The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 03-11-2021, 09:52 PM   #101
Prowler
Emperor

I've lost hope for a major TMNT game a long time ago.

The first ever NES TMNT game being so relentlessly difficult and having stiff jumping controls didn't really help either. That's the highest selling Turtles game to date, mind you. Not even the beloved Turtles in Time sold anywhere near it. So the main impression your average gamer who grew up in the NES days has of TMNT videogames is the first ever NES game. Let that sink in...
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:10 PM   #102
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
Hmmm, I can applaud the desire for consistency, but the old Konami games did still mix in a few things from other canons of the time. Depending on just how faithful they wanna be to the cartoon, I fear for what Slash would look like.
I wouldn’t be worried about that ... heck, even Manhattan Project and Turtles in Time used his Archie Comics / Playmates look.

NECA used his cartoon look for their 1987 figure because they’re sticklers (and rightfully so) for accuracy.
RaphaelinSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:41 PM   #103
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I've lost hope for a major TMNT game a long time ago.

The first ever NES TMNT game being so relentlessly difficult and having stiff jumping controls didn't really help either. That's the highest selling Turtles game to date, mind you. Not even the beloved Turtles in Time sold anywhere near it. So the main impression your average gamer who grew up in the NES days has of TMNT videogames is the first ever NES game. Let that sink in...
We don't have any real NPD numbers from that era so I have no idea where you can safely assume that.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:52 PM   #104
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
We don't have any real NPD numbers from that era so I have no idea where you can safely assume that.
Google highest selling NES games and NES TMNT always shows up in the top with at least 4M copies sold. I've never seen a an equivalent list for the SNES that has Turtle of Time in the the list of its highest selling games, so it can't have sold more than 1M copies at best.

Such lists have been circulating the Internet for ages now maybe they're not that accurate but I doubt it was one guy who pulled the numbers out off his ass one random day in 2004 and decided to upload it on Wikipedia with no one to date proving the data is wrong.

And is it THAT hard to believe NES TMNT sold more than Turtles in Time? NES TMNT came out in 1989. It was the first ever TMNT game that was released on a home console and right around the time where Turtlemania was starting to peak. Turtles in Time came out in 1992, which was arguably the last year where the Turtlemania phenomenon was still going strong. And it was a home console version of an already existing arcade game. So there ways of people playing it without owning a SNES. Can't say the same for the original NES game.

And the NES outsold the SNES too. It didn't have a strong competitor like SNES did with the Mega Drive. The NES mopped the floor with the Master System in Japan and the US. While SNES not only lost to the Mega Drive in Europe but also barely beat it in the US.

Seems logical to me.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:42 AM   #105
Shark_Blade
Emperor

The trailer reached over 1 million views in 1.5 day. Amazing just for a 2D beat em up game!

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:58 AM   #106
D-ray
Foot Soldier

I don't want to sound pessimistic or anything, but I don't think it will be anything special.

First of all: for the 100th, the 1987 style is still there.
I'm not entirely against the style, but damnit. People seem to know the
turtles only in this way. The problem is always the same: you'll get nostalgics to your side, but make an even bigger gap between the turtles and the newest generations.

Second thing: the gameplay looks damn monotonous.
Ok it's stupid to judge a game by it's trailer, but it looks alot like a BeatEmUp just like Turtle's in Time. I would be fine with that, if that kind of gameplay isn't extremely outdated now.
I don't know why, but turtle fans seem to ONLY like that kind of gameplay, old ones atleast.
Again, it will attract old players, but create problems with newer ones.

Third thing: the pixel art (god).
Probably the worst thing of all, the pixel art, damnit.
I was kind of ok when the "pixel art" trend went viral in 2014/2015, but we are going too far. The pixel art now has NO IDENTITY, which means that just because it's on pixel art, this game will look like the others, lowering sells even more.

Is a really poor and cheap try to give the turtles a new game, but...
you know... at least is something right?
Also, is on PC, which means I can easily try it.

The only good thing I hope, is that the game will support online multiplayer and it will NOT be the exact same gameplay of Turtle's in Time or the other Arcade TMNT games.

VICTORY!"
D-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:04 AM   #107
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Its interesting that Rise did not get a game made for it, All the past incarnation had games.
It did get a couple mobile games and online games if you count them.
Quote:
Where is the next Mutation game ?
It's on a Tiger handheld.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:58 AM   #108
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Now i would also love if it this kickstarted something like a fighting game, similair to that one Power Rangers game that released in 2018 (i think).
Not a huge budget, not much single player, but still a great game for online and keeps getting updates/DLC.
Mexiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:18 AM   #109
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ray View Post
First of all: for the 100th, the 1987 style is still there.
I'm not entirely against the style, but damnit. People seem to know the
turtles only in this way. The problem is always the same: you'll get nostalgics to your side, but make an even bigger gap between the turtles and the newest generations.
Maybe fact that pretty much all other TMNT versions ended up being niche or failures or niche failures has something to do with it?
It is not people's fault nor developers. No-one (without limitless amount of money) gonna make a game based on TMNT version most people don't know or don't care about.

Quote:
Third thing: the pixel art (god).
Probably the worst thing of all, the pixel art, damnit.
I was kind of ok when the "pixel art" trend went viral in 2014/2015, but we are going too far. The pixel art now has NO IDENTITY, which means that just because it's on pixel art, this game will look like the others, lowering sells even more.
Sorry, but this bunch of dumb ********.
Pixel art can have an identity, depending on developer. And I take (good) pixel art over 3D any day. It is modern 3D styles which barely has an identity nowadays.

Quote:
Is a really poor and cheap try to give the turtles a new game, but...
you know... at least is something right?
Also, is on PC, which means I can easily try it.
"Cheap and poor?"
Mates, we have a guy who played this game already it seems!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Nah, if this game does well then they'd just keep cranking out more games in the exact same vein, or adding DLC content to it. For as cool as this could be, it's a pretty clear sign that they've completely given up on ever doing a "real" TMNT game in the near future. And that's disheartening.

Better than nothing, I guess.
Little games can be as "real" as the big ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
How fitting...
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:28 AM   #110
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah I wonder if people here are "new" to videogames or something. Smaller type of 2D games and indie games have been the norm for the industry since the PS3/360 days. Most of the best reviewed games each generation are 2D sidescrolling games every gen.

Streets of Rage 4, River City Girls, etc. just came out the last year and got critical acclaim and this is in the same vain.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:29 AM   #111
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Summary from a Discord user who listened to the conversation:
- It's not easy for a small French indie team to get these licenses, but making more and more games made it easier.
Editor Dotemu is from France. The studio Tribute Games is from Québec. Wich I am from. So I'm very happy that our guys are making this ^^
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:33 AM   #112
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Google highest selling NES games and NES TMNT always shows up in the top with at least 4M copies sold. I've never seen a an equivalent list for the SNES that has Turtle of Time in the the list of its highest selling games, so it can't have sold more than 1M copies at best.

Such lists have been circulating the Internet for ages now maybe they're not that accurate but I doubt it was one guy who pulled the numbers out off his ass one random day in 2004 and decided to upload it on Wikipedia with no one to date proving the data is wrong.

And is it THAT hard to believe NES TMNT sold more than Turtles in Time? NES TMNT came out in 1989. It was the first ever TMNT game that was released on a home console and right around the time where Turtlemania was starting to peak. Turtles in Time came out in 1992, which was arguably the last year where the Turtlemania phenomenon was still going strong. And it was a home console version of an already existing arcade game. So there ways of people playing it without owning a SNES. Can't say the same for the original NES game.

And the NES outsold the SNES too. It didn't have a strong competitor like SNES did with the Mega Drive. The NES mopped the floor with the Master System in Japan and the US. While SNES not only lost to the Mega Drive in Europe but also barely beat it in the US.

Seems logical to me.
Speculation, many of those numbers come from sites that have nothing to back it up and they use them as sources from wikipedia, We only have NPD numbers starting in the 2000's, anything before that is just based on what other people said on interviews or pure speculation which is not reliable.

Turtle mania was dying by the time turtles in time came out but counting how many people played it and how many copies are out there it's safe to say it sold plenty. I never really saw TMNT 1 on the NES as a kid, none of my friends had it but they all had TMNT 2 the arcade game. That's hardly evidence but TMNT 2 came out in 1990 at the height of turtlemania so it's easy to believe that it sold far better than TMNT 1 on the NES. Again it's all speculation I wouldn't be surprised if TMNT 2 or TMNT 4 were the highest selling games. Either could be wrong, clearly there's no "definitive" answer though.

Quote:

oh damn, Rise of the TMNT just got pwned
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #113
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

Quote:

oh damn, Rise of the TMNT just got pwned
http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/qXdti0GqZrY/mqdefault.jpg
There are rumors that a Next Mutation game was in development for the original Playstation, but I've never found any hard evidence of that, other than maybe an uncredited sentence in an old game magazine.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #114
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Over 1.1m Views now!
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:16 AM   #115
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah I wonder if people here are "new" to videogames or something. Smaller type of 2D games and indie games have been the norm for the industry since the PS3/360 days. Most of the best reviewed games each generation are 2D sidescrolling games every gen.

Streets of Rage 4, River City Girls, etc. just came out the last year and got critical acclaim and this is in the same vain.
I'm wondering the same thing. I mean look at a game like Hades too.

Just because it's not someone's stylistic choice doesn't mean it's any more or less of a game. More and more of critically acclaimed and crowd pleasing titles over the last few years have been 2D/smaller games.

Not everything needs to have a Cyberpunk 2077 style ambition ... could usually that results in a game like Cyberpunk 2077.

Kind of reminds me of people who say "there's no good music these days!" and only listen to the radio.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:21 AM   #116
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Little games can be as "real" as the big ones.
I think the fact that the bar is now set exactly as high as it was set in 1992 is a little bit troubling, or should be.

It's like a 35-year old grown man going to the gym and being impressed with himself that he lifts exactly the same amount of weight as he did as a high school Freshman. "We've made Zero Progress in all that time" should never be something to be overly proud of.

And for me, I can't help but think about how it wasn't all that long ago that a lot of people were like, "Man, I'd love a TMNT game that ripped off the Arkham games, or even Injustice!" And no, those things weren't realistic to hope for, but at least there were aspirations. And in the unlikely event they ever came to pass, they would have indeed been incredible.

It amazes me how fast everyone just "gave up", did a 180 and now it's like "Yeah nah nevermind this 1992 stuff is fine, that's all I need." Again, people can try and spin it however they like, it's an admission of defeat.

"It doesn't get any better than THIS!" No, really... it DOESN'T.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:46 AM   #117
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

And for me, I can't help but think about how it wasn't all that long ago that a lot of people were like, "Man, I'd love a TMNT game that ripped off the Arkham games, or even Injustice!" And no, those things weren't realistic to hope for, but at least there were aspirations. And in the unlikely event they ever came to pass, they would have indeed been incredible.
I remember that's how the people behind "Out of the Shadows" (the born-digital video game... not the Bay-verse movie) promoted their creation. Obviously, it fell well short of that Rocksteady standard.

View my sketch work!
Old 03-12-2021, 10:51 AM   #118
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, that was plain and simply a lie.

I think that game is pretty decent, obviously far short of Arkham but to be fair most things are. They never should have used THAT as the benchmark for a straight-to-download budget title. I can't help but wonder if it would have been better-received, even just a little, if they hadn't lied and set everyone's expectations way too high.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:53 PM   #119
oldmanwinters
Overlord

For those of you who assume the game will be loaded with playable characters on Day 1, this comment from a member of the TributeGames Dev team on the official Discord might disappoint you:
Spoiler:
As for playable characters, it's the four turtles. We get that people want more, but we've done a LOT of work giving each turtle their own animations rather than palette swapping one turtle sprite with different weapons. Their different run cycles from the trailer is just one part of how they vary. . . .
As for different skins, it's not my department, but not it's not planned at the moment. We're still working on the big stuff!

View my sketch work!
Old 03-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #120
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

I mean all signs point to this being a 2022 release, right? Just based on their previous reveal trailer to actual release date timeframes?