frankly. His character design just screams "First Grade Create-A-Villain Contest". The comics even tried to give him an origin that explained him and it really didn't help anything. Maybe the show would have done him better, I'unno.

Old 08-08-2020, 01:18 AM   #35
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
When I saw the final episode, I thought the eyes at the end belonged to Metal Sonic.
Me too, I actually yelled "Metallix" at the scene.

(Metallix was the name the Fleetway UK Sonic comic gave Metal Sonic)
Old 08-08-2020, 04:07 AM   #36
Leo656
The Franchise

See, I'm curious as to why anyone would think that. I don't remember the show foreshadowing it in any way. And I feel like at the time it just would have made more sense to expect Knuckles, since he'd been around longer and been featured more prominently across all media and yet hadn't debuted on the show, either. Not that he was "foreshadowed" in any way, either, because he wasn't, it just felt like he was overdue by then.

It's just rather curious, to me. Obviously we were ALL mistaken, and even Naugus makes sense in hindsight BUT feels like a bit of a head-scratcher at first just because he's not even a game character so it's weird that he's put in such a prominent place. But when people say, "I thought it was Knuckles", that I can believe, kinda. Doesn't quite make sense, but sure, whatever. He really had no established personality yet, anyways, so sure. People were legit begging to see him get a spot on the show and were disappointed it never happened.

Metal Sonic, though? Interesting. Why? I'm just curious. Not saying people wouldn't have liked it or wanted it, just saying it feels like a bit of a reach. Probably because I don't think I ever heard that particular theory before so I'm curious as to what went into it.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:26 AM   #37
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Metal Sonic, though? Interesting. Why? I'm just curious. Not saying people wouldn't have liked it or wanted it, just saying it feels like a bit of a reach. Probably because I don't think I ever heard that particular theory before so I'm curious as to what went into it.
I was going by logical assumptions, Robotnik's modus operandi in Satam and main gimmick was he robotised many Mobians, Uncle Chuck, Bunnie, etc, so it made sense he'd prepare something similar for Sonic. Imagine if he had developed a Sonic 'bot that could operate on it's own and be able to ultimately assimilate it's quarry to complete it's transformation.

How much synergy was there exactly with the games for Satam? I know the chaos emeralds were used in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, and the time stones from Sonic CD played a part in "Blast From The Past", but was Sonic 3 even out by the time Satam ended? Was it on the horizon? Had Knuckles been even formerly announced by that point?
Old 08-08-2020, 04:42 AM   #38
Leo656
The Franchise

Fair points and decent questions. I couldn't really say, I probably didn't even see the final episode until 1996 or so, probably didn't even know it WAS the final episode when I did see it since I saw them out of order, and didn't hear about the "I swore it was ______!" stuff until I was on the internet, which would have been 2000 or so.

When people explained their Knuckles theories to me from their perspective, it made sense, but you're right, maybe the timeline didn't actually fit that well. Sonic 3 literally would have just come out by the time SatAM ended (Sonic 3 came out in February '94, SatAM ended in December '94), so it was really not possible for him to have been included in Season 2... but I can see how some fans might think teasing him for Season 3 would be a neat bit of cross-brand synergy. I see what they were getting at. And I think he WAS gonna show up in Season 3 as part of his huge debut push if memory serves... but he wasn't ever gonna be The Guy With The Eyes in any case.

Metal Sonic might have had a bit more wiggle room but timing-wise it still would have been a tight squeeze.

Story-wise, neither of those things would have made much sense without Robotnik being the one pulling the strings. Snively wouldn't have been smart enough to fast-talk Knuckles, and while I can see Robotnik having a Metal Sonic within that show's storyline, it wouldn't have made sense for him to not deploy it before that point, especially if it looked like he was gonna finally lose. Snively being the one to unleash it for the first time would have just been weird.

Realistically, given the show's set-up, its own internal logic and leaving the games' canon and any wishful thinking on the part of the viewers completely out of it... it really only could have been Naugus, even if that feels a little underwhelming. I know I sure didn't think much of it when I read about it. But it really was kinda the only thing that would have made any sense at all.

Old 08-08-2020, 05:50 AM   #39
ssjup81
Foot Elite

When I was a kid, I thought it was Metal Sonic too and was expecting Knuckles to show up.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:43 AM   #40
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

A Floating Island was introduced in the first episode of Blast To the Past. I like to think that Ben Hurst was hinting at something that could have related to Sonic 3 in some way.

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Floating_Island_(SatAM)

Maybe one of the SEGA corporations red-flagged Hurst's idea and maybe that's why Knuckles never showed up in SatAM.

As for Metal Sonic, SatAM did bring Uncle Chuck into the series. Metal Sonic wasn't dwelt on much since Sir Charles was a temporary antagonist until he took hold of two Power Rings within two different episodes, and eventually defected to The Freedom Fighters cause.

Last edited by DarkFell; 08-10-2020 at 05:53 AM.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote