The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-03-2021, 08:59 PM   #281
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Mortal Kombat at least made it clear that people are interested in the franchise. Hopefully it gets another shot with a bit more budget put into the creative team.
Problem is all MK related media was quite successful in recent years, from web-series to comics. And every time when it looked like it was a good time to expand the effort...Warners got cold feet and things were quite until next game.

Volume 2 of comic was cancelled, web-series got shoestring budget for the second season and the third web-series, based on MKX was finished and then shelved.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:51 PM   #282
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post

Okay, this was great. I'm also glad I'm not the only one who thought of his armor as Aquaman-ish. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
What was the last anime movie that really shook things up and was revered?

Fist of the North Star (1984)
Akira (1988 )
Ninja Scroll (1993)
Ghost In The Shell (1996)
Ponyo (2009)

Attack On Titan has been a big game-changer for the medium, but that's T.V. I'm talking straight up, anime movie, largely recognized on a scale that most other anime isn't. Those five I listed are sort of widely accepted as moving the medium forward or game changers. What have we had maybe since Ghost In The Shell and after Ponyo?
My friend's son (he's going on 16 this year) really likes Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia and some other series that I know nothing about. If I do decide to watch something, I could be rewatching something or either something that's older. I just recently finished up a series I started about 20-something years ago (originally saw it on TV on an international channel) and finally finished up now. Blue Seed (which is a show from 1994), which was a bit more annoying in some ways than I recalled. The most up-to-date thing I've watched lately was some series called Boku Dake ga Inai Machi and it takes place in 2006 and 1988 and forgot where it ends up. I think it wraps up in 2008. Forgot how old he was at the end. The series itself was released in 2016 and it was recommended to me a couple of months ago. I liked the references that the kids of his class brought up, like the still new Final Fantasy for the Famicom and the shows they would've been watching (which I asked my friend about since he has a year on me and is Japanese and probably would've been watching them). lol Anyway, the show was okay, I guess, but too much suspension of disbelief in some parts, imo. It was also a short series.

Spoiler for Boku dake ga Inai Machi summary:
The apathetic main character wants to be a manga artist and keeps striking out. He works at a pizza shop. He has this weird sense about him where he can predict things before they happen, or something like that or he goes back slightly in time somehow. He refers to it as "Revival" and he has managed to help people, like a kid he saw was about to get hit because of this "revival" thing and he managed to prevent it. Anyway, he's accused of a murder and his revival power sends him back to 1988. He's in his 10/11-year-old body, but still has his modern day mind and he's reliving events he's already been through. The murder of the one close to him in the future that he's being blamed for, he figures that it must be connected to a classmate of his that went missing and was later found murdered at that time.

Last edited by ssjup81; 05-03-2021 at 11:12 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:38 AM   #283
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post

Okay, this was great. I'm also glad I'm not the only one who thought of his armor as Aquaman-ish. lolMy friend's son (he's going on 16 this year) really likes Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia and some other series that I know nothing about. If I do decide to watch something, I could be rewatching something or either something that's older. I just recently finished up a series I started about 20-something years ago (originally saw it on TV on an international channel) and finally finished up now. Blue Seed (which is a show from 1994), which was a bit more annoying in some ways than I recalled. The most up-to-date thing I've watched lately was some series called Boku Dake ga Inai Machi and it takes place in 2006 and 1988 and forgot where it ends up. I think it wraps up in 2008. Forgot how old he was at the end. The series itself was released in 2016 and it was recommended to me a couple of months ago. I liked the references that the kids of his class brought up, like the still new Final Fantasy for the Famicom and the shows they would've been watching (which I asked my friend about since he has a year on me and is Japanese and probably would've been watching them). lol Anyway, the show was okay, I guess, but too much suspension of disbelief in some parts, imo. It was also a short series.

Spoiler for Boku dake ga Inai Machi summary:
The apathetic main character wants to be a manga artist and keeps striking out. He works at a pizza shop. He has this weird sense about him where he can predict things before they happen, or something like that or he goes back slightly in time somehow. He refers to it as "Revival" and he has managed to help people, like a kid he saw was about to get hit because of this "revival" thing and he managed to prevent it. Anyway, he's accused of a murder and his revival power sends him back to 1988. He's in his 10/11-year-old body, but still has his modern day mind and he's reliving events he's already been through. The murder of the one close to him in the future that he's being blamed for, he figures that it must be connected to a classmate of his that went missing and was later found murdered at that time.
But not a single anime movie in that list..... Those are all episodic shows, right? No new, game changing or cultural event movie?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:27 AM   #284
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
But not a single anime movie in that list..... Those are all episodic shows, right? No new, game changing or cultural event movie?
Oh, no movies. I was just pointing out what I'd seen and how little I know. ^^; I don't really watch much anime in general (haven't for many years) and I have to be in a mood to sit through a movie.

The last anime movie I watched a few weeks ago was Meitantei Conan: Konjou no Fist (Detective Conan: The Fist of Blue Sapphire). It was the 23rd film from 2019. Before that, I finally watched movie 22 from 2018. I was still in Japan for that one and even bought my movie ticket for opening weekend, like I always would do, but I was so tired (with a bad ankle), I just didn't go and that following week, I was returning stateside. I also finally watched movies 16 and 17 of Detective Conan. When 16 was out, I had just moved back to Japan and was getting used to the new area I was in and going to the movie theater would've been a long walk given the town I was in. With movie 17, I was moving from one part of Japan to another part and never got around to seeing it in theaters. I am looking forward to movie 24 (based on the tease at the end of movie 23). It was pushed back due to COVID to this year. First time that a DC movie hasn't been shown in theaters over there since it began in 1996. I know some who have seen it and enjoyed it and said that the movie 25 preview looks promising. So yeah...that's the extent of my usual anime movie watching...just Detective Conan. I only stick with the manga and the movies as I grew bored of the anime years ago.

