The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Toys and Collectibles

Notices

Old 06-15-2021, 01:12 PM   #201
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Saw this in a Facebook group and thought it was brilliant. I never thought of doing this before, but what a great way to have your cake and eat it too!

Guy nicely box-knifed his box into a frame for wall display. Brilliant.

https://i.imgur.com/AQebhawl.jpg

F*cking brilliant.

MOTU fans are the coolest. I was looking on the .Org at some guy's foamcore Grayskull Dungeon diorama and I must've jizzed at least twice. These cats are nuts, in a good way.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:10 PM   #202
IMJ
Emperor

Managed to stumble upon a Battle Armor He-Man and two of the Deluxe Hordak's at a local Target today, which were good finds because they were sitting there unpunched, which means that I can also cancel my (more expensive) BBTS pre-order on those....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:48 PM   #203
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Managed to stumble upon a Battle Armor He-Man and two of the Deluxe Hordak's at a local Target today, which were good finds because they were sitting there unpunched, which means that I can also cancel my (more expensive) BBTS pre-order on those....
I just found both of those at target yesterday. I also found a Castle Grayskull at Wal-Mart which allowed me to cancel that on BBTS. I remember Leo said they were placing the Grayskull boxes in the mega construx section instead of the figure aisle and when I checked , there one sat!
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:58 PM   #204
Leo656
The Franchise

Despite some foolish rumors, Mattel insists that the Origins line is continuing, and apparently they now can do more She-Ra characters if enough people ask.

http://thefwoosh.com/2021/07/mattel-...of-sdcc-event/

As I suspected, they kind of dulled the roar for "Origins" a little while they prepared to release "Masterverse" alongside the new cartoon series but they presently have no plans to end it, with more stuff to be announced soon.

The brief bit about playsets not being a good fit for the modern retail market kind of makes me think they won't end up doing a Snake Mountain or anything, but we'll see. I mean, he's not wrong - the cost of decent-sized playsets nowadays means that most people just won't buy them; one of the few cool things from the "Rise of TMNT" toy line was the sewer playset but that thing just sat around for months until it got Clearance'd - but since they did Grayskull I'd love to see them do Snake Mountain even if it's the only other one they do.

Old 07-20-2021, 01:24 PM   #205
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

58BD12AA-5A63-402F-A238-09784E31AC86.jpg

Not crazy over these and certainly not going to bite given the price! Don’t hate the designs but I definitely don’t love them and I don’t like the scale. I’ll stick with origins.
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:10 AM   #206
Leo656
The Franchise

So this is interesting. Mattel recently filed trademarks for the following character names:

Swift Wind
Snout Spout
Faceless One
Whiplash
Eldor
Rio Blast
Entrapta
Despondos
Kol Darr
Ram Ma'am
Songstro
Madame Razz
Queen Marlena
Mantenna
Flutterina
Modulok
Dylamug
Flogg
King Grayskull
Double Mischief
Evelyn Morgan Powers
Vikor
Shadow Beast
Battle Lion
Unnamed One
Questor
Scorpia
Mosquit-Ra
Phibian

This is very interesting for multiple reasons. First of all, it's a mix of characters who had vintage figures, characters from the original She-Ra cartoon and toyline, some "New Adventures" characters, some who were created for MOTU Classics, and some who never had toys at all.

Most of these, if not all, are most likely going to be released in the Origins line, which is very exciting. But some of them could very well come out in the Masterverse line, as well, since it's been said that once they get done doing "Revelation" they'll be using Masterverse to explore some of the other MOTU iterations.

Seeing some of the She-Ra and New Adventures characters in the same scale and style as the Origins/vintage figures for the first time is VERY exciting.

For those unaware, "Evelyn Morgan Powers" is Evil-Lyn's real name. I wonder what that figure would look like.

ALSO. They're apparently going to be doing He-Man and Skeletor figures for Origins based on the 1987 movie, as well. Neat!

Lots of interesting things coming up, it seems.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:03 AM   #207
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
So this is interesting. Mattel recently filed trademarks for the following character names:

Swift Wind
Snout Spout
Faceless One
Whiplash
Eldor
Rio Blast
Entrapta
Despondos
Kol Darr
Ram Ma'am
Songstro
Madame Razz
Queen Marlena
Mantenna
Flutterina
Modulok
Dylamug
Flogg
King Grayskull
Double Mischief
Evelyn Morgan Powers
Vikor
Shadow Beast
Battle Lion
Unnamed One
Questor
Scorpia
Mosquit-Ra
Phibian

This is very interesting for multiple reasons. First of all, it's a mix of characters who had vintage figures, characters from the original She-Ra cartoon and toyline, some "New Adventures" characters, some who were created for MOTU Classics, and some who never had toys at all.

Most of these, if not all, are most likely going to be released in the Origins line, which is very exciting. But some of them could very well come out in the Masterverse line, as well, since it's been said that once they get done doing "Revelation" they'll be using Masterverse to explore some of the other MOTU iterations.

Seeing some of the She-Ra and New Adventures characters in the same scale and style as the Origins/vintage figures for the first time is VERY exciting.

For those unaware, "Evelyn Morgan Powers" is Evil-Lyn's real name. I wonder what that figure would look like.

ALSO. They're apparently going to be doing He-Man and Skeletor figures for Origins based on the 1987 movie, as well. Neat!

Lots of interesting things coming up, it seems.
Wow. And also the '87 movie thing is incredibly cool. It seems as if "Origins" is really becoming a "Masterverse" line just stuck in the "origins" theme by virtue of the design architecture.

We had a decent convo on a MOTU Facebook group where an O.P. asked the sort of childlike, cliche "will Origins Scareglow be worth a lot of money in the future?". Many of us, including myself talked about the current nostalgia trends and the "aging out" of collectors. And now after considering my own words, I'm also considering abandoning my "loose and unpunched" build of this collection for just "loose".

But the catch-22 is that the longer a niche line goes on, the more of the 'fringe buyers' trail off which leads to later waves of stuff become the key pieces. I'm pretty sure that if anyone does care about this figure line in 10 or 15 years, it will more likely be for the HTF Clamp Champ or Mosquitor deluxe figs or the upcoming "Green Goddess" for example, than it will be for the peg warming He-Man and Skeletors. But then again, who ever cares about that? I'm not going to retire on these things.... I'm already doing that with vintage TMNT....
Old 07-30-2021, 11:14 AM   #208
Leo656
The Franchise

As a general rule, Scare Glow always goes up. He has a neat look, he's always hard to find, and the figures always have a reputation for being even more scarce than they really are. Taken together, he's always predestined to become one of the "hottest" characters from any MOTU line.

I wouldn't recommend anyone plan to build a nest egg around Origins. BUT, every MOTU line has only gone up in price, sometimes skyrocketing out of nowhere. So anything MOTU is guaranteed to appreciate in value no matter what.

Twenty years ago, you could get a loose/complete vintage He-Man for about ten bucks. Now it's around a hundred. Even the New Adventures figures, which NOBODY wanted back in 1990, are starting to get up there now.

There's a ton of speculative inflation happening right now with all the hubbub surrounding the brand, so secondary prices are artificially high right now. But I do think the Origins figures will go on to fetch decent prices in the years to come. Especially given that they're "Just like the vintage ones, but better."

Consider that "Classics" came out for $20-30 each in 2008, and now average around $200-300 for any "main" character. Now, that's "collector line" vs "retail line", but frankly these Origins figures probably aren't being produced in numbers that are astronomically higher than Classics were. Just something to consider. I don't see this line going that way but you never know. I can see in-package figures going for over a hundred within a few years, for sure.

Old 07-30-2021, 12:39 PM   #209
IMJ
Emperor

I'm still waiting on my Zoloworld pre-order for their new case....

I love the Zoloworld stuff, but with two caveats - they really dropped the ball on never making cases for 90's Marvel and you have to wait longer for them to fulfill an order than NECA and that's saying a lot....
Old 08-01-2021, 05:35 PM   #210
Leo656
The Franchise

Just like with the other stuff, I've been letting my MOTU stuff pile up for a few weeks. Tons of great stuff!

I got the new Origins Wind Raider a few weeks back, and it's AWESOME!

Like a lot of Origins, it improves on the original in just about every way. It's a good bit bigger than the vintage one, there's a button that launches the grappling hook, there are handlebars for the figures to hold and it comes with a display stand. Super cool.

CLAMP CHAMP!

Never had him as a kid, cool to finally have him.

Time for variants! First up, the "Lords of Power" Mer-Man!

Honestly, I like this one better than the regular one. It's got the superior head that the original artwork teased way back in the day (before cheaping out and giving us the standard "cat's head" sculpt), the extra bits of flair on the belt and the boots. When you put this one and the regular Mer-Man next to each other, it's no contest.

Next up, the 200X version of Evil-Lyn!

Just a straight recolor of the regular figure, but still cool.

Some regular Origins figures with Fisto and Faker!

I got one of the weird Fisto figures that only has one sideburn. Weird.

Stratos! Ninjor! Tri-Klops! Whooooo!

Pretty straightforward stuff. Ninjor is another one I never had as a kid, so it's great to have this one!

(Cont.)

Old 08-01-2021, 05:56 PM   #211
Leo656
The Franchise

Time for a double-dose of Hordak! We've got both the standard-issue and Buzz-Saw versions here.

I love how happy the alternate head on Buzz-Saw Hordak is.

A few months after I got Battle Armor Skeletor, I finally have the accompanying Battle Armor he-Man!

The extra vintage head is a nice bonus for people who hate the Origins He-Man head. Much has been said about how the chest plates on these figures are a lot smaller than the ones on the vintage figures, but I'm honestly not gonna cry about it.

It's been a while since I bought any MOTU Classics figures - mostly because they're all so crazy expensive. But I couldn't help but splurge on Teela... even though I did buy her loose/complete so I could save about fifty to a hundred bucks...

This is the first MOTU Classics figure I've bought loose, and therefore the first one I've actually had my hands on. She's great! Although apparently her head being a bit loose is just something that happened to all the Teela figures in that line; it's not too bad, though. There are a couple of tiny dark spots on her - one on her neck and a couple on her back - looks like something that just happens naturally with the plastic. But it came with all the accessories - alternate "snake armor" head, sword, shield, Staff of Ka, Zoar, Zoar's perch and Zoar's armor - and the seller even threw in the cardback, which was nice of them. One reason I've been avoiding buying these loose is because I really want the cardbacks and Bio cards, so that was a nice bonus.

With most of the "main" characters in Classics going for $200-300 lately, I'm going to have no choice but to go this route for some of them. Thankfully, most people who bought these and opened them just stuck them on a shelf and never moved them, so they tend to be in great shape even used.

Finally, I went to Target today hoping to find a few things. They didn't have exactly what I was looking for, BUT they did have the new "Masterverse" Battle Cat based on his "Revelation" design!

This thing is HUGE! Almost twice as big as the standard Battle Cat from the vintage and Origins lines. I knew it was big, but actually seeing it up close was a shocker. Tons of articulation, too.

I'm all caught up on Origins, for now, so I'm going to be looking for the Masterverse stuff. So far nothing from Wave 1 has been at Wal-Mart when I've gone there, and Target didn't have Skelegod like some others have. I'll wait a few weeks, see if they turn up, and if they don't I'll just order them online.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:59 PM   #212
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Just like with the other stuff, I've been letting my MOTU stuff pile up for a few weeks. Tons of great stuff!

CLAMP CHAMP!
Never had him as a kid, cool to finally have him.
Me neither - by the time he was released I had sort of moved on from MOTU as a kid. I'm glad that they put him in the series so early with Origins!

Quote:
Time for variants! First up, the "Lords of Power" Mer-Man!

Honestly, I like this one better than the regular one. It's got the superior head that the original artwork teased way back in the day (before cheaping out and giving us the standard "cat's head" sculpt), the extra bits of flair on the belt and the boots. When you put this one and the regular Mer-Man next to each other, it's no contest.
Exactly. I feel exactly the same way. I'm sort of ready to pick up a bunch of the first MOTU O Mer-Man and call him the "generic army builder fish guy" and make the LOP figure the Mer-Man!

Quote:
Next up, the 200X version of Evil-Lyn!

Just a straight recolor of the regular figure, but still cool.
I like this one better too - colored like the cartoon instead of the weirdo yellow Lyn....

Quote:
Some regular Origins figures with Fisto and Faker!

I got one of the weird Fisto figures that only has one sideburn. Weird.
Fisto was actually my first MOTU toy as a kid. It was hard to find He-Man but Fisto was around at the time! Love that character!

Quote:
Stratos! Ninjor! Tri-Klops! Whooooo!

Pretty straightforward stuff. Ninjor is another one I never had as a kid, so it's great to have this one!
I can't wait - I've got a pretty ginormous pile of loot building up at BBTS right now. I'm waiting on some more Iron Man stuff to show up before I ship, but this wave of MOTU O is there waiting to come home....
Old 08-02-2021, 09:52 PM   #213
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, I love that Origins isn't doing a "straight" reissue of everything in the vintage line in the order they came out, and instead is mixing it all up. It's nice to get some of the late-release guys so early in this line. Plus, looks like we might get Rio-Blast after all! At least if the recent trademark filings are anything to go by.

Getting a bunch of She-Ra characters in MOTU-scale for the first time ever would be awesome, too. Something tells me that's what they were trademarked for (although some of them will probably show up in Masterverse as well). I wasn't allowed to go down the "pink aisle" at the toy store when I was a kid so I wouldn't have been able to get the She-Ra toys anyway, but my cousin had them and when I finally saw hers I was immensely disappointed that none of the characters were in-scale with the regular MOTU toys. So here's a chance for Mattel to right a wrong. Fingers crossed!

Old 09-13-2021, 10:06 AM   #214
IMJ
Emperor

Well got everything, including Sun-Man from the Mattel Creations drop today except for Faker with his cat, which is weird that sold out literally while I was checking out.....
Old 09-14-2021, 02:42 AM   #215
Leo656
The Franchise

Damn you. Nah I'm only a little jealous, good for you man.

I never did one'a these before. Their store clock was initially screwed up until like an hour before! Thank God I was on the .org and someone pointed it out in a thread, like "It says it's in two hours but it's only an hour, guys, just FYI" but then the thing was fixed like two minutes later so someone caught it in time. But I was planning to be ready for 1pm EST and it was 12.

You (and others) must've been a little quicker on the draw than me; I had everything loaded up, but one by one stuff got Sold Out; first the Horde set, then the Faker set, then Sun-Man... I ended up getting Tri-Klops and the Secrets of Grayskull pack, and that one is the thing I wanted most anyway so I could "finish" my Castle Grayskull, so I'm okay.

Mattel announced at the Con that the line will be going on for a long time to come, so some less-exquisite versions of some of the stuff I missed should come out eventually anyway even if it's not as nice. Sun-Man in regular Origins packaging is already confirmed; that Con packaging is neat but I'm not gonna cry about not having it. They've already done two Hordaks and several recolored versions of other characters, so I can definitely see Blue Hordak coming out on a single card. Regular-colored Horde Troopers are a sure thing; I really like those red and black versions but they're "not canon" so I'll be okay if those don't come out again. Grizzlor's coming for sure. I can see Leo Faker and Dupli-cat getting single-pack releases.

The only thing I don't think will come out again in any form at all is the stuff in the Grayskull pack, that's why I was nervous to not get it. The rest, I'll be shocked if it doesn't come out in the regular line with some minor cutbacks. Like I don't think Faker and Cat will come out in a box together but they'll probably come out separately with maybe a little less detailing.

If they keep in line with how they've already managed things, I can see most or all of the Exclusives coming out in retail form sometime in 2022, given how the variants from the "Lords of Power" box set ended up coming out about a year and change later.
-----------------

Some nice news about the future of the line coming out of the Con, too, apparently. Stuff lined up for 2023 at the least, two vehicles per year... this thing is turning out to be HUGE! I can't believe it. Playsets aside, we might end up getting more figures and stuff in this line than we did with the original!

Old 09-14-2021, 10:18 AM   #216
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Damn you. Nah I'm only a little jealous, good for you man.

I never did one'a these before. Their store clock was initially screwed up until like an hour before! Thank God I was on the .org and someone pointed it out in a thread, like "It says it's in two hours but it's only an hour, guys, just FYI" but then the thing was fixed like two minutes later so someone caught it in time. But I was planning to be ready for 1pm EST and it was 12.

You (and others) must've been a little quicker on the draw than me; I had everything loaded up, but one by one stuff got Sold Out; first the Horde set, then the Faker set, then Sun-Man... I ended up getting Tri-Klops and the Secrets of Grayskull pack, and that one is the thing I wanted most anyway so I could "finish" my Castle Grayskull, so I'm okay.

Mattel announced at the Con that the line will be going on for a long time to come, so some less-exquisite versions of some of the stuff I missed should come out eventually anyway even if it's not as nice. Sun-Man in regular Origins packaging is already confirmed; that Con packaging is neat but I'm not gonna cry about not having it. They've already done two Hordaks and several recolored versions of other characters, so I can definitely see Blue Hordak coming out on a single card. Regular-colored Horde Troopers are a sure thing; I really like those red and black versions but they're "not canon" so I'll be okay if those don't come out again. Grizzlor's coming for sure. I can see Leo Faker and Dupli-cat getting single-pack releases.

The only thing I don't think will come out again in any form at all is the stuff in the Grayskull pack, that's why I was nervous to not get it. The rest, I'll be shocked if it doesn't come out in the regular line with some minor cutbacks. Like I don't think Faker and Cat will come out in a box together but they'll probably come out separately with maybe a little less detailing.

If they keep in line with how they've already managed things, I can see most or all of the Exclusives coming out in retail form sometime in 2022, given how the variants from the "Lords of Power" box set ended up coming out about a year and change later.
-----------------

Some nice news about the future of the line coming out of the Con, too, apparently. Stuff lined up for 2023 at the least, two vehicles per year... this thing is turning out to be HUGE! I can't believe it. Playsets aside, we might end up getting more figures and stuff in this line than we did with the original!
I'm glad you got the Grayskull pack - I know that one was huge for you!

I was really on the fence for how to do this for many of the reasons you mentioned above and then some. By the time it wrapped up this is how it played out for me:

-I watched the countdown timer on the creations site with a separate window opened for each item and I made sure I was logged in on each window about a minute before the timer ended.
-I bought one Tri-Klops rather than two because I've got the Origins Tri-Klops and having a loose example of the colored variant would have done nothing for me
-I bought 2 of the Sun-Man because I thought he was pretty cool and I figured one would be worth opening. But now I'm second-guessing doing that because he isn't on a standard MOTU O card back and I can't help but wonder if he will get a regular release at some point. So most likely the second MOC Sun-Man I picked up will become eBay store fodder, although that wasn't my initial plan.
-Picked up 2 of the Grayskull accessories pack because that was a truly useful and neat set and I can see myself picking up a Castle at some point. I've never owned a Castle Grayskull before, so if I do I'll open one of the packs for it. If I never do, I can see this particular pack being the aftermarket mover forever.
-I bought 1 Horde set. This was the one I figured I'd want multiples of, but honestly, it was just too expensive for me to buy another one right now, and quite frankly (and unfortunately) I can see that whole set getting standard releases at some point. So I've got one. It will stay MIB with the rest of my carded set.
-I had a Faker in the cart, but when the checkout page loaded, it was noted that he was sold-out. That was crazy - at that point I thought my whole order was a done deal.

On that note, I received my order of newly designed MOTU cases from Zoloworld, so my MOC set is looking really pretty. While residing in a crate. In storage. Probably forever.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #217
Leo656
The Franchise

I forget when it's coming, and I forget when they announced it, but Sun-Man is definitely getting a single-card release in the Origins line, along with two other characters from that line ("Rulers of the Sun"), the villain and one of the other heroes. I think back in the 80s that line only had 6 characters produced out of 10 advertised, no word yet on if the others will be integrated into Origins down the line but Mattel does have the rights to them now, so if the first three do well then they'll probably hit the others too.

They'll be on a regular Origins card and not the Con Exclusive "Sun-Man" packaging, though, so even when the retail Sun-Man comes out the collectors will still have something to crow about.
--------------

Tons of stuff is going to be coming out for both Origins and Masterverse, all through 2022 and even 2023. What we know about for the next 12 months so far is:

ORIGINS

- Buzz-Off
- Jitsu
- Flying Fists He-Man
-Terror Claws Skeletor
- Mini-Comics Trap Jaw (first appearance recolor)
- Mini-Comics Stratos (first appearance recolor)
- Anti-Eternia He-Man
- Clawful
- Sorceress
- Kol-Dar (created for the Filmation cartoon; notable because it shows that Mattel can now do figures that were created for or only appeared in that cartoon show, which they weren't able to before)
- Stridor (which means Night Stalker can't be far behind as they're literally the same sculpt in different colors)

MASTERVERSE
- Fisto
- Andra
- Stinkor
- Scare Glow
- King Grayskull
- Trap Jaw
- Tri-Klops
- "New Eternia" He-Man & Skeletor, with some sort of Viking aesthetic. Still not entirely sure what the "New Eternia" sub-line entails

I think I also read that "Classic Teela" will be available in Masterverse as well but it's not on the list I'm looking at right now for this.

Yeesh! What a time to be alive.

Last edited by Leo656; 09-14-2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:34 AM   #218
IMJ
Emperor

Yeah at some point I'm going to have to cut off compiling both a loose and Mint-on-unpunched-card set that I've been working on with the MOTU O line.

But even that's a tough call because the longer a line goes on the more people abandon the 100% collections and later wave stuff always becomes the pricier pieces. But at some point, something is going to have to give where I'm buying only to open or I buy to keep MOC and that's that. All of my loose stuff is in the acid-free bags that I sell and in an action figure briefcase right now. It's going to be possibly years before I rotate them into a display.

So I'll keep supporting this line because it's just a lot of fun, but right now my MOTU O collection is more like a.... -ahem- Horde.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #219
IMJ
Emperor

Haven't been into this thread in a month or so as things have been quiet, but I did pick up a Castle Grayskull from Target tonight using their 25% off a single toy coupon. It wasn't planned, but it was sitting there on a shelf inches away from the discount sign, so I loaded the coupon into the Circle app and said "f it, now I've got a Grayskull".
Old 10-24-2021, 10:20 PM   #220
Leo656
The Franchise

That's awesome. They're going up, so good on you. I saw one at the flea market today for $150.

Can't have a MOTU collection without at least one Grayskull. It's blasphemy.