As for that Boku dake ga Inai Machi series, as mentioned, it was a short series (12 eps). Its manga is somewhat short too (only 9 volumes, 49 chapters), so it's no surprise there's no movie for it, I suppose.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:40 AM   #285
IMJ
Emperor

Ok yeah. I would say that other than Attack On Titan, I am pretty firmly stuck in the 90's in my anime and anime properties. I will still check out Ghost In The Shell, but again my gateway to that was the original movie. It'd be the same as me following something new from Ninja Scroll if they did that now. It's a no-brainer for me.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:47 PM   #286
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The Liu Kang actor is calling out Amazon for a lack of diversity on the new Lord of the Rings series:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/video...gs.5034.1ish65
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:09 PM   #287
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The Liu Kang actor is calling out Amazon for a lack of diversity on the new Lord of the Rings series:

Lord of the Rings is quite literally based on Anglo-European culture and mythology.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:59 PM   #288
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Is this guy retarded?

As it was said, LOTR is based on European legends. If he wants to see some black and Asian people in fantasy movies...he can always make a movie based on their cultures.

Also, I wonder would he make the same complaint aimed at Indian, Chinese or Japanese movies based on their legends? Since I doubt they feature any "diverse" characters whatsoever.

But apparently only White people must **** up their art works to include "diverse" characters.

I'd call this idea "racism" and thus this idiot "a racist".
**** him.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:00 PM   #289
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:

Argh. Here we go again. Guess his characters will die in the sequel and Cole will step up.

I swear these actors need a class in 'no one gives a **** what you think'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:37 PM   #290
Leo656
The Franchise

I hope he speaks in Haiku in real life the way he did in the Mortal Kombat movie.

Y'know, the "dramatic pause after every three or four words, with a lot of random points of emphasis" thing he did for the entire f*cking movie. That's gonna be my most enduring memory of him since he did very little else of relevance.

"Lord of the Rings... needs more... Asians. The one you call... Frodo... could maybe be... Chinese." I really wanna pretend it went exactly like that.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:28 PM   #291
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Y'know, the "dramatic pause after every three or four words, with a lot of random points of emphasis" thing he did for the entire f*cking movie. That's gonna be my most enduring memory of him since he did very little else of relevance.

"Lord of the Rings... needs more... Asians. The one you call... Frodo... could maybe be... Chinese." I really wanna pretend it went exactly like that.
So he spoke like Shatner?
Old 05-16-2021, 06:29 PM   #292
Leo656
The Franchise

No, no, he made Shatner sound like Patrick Stewart by comparison.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:04 AM   #293
ssjup81
Foot Elite

If Lord of the Rings was taking place in modern-day New York or something, maybe I could get behind him on the diversity thing, but come on! It's Lord of the Rings! Look at who wrote it, when it takes place, and all that stuff, unless he wants to see some Asian Hobbits and Dwarfs and Elves or something. I wish people would just keep those kinds of opinions to themselves and offline.
Quote:
I hope he speaks in Haiku in real life the way he did in the Mortal Kombat movie.
And all this time, I thought he was supposed to be Chinese.
Quote:
Just playing Devil's Advocate, that's not *really* Haiku (then again, who knows, I wasn't counting syllables and lines ). He just seemed to fall under the trope of wise Asian dude who is calm and zen (but...to be fair, isn't that technically his game character anyway, having been raised by the monks?). I still liked him though because I found him so adorkable, especially when he offered his fire to warm up Cole's should be deader than dead and fatalitied family.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:14 AM   #294
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
No, no, he made Shatner sound like Patrick Stewart by comparison.
It is tragic. Or hilarious.

Good thing I've never planned to pay for this movie anyway...
Old 05-17-2021, 09:27 AM   #295
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Siro, taja and vorpex need to be in the sequel
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:14 PM   #296
Sumac
Banned

Another crossover between Terminator and MK?
Old 05-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #297
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Will finally see it this weekend. Sorry Leo, I'm not filming my reactions at the theater, lmao.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:12 PM   #298
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's weird to say but this movie will only be retroactively good if there's a sequel. If this is just one and done the movie is a huge missed opportunity since it's Mortal Kombat Zero rather than Mortal Kombat 1. If a sequel builds up upon this one and either reduces Coles role or does something different with him, this movie will be justified.

Also kinda sad the actor who played Raiden had absolutely no charisma and was completely dull.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:33 PM   #299
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think both the Raiden and Shang Tsung actors were letdowns, honestly. They should have aimed a little higher, at least with those two.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:02 PM   #300
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:

African American Gandalf: "I'm Ganda'f the Black, y'all, and I come back to yous now 'cause we about to bust a cap in them orcses' asses, y'know what I'm sayin'? Shiiiet, I'm 'nna make that fool Sauron ma beeeatch!" (throws gang signs)

Asian American Gandalf: "Fry, you foors!"

Latino Gandalf: "Look to my coming at first light of the fifth day. At dawn, we cross the border to the East."

In all seriousness, though, I'm not sure he'd like to see the kind of roles non-Caucasian actors would get in such an event, considering the likely (and quite a bit more textual than subtextual) inspiration for the orcs and the various Eastern peoples of Middle-Earth...
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote